SInGAPORE_AIR

British Airways "Humiliates" Australian Man

Sun Aug 27, 2006 7:42 pm

Abdiwahaab Mohamed - an engineer with CEA Technologies at Fyshwick - says he was told by British Airways staff he could not board his flight from Dubai to London because his route "was suspicious".

"I think they suspected me of being a terrorist. Maybe it was my last name, Mohamed." "I never had any troubles when I was boarding from London. But going back there, then you become suspicious. "[British Airways staff] asked me why I needed to go to Dubai to shop when there were shops in London? But it is my right to go wherever I want ... I understand aeroplanes need to ensure the safety of their passengers, but you have to draw a line somewhere."

More at The Canberra Times

Abdiwahaab Mohamed chose to fly Singapore Airlines Limited the next day.
Anyone can fly, only the best Soar.

aussiestu

RE: British Airways "Humiliates" Australian Man

Sun Aug 27, 2006 8:20 pm

Quoting Singapore_Air (Thread starter):
Abdiwahaab Mohamed chose to fly Singapore Airlines Limited the next day

But Singapore Airlines does not fly DXB-LHR??? Sounds pretty suspicious to me  Wink

EK773

Sun Aug 27, 2006 9:19 pm

Sorry for pointing out the obvious but every other passenger passing through DXB could have Mohamed as part of his name so i doubt that could be the reason why.

SInGAPORE_AIR

Sun Aug 27, 2006 9:30 pm

It's unclear but I'm guessing he was flying DXB - LHR - Australia.

Gr8Circle

Sun Aug 27, 2006 10:19 pm

More details required on this incident before ANYONE on this forum can draw conclusions.... smile 

MRURUN

Sun Aug 27, 2006 10:25 pm

That doesnt make sense, and is not even economical! Surely, DXB-SIN-AUST or HKG or KUL or CGK, one doesnt fly FCO-GVA-MLA or CWL-GLA-SOU?

Glom

Sun Aug 27, 2006 10:27 pm

I thought it was about rugby.

MRURUN

Sun Aug 27, 2006 11:04 pm

He was there for the Sevens you mean? Not this time of year? I have a vague memory of a schooltrip there for the sevens and I could swear it was October/November.

carduelis

Sun Aug 27, 2006 11:28 pm

Quoting Gr8Circle (Reply 4):
More details required on this incident before ANYONE on this forum can draw conclusions....

Quite right!

Interesting is that the 'news' has taken nearly a month to surface!

From memory, all the check-in desks in DXB are manned by a handling agent . . .

Sounds like more media hype reported by the aptly named OP.
Per Ardua ad Astra! ........ Honi Soit Qui Mal y Pense!

Sun Aug 27, 2006 11:35 pm

Quoting Aussiestu (Reply 1):
But Singapore Airlines does not fly DXB-LHR??? Sounds pretty suspicious to me

The entire story make no sense: The Canberra Times article states Mr. Mohamed was denied boarding in Dubai for a flight to London. He stated that he had no trouble boarding in London? Singapore Airlines "arranged" for flight to Australia the next day?

I think BA was with right to deny boarding to someone who wants to fly to London one day and the very next day accepts a flight to Australia. Why was he trying to go back to London, if Australia was in fact his destination? There is a lot more to this story than the newspaper is reporting.

elal 744

Sun Aug 27, 2006 11:41 pm

Here is what happened – in my opinion .

The passenger was singled out because of a number of factors: age, sex, traveling alone and suspicious routing.

While being questioned, he got upset or took offence to the line of questioning. It is possible that as an Australian he thought he was above suspicion. (Before you tear my head off about the last line, let me tell you that I have seen this happen with people from many countries while going through security at Ben Gurion Airport in Israel). Then he lost his cool, made a scene, perhaps said some regrettable words, and perhaps stormed off, so BA kicked him off the flight.

Had he kept a cool head and been polite, gracious and understanding, none of this would have happened.

Even though I am carry both US and Israeli passports, travel extensively and am hardly match the profile of a terrorist, I have been questioned, often at length, during pre-flight security. There is nothing to be done in these days other than to think positive and keep calm, even when the spotlight of security is trained on you.

Again, this my opinion only
Vercere bracis meis

Lufthansa747

Sun Aug 27, 2006 11:59 pm

Quoting 474218 (Reply 9):
I think BA was with right to deny boarding to someone who wants to fly to London one day and the very next day accepts a flight to Australia.

Yeah sure  Yeah sure  Yeah sure

The most common routing for extra miles on xONEx RTWs (Oneworld Explorer) happens to be LHR-DXB-LHR-SYD/MEL-back to Asia. LHR-DXB-LHR perhaps a sameplane return.

Rules allow one Europe-Middle East as European sectors and two entries to Asia, one being a single plane service to Australia without a stop in BKK/SIN.

I'm not saying he was on a RTW, but your argument is moronic at best.
Air Asia Super Elite, Cebu Pacific Titanium

MRURUN

Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:33 am

Quoting Lufthansa747 (Reply 11):

I thought, for miles, it was the AUH-MCT or BAH-DOH infamous runs!!! I've done quite a number of DONE's but never gone that-a-way.

Each to their own I suppose!

Mir

Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:48 am

Quoting Singapore_Air (Reply 3):
It's unclear but I'm guessing he was flying DXB - LHR - Australia.

Now that is some serious FF miles!  biggrin 

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

Lufthansa747

Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:00 am

Quoting MRURUN (Reply 12):
I thought, for miles, it was the AUH-MCT or BAH-DOH infamous runs!!! I've done quite a number of DONE's but never gone that-a-way.

Yeah, AUH works for a few more miles. But the DXB schedules are more convenient.

Also, HKG-KHI is allowed as intra-asia sector... 

Also, DFW-ANC-DFW-SJO-LAX-SJU-DFW-FRA gives some serious mileage for the North America part if you don't care about destinations. Not sure how many overnights that requires.

[Edited 2006-08-27 18:04:43]

MRURUN

Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:04 am

Quoting Lufthansa747 (Reply 14):

Hmm, mental note to self!!

Lufthansa747

Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:06 am

Quoting MRURUN (Reply 15):
Hmm, mental note to self!!

I don't think I'd go through the hassle for a Pakistani visa for miles, so as far as I'm concerned Asia part seems to be limited to HKG-CMB/CGK/DPS/CTS for me.

777236ER

Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:16 am

Quoting ELAL 744 (Reply 10):

Had he kept a cool head and been polite, gracious and understanding, none of this would have happened.

That is a complete guess.
Your bone's got a little machine

cfalk

Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:34 am

I am 100% behind the idea of profiling. But this is stupid.

If the subject acts suspiciously, or has a suspicious route, or his name is Ali or Muhammed, you can seach his belongings and otherwise examine him carefully. If nothing shows up, you send him on his way. You cannot deny a person passage just because he fits a profile. A profile is only an indication that a person deserves closer scrutiny.
The only thing you should feel when shooting a terrorist: Recoil.

ikramerica

Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:49 am

Maybe the BA agent just couldn't understand why someone (an engineer, especially) would go through the expense of flying to DXB just to go shopping when he's going to Australia the next freaking day, and not just going to DXB as an intermediate point.

I personally don't understand it.

Not saying I'd deny him the flight since he's doing nothing wrong, but I just don't understand that mentality at all.

But only because I hate shopping!  Smile

I mean, if he said he was taking the flight just because he loves flying and wanted to see Dubai, that's an explanation I can wrap my heart around. But shopping? Blech!
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

afay1

Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:50 am

I think the point is that this story never happened, as so many details are impossible. It is similar to the one Soups made up about british passengers refusing to fly with a pilot with an arabic sounding name that he said was being reported by CNN. It turned out it never happened and was just some flame-bait...kinda like this one...

MRURUN

Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:56 am

Quoting Afay1 (Reply 20):

Ooooh, missed that one on CNN!!

Motorhussy

Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:43 am

Quoting ELAL 744 (Reply 10):

Kind of hard to be gracious and understanding if you're the subject of an interrogation by an airline whom you have paid to fly with.

MH
come visit the south pacific

trekster

Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:00 am

With BA rtw fares, you cant go back on yourself.

So he would not of been allowed to go to LHR and then back the same way
Where does the time go???

Goodbye

Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:11 am

I think BA was with right to deny boarding to someone who wants to fly to London one day and the very next day accepts a flight to Australia. Why was he trying to go back to London, if Australia was in fact his destination?

What a ridiculous comment. How do you know why he wanted to go back to London?

So if I was staying in London, wanted to go to Dubai for some shopping/to see family/business before I left, then fly back to London to get my flight home, I should be denied boarding?

Get a clue man.

fbgdavidson

Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:18 am

Quoting Trekster (Reply 23):
With BA rtw fares, you cant go back on yourself.

So he would not of been allowed to go to LHR and then back the same way

Since DXB is counted as Europe for the purpose of RTWs he can fly LHR-DXB-LHR-SIN-SYD if he chooses.

He wouldn't be able to fly LHR-SIN-LHR because he'd have left Europe and gone into Asia.

I think BA was with right to deny boarding to someone who wants to fly to London one day and the very next day accepts a flight to Australia. Why was he trying to go back to London, if Australia was in fact his destination? There is a lot more to this story than the newspaper is reporting.

Wow, that is a ridiculous comment!...There are hundreds of reasons why he could have been returning to London before flying to Australia.

When my father was regularly working in the US my brother, mother and I would fly out to see him. If he finished his work early he'd fly back to the UK sometimes returning to the US the very next day. There are some things in the business world that can't all be done over email, video conferencing etc and this was in the early/mid 90s when these things weren't so prolific.
"My first job was selling doors, door to door, that's a tough job innit" - Bill Bailey

boysteve

Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:32 am

Quoting Fbgdavidson (Reply 25):
When my father was regularly working in the US my brother, mother and I would fly out to see him. If he finished his work early he'd fly back to the UK sometimes returning to the US the very next day. There are some things in the business world that can't all be done over email, video conferencing etc and this was in the early/mid 90s when these things weren't so prolific.

When I was a teenager my Dad worked in Abu Dhabi. He got leave 4 times a year and we would plan our annual family holiday around it. My Dad's work organised his flights AUH-LHR and return. One trip he flew Cairo-Heathrow-Abu Dhabi within 24 hours as a result.

SInGAPORE_AIR

Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:56 am

If some people bothered to open the full article:

"Mr Mohamed said he had stopped over in Dubai on his way to see his sister in London.

afay1

Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:09 am

There still isn't much of any evidence that this event even happened. I mean the guy is even quoted mixing-up physical, mechancial airplanes with an airline and the whole thing sounds so far fetched, not to mention that it implies that Singapore Air somehow rescued this guy by "arranging" his travel. If taking money for a ticket and then taking a flight amounts to the airline "arranging" something for the guy (if he exists), then I guess they did.

LO231

Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:15 am

Quoting Fbgdavidson (Reply 25):
Since DXB is counted as Europe for the purpose of RTWs he can fly LHR-DXB-LHR-SIN-SYD if he chooses.

I don't think you can back-track with RTW though...

Regards,
LO231
Got both LO 788 frames already, next LO E95 and 734 BRU-WAW-BRU

carduelis

Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:18 am

Quoting Carduelis (Reply 8):
Interesting is that the 'news' has taken nearly a month to surface!

From memory, all the check-in desks in DXB are manned by a handling agent . . .

Quoting Singapore_Air (Reply 27):
If some people bothered to open the full article:

"Mr Mohamed said he had stopped over in Dubai on his way to see his sister in London.

Quoting Afay1 (Reply 20):
I think the point is that this story never happened, as so many details are impossible. It is similar to the one Soups made up about british passengers refusing to fly with a pilot with an arabic sounding name that he said was being reported by CNN. It turned out it never happened and was just some flame-bait...kinda like this one...

As usual with so many of these postings, all sorts of totally irrelevant red herrings are thrown into the discussion, and the subject matter gets lost!

The subject header is 'British Airways 'Humiliates' Australian Man, and so far no evidnce to support that info has been produced. It allegedly happened almost a month ago, where check-in is done by handling agents for all airlines, so BA or any of those airlines can hardly be held to blame for this or any other DXB check-in related story.

Whether the humiliated man was on an around the world ticket bears no relevance at all to the discussion apart from the usual hypothesis and wild imagination of some of the posters.

The newspaper clipping also contains a well posed (almost studio quality) photograph of the poor man in question, waving his passport. It looks very much like the poor chap actually wallowed in the publicity almost a month after the alleged event! UGH!
Per Ardua ad Astra! ........ Honi Soit Qui Mal y Pense!

qantas787

Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:21 am

Quoting Lufthansa747 (Reply 14):
Also, DFW-ANC-DFW-SJO-LAX-SJU-DFW-FRA gives some serious mileage for the North America part if you don't care about destinations. Not sure how many overnights that requires

You cannot do any legs to ANC on Oneworld RTW tickets.
G'day

IFEMaster

Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:10 am

Quoting Singapore_Air (Thread starter):
"it is my right to go wherever I want"

When will people get it in to their heads that nobody has a 'RIGHT' to go to other countries. As some of you have said, this guy is telling his side of the story, which I speculate will have been chinese-whispered to death and isn't accurate. I'd love to hear the other side of the story and see the whole picture, because I think there's a good reason why he was denied boarding.
Delivering Anecdotes of Dubious Relevance Since 1978

fbgdavidson

Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:30 pm

From this thread penned by OWE experts...
From http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=338667

Quoting Qantas787 (Reply 31):

'Q: Are there any other restrictions that I have per region/continent?
A: Yes:

Europe - Not more than two Europe/Middle East segments may be used for journeys between the U.K. and the following: Algeria, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Georgia, Greece, Israel, Macedonia, Malta, Montenegro, Morocco, Funchal, Portugal, Romania, Russia, Serbia, Tunisia, Ukraine, and the Middle East. You get four segments in Europe, so if you go from Heathrow to, say, Dubai, you cannot then go from Heathrow to Greece and back.

Americas - Within North America, only one transcontinental flight is allowed between selected cities on the East and West Coasts. "Transcontinental" is defined as a flight between one of BWI/BOS/FLL/BDL/MIA/EWR/NYC/ORL/PHL/SJU/YYZ/WAS and one of LAS/LGB/LAX/OAK/SNA/PDX/SAN/SFO/SEA/SJC/YVR. Also, in North America only one segment is permitted between the continental US and Hawaii (so if you want to visit Hawaii, you must go to/from Australia), and only one flight to/from ANC (Anchorage, Alaska) is permitted.'

Quoting LO231 (Reply 29):

'Q: Can I backtrack?
A: You can backtrack within countries and continents, but you cannot re-enter a continent after leaving it, except: (a) a transit without stopover in Asia on a flight between Europe and SWP or vice versa, (b) a transit without stopover in North America on a flight between South America and SWP, Asia or Europe or vice versa, (c) a transit without stopover in Europe on a flight between Europe and
GHANA/NIGERIA/KENYA/UGANDA/TANZANIA or vice versa. Any of these transit without stopover benefits can be taken in either direction (eg. Europe-SWP or SWP-Europe) and either before or after you wish to enter the continent for the second time to use your stopovers there. You can only leave and re-enter the continent of origin once, except for North America where you may have an additional transit without stopover.'
"My first job was selling doors, door to door, that's a tough job innit" - Bill Bailey

qantas787

Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:15 pm

Quoting Fbgdavidson (Reply 33):
and only one flight to/from ANC (Anchorage, Alaska) is permitted.'

I am not sure where they came up with this one. On the flyertalk site it already states that you can't go on other airline codeshares, so therefore it precludes you from being able to do any legs to ANC. I will stand by this statement until somone proves otherwise. I am in the middle of booking a RTW Oneworld as I speak and the agent also says no way to ANC.
G'day

captaink

Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:24 pm

Quoting Ikramerica (Reply 19):
Maybe the BA agent just couldn't understand why someone (an engineer, especially) would go through the expense of flying to DXB just to go shopping when he's going to Australia the next freaking day, and not just going to DXB as an intermediate point.

I dunno, but that is the mans freaking business.

I too am up for profiling but with limits. The guy has a suspicious name and routing, well he needs to be searched, his bags, person etc. If all is clear the passenger has the right to fly to wherever he wants to go, even it is to EWR to get a direct flight to SIN to connect onto SYD, his money his business.
There is something special about planes....

nickofatlanta

Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:51 pm

Qantas 787 -
You can go to ANC on a oneworld explorer, but only seasonally ie only during the northern hemisphere summer when AA flies there with their own metal. You are correct that you can not use code-shares (other than code-share flights operated by other oneworld members) on oneworld explorers.

Lufthansa747

Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:08 pm

Quoting LO231 (Reply 29):

Yes you can. For example BKK-HKG-KHI-HKG-NRT-DFW-ANC-DFW-SJO-LAX-SJU-DFW-FRA-LHR-DXB-LHR-SYD-AYQ-PER-SYD-BKK is a perfectly valid routing.

Backtracking quite a bit, for example HKG-KHI-HKG, LHR-DXB-LHR and SYD-BKK.

See for yourself in MileageMonkey OWE validator if you don't believe.

http://slfft.allhyper.com/0.95/award.htm

Quoting Qantas787 (Reply 31):

Whatever, ANC is allowed on AA from both DFW and ORD whenever they operate those.

Lufthansa747

Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:10 pm

The above itinerary earns 143K (DONE4) and 158K (AONE4) award miles in AAdvantage FWIW.  Wink

AY104

Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:22 pm

I don't know why the finger is pointed at BA so often. There are so many major International carriers, and I am sure that at least one similar incident such as this happens every day. I constantly hear BA being blasted, in my book they are, as in this instance, doing their job well and being extra careful.
Cheers,
Carl (AY104)
The only thing a customer should expect for his/her loyalty is good service

qantas787

Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:45 pm

Thanks Nickofatlanta. Isn't it interesting how this thread got off topic.
G'day

Ken777

Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:46 pm

I've done TUL-LAX via AUA in order to catch a QF flight to SYD. The whole point of a RTW is to be able to see places you would not normally go to.

elal 744

Mon Aug 28, 2006 4:21 pm

Quoting MotorHussy (Reply 22):
Kind of hard to be gracious and understanding if you're the subject of an interrogation by an airline whom you have paid to fly with.

Take a deep breath and try.

Getting flustered, upset or abusive does not help in these situations. The security person or airline official may be having a hard day or just a butthead, but if you remain calm and give him/her no cause to further delay you, you can complain (or sue) later.
Vercere bracis meis

SInGAPORE_AIR

Mon Aug 28, 2006 4:42 pm

Quoting ELAL 744 (Reply 42):
The security person or airline official may be having a hard day or just a butthead,

It's only a shame you can never get such people sacked.

trekster

Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:19 pm

Singapore_air. You going to change the title seeing as though it was not a BA member of staff, but a handling agent that was advising the passenger this.
Where does the time go???