lightsaber
Crew

Why Is Orlando (MCO) Not A Key City For B6?

Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:31 pm

Maybe its just late...
But while looking at B6's route map I noticed that MCO isn't labeled a "key city." Yet it has more destinations than OAK or IAD (which are "key cities"). In fact, by my count, LGB and MCO share the same number of destinations. While I recognize LGB is the west coast base for B6; yet MCO is their service center. Is there a definition within B6 for a "key city?"

Or maybe I shouldn't be on the forums with a lack of sleep and leave the marketing guys who made the map alone.  Wink

http://www.jetblue.com/travelinfo/routemap.asp

Lightsaber
"They did not know it was impossible, so they did it!" - Mark Twain

MAH4546

RE: Why Is Orlando (MCO) Not A Key City For B6?

Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:41 pm

Mainly because jetBlue's Florida focus is Fort Lauderdale, even though Orlando does play an important role. They might not want to stray the focus from that. In addition, while I don't know this for a fact, I would be willing to be that more Orlando passengers than not or traveling to Orlando, rather than Orlando residents. A lot of Orlando's expansion, such as the Puerto Rico flights, has actually come as a direct result of jetBlue unable to secure gate space at FLL, so they did some successful building up of jetBlue in the medium term. The shift is supposed to focus to FLL in 2007, but, of course, they still don't have gate space. Orlando-Burbank, however, is ending in November.

None the less, with a rumoured crew base in 2007, and the almost certain fact that jetBlue will continue to add Orlando flights in the coming year, it could very well become an official focus city within the next year.
a.

WMUPilot

Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:00 pm

Not to mention the lack of gates that are available at MCO.
JetBlue - Bringing humanity back to air travel

akjetBlue

Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:07 pm

Quoting WMUPilot (Reply 2):
Not to mention the lack of gates that are available at MCO.

Oh there are plenty of gates on Airside 1 and Airside 4 - there is rumor of a move but it's only rumor... As for gates Orlando currently has 4 gates on Airside 2 - three of which we used on a regualr basis, the forth is used as an overflow during irregular operations. So there is the ability to add up to about +10 or so flights in addition to the current schedule that JetBlue operates in Orlando.
Save a horse! Ride a Cowboy!