nordiclight

Zeppelin LZ N07 Airship- Is It Still Flying?

Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:24 pm

I check my photos recently and find a picture of this beauty visiting in Helsinki few years a go. Does someone knows is this "giant" still flying ? I also remember that there was a project to launch "new" zeppelin to carry heavy cargo. Does someone knows what happend to this project?

LAXPAX

RE: Zeppelin LZ N07 Airship- Is It Still Flying?

Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:45 am

Good question! Some may also know this airship as the "Zeppelin NT". The most recent press release on the Zeppelin website is dated January 2006, and I believe it refers to a plan to build new airships.

(Curse me, I had 3.5 years' study of German language, and I've forgotten most of it!)

Regarding the heavy-lift airship: I have been hearing about this for years. I do know that the US Military has narrowed its search to two prototypes -- neither of which is the Zeppelin design.

Here's the website, in case you're interested:

http://www.zeppelin-nt.com/index.htm
"Remember, no matter where you go... there you are." -- Buckaroo Banzai

na

Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:39 am

The German project to build a large Cargo airship was cancelled a few years ago after the largest hangar in the world already had been built in the countryside souuth of Berlin. This hangar is now used as a fun park. Reason for the business closure was that the company "Cargolifter" needed more cash (200-300 Million Euros), more than they were able to raise.
As for the Zeppelin NT, last I heard they want to build a new one 2006/07 for service entry in Germany in 2008, to be used for touristic flights, and advertising of cause. Sadly one can´t call the airship a big commercial success so far, but a moderate one. They´ve only built 3 so far, one was sold to Japan 2 or 3 years ago. Number five is planned to be a new larger type named "NT14". Last time I`ve seen a Zeppelin NT flying was in the summer of last year. I would love to see the Zeppelin painted in silver like the great airships in the 20s and 30s, the white with blue cheatline of the current Zeppelins doesn´t look too good.

na

Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:44 am

One addition: Over the past 5 years the Zeppelin is flying it has reportedly carried 55.000 passengers, mostly on scenic flights circling the Bodensee area in Southwestern Germany. The Bodensee (Lake Constance) is Germany´s largest lake, where the Zeppelin factory is located, too.
There are 12 passenger seats on board a Zeppelin NT7.

LAXPAX

Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:06 am

Thanks for the information, NA. I hope that the Zeppeliln NT is ultimately successful. This airship carries a heritage that is one of the greatest in aviation. Maybe someday I will be able to visit the birthplace of the Zeppelin in Friedrichshafen.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © TZ Aviation
View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Oliver Jaeger

The photo on the left was taken on my birthday this year...nice present for an airship fan!  birthday   bigthumbsup 
"Remember, no matter where you go... there you are." -- Buckaroo Banzai

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos