arunswami

Late Night Intl Ops To/from India

Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:10 am

Hello everyone, this is my first time as a member on Airliners.net. I've been browsing the forums etc for more than a year. I have to say, during this period, I've learnt a lot about aviation and for this I have to thank everyone who has participated.
I've been wanting to ask this question for a long time, so here goes.

Why do most Intl operations arrive/depart between 11 PM and 6 AM LT. this makes it extremely inconvenient for passengers (incl. myself!!)
Is it because of better connections from point of origin or airline hubs, better aircraft utilization etc?
I would love to be able to land and takeoff from India during some sane hour rather than 2 AM.
Thanks

aa61hvy

RE: Late Night Intl Ops To/from India

Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:14 am

Quoting Arunswami (Thread starter):
s it because of better connections from point of origin or airline hubs, better aircraft utilization etc?

I know, at least to Europe, it makes sense as the planes all get back to their origins in the morning. Freeing up the planes for the remainder of the day.
Go big or go home

LAXintl

Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:15 am

Ultimately airline schedules are built outwards from a carriers hub to offer maximum connectivity. Add in issues such as curfews (at most European airports), such late night flying to places like India become quite a normal practice to make best use of aircraft assets.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

RobertS975

Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:24 am

Aircraft leaving India in the small hours of the morning arrive in Europe more or less at dawn and allow onward connections from the European hubs to other European destinations as well as North and South America.

Skyguy

Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:29 am

Quoting RobertS975 (Reply 3):
Aircraft leaving India in the small hours of the morning arrive in Europe more or less at dawn and allow onward connections from the European hubs to other European destinations as well as North and South America.

This is correct.

Most of these airports shut down after midnight for 5 hours or so thus making night arrivals/departures there impossible.
Many other airports in Asia and Africa are open 24 hours and also have several arrivals and departures at odd hours of the night.
"Those who talk, do not know, and those who know, do not talk."

ehho

Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:34 am

I like it, to be honest. Just got back from BOM this morning, on NW41, and I must say it's nice. I hung out with friends until 11pm in Mumbai yesterday, and was able to do a business appointment in The Hague at 9am this morning.

As Laxintl said, European airports have curfews due to environmental and hindrance legislation, which is absent in India. So, basically it's an extra perk that they can use those night slots. Also, the time difference with India is relatively small for such a big distance: 3.5 hours with CET. Now, if only BOM had an airport that wouldn't be such a craphole during those evening rushhours..  Yeah sure  sigh 

By the way, read in the Times while I was there that Mum might be getting a new airport? Anymore known?
"Get your facts first. Then you may distort them as much as you please" -- Mark Twain

AI

Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:34 am

In addition to ease of connections, if I am not mistaken its also got to do something with the amount of fuel used up during takeoff in warm weather, such that in hotter countries its economical for flights to takeoff during night time when the temperature is lower. But as I said earlier, I am not 100% certain about this

AI