csturdiv

PWK Get A New Name

Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:21 am

Palwaukee Municipal Airport in Wheeling, IL is getting a new name. It was announced yesterday that in October the airport will be renamed Chicago Executive Airport. I cannot find a link to this, other than a brief "flash" on Palwaukee's website (http://www.palwaukee.org/). In the news story that I heard on local radio (WGN 720AM) they mentioned that the name change was to help promote Palwaukee as a viable alternative airport for corp/biz jets.

Craig
An American expat from the ORD area living and working in SYD

desertjets

RE: PWK Get A New Name

Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:30 am

Quoting Csturdiv (Thread starter):
name change was to help promote Palwaukee as a viable alternative airport for corp/biz jets.

Huh????? When I still lived in Wheeling as a kid (86-91), the place was already buzzing with bizjets, and that was before they extended the main runway and redirected Wolf and Hintz Roads.

PWK, DPA, and to some degree GYY are the only GA relivers in Chicagoland that are reasonably close to downtown. And PWK has to advantage of being close to all the corporate office parks in northern Cook and southern Lake counites.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

Cubsrule

Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:47 am

Quoting DesertJets (Reply 1):
Huh????? When I still lived in Wheeling as a kid (86-91), the place was already buzzing with bizjets,

You know, I moved under the approach to 34 in 1990, and you're right. It's not like there's been an explosion of biz jets since then. The traffic really hasn't changed dramatically.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

csturdiv

Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:07 am

I know, I work in Riverwoods and see the flow of bizjets in and out of there. It is already busy, but I guess they still have room. My first flight lesson out there always holds a special memory...taking off before us was a Mustang P51 and when we landed, we held for traffic, which was a little stream of bizjets. That is about as close to a G IV that I'll ever get...other than in FS9. Smile
An American expat from the ORD area living and working in SYD