kaitak

EVA Air And PTY - A 772LR Route?

Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:43 am

Some years ago, EVA Air operated a 747-400 Combi route to PTY (Panama City), via the US (I think). Largely, it was a political move as Panama and other central American and Caribbean countries are among the few which still recognise Taiwan (as opposed to the PRC). However, leaving the politics aside, it occurred to me that the 772LR might be an ideal vehicle to restart this route.

At 8,435nm, it's just inside the 772LR's range (for comparison, SYD-LHR is 9,188nm), but the key advantage is that PTY, through a codeshare with COPA, could be a very effective hub for flights to Latin America. At present, only Korean Air and JAL fly to South America from Asia (okay, excluding Malaysia's Buenos Aires route) and this one would obviously be faster in many ways, particularly for ASEAN countries and of course, South American countries wishing to increase trade with this region. Clearly, there is a lot of potential for that to increase.

http://gc.kls2.com/cgi-bin/gc?PATH=t...&RANGE-COLOR=&MAP-STYLE=&ETOPS=180

Thoughts?

LH459

RE: EVA Air And PTY - A 772LR Route?

Fri Sep 01, 2006 4:25 am

Quoting Kaitak (Thread starter):
At present, only Korean Air and JAL fly to South America from Asia

KE hasn't served GRU for several years now. I believe the route was cut after 9/11.
"I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is temporary; the evil it does is permanent" - Ghandi

TR763

Fri Sep 01, 2006 4:37 am

Quoting LH459 (Reply 1):
I believe the route was cut after 9/11.

This route was cut years before 9/11.
The only airlines operating in the region are MH and JL.
But there's a strong competition among the American carriers to carry passengers from Latin America to Asia, connecting thru DFW, IAH, ATL, ORD or JFK.
I don't think EVA Air will find a good deal to operate this route. They could possibly invest in more non-stop European flights before going to PTY with the LR, IMHO.

Rgs!
TR763
Picture by Justin Cederholm at MCO.

LAXintl

Fri Sep 01, 2006 4:38 am

EVA's Panama flights while having a political component was more driven by Evergreen Marines big interest in Panama and the construction of a large port. EVA was able to offer a unique AirSea interchange product.
Passenger load wise the route was nothing short of terrible with many flights operating with less than 100 passengers, of which many were company seamen catching up with ships.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

LH459

Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:01 am

Quoting TR763 (Reply 2):
This route was cut years before 9/11.

I stand corrected! I remember seeing this flight at LAX in September, 1999, perhaps it was cut soon after.
"I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is temporary; the evil it does is permanent" - Ghandi

aa2mm

Sat Sep 02, 2006 1:14 am

I took the flights round trip from LA to PTY, on a BR frequent flyer award ticket. ( Can't remember what year !! ) Flights both ways were pretty full in Y, and from the way it looked, Economy Deluxe was empty. C and F were upstairs.
The amazing sights were the passengers mix : mostly Chinese with their red color passports and blue Panamanian passports. Don't know how it is now, but at that time, taiwanese passport holders did not need a visa for Panama, they charged a $US10 or $15 fee upon entry at the airport.
A very interesting note about BR : it was the first time I have ever seen this on an airplane : laminated cards in Chinese explaining the DOs and DON'Ts inflight. ( Roughly translated from Chinese : The Good Manners Inflight ).
Foods were mediocre and the FAs stood at their jump seat positions and bowed to the pax facing them after landing.

jacobin777

Sat Sep 02, 2006 1:38 am

Quoting Kaitak (Thread starter):
Some years ago, EVA Air operated a 747-400 Combi route to PTY (Panama City), via the US (I think). Largely, it was a political move as Panama and other central American and Caribbean countries are among the few which still recognise Taiwan (as opposed to the PRC). However, leaving the politics aside, it occurred to me that the 772LR might be an ideal vehicle to restart this route.

At 8,435nm, it's just inside the 772LR's range (for comparison, SYD-LHR is 9,188nm), but the key advantage is that PTY, through a codeshare with COPA, could be a very effective hub for flights to Latin America. At present, only Korean Air and JAL fly to South America from Asia (okay, excluding Malaysia's Buenos Aires route) and this one would obviously be faster in many ways, particularly for ASEAN countries and of course, South American countries wishing to increase trade with this region. Clearly, there is a lot of potential for that to increase.

http://gc.kls2.com/cgi-bin/gc?PATH=t...&RANGE-COLOR=&MAP-STYLE=&ETOPS=180

Thoughts?

Given that BR has changed their -200LR order to a -200F order, it doesn't seem to BR this route will be feasible right now with a -200LR..
"Up the Irons!"

kaitak

Sat Sep 02, 2006 2:39 am

There was talk of this, I know, but did it actually happen? This year's JP still shows 777-200LRs.

jacobin777

Sat Sep 02, 2006 3:05 am

Quoting Kaitak (Reply 7):
There was talk of this, I know, but did it actually happen? This year's JP still shows 777-200LRs.

scratchchin ..I was certain that they changed their orders to the -200F....

I'll try to look for some informaton..but I can't be 100% sure I'll be able to find it....
"Up the Irons!"

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos