AIR MALTA
Topic Author

BA And IB To Start Gibraltar-Spain Routes!

Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:29 pm

I foudn an interesting link :

http://www.panorama.gi/localnews/headlines.php?action=view_article&article=1366&offset=0.

It is said that BA and IB would start flights between Gibraltar and Madrid and Barcelona. They will have the monopoly on the route.
Next flights : BRU-ZRH-CAI (LX)/ BRU-FCO-TLV (AZ)

richardw

RE: BA And IB To Start Gibraltar-Spain Routes!

Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:22 pm

Quoting AIR MALTA (Thread starter):
They will have the monopoly on the route.

...until easyJet starts the route?

steve6666

Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:00 am

Quoting Richardw (Reply 1):
...until easyJet starts the route?

Unlikely - I believe the Spanish authorities have historically not permitted flights from Gib to the Spanish mainland, so unless another Spanish carrier were to get rights to fly the routes, its unlikely easyJet will.
eu nasci ha dez mil anos atras, e nao tem nada nesse mundo que eu nao saiba demais

egmcman

Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:25 am

GIB is an expensive airport to operate from so its unlikely to attract lcc's.

steve6666

Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:43 am

Quoting Egmcman (Reply 3):
GIB is an expensive airport to operate from so its unlikely to attract lcc's.

what, like monarch?

(ok, ok, I know, hardly Ryanair or easyJet, but not exactly a full service airline....)
eu nasci ha dez mil anos atras, e nao tem nada nesse mundo que eu nao saiba demais

MRURUN

Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:01 am

Are there any Gibraltarians on here with a view on this, in political terms?

LTU932

Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:37 am

Quoting Steve6666 (Reply 4):
what, like monarch?

Yet isn't ZB due to axe service to Gibraltar?

Quoting AIR MALTA (Thread starter):
It is said that BA and IB would start flights between Gibraltar and Madrid and Barcelona. They will have the monopoly on the route.

I was under the impression that BA already served GIB through their franchise carrier GT. Or is this going to be something different?

USAFHummer

Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:46 am

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 6):
I was under the impression that BA already served GIB through their franchise carrier GT. Or is this going to be something different?

The article states that the BA flights to be added would also be operated by GB Airways...and IB services will be operated by regional arm Air Nostrum...

Greg
Chief A.net college football stadium self-pic guru

JoFMO

Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:59 am

There was a longer article in the last issue of Airports about Gibraltar. They stated that is was so far forbitten so serve anything else than the UK from Gibraltar. No flights to Spain or the EU, although it would have a very nice location for tourists to the costa del sol, not to mention the Spanish cities of Algeciras etc. which would like to have a better connection to Madrid and Barcelona than currently.
But the problem for Gibraltar is that it is still an airforce base and operated by them. Rates are 5 times higher than at Malaga !!!
You even wonder that UK airlines are flzing there....

vv701

Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:09 am

The article states that the first services will be from GIB to MAD and BCN and GB Airways certainly does not currently operate those routes today.

Correct me if I am wrong but was not GB Airways founded as Gib Air originally operating flights across the Straits of Gibralter to North Africa? If so creating a mini-hub at GIB is rather like returning to their roots.

aamd11

Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:46 pm

Yes - GB was formed as Gibraltar Airways back in 1931 - serving Tangier, Morocco using some kind of flying boat.

Source: Wikipedia entry for GB Airways  Smile

lapper

Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:58 pm

Quoting Steve6666 (Reply 2):
Unlikely - I believe the Spanish authorities have historically not permitted flights from Gib to the Spanish mainland, so unless another Spanish carrier were to get rights to fly the routes, its unlikely easyJet will.

As reported on BBC website last night and in various newspapers this morning, Spain, Britain and Gibraltar have signed an agreement over access to GIB and communications lines.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/5355942.stm

There is also a thread on pprune about the new airport layout.

HUYguy

Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:24 pm

Quoting MRURUN (Reply 5):
Are there any Gibraltarians on here with a view on this, in political terms?

I was born there and go back there every now and then, so I suppose you could call me Gibraltarian. Could you elaborate on what you mean by political terms? Its great news for Gibraltar IMO, it'll bring more tourists in from the Spain that were previously put off by difficult access. With FlyGibraltar hoping to start in 2007, Gibraltar is going to be even more accessible to people and tourists.

Vasu

Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:44 pm

Quoting Lapper (Reply 11):
There is also a thread on pprune about the new airport layout.

Can anyone post a link to this?

ManchesterMAN

Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:46 pm

Quoting Lapper (Reply 11):
As reported on BBC website last night and in various newspapers this morning, Spain, Britain and Gibraltar have signed an agreement over access to GIB and communications lines.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/eur...2.stm

When did Air 2000 operate to GIB? (the BBC article has a picture of an AMM 757).

There is another article on the BBC website which gives a more indepth analysis of the situation and what it means (includes quotes from Monarch Airlines):

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/5357864.stm
Flown: A300,A319,A320,A321,A330,A340.A380,717,727,737,747,757,767,777,DC9,DC10,MD11,MD80,F100,F50,ERJ,E190,CRJ,BAe146,Da

sk736

Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:12 pm

Quoting Steve6666 (Reply 2):
Unlikely - I believe the Spanish authorities have historically not permitted flights from Gib to the Spanish mainland

Spain and the UK have just signed an agreement removing restrictions on civilian flights from GIB. IB will not have a monopoly as that would be illegal under EU law.

us330

Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:18 pm

Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought Gibraltar wasn't technically part of the EU due to its disputed status. Therefore, EU laws regarding monopolies would not apply.

lapper

Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:35 pm

Quoting Vasu (Reply 13):
Can anyone post a link to this?

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=244342

coyoteguy

Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:50 pm

Ahhh this brings back memories.... of the only time I ever flew on a Viscount... this beautiful creature
View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © TriplET

on a day trip from Gibraltar to Tangier and back. It was in the early 80s, maybe 81 or 82. We flew in to GIB from LGW on a BA 737-200, and spent a week there. I was a young kid at the time...  Wink As I remember, the Viscount continued operating the route until 1988 when it had a landing accident in Tangier and was written off. Don't know if the route operates any more, but I am assuming not. It was an interesting flight, very quick, and the single flight attendant's only duty was selling duty free cartons of cigarettes...

Also around was a 732 of GB airways, similar to this one:
View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Pedro Aragão

sk736

Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:43 pm

Quoting US330 (Reply 16):
Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought Gibraltar wasn't technically part of the EU due to its disputed status. Therefore, EU laws regarding monopolies would not apply.

Yes, I'm afraid you are wrong. In 1973 Gibraltar entered the European Economic Community, as a dependent territory in Europe, under Article 277(4) of the Treaty of Rome but was excluded, at the request of the Government of Gibraltar, from the common external tariff, the common agricultural policy and value added tax. Gibraltar even participates in European Parliament elections.

timboflier215

Wed Sep 20, 2006 4:58 am

This is great news. I spent some time in Gibraltar over the summer, and flew into and out of GIB on BA (ie GB Airways). Was a friendly airport, friendly flight and lovely island. Its good that they have this opportunity to expand now. Dunno how they will manage with the main road (the ONLY Spain-Gibraltar road!) cutting right across the runway. It's really quite a sight!

nickllhill

Wed Sep 20, 2006 5:25 am

Well having Lived in Gibraltar for 4 Years this is Great news, as an aside Spain are lifting a lot of different restrictions.

As far as I know the restrictions at the worst (in last 4 yrs) were

- No access to Spanish airspace direct from Gibraltar
This meant very bizarre approaches and turns
If a flight could not land (due to adverse weather etc) it would have to land
in Tangiers then fly to Malaga. So adding to inconvenience and cost.
- Flights ONLY to UK within the EU - ie illegal to fly from Paris to Gib

It was only last year a plane that had attempted to land in gib could go straight to Spain.

They propose a new terminal building in Spain this will allow people to travel within spain with no ID.

Do any other airports have a terminal in one country and the runway in another?

We just need to build a tunnel under the runway now, with more flights the level crossing will be a pain!

However it is VERY expensive to land in Gib, it's an RAF base and the MOD cover the extra costs for ATC etc from landing fee's. One of the reason Monarch moved the service from Manchester to Jerez, it was well used but the profit is bigger from XRY.

ZBA320

Wed Sep 20, 2006 5:49 am

Yet isn't ZB due to axe service to Gibraltar?

I think ZB dropped the route to MAN but is keeping the LTN route. According to a previous thread the MAN route was doing quite well in loading figures, don't know why ZB Dropped it. Probably something to do with utilizing the Aircraft better.
An Engineer made a bet that a 747 Gear wouldn't retract in a Hangar. He lost the bet.

rojo

Wed Sep 20, 2006 6:18 am

Quoting Nickllhill (Reply 21):
Do any other airports have a terminal in one country and the runway in another?

The Euroairport Basel / Mulhouse / Freiburg
IATA: BSL / MLH

vv701

Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:28 am

Both the runway and terminal at GVA are located in France. However a sprcial French sector in the terminal can be accessed from France - the Franco-Swiss border runs along the northwest side of the airport - without officially passing into Switzerland. I believe this access is via a tunnel under the runway (as the terminal is on the southeast side of the airport). I am sure someonre will correct me if this is wrong - I have only used GVA when travelling to and from Switzerland.