scbriml

Moscow Times: End Of Tax On Foreign A/c

Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:53 am

The Moscow Times is today reporting that the end of Russia's 20% duty on imported aircraft may be near.

Fair use extract:

Quote:
The Transportation Ministry will propose cutting or scrapping import duties on foreign aircraft, a spokeswoman said Friday, a day after the prime minister called for overhauling flight safety standards for the country's aging civilian air fleet and airports.

A proposal to change the unpopular 20 percent duty on imported foreign aircraft was to have been submitted to the government later Friday, a ministry spokeswoman said, speaking on condition of anonymity because the proposals had not yet been submitted.

The ministry is hoping to have the tax eliminated altogether, she said.

The full article at:
http://www.themoscowtimes.com/stories/2006/09/04/041.html

It seems the recent spate of accidents involving older aircraft may be raising the pressure to drop this basically protectionist tax.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!

steph001

RE: Moscow Times: End Of Tax On Foreign A/c

Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:03 am

Interesting... I wonder how the Russian Carriers and the planemakers will react on that.

Aeroflot777

Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:35 am

Quoting Steph001 (Reply 1):
Interesting... I wonder how the Russian Carriers and the planemakers will react on that.

As for SU, I highly doubt that it will change their plans for the RRJ order. They are, in fact, eagerly awaiting these planes to join their fleet!

Aeroflot777

zvezda

Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:50 am

Quoting Steph001 (Reply 1):
I wonder how the Russian Carriers and the planemakers will react on that.

Of course, the carriers support the end of the tax and the manufacturers oppose the end of the tax.