Tangowhisky
Topic Author

What Is US Long Term Plans For PIT?

Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:57 am

US Airways has shifted its focus to PHI. PIT used to be a very busy airport. These days I see a lot of unused gates. What is their long term plans in terms of these two airports as hubs?
Only the paranoid survive

luketenley

RE: What Is US Long Term Plans For PIT?

Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:11 pm

PIT is now a secondary hub for US. They are down to around 170 flights per day. Doug Parker said they are now making money at PIT and will keep it at this size for now.
Pittsburgh International Airport lover

Tangowhisky
Topic Author

Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:37 pm

Quoting Luketenley (Reply 1):
They are down to around 170 flights per day

That's too bad. A lot of investment went to that airport of the years. I feel bad for the airport authorities.
Only the paranoid survive

BDL2DCA

Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:58 pm

Quoting Tangowhisky (Reply 2):
I feel bad for the airport authorities.

TW,

I don't particularly feel bad for the authorities. When the new PIT airport was built, US had hubs at CLT, PHL, PIT, DAY, BWI, and IND - not to mention significant connection opportunities at DCA, LGA and BOS. Anyone with any business sense would see that was unsustainable.

Second, PIT was on the decline as a "major" city. In some ways Alleghany County saw US as a savior for its woes, and pushed US to keep expanding its PIT ops, both flights and back-office.

Third, the ACAA's business plan for the new airport required higher landing fees than PHL or CLT. Just like CO and the DEN hub, if anything happened to US financially, PIT would be on the chopping block.

For a period of time, the Penn. authorities kept PIT open by offering incentives and, I even remember threats surrounding US's ability to hub at PHL being in jeopardy if they did not keep a hub at PIT. This kept the PIT hub going a lot longer.

I do miss the PIT hub. It was a nice way to get from a to b on US (Terminal E excepted). But the market just was not there. If one looked at the market in the 1980s when the new terminal was built, all the signs were already there. However, the politicians took the "if we build it, they will come" approach to airport building. It didn't work for YMX either.
146,319,320,321,333,343,722,732,733,734,735,73G,738,744,752,762,763,772,ARJ,BE1,CRJ,D9S,D10,DH8,ERJ,E70,F100,S80

luketenley

Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:39 pm

City was on the decline but is now starting to come back. Traffic will also come back up. PIT probably will never see the numbers it once had but it will definately see an increase.

steeler83

Wed Sep 06, 2006 5:24 am

Quoting Bdl2dca (Reply 3):
I don't particularly feel bad for the authorities.

The authorities in my opinion were crooked from the start, and only got more crooked as the years went on... Because of their supremely high landing fees/gate fees, etc... US had to operate their flights at rediculously high fares to break even. Given that typical Pittsburghers look for bargains over top-dollar items, they would not want to pay some 3-400 dollars one way to the top destinations out of PIT (ORD, IAD, PHL, LGA...) Therefore, O&D was supremely low.

Many people now say that US has essentially said "screw you" to PIT, Allegheny County and the City of Pittsburgh; I was one of them. However, it was the airport authority that screwed themselves out of a very financially sustainable, sizeable hub operation that US had there.

Quoting Luketenley (Reply 4):
City was on the decline but is now starting to come back. Traffic will also come back up. PIT probably will never see the numbers it once had but it will definately see an increase.

True!

Take a look at downtown and all of its new proposals. Pittsburgh is morphing into more of a cosmopolitan city, an affordable cosmopolitan city unlike New York or San Fran. The housing market is skyrocketing in downtown, Oakland, and in East Liberty. Mayor Bob O'conner, may he rest in peace, finally got some very aggressive proposals off the drawing board and under construction. I said before, I give it about 10 years, not even, before things really start taking shape.

I saw the proposal for the Cultural district housing plan. They want to put a dozen residential buildings down there, 4 of them 20 to 30 floors in height! The 151 Firstside and 7th Avenue towers are roughly half filled, and are filling up just as fast as they are going up.

The International Office complex on the South Side has been approved by the city and should begin going up soon. 50 Asian companies have signed an agreement to open up shop there already.

A booming residential market in downtown, a desire to want to come back to downtown, other companies willing to relocate in Pittsburgh, existing companies expanding here, demand for air travel will increase; it's not a matter of IF in that regard... How much comes back and what that will determine or require later on will be the factor. Will another airline set up a hub at PIT? Will there be multiple focus cities here - will B6, WN, and US be the top 3 airlines there?

It comes down to all of that, and how willing are the A.C.A.A. to open the playing table to the airlines currently serving PIT as well as the ones that wish to serve it someday. (Lower those fees!!!)
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.

BDL2DCA

Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:06 am

Quoting Steeler83 (Reply 5):
How much comes back and what that will determine or require later on will be the factor. Will another airline set up a hub at PIT? Will there be multiple focus cities here - will B6, WN, and US be the top 3 airlines there?

PIT already has a LOT of traffic of which other cities of its size and economic output would be jealous. In this case, competition is showing its economic benefits. US is making money again at its hub offering 170 or so flights. B6 and WN are in the market, lowering fares on big O&D markets.

It is great to hear that the city is rebounding. And PIT won't have to worry for a very long time about building a new terminal at their airport to support traffic.

That doesn't change the fact that the ACAA screwed the pooch when it built the terminal in the 80s, however.
146,319,320,321,333,343,722,732,733,734,735,73G,738,744,752,762,763,772,ARJ,BE1,CRJ,D9S,D10,DH8,ERJ,E70,F100,S80

CentPIT

Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:08 am

Quoting Bdl2dca (Reply 3):
I do miss the PIT hub. It was a nice way to get from a to b on US (Terminal E excepted). But the market just was not there. If one looked at the market in the 1980s when the new terminal was built, all the signs were already there. However, the politicians took the "if we build it, they will come" approach to airport building. It didn't work for YMX either.

While quite a few connection opportunities are gone, PIT is still available for a connection from most major cities. US is at a state where the PAX they are carrying out of PIT are people from Pittsburgh (which is good)! I think US will be bringing back service to the cities that really need service, and drop cities that lose the demand for service. Currently, I only see a few cities coming back online within the next year....

PIT-MCI
PIT-DTW
PIT-MSP
and hopefully PIT-Texas!
Pittsburgh International: US Airways---160 daily departures! (52 destinations)

BDL2DCA

Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:16 am

Quoting CentPIT (Reply 7):
While quite a few connection opportunities are gone,

It's not just that. It is also that PIT has a lot of RJ flights. And while I would gladly connect from one E70 to another, I'll go to CLT or PHL to avoid CRJs and ERJs.

Most of the time, now-a-days, I end up over at UA out of IAD and avoid the connection altogether.

CentPIT

Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:18 am

Quoting BDL2DCA (Reply 8):
It's not just that. It is also that PIT has a lot of RJ flights. And while I would gladly connect from one E70 to another, I'll go to CLT or PHL to avoid CRJs and ERJs.

Hey, w/e! I would rather be on an RJ any day than go through PHL, but that is Def. just me! Do you ever connect through Pittsburgh?

BDL2DCA

Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:25 am

Quoting CentPIT (Reply 9):
Hey, w/e! I would rather be on an RJ any day than go through PHL, but that is Def. just me! Do you ever connect through Pittsburgh?

Hahaha yeah, I hear you on that one. I don't really have a reason to connect at PHL anymore because there aren't many places north and east of DC which you cannot get to nonstop out of DCA.

As far as connecting in PIT, no not really. I went from flying an average of 70,000 miles a year (for 2002-2005) to flying 6,000 so far this year. There was a time when I was in PIT twice a week (DCA-PIT-FWA, FWA-PIT-DCA) two weeks a month for six months. Yeah, that was the year of 67 segments.

FCYTravis

Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:27 am

Another factor that people forget is just how dramatically US Airways has shrunk in the past decade. Hundreds of jets were turned back - F-28s, F-100s, 727s, MD-80s, 732s, 733s, 734s - and quite simply, the mainline fleet is a fraction of what it used to be. There just aren't enough planes to go around, and PIT was the odd city out.
USAir A321 service now departing for SFO with fuel stops in CAK, COS and RNO. Enjoy your flight.

MarkATL

Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:36 am

Quoting Tangowhisky (Thread starter):
PIT used to be a very busy airport. These days I see a lot of unused gates. What is their long term plans in terms of these two airports as hubs?

As for PITs unsued space the possibilities are endless. Everything from the worlds largest paper weight to a bowling ally come to mind.

It comes down to all of that, and how willing are the A.C.A.A. to open the playing table to the airlines currently serving PIT as well as the ones that wish to serve it someday. (Lower those fees!!!)

If you lower the fees how is the debt going to be serviced? They kind of screwed themselves there. Unless of course you want your taxes to go up to pay for it? However, higher taxes will slow redevelopement. The city wanted it, put on the credit card and now they have to pay for it.
"...left my home in Georgia, 'n headed for the "Frisco" Bay...

CentPIT

Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:06 am

Quoting FCYTravis (Reply 11):
There just aren't enough planes to go around, and PIT was the odd city out.

This is only somewhat true. I think PIT would have ended up in this current state wheather US was receiving deliveries, or was returning aircraft. Now US will slowly grow, or slowly cut back PIT, whatever the future holds!

steeler83

Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:34 am

Quoting MarkATL (Reply 12):
If you lower the fees how is the debt going to be serviced? They kind of screwed themselves there. Unless of course you want your taxes to go up to pay for it? However, higher taxes will slow redevelopement. The city wanted it, put on the credit card and now they have to pay for it.

Lower costs entices more airlines to come in and serve the airport and region. They don't necessarily have to keep them low all the time. Lower them, other airlines will very willingly come in... Then, after a while, slowly increase the fees to boost revenue.

Yeah, I am no fan of higher taxes. Raise taxes, and scare away your paying customers/residents, etc... I see it pretty much the same way with the airport ops fees... Raise fees, and run your airlines out of the area, then it doesn't matter what is going on at the airport because you've then scared all of your money making operations away, and the airport is making next to nothing if anything at all...

I dunno, I guess the ACAA really did screw themselves over big in building the new facility for US which was abandoned 12 years later by US. I often wonder now what would have been if the old Greater PIT terminal was still functional...

Quoting CentPIT (Reply 13):
Now US will slowly grow, or slowly cut back PIT, whatever the future holds!

I am praying for the first one there! I hope they do bring some of it back as they continue to grow! May PIT rise like a phoenix and be the facility it once was...
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.

luketenley

Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:13 pm

Quoting Steeler83 (Reply 14):
I dunno, I guess the ACAA really did screw themselves over big in building the new facility for US which was abandoned 12 years later by US. I often wonder now what would have been if the old Greater PIT terminal was still functional...

It wouldn't be able to handle the traffic. The way that US has their schedules set up, during certain times of the day, there would be so many people crammed into that terminal it would be a pain in the butt just like PHL. The new one has plenty of room to grow and to handle the traffic rushes. Plus if airlines wanted to come back or grow, the old terminal wouldn't handle more pax.

Will another airline set up a hub at PIT? Will there be multiple focus cities here - will B6, WN, and US be the top 3 airlines there?

I would rather see a multiple focus city as opposed to one airline dominating the airport. Look at Boston Logan. Great example there.

IADCRJ

Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:50 pm

Mayor Bob O'conner, may he rest in peace, finally got some very aggressive proposals off the drawing board and under construction. I said before, I give it about 10 years, not even, before things really start taking shape.

Slightly off the topic, I do have to second you on this quote. I strongly believe that O'Conner probably accomplished more for the benefit of the city during the few months that he was in office, than probably what Murphy did so thourghout his ten years or so in the mayor's office.

luketenley

Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:11 pm

Quoting IADCRJ (Reply 16):
Slightly off the topic, I do have to second you on this quote. I strongly believe that O'Conner probably accomplished more for the benefit of the city during the few months that he was in office, than probably what Murphy did so thourghout his ten years or so in the mayor's office.

I just hope the guy taking his place is going to complete everything Bob wanted done and make the city shine!!

IADCRJ

Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:30 pm

Quoting Luketenley (Reply 17):
I just hope the guy taking his place is going to complete everything Bob wanted done and make the city shine!!

Second that

LambertMan

Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:10 pm

US at Pittsburgh is almost a mirror image of what AA has done at St. Louis. We've seen some mainline additions here and there to major markets, quite a few additional rj markets, and some small schedule subtractions. A little right sizing here and there and it all really adds up to very little. Large scale changes are extremely unlikely as US management has the benefit of financial results at Pittsburgh in the past years.

With that being said, Pittsburgh has assumed its role in US's network, which is unfortunately an expendable focus city. Although I don't expect any large scale changes, there should be some small additions as demand to some markets is a little undercut from the looks of it. If Pittsburgh is really looking to get something done, I'd beat down Southwest's door.

luketenley

Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:23 pm

Quoting LambertMan (Reply 19):
If Pittsburgh is really looking to get something done, I'd beat down Southwest's door.

I second that.

I heard today that AA is supposed to add mainline flights back sometime soon. Not sure when. Heard it from a pilot.

LAXdude1023

Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:45 am

PIT is not going to be much more than it is for US in the forseeable future. PIT does still have some major market services on US, thats about all that can be hoped for. Any expansion I dont see unless Southwest decides to do it. US will focus on PHL and its new west coast hubs (formerly America West Hubs) now.
It is what it is...

steeler83

Fri Sep 08, 2006 6:21 am

Quoting Luketenley (Reply 15):
It wouldn't be able to handle the traffic. The way that US has their schedules set up, during certain times of the day, there would be so many people crammed into that terminal it would be a pain in the butt just like PHL.

Ugh, and it figures really...

Plus if airlines wanted to come back or grow, the old terminal wouldn't handle more pax.

Yeah, the new terminal would've been needed anyway. Besides, with the original setup of the old terminal, you really could not expand any further, unless that setup was arranged in the fashion as the current terminal is. You'd have the "massive" airside terminal (former PIT terminal) with ample room for many airside terminals. But... I like the terminal the way it is!!!

I would rather see a multiple focus city as opposed to one airline dominating the airport. Look at Boston Logan. Great example there.

Ditto that here! That's what I think will end up happening here as well. US already has a sizeable one in place, but I would love to see another carrier establish a focus city there. Yes, BOS is pretty darned large, ant it is mostly all-focus city there. As is JFK, believe it or not, with the exception of DL...

Quoting IADCRJ (Reply 16):

It was off topic, but I brought that in to tie it in with the future of air travel demand... I do agree with that last bit though especially!

Quoting IADCRJ (Reply 18):
Quoting Luketenley (Reply 17):

Second that

He should. He is a 28-year-old fmr Council President and he exhibited some excitement over what O'Connor was doing with the city.

Quoting Luketenley (Reply 20):
If Pittsburgh is really looking to get something done, I'd beat down Southwest's door.

I second that.

I heard today that AA is supposed to add mainline flights back sometime soon. Not sure when. Heard it from a pilot.

That would be nice to see some AA mainline birds back in da burgh. I wonder if they're going to upgrade the Eagle service on PIT-DFW or PIT-ORD to mainline. That would make sense...

If AA does that with ORD service, then WN I am sure would add another freq to MDW. If it's DFW, the WN will do nothing, obvious reasons...

USPIT10L

Fri Sep 08, 2006 6:44 am

Quoting Steeler83 (Reply 22):
That would be nice to see some AA mainline birds back in da burgh. I wonder if they're going to upgrade the Eagle service on PIT-DFW or PIT-ORD to mainline. That would make sense...

If AA does that with ORD service, then WN I am sure would add another freq to MDW. If it's DFW, the WN will do nothing, obvious reasons...

I think he was referring to STL, not PIT.
It's a Great Day for Hockey!

CentPIT

Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:41 am

With WN already serving Pittsburgh, I am not sure what else can be done? It seems as though WN is done?

Quoting USPIT10L (Reply 23):
I think he was referring to STL, not PIT.

NO, Luketenley said he heard from a pilot that AA is considering adding back mainline to PIT. I would have to assume this would be PIT-DFW.

luketenley

Sat Sep 09, 2006 12:59 am

The AA flights would more then likely serve DFW since most of the rj's are full. Service to Chicago is limited because of competition with WN.

As far as WN, I don't think they are done growing here. Maybe for now but they will expand service within the next year, IMO. It is rumored that US flights to PHL are going to be downgraded to rj's soon so this is a good oppourtunity for WN to add more PHL flights.

USPIT10L

Sat Sep 09, 2006 1:12 am

Sorry, I thought LambertMan said that. Yeah, it'd be DFW. ORD-PIT hasn't been mainline since 1994-95, with F100s, now long gone from AA. I wonder what equipment AA would use, since the MD-80s didn't do so hot apparently. I don't believe PIT has to be staffed by mainline AA people to receive mainline flights. It could and should stay an Eagle-staffed city. I wonder if CLE, CVG, or CMH are getting mainline back.
It's a Great Day for Hockey!

bnamaxx

Sat Sep 09, 2006 1:39 am

US at Pittsburgh is almost a mirror image of what AA has done at St. Louis.

The same can be said for AA at BNA. While I'm sure a new terminal would have been built eventually, AA's need for a connecting hub precipitated building the current facility. While AA has subleased out some of the gates to WN (with about 85 departures a day), several gates are vacant of desks, chairs and air bridges. Councourse C was designed with connecting traffic in mind and isn't always the most pleasant for WN passengers whose flights operate out of gates 20-25. It a sad fact airlines demand cities spend huge amounts of money on facilities the airlines often later abandon.

BigJimFX

Sat Sep 09, 2006 2:04 am

I too have felt the pain of the PIT decline. Flying from DFW to PIT, then on to JST was great. Now I have to connect through CLT, then to PIT. NO BUENO! Although I can see why US is all over CLT.(Lower fees) The airport BLOWS! Sure they did good on the main area, but the "finger" terminals are crap! PIT has higher landing fees because it's a better airport plain and simple! Connecting through PIT used to be a breeze unless there was a weather problem. Now, with connecting through CLT, there are delays out the wazoo! CLT flights into DFW are almost always late after 2pm. I cannot fault US for thinking $$$, but there's a limit!
I'd like to thank me for flying Me Airways...

luketenley

Sat Sep 09, 2006 4:01 am

Quoting BigJimFX (Reply 28):
I too have felt the pain of the PIT decline. Flying from DFW to PIT, then on to JST was great. Now I have to connect through CLT, then to PIT. NO BUENO! Although I can see why US is all over CLT.(Lower fees) The airport BLOWS! Sure they did good on the main area, but the "finger" terminals are crap! PIT has higher landing fees because it's a better airport plain and simple! Connecting through PIT used to be a breeze unless there was a weather problem. Now, with connecting through CLT, there are delays out the wazoo! CLT flights into DFW are almost always late after 2pm. I cannot fault US for thinking $$$, but there's a limit!

Same thing with PHL. They keep jamming more flights there when they already have tons of delays. Good luck to US though.. sarcastically.

CentPIT

Sat Sep 09, 2006 12:33 pm

Quoting BigJimFX (Reply 28):
I too have felt the pain of the PIT decline. Flying from DFW to PIT, then on to JST was great. Now I have to connect through CLT, then to PIT. NO BUENO! Although I can see why US is all over CLT.

I am happy to hear you are still coming through PIT (I know you don't have a choice) though! DFW might come back, NEVER no!

commavia

Sat Sep 09, 2006 12:39 pm

Quoting USPIT10L (Reply 26):
I wonder if CLE, CVG, or CMH are getting mainline back.

I doubt CLE will get mainline back anytime soon, although it might be possible after a few years with maybe 1-2 of the flights to DFW. Same with CVG -- rumor in another thread here on A.net is that the airport wants AA to upgrade one of their CVG-DFW flights to MD80s now that Delta is going all-RJ on the route. As for CMH, that station never lost mainline, and still has four daily MD80s to DFW.

HPRamper

Sat Sep 09, 2006 2:05 pm

CLT is a very nice terminal. And the finger concourses serve their purpose very effectively (mainly to accomodate regional flights). I'm sure most people would agree that CLT is actually one of the nicer hub facilities in the country.

CentPIT

Sun Sep 10, 2006 3:15 am

Quoting HPRamper (Reply 32):
CLT is a very nice terminal. And the finger concourses serve their purpose very effectively (mainly to accomodate regional flights). I'm sure most people would agree that CLT is actually one of the nicer hub facilities in the country.

I agree that it is nicer than PHL, but it isn't nicer than PIT, DEN, or DTW! CLT reminds me more of SEA. The delays aren't bad, but the airports are boring overall!

FCYTravis

Sun Sep 10, 2006 8:36 am

CLT is a very nice hub facility - easy to get around, convenient and fairly modern. The Concourse E RJ/prop terminal is one of the best Express facilities in the nation. My only complaint is that it doesn't have a US Club.
USAir A321 service now departing for SFO with fuel stops in CAK, COS and RNO. Enjoy your flight.

HPRamper

Sun Sep 10, 2006 10:54 am

Quoting CentPIT (Reply 33):
I agree that it is nicer than PHL, but it isn't nicer than PIT, DEN, or DTW! CLT reminds me more of SEA. The delays aren't bad, but the airports are boring overall!

DTW is really nice because it's NW's big international terminal. If anything I wish PHL was more like the WorldGateway. CLT, like MSP, is very ok. I've never been to PIT and probably won't unless connecting flights are expanded.
I'd also much rather deal with CLT than SEA. Those satellites and bus trips are a pain to deal with.

CentPIT

Sun Sep 10, 2006 11:15 am

Quoting HPRamper (Reply 35):
I'd also much rather deal with CLT than SEA. Those satellites and bus trips are a pain to deal with.

I was more or less comparing CLT and SEA in the sense of I hate being there. The facilities are boring. I think it is sweet that someone can come off of one connecting flight in Pittsburgh, and walk into the Gap before your next flight out?

HPRamper,

Where are you flying that you can't come through PIT?

steeler83

Sun Sep 10, 2006 11:58 am

If he is going to a city like DTW or DFW on US, or Transatlantic/Caribbean, then he does have a point in going to another city besides PIT. If it's to cities like New York, Chicago, Phili, Las Vegas, Boston or Phoenix, then I'd ask why not PIT...

Frankly, I'd like to have Republic build up its PIT base and add PIT-DTW/DFW service back

I saw above that PIT-PHL will go all RJ service. I wonder if there are any large mainline planes going to CLT from PIT, no I do not mean 767 aircraft as there are none... I wonder why there arent any 757 or A321 aircraft between hub/secondary hub cities. No demand I guess.... PIT's time WILL COME!!!!

N670UW

Sun Sep 10, 2006 12:17 pm

Quoting Steeler83 (Reply 37):
I wonder if there are any large mainline planes going to CLT from PIT, no I do not mean 767 aircraft as there are none... I wonder why there arent any 757 or A321 aircraft between hub/secondary hub cities.

There is a A321 that arrives in PIT from PHL in the evening and then departs to FLL in the morning. Another arrives from PHL in the morning and continues onto CLT.

US had a morning 757 to CLT this summer, but it's been removed with the September schedule. The rest of the CLT/PHL schedule is 733/734/319/320/E70/RJ.

eva777sea

Mon Sep 11, 2006 12:47 am

Quoting CentPIT (Reply 36):
SEA in the sense of I hate being there. The facilities are boring

New A concourse...New Central Terminal!!?!

steeler83

Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:07 am

Quoting N670UW (Reply 38):
There is a A321 that arrives in PIT from PHL in the evening and then departs to FLL in the morning. Another arrives from PHL in the morning and continues onto CLT.

US had a morning 757 to CLT this summer, but it's been removed with the September schedule. The rest of the CLT/PHL schedule is 733/734/319/320/E70/RJ.

Oh, well thanks for the info!

FCYTravis

Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:34 am

I wouldn't be surprised if PIT-DFW came back with E170/175 aircraft.

vega

Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:34 am

Quoting EVA777SEA (Reply 39):
New A concourse...New Central Terminal!!?!

I wouldn't take comments leading to your reply too seriously. Many people bash airports they have been to Never or Once just to highlight their own agenda. If the success of an airport depended on it looking like a Bloomingdales, the U.S.'s largest and most successful would be complete failures. People use airports to get from A to B, not to dine in or shop for Christmas presents.
We are but a moment in this vast Universe and when gone we will never have existed.

PHLapproach

Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:37 am

Quoting CentPIT (Reply 33):
I agree that it is nicer than PHL

Go back to PHL and take a look at B and C...

CentPIT

Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:52 am

Quoting Vega (Reply 42):
Many people bash airports they have been to Never or Once just to highlight their own agenda.

I have been through SEA quite a few times Vega, thanks though! I was not bashing SEA, my longest delay was only 2 hours due to MX issues, so no complaints except that I was bored.

Quoting Steeler83 (Reply 37):
I saw above that PIT-PHL will go all RJ service. I wonder if there are any large mainline planes going to CLT from PIT, no I do not mean 767 aircraft as there are none... I wonder why there arent any 757 or A321 aircraft between hub/secondary hub cities. No demand I guess.... PIT's time WILL COME!!!!

Please NOTE that PIT-PHL becoming all RJ service is highly unlikely at this point in time (not that it won't change). This is currently just a rumor to my knowledge.

Here are the PIT-PHL and PIT-CLT services as of September 14, 2006:

PIT-PHL (10 daily flights)

1 CRJ, 2 E70, 3 A319, 1 B733, and 3 B734. (B734s are big enough for the route)

PIT-CLT (6 daily flights)

3 A319, 2 B734, and 1 A321 (I think this route is adequately served)

luketenley

Mon Sep 11, 2006 3:06 pm

Quoting CentPIT (Reply 44):
Please NOTE that PIT-PHL becoming all RJ service is highly unlikely at this point in time (not that it won't change). This is currently just a rumor to my knowledge.

Yeah I heard this as a rumor as well. Hope its not true. The employees still commuting to work will have problems.

HPAEAA

Mon Sep 11, 2006 3:31 pm

I second that.

Quoting USPIT10L (Reply 26):
F100s, now long gone from AA. I wonder what equipment AA would use, since the MD-80s didn't do so hot apparently. I don't believe PIT has to be staffed by mainline AA people to receive mainline flights. It could and should stay an Eagle-staffed city. I wonder if CLE, CVG, or CMH are getting mainline back.

Quoting Commavia (Reply 31):
I doubt CLE will get mainline back anytime soon, although it might be possible after a few years with maybe 1-2 of the flights to DFW. Same with CVG -- rumor in another thread here on A.net is that the airport wants AA to upgrade one of their CVG-DFW flights to MD80s now that Delta is going all-RJ on the route. As for CMH, that station never lost mainline, and still has four daily MD80s to DFW.

Thank you Commavia, Your right, MQ stations can operate AA Metal upto 7X daily... however in the past after closing an AA station they wait about atleast a year before bring back the AA metal (I don't know why, I think it has to do with TWU)... and your right... CMH has gone upto 4x MD80s... I remeber about 2 years ago when they were down to just 1, it's rebounded nicely. CLE I can only pray... I've taken to sending my monthly protest letter to customer relations, I don't think it does much good but I want to make a little noise.. I'm really sick of connecting through ORD to go home so that I can avoid the CR7...
Why do I fly???

luketenley

Mon Sep 11, 2006 4:30 pm

It will be a year this January that they took mainline from PIT.

joeman

Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:46 pm

Quoting HPAEAA (Reply 46):
I'm really sick of connecting through ORD to go home so that I can avoid the CR7...

So it looks that to a certain degree, the incentive is there to actually and deliberately use the biggest hubs and make them even stronger with connecting traffic to avoid certain token point to point direct itineraries serviced with little jets, especially on longer distance routes. How nice for the largest hub cities that actually have a substantial mainline schedule, how pitiful for anything less airports that are stuck feeding those hubs.

steeler83

Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:02 am

Quoting Luketenley (Reply 47):
It will be a year this January that they took mainline from PIT.

Besides MD80s to DFW and ORD, what other aircraft did AA fly into PIT?