positiverate

82 Year Old NWA Flight Attendant

Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:08 am

After 55 years, NWA's most veteran attendant still loves his job

JULIE FORSTER
St. Paul Pioneer Press
ST. PAUL - Longer hours, pay cuts and strike threats. Those could be good reasons to quit your job.

Bob Reardon will need several more. At 82, he has no intention of giving up the title of Northwest's longest-serving flight attendant.

After 55 years of working the aisles of Northwest Airlines planes, Reardon keeps a full-time schedule as purser in charge of the cabin crew on the airline's international flights.

Sure, his job gets under his skin sometimes. Yes, he's dismayed at cuts and work-rule changes that require him to work more for less pay.

But Reardon finds the rewards of working Northwest's Pacific flights too alluring to surrender.

"If I didn't like the job," he says, "I would have quit 20 years ago."

Entire article here: http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/business/15437869.htm

N62NA

RE: 82 Year Old NWA Flight Attendant

Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:14 am

Great post - and kudos to Mr. Reardon for his 55 years of service with NW.

NWOrientDC10

Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:23 am

Quoting Positiverate (Thread starter):
After 55 years of working the aisles of Northwest Airlines planes, Reardon keeps a full-time schedule as purser in charge of the cabin crew on the airline's international flights.

I wonder what a/c types on which he worked/works.

Fifty-five years ago, he may have had the job title of "steward".

Good Day  Smile

Russell
Things aren't always as they seem

contrails

Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:25 am

I hope he stays at it for many more years. What a great story!
Flying Colors Forever!

zvezda

Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:31 am

He'd be junior at UA or DL. The senior flighties there are pushing 90.

FCA787

Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:34 am

how come US flight attendants are of the 'upper age limit' I was walking through Manchester Airport (UK) the other day and saw a CO and DL crew making their way to their flights and they all seemed the 'upper age limit', the walking just behind them was a crew for a BA flight and they were alot younger?

Falcon84

Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:36 am

Quoting Zvezda (Reply 4):

rotfl 

Hell, I just want to be ALIVE at that age.  old 
Work Right, Fly Hard

mauriceb

Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:36 am

well NWA has old attendents, if noticed myself, once i thought a monument from the cargo hold climbed upstairs and decided to serve drinks.

deltairlines

Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:41 am

Quoting FCA787 (Reply 5):
how come US flight attendants are of the 'upper age limit' I was walking through Manchester Airport (UK) the other day and saw a CO and DL crew making their way to their flights and they all seemed the 'upper age limit', the walking just behind them was a crew for a BA flight and they were alot younger?

Flights are determined by seniority in the United States, meaning the longer you've worked at the airline, you get better choices for picking your trip. Many of the long-haul routes give more hours, and I'm guessing they're a lot less rigorous than doing 4-5 short hops in one day, so these long-haul routes tend to go fairly senior for US carriers.

jaysit

Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:56 am

One of these days we'll be on a flight in which the entire cabin crew collapses in the aisle.
Atheism is Myth Understood.

Paaclipper707

Wed Sep 06, 2006 5:07 am

Did anyone ever hear of Norma, 85 year old Delta FA. I got to work with her once on a flight. She retired a few years back now. Poor Norma fell out of the R2 door of our 767. I think that's what retired her?  boggled 

Great attitude Bob! Congrats on your 55th
PAN AMERICAN -Dont Leave the Country Without Us-

United787

Wed Sep 06, 2006 5:19 am

Holy cow, I am amazed that NW lets someone that old still work for them. Amazing story.

With all do respect, I am concerned at how someone at that age could handle an emergency, which is the primary role of a flight attendant after all.

Quoting Zvezda (Reply 4):

Seriously?

B6FA4ever

Wed Sep 06, 2006 5:22 am

anyone know how old Iris is at United? i know she "IS" the senior mama at the company and based in SEA...unless she finally retired already. not sure how old she is but i know she's well into her 80's.

~B6FA4ever

ltbewr

Wed Sep 06, 2006 5:50 am

Probably some of those 'senior' f/a's cannot afford to retire, especially with the massive cuts in pensions and health care benefits  biggrin 
Besides, some of them would just be sitting around watching TV, petting their cats, knitting and get bored to death. I do think they should have a max age for f/a's like pilots have, perhaps at 65, due to the needs of mobility and good health in case of an emergency.

rdwootty

Wed Sep 06, 2006 5:55 am

Personally I think air crew should retire at an age they can still be of use to passengers in an emergency. Frankly I would not like an OAP dealing with a flight emergency as I am sure neither would the authorities. What if it was folund they were lacking and passengers got injured or even may died because of the crew?

letsgetwet

Wed Sep 06, 2006 5:56 am

Quoting United787 (Reply 11):
Holy cow, I am amazed that NW lets someone that old still work for them. Amazing story.

If they tried to MAKE them retire, I'm sure they would have an age discrimination law suit on their hands.

MCOflyer

Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:02 am

Congradulations Bob Reardon.

Quoting PAAClipper707 (Reply 10):
Did anyone ever hear of Norma, 85 year old Delta FA.

I've heard of hear but don't recall from where. Either way, Congrats to these flight attendants.

MCOflyer
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.

1rocco

Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:06 am

Quoting NWOrientDC10 (Reply 2):
I wonder what a/c types on which he worked/works.

I believe he does 6 day asia trips on the 747-400. Since the new work rules started he has had to pick up a HNL to get all his hrs.

zvezda

Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:13 am

Quoting B6FA4ever (Reply 12):
anyone know how old Iris is at United? i know she "IS" the senior mama at the company and based in SEA...unless she finally retired already. not sure how old she is but i know she's well into her 80's.

Iris is either about to turn or has recently turned 89.

Quoting United787 (Reply 11):
With all do respect, I am concerned at how someone at that age could handle an emergency, which is the primary role of a flight attendant after all.

It is the responsibility of the passengers to plan how to evacuate the geriatric flighties in the event of an emergency.

jetjack74

Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:20 am

Just saw him 2 days ago over here in NRT. He came off the MNL-NRT flight.
Made from jets!

jorge1812

Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:24 am

Nice article, would like to see a pic of him.

Georg

CRJ900

Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:28 am

Great story. I think it's wonderful that mature people can still be a great asset to themselves and companies, this guy seems happy and content with life - which is becoming a luxury nowadays.

I'm sure he can evacuate people just as quickly as a dim-witted 20-year old FA with long fingernails and big hair...
Come, fly the prevailing winds with me

isitsafenow

Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:22 am

Its Doug's stepdad...
safe
If two people agree on EVERYTHING, then one isn't necessary.

FlyingColours

Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:30 am

Quoting CRJ900 (Reply 21):
I'm sure he can evacuate people just as quickly as a dim-witted 20-year old FA with long fingernails and big hair...

You just described me  Wink

Quoting PAAClipper707 (Reply 10):
Poor Norma fell out of the R2 door of our 767. I think that's what retired her?

Wow, Its lucky someone can survive a fall from a 767 let alone at 85!

I read about Iris the other day, it is great to hear of older hosties - the ones with the super sinscere smiles and who love their jobs (more than the crews everyone seems to talk about here).

I'd still want to be flying at 85 but I dont think I could manage our very heavy drinks carts, aside from other things.

Phil
FlyingColours
Lifes a train racing towards you, now you can either run away or grab a chair & a beer and watch it come - Phil

TBCITDG

Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:30 am

All nice thing aside, but can some one of that age be of any real use in an emergency situation?
Could they lift/drag a 30-40 year old injured person from a burning plane?
Could the remove an overwing exit from a 767?
Are things that lax over there?

Bicoastal

Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:51 am

I believe all flight attendants are required to pass annual or biannual recurrent training. If they can't handle the emergency procedures, they don't go back to work. Can any FAs out there confirm this?
Airliners.net has many forums. It has spell check and search functions. Use them before posting!

KaiGywer
Crew

Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:06 am

Getting one of his ritual hair cuts. According to the article, he gets his hair cut before each trip.

Quoting 1rocco (Reply 17):
believe he does 6 day asia trips on the 747-400. Since the new work rules started he has had to pick up a HNL to get all his hrs.

Correct. From the article:
Lately, Reardon's monthly schedule includes two six-day trips. He flies from the Twin Cities to Tokyo. Once his plane touches down, Reardon doesn't hunker down in the hotel for the night. Instead, he's off for dinner with his friends who live there and who are a major part of his life.

He stays in Tokyo overnight and flies the next day to Hong Kong or Manila. After a 36-hour layover, he returns to Tokyo, then back to the Twin Cities the next day.

[ . . . ]

Before the most recent work rule changes and pay cuts imposed upon the flight attendants in July, Reardon typically averaged 72 to 74 hours per month of flight time. To meet the new minimum requirement of 75 hours per month, Reardon had to add another flight to his monthly schedule: roundtrip to Honolulu, boosting his flying time to 82 hours.

Quoting LTBEWR (Reply 13):
Probably some of those 'senior' f/a's cannot afford to retire, especially with the massive cuts in pensions and health care benefits

Reardon doesn't have to work for the money. His salary — though recently cut 21 percent — will come to $36,000 to $38,000 per year. Like many in his era, he receives a nice pension, which, after taxes, amounts to $2,300 each month. Federal law allows people to collect their pension at age 70½, working or not.

That salary sounds pretty bad for 55 years seniority, even before the pay cut. $45,570-48,101 before the 21% was cut off.

For the entire article, go to St Paul Pioneer Press
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

MCOflyer

Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:15 am

Quoting KaiGywer (Reply 26):
Reardon had to add another flight to his monthly schedule: round-trip to Honolulu, boosting his flying time to 82 hours.

I would pick up a trip thats short distance like to LGA or Florida.

I've got to admit that guy looks like hes in good shape. Anyone on here have him on your flight?

MCOflyer

freedom747

Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:16 am

Personally, the more grey hair -- the better. As long as the F/A passes Jet Recurrent, happy trails!!

aaflt1871

Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:17 am

His salary — though recently cut 21 percent — will come to $36,000 to $38,000 per year.

wideeyed 

That salary sounds pretty bad for 55 years seniority

yes 

I agree with you on that.
Where did everybody go?

jetjack74

Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:27 am

This was an article written in 2002 about Robert "Buddy" Reardon after he assumed the title of being number 1 when Bernice Epple passed away. I flew with Buddy in 1999 on a MSP-NRT flight. Luckily I didn't have to work with him in WBC, because he is someone who is extremely particular about the way things are done, and he was flying with two of the normal people who fly with him most. He's the quinticential eccentric flight attendant. There are people who refuse to fly with him becuase of his unpredictability. If he's in a good mood, he's alright. But when he's in a bad mood, look out becuae he has a very short fuse and he snaps. Legend has it, is that Bob is one of the, what is known as "untouchables" which means he exempt from being fired in any way shape or form. The untouchables were group of highly trusted pursers by the airlines, that back in the 1960's were put on specific flights to ensure that "hot" merchandise/contraband, gold, stolen artwork, and money were boarded in Japan to go to the US as payment by the Japanese govt as collateral for Northwest Orient, and Pan American for the money they invested to get JL and NH off the ground. There were 2 of these untouchables here at NWA until Paul Kemp out SEA retired 2 years ago. Bob is the last one. Again, airline folklore, but it's interesting to imagine the things he's seen over the years. A joke of his, was that his goal in life now is to die in NRT, and have NWA pay to ship his body back.
But here's the article, I posting here because unless you're an NWA employee and have a login for RADAR, you won't be able to access it.

10/01/2002
No. 1 seniority flight attendant says, 'Be my guest'
Bob Reardon believes he knows the key to being a successful flight attendant: "Treat passengers like you would treat guests in your own home." That philosophy has served him well since becoming a flight attendant 51 years ago this month.

"I've never felt like a servant and I've never been treated like one either," Reardon said. "I've never had a passenger complaint."

That may be partly because Reardon, Northwest's No. 1 senior flight attendant and most senior employee, exudes the confidence and respectful nature of a classic gentleman. But, at 78 years old and still flying Minneapolis/St. Paul-Tokyo flights several times a month, he's hardly an old-fashioned type of guy.

Reardon joined Northwest in 1951 to "take a year-and-a-half break" from school. While doing post-graduate work in French literature, he said he just couldn't open another book. He thought he might as well travel and get paid for it at the same time.

"My first flight was a rude awakening," Reardon says. "I was working in the galley on the Stratocruiser when the garbage can came lose and spilled everywhere."

But that incident didn't deter him from flying on. The Stratocruiser remains Reardon's favorite aircraft, mostly because its lower deck offered so many first-class amenities, enabling him to really treat his "guests" special. "It was almost like being in a home, with a big galley, large separate bathrooms for men and women, and a lounge," he said.

After Reardon's "year-and-a-half break" from school extended another year, he decided to stay at Northwest even though at that time, being a flight attendant was considered a dead-end job.

"Today, it's a career with a good salary and retirement benefits, and nothing to be ashamed of," he said. "It's a great job because you feel so free. You're really on your own to make important decisions."

Since Reardon has been so high on the senior list for his entire career, he typically takes on the lead position. "I like being the lead; I guess I'm a little bossy," he said with a smile. But he also likes to set the tone of good service and keeping busy. "The flights don't seem that long. There's always something to do."

He feels the same way about his career. "It doesn't seem like it's been 51 years," he said. "And the changes have been very gradual over the years." Some of the biggest changes came when Northwest went from piston to jet engines - flying twice as far in the same time, and when Northwest added widebodies to its fleet.

"I used to feel like I knew who was on my airplane. Now there are so many people that it's all a blur."

He also misses the first class section on his Minneapolis/St. Paul-Tokyo flight. "But if you can't accept change, then you shouldn't be in this business," he said.

Reardon said he doesn't feel his 78 years and plans to continue being a flight attendant as long as he's able to do the job. "Almost everyone I know who's retired has gotten a part-time job because they go bonkers. I figure I might as well stay at a job I love."
Made from jets!

B4REAL

Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:32 am

Quoting Letsgetwet (Reply 15):
If they tried to MAKE them retire, I'm sure they would have an age discrimination law suit on their hands.

Not necessarily. The same underlying reasion (safety) that kicks pilots out at an age, if presented correctly for F/A's could be applied.
B4REAL, spelled like it sounds

KaiGywer
Crew

Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:33 am

Quoting Jetjack74 (Reply 30):
"Today, it's a career with a good salary and retirement benefits, and nothing to be ashamed of," he said. "It's a great job because you feel so free. You're really on your own to make important decisions."

And that was definately written four years ago
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

lincoln

Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:43 am

On the subject of manditory retirement... As long as he (or any crewmember, for that matter) can pass a physical and recurrent training I don't see anything wrong with them staying around until they're good and ready to retire on their own.

Baring ovbious physical imparements, I place my utmost trust for my safety with -any- flight attendant be they younger than I am (difficult, but possible at 22) or old enough to be my grandparent.

That is, of course, just my $0.00000002.

Lincoln
CO Is My Airline of Choice || Baggage Claim is an airline's last chance to disappoint a customer || Next flts in profile

sccutler

Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:51 am

Hey, y'all, so long as he is capable of meeting the basic physical requirements ofthe job (and he would not be allowed to continue working if he could not), I'd prefer having someone with the patience and common-sense that only time and experience can give.

You hear much the same thing in the debate over the relative merit of older pilots' seasoning and judgment vs. younger pilots' quick reflexes and reactions. I (for one) am a proponent of bumping up (or eliminating) the mandatory retirement age for cockpit crew.
...three miles from BRONS, clear for the ILS one five approach...

cusaeng

Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:59 am

Quoting Positiverate (Thread starter):
After 55 years, NWA's most veteran attendant still loves his job

now if he was a lady i could think of a coment about keeping the old birds flying

way to go for him tho id love to be in the aviation industy when i am his age. I am sure he has seen some changes !.
I wanna fly but they wont let me :( grr

lincoln

Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:15 am

Quoting Cusaeng (Reply 35):
way to go for him tho id love to be in the aviation industy when i am his age. I am sure he has seen some changes !.

Can you imagine?
From the dawn of the jet age to the first Jumbo era (747) to the changes the A380 and 787 are bringing to the table...Not to mention the changes in counries relationships with each other, the evolution of flying from a privelage for the relative elite to the common man. Deregulation. Inflight entertainment -- when the films shown were...on film.

I wonder if he started with NW or one of the airlines NW sucked up?

Lincoln
CO Is My Airline of Choice || Baggage Claim is an airline's last chance to disappoint a customer || Next flts in profile

ptugarin

Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:28 am

Quoting Letsgetwet (Reply 15):

In order to regulate this there should be legislature similar to that for pilots mandatory retirement age.

ptugarin

Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:31 am

I am glad the grandpa is still strong and healthy enough to keep working. I am sure many FA's would love to keep flying at this age, but their health won't permit them.

[Edited 2006-09-06 02:32:52]

mjlhou

Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:55 am

Cheers to you Bob! I hope I'm still able to get through reccurent training at 82!  bigthumbsup 
Don't worry about things you can't change or control

RandyWaldron

Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:32 am

I have met, and, have flown with Mr. Reardon on several different occasions. When I was a new-hire Flight Attendant with Northwest in 2000 (at age 18) I flew with him to Taipei. I've also worked the DC10 to Honolulu with him; he's a nice guy - and also very interesting.

Some of the female flight attendants would disagree, but, Reardon is definitely a character. He and Bernie Epple (the previous #1 FA until her death) had a longstanding rivalry....

Bob is, to say the least, a trip. I don't think I could last that long sitting at 1L on the -400....
"Flaps 20, gear down, landing checklist please..."

MCOflyer

Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:33 am

Bernice Epple

Who is he?

MCOflyer

falstaff

Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:41 am

Quoting Rdwootty (Reply 14):
Personally I think air crew should retire at an age they can still be of use to passengers in an emergency

That is a relative idea. When I was 26 I worked on a ship (SS Willis B. Boyer) with a guy, 87, who could kick my butt up and down the deck. I have a friend who is 28 who is suffering from congestive heart failure. He is young but in bad shape. I drink beer, on Thursdays, with a guy who flew ME-109s during the big war and he still flew gliders until he was 79. Age is no issue. If someone can still do a job and do it well at eighty plus I have to say more power to them. I hope I am doing as well at that age.

I really don't know why pilots have to retire at 60. I know people at 60 that are in way better shape then some of the 18 year olds that I teach. 60 isn't all that old and for those people who think it is; that will be you before you know it. I am only thirty and I amazed how short of time has passed since 1976! My doctor graduated from med school in 1948. I look at it this way, he as seen everyting. A pilot that is older has seen it all and I would feel good knowing that person is in the cockpit on my flight. Sure bad things happen. If someone was to have an "issue with health" the co-pilot could take over. There was a thread not long ago about a pilot who was 50 or so dying at the controls. Well he's dead and under 60 so you can throw the rule book out the window on that one....

I am not a pilot and and don't work for any company that has anything to do with flying. I am just a regular paying passenger and that is my opinion.

Quoting Mjlhou (Reply 39):
Cheers to you Bob!

I would love to meet that guy and shake his hand. I drank a beer with the world's oldest bartender as of 2003 in Pittsburgh. He was 93 and what a great guy to have a beer with. I would love to hear some of Bob's stories!
My mug slaketh over on Falstaff N503

MCOflyer

Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:44 am

Quoting Falstaff (Reply 42):
I would love to meet that guy and shake his hand.

If you know someone in NW scheduleing, ask which flt he is on and book a first class ticket on NW.

MCOflyer

falstaff

Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:47 am

Quoting MCOflyer (Reply 43):
If you know someone in NW scheduleing,

I do. She is a wife of a co-worker. I will have to check it out... Thanks for the tip!
My mug slaketh over on Falstaff N503

deputydawghere

Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:43 am

Cheers to Bob and his outstanding service. He probably has the most energy on the flights he serves.
N/A

baw716

Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:45 am

First, I'm with Zvezda: I'd simply like to be ALIVE at that age. With the medical challenges I face, well...its a nice thought. These days, I believe strongly in the concept of one day at a time.

Second, I've flown with some very experienced flight attendants (over 75 years old in once case, the other I'm pretty sure very near that age), Once on Pan Am, once on United. Both in First Class and both times, these gentlemen (and I really do mean gentlemen) were exceptionally gracious, smart and very much in control of any situation. The service they provided was truly First Class.

Finally, I wish this gentleman every success as he continues flying the Pacific for Northwest. He certainly has earned every bit of the respect he receives and so very much deserves; how many of us can say that they have worked even 20 years at a job and still love it as much as they day they started? Bob's been around for 55 years! So let's raise a toast to Bob and to all of those other men and women who have served us with such grace and style and have kept us safe (for the last 30 years for me). Cheers to you all!

Bravo, Bob, bravo.

baw716
David L. Lamb, fmr Area Mgr Alitalia SFO 1998-2002, fmr Regional Analyst SFO-UAL 1992-1998

jetjack74

Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:47 am

Quoting MCOflyer (Reply 41):
Who is he?

Bernice Epple was the #1 seniority flight attendant who passed away at 79, after 55 years of flying. Although she had a collapsed lung and was unable walk very much in the last 2 years and was out on a medical leave until she passed. Mr Reardon is the longest active employee at NWA. He has had very little medical leaves that have put him out for a prolonged period.

Quoting Falstaff (Reply 44):
I will have to check it out... Thanks for the tip!

If she gives out that information and gets caught, she'll get fired and fined. They're aren't even allowed to give out that information us.
Made from jets!

MCOflyer

Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:06 pm

Quoting Falstaff (Reply 44):
Thanks for the tip!

Your welcome, maybe she can arrange a meet.

Quoting Baw716 (Reply 46):
So let's raise a toast to Bob and to all of those other men and women who have served us with such grace and style and have kept us safe (for the last 30 years for me).

Agreed. To Bob and and to all of those other men and women who have served us with such grace and style and have kept us safe.

MCOflyer

B777ER

Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:09 pm

Quoting Mauriceb (Reply 7):
well NWA has old attendents, if noticed myself, once i thought a monument from the cargo hold climbed upstairs and decided to serve drinks.

Quoting Jaysit (Reply 9):
One of these days we'll be on a flight in which the entire cabin crew collapses in the aisle.

Good stuff guys.....had a great laugh.

Legend has it, is that Bob is one of the, what is known as "untouchables" which means he exempt from being fired in any way shape or form. The untouchables were group of highly trusted pursers by the airlines, that back in the 1960's were put on specific flights to ensure that "hot" merchandise/contraband, gold, stolen artwork, and money were boarded in Japan to go to the US as payment by the Japanese govt as collateral for Northwest Orient, and Pan American for the money they invested to get JL and NH off the ground. There were 2 of these untouchables here at NWA until Paul Kemp out SEA retired 2 years ago. Bob is the last one.

Interesting.....