8herveg
Topic Author

Booking Air Berlin & FlyBE On Expedia

Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:17 am

How comes it is possible to book these airlines on Expedia?

Surely as these are both low-cost airlines, they are going to offer flights for a smaller price against the higher-priced traditional airlines?

Example: A flight on from London - Glasgow on Tues 14th Nov returning on the 21st costs £39 with Air Berlin and £71 with BA & BMI!!

Can someone explain??

christeljs

RE: Booking Air Berlin & FlyBE On Expedia

Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:24 am

The dearer flights with BA and BMI flies into Gatwick & Heathrow. Air Berlin flies to Stansted. To get a bus or taxi from Stansted to LGW or LHR or central London for that matter may even cost more than a flight with BA or BMI to a big airport.

..and one more thing. Air Berlin does it with a F  cker. I mean Fokker 100.

[Edited 2006-09-06 18:26:03]
Christel A Photography

8herveg
Topic Author

Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:30 am

Quoting Christeljs (Reply 1):
The dearer flights with BA and BMI flies into Gatwick & Heathrow. Air Berlin flies to Stansted. To get a bus or taxi from Stansted to LGW or LHR or central London for that matter may even cost more than a flight with BA or BMI to a big airport.

..and one more thing. Air Berlin does it with a F cker. I mean Fokker 100.

That doesnt really answer my question. And if this IS your theory, then why can't you book easyJet and Ryanair on Expedia??

cwldude

Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:33 am

Quoting 8herveg (Reply 2):
That doesnt really answer my question. And if this IS your theory, then why can't you book easyJet and Ryanair on Expedia??

Is it just a case of whether the airline wants an agreement with expedia to sell their tickets or not? Ryanair don't sell tickets through agents thats for a fact, and neither to easyJet I don't think, Expedia are an agent!
Thomson Airways - The UKs premier charter airline // now flown : BY -AA -AJ -AE -AT; OO -AX -AU -RA -BG; BRIG; OBYD

LH121GLA

Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:35 am

Quoting 8herveg (Thread starter):
How comes it is possible to book these airlines on Expedia?

Because although these carriers (Air Berlin/flybe) promote themselves as 'low cost' carriers - they distribute via the GDS' (Galileo/Amadeus/Sabre/Worldspan etc.) as well as their own websites. Expedia fares/availability come from a GDS and therefore that's why you see this type of carrier on the Expedia site.

Not all 'low cost' carriers distribute via the GDS' (to keep their costs down) - therefore you won't see all of the 'low-cost' carriers (like Easyjet or Ryanair) on Expedia or the likes - although I can remember the days when Ryanair were on the GDS'!

Some 'low-cost' carriers distribute via the GDS' in their home markets - for example Jet Blue in the US.

GDS' = Global Distribution Systems

ba757

Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:43 am

Quoting Cwldude (Reply 3):
Is it just a case of whether the airline wants an agreement with expedia to sell their tickets or not? Ryanair don't sell tickets through agents thats for a fact, and neither to easyJet I don't think, Expedia are an agent!

Is this to avoid having to pay the likes of Expedia and other agents any (even if only a penile amount) commission? (Reduced expenditure?)

Adam

[Edited 2006-09-06 18:44:52]

christeljs

Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:05 am

Air Berlin's website = GBP 46
Expedia's website = GBP 39.30

For the same flights, I thought that booking thru the airline's website always was cheaper.
Christel A Photography

Pe@rson

Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:22 am

You can actually book FR tickets via some travel agencies - but you'll pay a commission for it.
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

cwldude

Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:24 am

Quoting BA757 (Reply 5):
Is this to avoid having to pay the likes of Expedia and other agents any (even if only a penile amount) commission?

Could be this, could also be because they can promote more extras through their own website and any other offers they have on.

Quoting Christeljs (Reply 6):

For the same flights, I thought that booking thru the airline's website always was cheaper.

Me too! That's weird! Did you go right through to the end (putting your details in), on both sites? One might automatically include things that the other does (taxes, surcharges, insurance etc.)
Thomson Airways - The UKs premier charter airline // now flown : BY -AA -AJ -AE -AT; OO -AX -AU -RA -BG; BRIG; OBYD

LH121GLA

Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:06 am

Quoting Pe@rson (Reply 7):
You can actually book FR tickets via some travel agencies - but you'll pay a commission for it.

Agreed, but the travel agent would not use a GDS to book Ryanair. They would book via the internet (or a link to their site via a 3rd party system).

Pe@rson

Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:17 am

Quoting LH121GLA (Reply 9):
Agreed, but the travel agent would not use a GDS to book Ryanair. They would book via the internet (or a link to their site via a 3rd party system).

Of course. I was simply saying you can still book via travel agencies.
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

highpeaklad

Thu Sep 07, 2006 4:40 am

The only time i've come across it the flights were £42 on flybe and £120 on expedia!

Chris
Don't try to keep up with the Joneses - bring them down to your level !

Leskova

Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:03 am

Quoting Christeljs (Reply 6):

That's one of those eternal rumors around a.net and out in the real world as well... and while it's a quite wide-spread rumor, it is just that: a rumor.

In other words: it's not true.

And the reason why some airlines do not opt to sell their flights through GDSs is most certainly not any "requirement" to pay commissions if you sell your flights that way: dozens of airlines selling their flights through GDSs (in the German market that would, for example, be all of Star Alliance, all of Oneworld, the complete Skyteam alliance, ... with maybe one or two exceptions) don't pay a single percent of commission.

Fact is that selling through a GDS is quite expensive, the fees per booked segment charged by the GDS to the airline can be quite steep - obviously depending on several contractual issues; there are some around here that could probably give better numbers, but I know that, for example, LH used to argue with a sum of around €5 to €8 per segment booked through a GDS that they had to pay to the GDS.

Cut out the GDS and you cut out those sums... but, if you don't find another way, you'll also be cutting out quite a few distribution channels.
Smile - it confuses people!

LH121GLA

Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:51 am

Quoting Leskova (Reply 12):
Cut out the GDS and you cut out those sums... but, if you don't find another way, you'll also be cutting out quite a few distribution channels.

Cut out the GDS' - bad move. Would throw the industry into turmoil IMHO.