burnsie28

No More "beverage Only" In FC On Northwest

Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:59 am

Quote:
Northwest now offers an improved first class tidbit product on beverage-only flights, increasing Northwest’s competitive position with other airlines that offer domestic first class services. It also addresses concerns from premium and Elite customers regarding previous lack of choice, quantity, and variety of mixed nuts and pretzels.

Flights departing before 9:30 a.m. offer bananas, granola bars and muffins. Flights departing after 9:30 a.m. feature apples, bananas, mixed nuts, pretzels, Fritos and Oreos and Almond Roca Candy Bars.

“Considering that 66 percent of domestic flights are beverage-only, our tidbit product has a broad exposure,” said Dan Mord, Director—Food Service Product Development. “Survey cards will be provided to gauge customer reaction and determine any adjustments to the product.”

The new product now appears on select flights departing and arriving at MSP. After the initial test period, it may be implemented system-wide.

While somethings are improving it wont be until they get rid of Steenland and his crew that NW becomes a great airline again.

FCYTravis

RE: No More "beverage Only" In FC On Northwest

Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:02 am

Sounds similar to US Airways' "snack basket" product offered in short-haul FC. Potato chips, pretzels, cashews, shortbread cookies, etc.
USAir A321 service now departing for SFO with fuel stops in CAK, COS and RNO. Enjoy your flight.

Jonno

Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:44 am

An insult. Full stop. This is crap you can buy at 7-11! If this was Economy 'tidbit' service, I could understand. But to call this crap First Class anything is beyond reason and comprehension.

fbgdavidson

Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:52 am

Quoting Jonno (Reply 2):
An insult. Full stop. This is crap you can buy at 7-11! If this was Economy 'tidbit' service, I could understand. But to call this crap First Class anything is beyond reason and comprehension.

thumbsup 

To announce this as some kind of enhancement is embarrassing.
"My first job was selling doors, door to door, that's a tough job innit" - Bill Bailey

burnsie28

Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:53 am

Quoting Jonno (Reply 2):

You can buy just about anything at 7/11, but its some things that most airlines are not going to offer you on a 45 minute flight, don't know what you want. As of right now its just a beverage. Don't see how you get an insult, also note they are giving out surveys to see if they need to tweak the product and such.

roseflyer

Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:01 am

I didn't realize that 66% of Northwest's flights were short enough for them to not offer meals. I guess they have a ton of flights within the midwest and flights to the East Coast from DTW are pretty short. But I think the additional food snacks will be good. US Airways does a similar thing, but so many of their flights are really really short.
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!

B4REAL

Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:37 am

Quoting RoseFlyer (Reply 5):
I didn't realize that 66% of Northwest's flights were short enough for them to not offer meals. I guess they have a ton of flights within the midwest and flights to the East Coast from DTW are pretty short. But I think the additional food snacks will be good.

I bet most airlines are close to this number.

For DL that would be any mainline flight to GA, FL, TX, TN, KY, OH, VA, NC, SC, AL, MS, LA, KS, MO, OK, WI, MN, IL, MI, PA, NJ, DC when flying out of ATL. CVG has similar reach.
B4REAL, spelled like it sounds

falstaff

Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:46 am

In today's Detroit Free Press there is an article talking about NWA raising snack prices for coach by a $1. Looks like the coach passengers are buying the 1st class a bag of trail mix. Maybe they can chip in and buy me a beer! ha ha...
My mug slaketh over on Falstaff N503

burnsie28

Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:52 am

Quoting Falstaff (Reply 7):
In today's Detroit Free Press there is an article talking about NWA raising snack prices for coach by a $1

Apparently according to a latest review, snack boxes are $3-5, which makes me wonder if they have added sandwiches back on domestic. However, again, the fine management of one Douglas Steenland decided to raise the price of trail mix from $1 to $2. STUPID. Just bring back pretzels already!

[Edited 2006-09-07 03:02:49]

Cubsrule

Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:31 am

Quoting Burnsie28 (Reply 8):
However, again, the fine management of one Douglas Steenland decided to raise the price of trail mix from $1 to $2. STUPID. Just bring back pretzels already!

Why bring back pretzels if people will buy the trail mix?
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

wjcandee

Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:49 am

You get nice little snacks in Biz class on Airtran already. What a freakin' joke that NW would make a big deal about a 20-cent banana being offered in First. Pathetic.

Cubsrule

Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:54 am

Quoting Wjcandee (Reply 10):
You get nice little snacks in Biz class on Airtran already.

What does FL do on longer segments like BOS-ATL or DFW-BWI?

JAFA

Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:12 am

NW isn't making a big deal about this! This is information that was published internally to inform employees of the changes. I don't recall seeing any press releases about it. (I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong).

Instead of the granola bar in the morning and pretzels, mixed nuts later in the day, now there is a choice of several items. How is that "Pathetic"?

ejmmsu

Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:28 am

Quoting Wjcandee (Reply 10):
You get nice little snacks in Biz class on Airtran already. What a freakin' joke that NW would make a big deal about a 20-cent banana being offered in First. Pathetic.

Does FL offer full meals on flights over 2.5 hours?

What... they don't?

Pathetic
"If the facts do not conform to the theory, they will have to be disposed of"

burnsie28

Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:42 pm

As far as the snack box and such, think about why NW is doing this, now that people and stuff can't bring anything onto a plane, possible a temporary taking advantage of TSA rules.

Cubsrule

Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:48 pm

Quoting Burnsie28 (Reply 14):
As far as the snack box and such, think about why NW is doing this, now that people and stuff can't bring anything onto a plane, possible a temporary taking advantage of TSA rules.

I'm confused... there are no restrictions on food, just on drinks (which are still free).

aeroplan73

Thu Sep 07, 2006 4:42 pm

Quoting Jonno (Reply 2):

checkmark 

'Sir, I know you paid thousands for this flight, so have a Ritz Cracker, and half a can of Pepsi on us.'  duck 
I remember, the choices were chicken or fish. I had the lasagna.

sunking737

Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:11 pm

Good for NW, but remember you can still get HOT food on SY, and they don't charge you for it.

Oh miss can I have another apple? (NW)

Oh miss is there any of those hot breakfast sandwiches left? (SY)

Which would you choose?
Just an MSPAVGEEK

NewYorkCityBoi

Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:39 pm

Well, I flew NW first class from SEA to MSP in Nov 2005 and they served breakfast on that 757-300 but I guess it filled less than quarter of my stomach. They had small omlet and 2 very tiny pieces of sausage.

Since when does NW stop serving food in F class? and now fruit and snack? I think I expect a hot meal for first class.

The thing is the foods of the first class (even on the int. flight) of the airlines in the US cant even compare to the Economy class 45mins flight in asia. I just flew AA back from NRT to LAX (10 hrs) in Y-class and I got to eat 2 meals with proportions for a baby.

ON the other hand, CX, CI, TG, SQ etc. serve full meal on the 50mins flight from HKG to Taipei. Or MH or SQ from SIN to KUL has the same thing.

My impressive Y-class experience for short flight was the 1 hr flight from Phuket to Bangkok by TG in Mid 90's. They served shrimp panang with rice along with croissant, fruit and desserts. I counted there were 6-7 shrimps per person. I know that TG doesnt do that anymore but still do the sandwich, chiken pie, or sausage croissant at least on the domestic.

N1120A

Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:43 pm

Too bad they STILL don't offer a "tidbit" of IFE on domestic flights and still charge people for seats and pretzels.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

mlsrar

Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:46 pm

Quoting NewYorkCityBoi (Reply 18):
Well, I flew NW first class from SEA to MSP in Nov 2005 and they served breakfast on that 757-300 but I guess it filled less than quarter of my stomach. They had small omlet and 2 very tiny pieces of sausage.

You must have a large appetite. SEA catering is one of the better stations in the system, and, having taken that flight numerous times, you left out the potato-hash mix, yogurt cup, and large bagel or breakfast pastry choice.

Quoting N1120A (Reply 19):
Too bad they STILL don't offer a "tidbit" of IFE on domestic flights and still charge people for seats and pretzels.

Roach choice is a joke, but people have been contributing to the revenue by paying for the seats. The initial debacle involved requiring elites to purchase the seats as well, diluting some of the few values elites had in coach.
I mean, for the right price I’ll fight a lion. - Mike Tyson

goaliemn

Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:52 pm

Quoting Burnsie28 (Reply 8):
. However, again, the fine management of one Douglas Steenland decided to raise the price of trail mix from $1 to $2.

Just as an FYI, the size of the trail mix is alot bigger than before. I rode in Y afew days ago and purchased a tube of Pringles for $2 (not a full sized tube, but a good sized one) and the person next to be got a large bag of trail mix for the $2.

Since when does NW stop serving food in F class? and now fruit and snack? I think I expect a hot meal for first class.

They serve food in first, but only on flights over X amount of time. Now, the flights before that were too short for "real food" get the basket.

I do find it odd you complain about the size/quality of the meal, then complain about possibly losing that delicious, non-stomach filling little omlette.

B4REAL

Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:06 pm

I think I expect a hot meal for first class.

Some routes simply don't have the time, and NW has a lot of very short routes that wouldn't have time for a hot meal:

DTW-FNT/LAN/GRR/AZO/ORD/MKE/CLE/IND; MSP-to a lot of the same.

NW historically has been a proponent of mainline equipment, even on the shortest of routes.
B4REAL, spelled like it sounds

N231YE

Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:14 pm

Quoting Cubsrule (Reply 15):
I'm confused... there are no restrictions on food, just on drinks (which are still free).

shhh  Shhh...don't say that, they might charge us $2 for a can of Pepsi (or Coke). smile 

jcs17

Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:46 pm

I'm pretty happy with this. It kind of gets old having granola bars in the morning and snack mix in the afternoon and evening. Sure, it's not a hot meal, but what US carrier is serving hot meals in first on short flights these days. It would be nice though if NW dropped its hot meal in first duration requirement to a two hour flight.

BTW, I've found the NW omelets to be good and filling.
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

mlsrar

Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:10 pm

Quoting Goaliemn (Reply 21):
Just as an FYI, the size of the trail mix is alot bigger than before. I rode in Y afew days ago and purchased a tube of Pringles for $2 (not a full sized tube, but a good sized one) and the person next to be got a large bag of trail mix for the $2.

It has increased by exactly an ounce...not necessarily a huge increase.

Quoting JCS17 (Reply 24):
BTW, I've found the NW omelets to be good and filling.

Thumbs-up to that one. Their breakfasts blow away most other carriers. AA's breakfast ralf-a-dilla or egg-salad wraps are a disgrace...

ba757gla

Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:25 pm

is this food complimentry? what are you complaing about?

NewYorkCityBoi

Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:36 pm

sorry,
I aware that having an omelet is good enough. I was just comparing a 3.15 hrs NW first class flight with 50 mins economy class flights in many other carriers.

I remember I took CO from SFO-EWR (4.30 hrs) on F and they serve the hot meal and ice cream. And another time last year on CO from CLE-ATL (1.20hrs)(even on Y class), they serve a sandwich which was really surprising!

burnsie28

Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:51 pm

Quoting Cubsrule (Reply 15):

Last I knew, people couldn't bring anything including solid food onto the aircraft.

pmg1704

Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:19 am

Mmm, nothing like Fritos at 9:30 in the morning.

Wait, how much was my ticket again?

Cubsrule

Fri Sep 08, 2006 2:06 am

Quoting Burnsie28 (Reply 28):
Last I knew, people couldn't bring anything including solid food onto the aircraft.

Solid food is fine.

goaliemn

Fri Sep 08, 2006 2:12 am

Quoting Mlsrar (Reply 25):
It has increased by exactly an ounce...not necessarily a huge increase.

but wasn't it about an ounce before? I don't remember the exact size before, but it looked about twice as big as the old packs.

kanebear

Fri Sep 08, 2006 3:35 am

Quoting B4real (Reply 22):
Some routes simply don't have the time, and NW has a lot of very short routes that wouldn't have time for a hot meal:

DTW-FNT/LAN/GRR/AZO/ORD/MKE/CLE/IND; MSP-to a lot of the same.

NW historically has been a proponent of mainline equipment, even on the shortest of routes.

CX manage to feed a full J class on AND -TPE in 50 minutes, and that's a full tray plus multiple drinks rounds AND bread service. BA manage to get all-day deli bags and drinks service out on LHR-CDG in Y (on a packed 734, admittedly it's been a while) AND do a full meal in a VERY full 757 C class CDG-LHR. That's 216 miles and it's not as though they can use a delay for service time. BS there's not time.

[Edited 2006-09-07 20:36:59]

mlsrar

Fri Sep 08, 2006 3:46 am

Quoting Cubsrule (Reply 30):
but wasn't it about an ounce before? I don't remember the exact size before, but it looked about twice as big as the old packs.

Went from 3 to 4 oz. So, I guess a 33% increase technically...

[Edited 2006-09-07 20:47:29]

burnsie28

Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:40 am

Quoting Kanebear (Reply 32):
CX manage to feed a full J class on AND -TPE in 50 minutes, and that's a full tray plus multiple drinks rounds AND bread service. BA manage to get all-day deli bags and drinks service out on LHR-CDG in Y (on a packed 734, admittedly it's been a while) AND do a full meal in a VERY full 757 C class CDG-LHR. That's 216 miles and it's not as though they can use a delay for service time. BS there's not time.

1. People over there actually pay good money for a ticket, unlike here.

2. This isn't Asia, we have a hell of a lot more competition, too much thus is why US airlines standards are lower then that of Asian, once Asia gets all wrapped up by LCC's and several airlines, expect all that to slowly get phased out.

3. They have about twice as many FA's per flight then what most US carriers do. Happens when people don't want to pay anymore then $25-$99 for a RT ticket, you can't afford to pay all the people.

worldjet777

Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:26 am

Listen this is an improvment and even if you could buy the goods at 7-11 its still more than the drink. My compliments to NW for doing SOMETHING! AirTran does a better job in their $35 biz class than most carriers in their FC...and I find that simply crazy...
Cheers,
wj777
Now Your Flying Smart

NewYorkCityBoi

Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:47 am

Quoting Burnsie28 (Reply 34):

I dont think so. My experience is that it's cheaper in both asia and Europe

Happens when people don't want to pay anymore then $25-$99 for a RT ticket, you can't afford to pay all the people.

Really, the cheapest I ever bought was SW LAX-PHX like $79 RT

I think the reason airlines in the US/Canada has less quality of service than the other parts of the world because they all have a financial problems to fix. And cutting F/A is one of the strategies.

kanebear

Fri Sep 08, 2006 6:37 am

2. This isn't Asia, we have a hell of a lot more competition, too much thus is why US airlines standards are lower then that of Asian, once Asia gets all wrapped up by LCC's and several airlines, expect all that to slowly get phased out.

3. They have about twice as many FA's per flight then what most US carriers do. Happens when people don't want to pay anymore then $25-$99 for a RT ticket, you can't afford to pay all the people.

We don't pay?? You're drinking too much legacy kool-aid. Fares are often LOWER in Europe than here and in Asia some routes are astonishingly cheap. Try BKK-HKG. CX full J is $850 r/t. They fly 'real' aircraft on those routes too. They also have real competition. It's not just CX and TG on that route.

BKK is a cheap market you say? NRT is $1800 r/t in J from HKG. Even ex-NRT it's $2120 to HKG and NRT is also a high priced market. Contrast that with $3,600 in J for JFK-LAX. How 'bout MEX-LHR? On AA, full J is $5629. Full F is $8499. Exchange rate differences can't explain a $3-5,000 difference (depending on route and class) between connecting from MEX and taking the exact same flights ex-us. Fact is, the US is one of the HIGHEST premium fare markets in the world. Even London offers more bargains than we do. Want to open your eyes wide? Price GRU-LHR-GRU in J on AA. Put a US stopver in, then reprice it.

But back on topic: We're talking about NW's food service in F, not Y. Except for a VERY small population, you have businesspeople and/or farepayers in F. How else would one get the wide chair? You don't make Elite status on $25-$99 once a year flying, nor do you earn enough miles to take a reward flight in F very quickly. Then, even among elites the upgrade systems prefer higher fare classes within elite tiers. Your argument just doesn't hold water.

US airlines are inefficient. Their cost structures are inefficient. They had problems before 9/11 and before $70 oil. Don't blame the pax for this BS, blame mismanagement. Blame corporate contracts (that the airlines signed) that offer 50% discounts, requiring full fares to be pushed through the roof so that they aren't giving away the farm completely. Blame the majors for wal-martizing, dropping their drawers, and matching fares. They created the expectation of supra-cheap fares. Here's a hint: LCCs cannot and never will be able to replace legacy carriers. Thus, no need to price accordingly.

[Edited 2006-09-07 23:42:19]

jcs17

Fri Sep 08, 2006 6:38 am

Quoting Cubsrule (Reply 30):
Solid food is fine.

What about a shake, smoothie, or a Frosty?  Wink Can you imagine a screeners reaction if you tried explaining that to them? I'm betting their heads would explode.

It's cheaper in Europe if you want to fly Ryan Air or EasyJet, and many people do. However, its pretty expensive outside of the LCCs. don't think I have ever flown NW for less than $250 and usually my tickets are in the $400-$450 range. Northwest, compared to other major carriers, does have a lot of high-yielding markets in the US. They've simply been mismanaged from day 1--and still are today (example: CoachChoice for Elites [finally after enough outrage they stopped charging]). My theory on Northwest (and Delta for that matter), is that they aren't innovators, and when they are they make bad mistakes.
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

airnewzealand

Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:32 am

Kanebear WELL SAID!!!!

In Australia, its exactly the same...

We still manae to serve some sort of food on any flight.

On my recent flight i operated in YC from SYD-MEL... flight time 50mins...

Service time: 30mins

Service: Hot tray consisting of : Blackpepper steak with rice/Chocolate bar/banana/cheese & crackers/ Hot bakery.
Tea/coffee.
Second wines/tea coffee.
Collect.

Pax load: 345Y
Flight attendants: 8
Aircraft: 747-300

Take in mind this is Economy. Even in off-peak hours we serve muffins/sandwiches etc...

But on a positive note its good that NW are bringing back something...its betterthan nothing at the end of the day. Obviously pax like it or the airline wouldnt be around...Fair comment??

Cheers

PS: Im just pointing out that their is time to do a service. Thats all.

AsstChiefMark

Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:42 am

I'd expect huge gourmet muffins, fresh fruit flown in the daily from the growers, premium coffees and teas, and "microbrew" gourmet soft drinks.

At least they're not giving FC passengers Slim Jims and trail mix.

Mark
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

burnsie28

Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:58 am

Quoting Kanebear (Reply 37):

BKK is a cheap market you say?

No i was saying that they are going to be just like the US when they start getting all the competition over there. When I was looking for fares within europe from Berlin to Munich the cheapest that i could find was $300 US dollars. Even on an LCC.

Iflewrepublic

Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:05 am

Off and running...

People will always bitch about airline food. Either they don't get any, or they get something and it's not what they want. This just goes to show that an airline cannot please everyone. It's simple. It's there. Take it. Sit down. Be quiet.

Iflewrepublic.
Aviation is proof that, given the will, we have the capacity to achieve the impossible.

kanebear

Sat Sep 09, 2006 11:44 am

Quoting Burnsie28 (Reply 41):
No i was saying that they are going to be just like the US when they start getting all the competition over there. When I was looking for fares within europe from Berlin to Munich the cheapest that i could find was $300 US dollars. Even on an LCC.

START getting all the competition???? On BKK-HKG, TG, CX, GF, AI, EK and CI fly the route. How much more competition do you want??? That's more carriers than most routes in the US have!!! Most intra-Asia routes have at least three carriers on them. Where did you get this idea that intra-Asian carriers don't compete? China and Japan are somewhat more restrictive but even there on most routes you have at least three carriers competing. That's more than can be said for MANY routes in the US.

AA767400

Sat Sep 09, 2006 12:42 pm

My impressive Y-class experience for short flight was the 1 hr flight from Phuket to Bangkok by TG in Mid 90's. They served shrimp panang with rice along with croissant, fruit and desserts. I counted there were 6-7 shrimps per person. I know that TG doesnt do that anymore but still do the sandwich, chiken pie, or sausage croissant at least on the domestic.

Apples and oranges. You just can't compare.

Quoting Kanebear (Reply 32):
on a packed 734, admittedly it's been a while)

Exactly.

Don't compare. Suzy Q is not going to take crap like her Asian counter parts are. Two very different cultures.

BA does not have the management problems that all the other North American airlines have. You must factor in unions, and management. Did you know that BA Flight Attendants have to retire by 60-65? Thus keeping higher paid employees out.

And how many airlines do these countries have? 1, 2?

Yes you can do your freaking hot meal in 30 minutes, but do they have the money,resources,culture,work ethic to do it? NO!

Quoting Airnewzealand (Reply 39):
In Australia, its exactly the same...

Oh here we ago again! When will people stop comparing markets that are so far apart that you can't see each other.

Down under you only have a handful of airlines, and a Smaller population. You don't have the same work ethic,management,unions, and size!
"The low fares airline."

NewYorkCityBoi

Sat Sep 09, 2006 8:21 pm

Quoting AA767400 (Reply 44):
Don't compare

Quoting AA767400 (Reply 44):
Two very different cultures

I know it's culture differeces, and I dont complain... but people cant help but "compare".

You just feel it... for example if you fly KUL-SIN/SIN-LAX/LAX-DEN by SQ then UA, you would feel a huge different from a 45 mins on SQ (KUL-SIN) and 2 hrs on UA (LAX-DEN)

From Europe is the same way.. like CDG-LHR/LHR-ORD/ORD-somewhere on BA then AA...

but as many said, I agree that NW improvement is good!

Quoting Kanebear (Reply 43):
START getting all the competition???? On BKK-HKG, TG, CX, GF, AI, EK and CI fly the route.

believe me, it's a lot more than that on BKK-HKG:from what I can think of now.... TG, CX, GF, AI, EK, CI, KQ, ET, OX, 9I, UL, PK, KA, AY .... 14 carriers!, all wide bodies!, I had flown some of those. The ticket veries from $100 - $250 on Y (RT)... I think HKG-TPE, and BKK-SIN has about the same number of choices...Well, I would say Market in Asia is huge and competitive but good service is part of the culture.

sllevin

Sat Sep 09, 2006 8:31 pm

The BKK-HKG/SIN market is a slightly odd one because several carriers operate it as a tag-along to their longhaul service to try and avoid an aircraft sitting for a long period of time. So lots of odds things get flown there, equipment size.

As far as service, of course, yes, US levels are lousy compared to European or Aasian carriers. I've flown KUL-SIN any number of times (sometimes on widebodies, sometimes in 737-400's) but I've always gotten hand-plated snacks and food even though it's a 45 minute sector.

Even KL's "Europe Select" (which I detest) has US-surpassing service levels.

Steve

airnewzealand

Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:46 pm

AA767 400...

And that is exactly YOUR culture....put up and shut up!!!!

Down here...we dont do that!!!!

Cheers

Shamrock_747

Tue Sep 12, 2006 1:08 am

It sounds like a really awful domestic F product. On a 45 min+ flight they could surely offer something like a cold tray with fruit plate, cereal/salad and bread rolls.

rikkus67

Tue Sep 12, 2006 7:09 am

Regardless of what First Class is offering, I would rather have a good meal before my flight, and have snacks along route...or (if permitted), bring my own damn meal. It's usually going to be better than anything the airline catering service slapped together en mass hours earlier.

Unfortunately, there exists in the USA a "high expectation / low cost" mentality...

This was very evident on a flight from San Francisco to Denver 20+years ago. A rerouting after more than a days wait had us bussed (airline picked up tab) from Sacramento to San Francisco,due to westcoast extreem fog conditions.

The flight was held back in San Fran while a Canadian soccer team and their families were added to the flight after the 36 hour fog delay out of Sacramento. The whole westcoast was a mess, trying to get people farther East.
When we arrived at Stapleton (yes, this WAS a while back), everything was closed, so we were shuttled to the Hotel. When we arrived at the airline supplied hotel (Mariott), the staff had been working non-stop since the delays started. The Dining Room was closed (it was 12:30AM), and they had pulled together a smorgasborg for the stranded passengers.

...Guess who were the loudest, most demanding, and rudest complainers? It wasn't us "foreigners" (we were starved, and gracious for anything at that point), it was the US domestic passengers... They figured after the delays, that they were ENTITLED to the full dining room menu after hours...because THEY were inconvenienced. Even though the smorg was airline paid for, it "wasn't adequate"...WHY should they have to accept a smorg?!? Why didn't the staff stay behind after 12+ hour shifts, so that they could have a full sit down meal?!?

That image was permanently etched in my mind.
AC.WA.CP.DL.RW.CO.WG.WJ.WN.KI.FL.SK.ACL.UA.US.F9