8herveg
Topic Author

What If LHR, LGW, STN & LTN Combined?

Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:31 pm

Hi

I was just wondering, if all the traffic at Heathrow, Gatwick, Stansted & Luton all combined to become one big airport with say, 8 runways, do you think the demand would still be there for every flight, and that the traffic levels would be exactly the same as they are currently?

Do you think this scheme would work?

This is all hyperthetical obviously, but say if they built the airport somewhere in north London inside the M25?

What is everyones thoughts?

mainMAN

RE: What If LHR, LGW, STN & LTN Combined?

Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:45 pm

That's a good question, but it's almost impossible to answer.

I would guess that combined traffic would be lower, although connecting possibilities would be far greater. Southampton would take a far greater number of passengers from south of London and the south coast, as would Manston if the proposed airport was north of London.

The fact that you can fly to Amsterdam or Glasgow (for example) from so many points/airports dotted around London creates some demand that otherwise wouldn't be there.

There's also no room inside the M25 for an 8 runway airport, but that's not really central to the question.

richardw

Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:47 pm

They'd have to invest in rail, for passengers and cargo getting to that new airport, and they'd never do that.

[Edited 2006-09-07 12:48:28]

8herveg
Topic Author

Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:55 pm

Yeh, sorry, forgot to mention, this is all bearing in mind that local airports would increase in size. Southampton, Brighton, Southend, Norwich, Cambridge, Oxford, Manston etc.

express1

Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:18 pm

Well at some point,land will be needed for another large airport,and this green belt land thing,should be handed over,well some of it anyway,also the Military should start shareing with the civil side and and open up up some of their flight routes.

dave
David.S cavanagh since 1961,if you can do better,then show me.

Skidmarque

Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:31 pm

Quoting Express1 (Reply 4):
and this green belt land thing,should be handed over

Except for the green belt land next to where you live, right ?
DUCK !

express1

Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:34 pm

Quoting GBOAG (Reply 5):

wrong!! all green belt land,its all sitting there doing nothing,while airports are cloging up, it needs to go some where

dave
David.S cavanagh since 1961,if you can do better,then show me.

mainMAN

Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:44 pm

Quoting Express1 (Reply 6):
wrong!! all green belt land,its all sitting there doing nothing,while airports are cloging up, it needs to go some where

Wait a min....! You do realise that the concept of 'green belt land' means absolutely zip don't you? They build on green belt land all the time. It largely depends on how bent local councillors are, and also to a large degree how bancrupt the local farming community is.

I live in what was once a semi-rural market town, which is about to get yet another 600 houses built, to add to the 1000 already built, mostly on green belt land. Hmmmm.

[Edited 2006-09-07 13:45:17]

CPH757

Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:55 pm

Another interesting scheme would be that the airports was linked by a maglev train, cutting the travel distance from one to another by a massive amount of time. This would allow passengers to connect easier between the different airports, which in this setup could be seen more as terminals.

Of course it's to expensive right now, and the technology isn't good enough, but I believe this could be a future solution...
Last flight: SAW-CPH on H9 on 02/11/09 - Next Flights: 23/12/09 CPH-AAL on QI, 30/12/09 CPH-LHR on SK, 19/01/10 CPH-CDG-

Vasu

Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:04 pm

I do like that maglev idea (although the distances travelled would be quite large!)

Imagine connecting from an inbound flight at London Airport's Luton Terminal to an outbound flight from the Heathrow Terminal!

SLCUT2777

Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:17 pm

Quoting CPH757 (Reply 8):
Another interesting scheme would be that the airports was linked by a maglev train, cutting the travel distance from one to another by a massive amount of time. This would allow passengers to connect easier between the different airports, which in this setup could be seen more as terminals.
Of course it's to expensive right now, and the technology isn't good enough, but I believe this could be a future solution...

Now only if the Port Authority of New York would take up this idea to link EWR, LGA and JFK perhaps the demand and whinning of those attempting to connect to one or the other airport as well as getting to mid-town Manhattan will subside!
DELTA Air Lines; The Only Way To Fly from Salt Lake City; Let the Western Heritage always be with Delta!

flylondon

Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:21 pm

Quoting SLCUT2777 (Reply 10):
Now only if the Port Authority of New York would take up this idea to link EWR, LGA and JFK perhaps the demand and whinning of those attempting to connect to one or the other airport as well as getting to mid-town Manhattan will subside!

I was going to say... shouldn't New York focus on getting the basics right first - namely a one seat ride from JFK to Manhattan!

ba757gla

Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:22 pm

Quoting 8herveg (Reply 3):
Yeh, sorry, forgot to mention, this is all bearing in mind that local airports would increase in size. Southampton, Brighton, Southend, Norwich, Cambridge, Oxford, Manston etc.

Oxford isent that just an airfield ! And does cambridge have any flights anymore?

8herveg
Topic Author

Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:30 pm

Quoting Ba757gla (Reply 12):
Oxford isent that just an airfield ! And does cambridge have any flights anymore?

No Oxford has a proper paved runway. Don't think it is wide enough though to handle anything larger than small props.

Humberside

Fri Sep 08, 2006 2:53 am

Quoting Ba757gla (Reply 12):
And does cambridge have any flights anymore?

Tghe only public flight is a weekly summer charter to JER. This has run for many years
Visit the Air Humberside Website and Forum

LAXdude1023

Fri Sep 08, 2006 3:04 am

All the London Airports Combined???

Now that would be chaotic. It wont happen. The airspace would be way too clogged. Then there is the issue of where they would put it. The system is not too bad the way it is.
It is what it is...

MRURUN

Fri Sep 08, 2006 3:34 am

Quoting LAXdude1023 (Reply 15):

There has been talk of it OFF the coast! Seems the present government has other things on their mind, sadly.

Pe@rson

Fri Sep 08, 2006 3:52 am

Quoting MRURUN (Reply 16):
There has been talk of it OFF the coast!

Would that be a bit dangerous? I mean, if you're OFF the coast, you're in the water. Still, an underwater airport. What an innovation!  Wink
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

sv2008

Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:02 am

If they werre going to combine any, would LGW/LHR and seperatly, LTN/STN be better?

It has many problems though, not just the passengers but luggage transfers and other cargo.
With a massive rail investment, they could probably do it, but they wouldn't. Trains would have to be sealed, airside and very frequent, maybe every 5 mins, which would require new dedicated lines - they couldn't just mix with the local traffic.

In that way an hourly or half hourly free shuttle flight using an ATR or something between the two might be better and cheaper - not possible now easily, but with LHR 3rd runway and LGW 2nd it might be possible.

The best option would just to have free airside coach links with direct access to the terminals through tunnels - there are buses already, but they are all from outside the terminal, so take forever (I'd imagine). The M4 already has a bus lane I think. Only problem is heavy traffic during the day.

Presumably they have considered all this though, and none of it is cost effective. The most fun option would be a free air shuttle though  Smile