dsa

GFK Airport Expansion

Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:00 am

Hello,

I was just wondering about any expansion rumours or possibilities at GFK. These should be rumors of new service,

My guesses would be;

DTW with NW, LAS with G4 and Pos DEN or ORD with UA. What about a NY service.
Go Skybus!!!!

burnsie28

RE: GFK Airport Expansion

Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:04 am

1. DTW unlikely
2. LAS with G4, won't happen, they serve FAR and GFK can barely support the 2 time a year charter flights to Nevada.
3. UA won't serve here, they have before and pulled out, everyone in GFK is a NW Worldperks member, not to mention, they don't have anywhere to park a plane both gates are owned by Northwest, actually apparently the whole terminal and tarmac for commercial operations are owned by Northwest.

azstar

Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:10 pm

Fargo is 75 miles away and has nonstop service to MSP, SLC, LAS, ORD, & DEN. GFK will not support additional service.

stirling

Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:56 am

MAYBE, and that's a BIG Maybe, when Frontier starts getting their fleet of Q400s, their might be a possiblity way down the road of service to Denver.

I could see something like Frontier (ver. 1) did, and flights I myself once took, and that is, tagged to another flight. I flew to Denver from Fran Gorks via Fargo, Bismarck, and Sioux Falls.

But unless the area is in the middle of a growth spurt, the chances are highly unlikely....BUT, a nice efficient propjet, with a third fewer seats would be infinitely more profitable than anything Frontier used, or anything the market has seen in a long time.
Delete this User

jcs17

Mon Sep 11, 2006 12:36 pm

Fargo is a more likely candidate for DTW service, but that isn't likely at all. MSP is the largest O&D market for both cities by a mile and it just so happens that close to every major city is served by NW out of MSP. It is simply more efficient for NW to serve most of the Upper Midwest solely through MSP.

Denver and Las Vegas won't happen, either.

Quoting Burnsie28 (Reply 1):
everyone in GFK is a NW Worldperks member, not to mention, they don't have anywhere to park a plane both gates are owned by Northwest, actually apparently the whole terminal and tarmac for commercial operations are owned by Northwest.

It doesn't matter that everyone in GFK (or FAR... or everyone else in North Dakota) is a WorldPerks member. FAR-originating passengers aren't what makes UAs or DLs service profitable, it is the people traveling to North Dakota.

GFK's terminal and tarmac are not owned by Northwest. They are owned by the Grand Forks Airport Authority.
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

airportguy

Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:37 am

Quoting JCS17 (Reply 4):
Fargo is a more likely candidate for DTW service, but that isn't likely at all. MSP is the largest O&D market for both cities by a mile and it just so happens that close to every major city is served by NW out of MSP. It is simply more efficient for NW to serve most of the Upper Midwest solely through MSP.

Top Domestic O&D Markets for Fargo (12 months ended March 2006).
1. Las Vegas
2. Chicago
3. Denver
4. Phoenix
5. Minneapolis

Minneapolis has been dropping in ranks as a top market since 2001. It was 4th last year.