DTWAGENT
Topic Author

Runway Closed In ATL

Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:50 am

What is up with the runway closure in ATL? Anyone have any info?

Chuck

RL757PVD

RE: Runway Closed In ATL

Tue Sep 12, 2006 7:12 am

It is Runway 8R-26L which is closed for a reconstruction/rehab. It has been planned and will be closed for the next 2 months. An endaround taxiway for Runway 8R is also under construction.
Experience is what you get when what you thought would work out didn't!

twal1011727

Tue Sep 12, 2006 7:37 am

Rwy 8R-26L is closed for resurfacing.

It seems that ATC cannot handle the poop load of A/C and are putting up to 2-3 hrs of gate holds out there.
DL alone today has cancelled 23 flts due to ATC excessive delays and has had 3 divert for fuel.
At 1820L 11SEP06 the ATL Metar showed ATL with few clouds at 5000' with 8 miles visibility. So Wx is not the problem. Can you say "too many RJs."

I saw this coming just after they opened the new rwy 10/28. After they re-open 8R-26L, another runway will be closed for work. Expect delays probably thru next year. This is with good weather in ATL, just think what the delays will be like when its 1/8 mile fog and rain w/low clouds.

KD

73G

Tue Sep 12, 2006 7:42 am

Quoting TWAL1011727 (Reply 2):
So Wx is not the problem. Can you say "too many RJs."

Not entirely true. Today (9/11), the problem was two-fold. As has been mentioned 8R-26L is closed until November. And while the METAR indicates visibility at the airport is decent, arriving aircraft were continually reporting no visual contact with other traffic. This resulted in the need to go to ILS's. With the 8R/26L construction underway, the current east operations plan is to use 9R and 10 for approaches and 8L and 9L for departures. 9R and 10 are not spaced far enough apart for simultaneous instrument approaches, thus the need for staggering. ATL could not get the arrival rate correct today which caused at least four GDP revisions...and several headaches. I fear its going to be a long two months.

nwafflyer

Tue Sep 12, 2006 7:55 am

Oh uggggggggg - means now i have to change all my ATL flights to either Birmingham, Huntsville or Montgomery - on a 'go home' Friday, nothing is worse than missing my 'home' connection from DTW because of ATL - ATL was fine for a few months, but apparently, no longer

deltagator

Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:25 am

This f***ing blows! I know the work needs to be done but I was really enjoying the last year since Delta debanked the flights and I almost never had a delay coming or going.
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

SESGDL

Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:34 am

Yeah, I'm glad I'm not there. I'm sorry but ATL was a nightmare with the 5th runway. Now it's back to 4 but with two runways that can't have simultaneous arrivals. Yikes! Just about every flight for DL and FL that I looked up was delayed, quite a few diverted, and some delays were more than 2 hours. This must be awful for DL and FL's schedules, as just about everything goes through ATL at some point during the year.

Jeremy

nwafflyer

Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:35 am

Last flight thru ATL already booked - Sept 24th -- from there, I do RJ's to avoid the absolutely stupid idiotic wait in Atlanta

ORD, LAX, DTW, MSP are also hubs -- and from a Delta perspective, so is SLC - why are the worst waits, the most missed connections through ATL? (And, even if I make the connection about 50% of the time my luggage doesn't)

While I don't like RJ's, I prefer them into Birmingham, Montgomery, Huntsville anything other than Atlanta

IAHFLYR

Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:17 am

Quoting 73g (Reply 3):
This resulted in the need to go to ILS's. With the 8R/26L construction underway, the current east operations plan is to use 9R and 10 for approaches and 8L and 9L for departures. 9R and 10 are not spaced far enough apart for simultaneous instrument approaches, thus the need for staggering.

An excellent post and right on the money. If you don't have airplanes seeing the other guy that they need to visually aquire or the runway in the right spot then visuals are out the window. ATC in ATL is fabulous and from my tiny hole in the world DL is lucky to have those guys/gals there doing the job they do.....if there is a way to make it work they sure do.

Anytime you shut a runway down no matter how much planning goes into it there is going to be some impact to the arrival & departure capacity.
Any views shared are strictly my own and do not a represent those of any former employer.

ejmmsu

Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:46 am

Yet another reason to choose MEM or CLT over ATL for hassle free, on-time connections.
"If the facts do not conform to the theory, they will have to be disposed of"

B4REAL

Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:48 am

I've been flying through ATL a lot recently. It wasn't too bad for me, as my mainline flights were all on time. My DCI flights always left about 20 minutes late, but arrived 5 minutes early (figure that one out).

I did however, on Friday go DL 301 CCS-ATL and get to land on the new runway, which was cool!
B4REAL, spelled like it sounds

Delta787

Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:17 am

Quoting Ejmmsu (Reply 9):
Yet another reason to choose MEM or CLT over ATL for hassle free, on-time connections.

I think I'll stick with ATL for the more convienent flight times and more flight options.
Fly Delta!

ejmmsu

Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:19 am

Quoting Delta787 (Reply 11):
I think I'll stick with ATL for the more convienent flight times and more flight options.

That is certainly your perogative. I just prefer getting to my destination on time, and not having 1.5 hour block times for flights that last 40 minutes.. and still not getting there on time.

B4REAL

Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:29 am

Quoting Delta787 (Reply 11):

Right on. Having flown through ATL 4 times in 12 days, I can say I never arrived at my destination late.
B4REAL, spelled like it sounds

73G

Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:06 am

Quoting Iahflyr (Reply 8):
ATC in ATL is fabulous

Amen! Those guys and gals work minor miracles everyday. I was reminded of that today when a single TSTM cell passed over DFW. DFW with its SEVEN runways was closed to arriving traffic for close to 60 minutes. Inbounds were holding as far away as 400 miles on all arrival fixes. I counted well over 30 diversions affecting all carriers (American the most, of course). Repeat the same situation just five days ago in ATL. Single cell, same speed and intensity across the field. ATL TRACON never skipped a beat and worked traffic in right up to and right after the cell passage. There were less than 10 diversions at an extremely busy time of afternoon (DL European arrival bank). For my money, they are hands down the best TRACON crew in the country.

DAL767400ER

Tue Sep 12, 2006 5:13 pm

Quoting Ejmmsu (Reply 12):
I just prefer getting to my destination on time, and not having 1.5 hour block times for flights that last 40 minutes.. and still not getting there on time.

What good is an airport's good on-time performance when it's choice of destinations is pretty limited and most markets would involve a connection at another hub airport like ATL anyway?

ejmmsu

Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:04 pm

Quoting DAL767400ER (Reply 15):
What good is an airport's good on-time performance when it's choice of destinations is pretty limited and most markets would involve a connection at another hub airport like ATL anyway?

I can connect to pretty much anywhere I want to go via MEM or CLT.

IAHFLYR

Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:27 pm

Quoting Ejmmsu (Reply 16):

Yeah, right up till they close a runway too!
Any views shared are strictly my own and do not a represent those of any former employer.

DAL767400ER

Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:29 pm

You perhaps, but not everybody has the same places to go to.

ejmmsu

Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:59 pm

Quoting IAHFLYR (Reply 17):
Yeah, right up till they close a runway too!

ATL has had well-known problems with long block times, long taxi times, and long lines for takeoff well before any runway is closed. When i fly through MEM, about half the time during normal operations my flight is #1 for departure and we have a nice rolling takeoff. I have never been more than #2 in line.

Also, the MEM-GSO block time is about 1 hour 45 minutes, for a flight that lasts about 1 hour, 25 minutes. So NW gets me there on time, and also only adds in 20 minutes of total ground and taxi times for the entire fight. ATL-GSO is a flight that lasts about 40 minutes, but the block time is 1 hr 23 minutes. So that leaves 43 minutes of ground time. Thats more time on the ground than in the air!

Sure, MEM would have problems if a runway is closed, but since MEM ops are better in normal conditions, the problems would not be as bad as ATL with a closed runway.

IAHFLYR

Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:56 am

Quoting Ejmmsu (Reply 19):
I have never been more than #2 in line.

Did they have to hold the 1st departure so your flight was 2nd?  Smile

Quoting Ejmmsu (Reply 19):
Also, the MEM-GSO block time is about 1 hour 45 minutes, for a flight that lasts about 1 hour, 25 minutes. So NW gets me there on time, and also only adds in 20 minutes of total ground and taxi times for the entire fight. ATL-GSO is a flight that lasts about 40 minutes, but the block time is 1 hr 23 minutes. So that leaves 43 minutes of ground time. Thats more time on the ground than in the air!

Ya know quite often the block times are different for the same trip aren't they, yes they are! Quite often the size of a departure bank dictates the ground time so your 43 minutes of a particular flight could be different for the next flight to the same destination, could be less could be more. Same at MEM.....go in a large bank of departures and that 20 min taxi time could be more or could be less.

quickmover

Wed Sep 13, 2006 1:03 am

Why does it take so long just to repave a runway? When you look at how many miles a day a road contractor can pave, it shouldn't take longer than a week IMO.

IAHFLYR

Wed Sep 13, 2006 1:11 am

Quoting Quickmover (Reply 21):
Why does it take so long just to repave a runway? When you look at how many miles a day a road contractor can pave, it shouldn't take longer than a week IMO.

Roads contractors don't have to put in 19" of product nor ensure it is stressed to take 2,000,000,000,000,000+  Smile landings of aircraft that weigh lots of pounds each day! Oh, then there are the electrical issues with centerline lights, edge lights, high speed turn off lights, signage.....but then they have to tear it up on some cases first. A week huh, if you can get that all done in a week I want stock in your organization for sure.

RL757PVD

Wed Sep 13, 2006 1:20 am

Quoting Quickmover (Reply 21):

I believe it is a full reconstruction. The origional plan wat to try and eliminate the "dip" in the runway, but that was deemed not practical.

The schedule is as compressed as possible since it is a 60-day schedule with work 24-hours per day.

Also keep in mind, we're talking concrete here, not asphalt.

ejmmsu

Wed Sep 13, 2006 2:29 am

Quoting IAHFLYR (Reply 20):
Ya know quite often the block times are different for the same trip aren't they, yes they are! Quite often the size of a departure bank dictates the ground time so your 43 minutes of a particular flight could be different for the next flight to the same destination, could be less could be more. Same at MEM.....go in a large bank of departures and that 20 min taxi time could be more or could be less.

NW only has three connection banks at MEM.. all flights are duing connection banks.

ATL is a rolling hub.. there are no banks... the taxi/ground times built into the block time are consistent for all ATL-GSO flights.

Your argument really does not hold water.

litz

Wed Sep 13, 2006 3:13 am

Just be thankful that 5th runway is up and operational (do they have the instrument rating up and running yet?) ...

Can you imagine the delays if you took one of the four runways, pre-5th, out of service?

I'm somewhat puzzled as to why, though ... I've been on tons of runways all around the country that are far, far, far rougher than Hartsfield's various ones ...

I guess it's just preventative work, or something ...

Hartsfield has, I think, some of the smoothest concrete in the country.

If you want the alternative, go try Melbourne, FL for instance ...

- litz

RL757PVD

Wed Sep 13, 2006 3:17 am

The schedule also works well with the taxiway construction. Prior to the runway closing the threshold was displaced, now the construction of the taxiway may be less inhibitied. Just knock out all the 8R-26L projects in one swing. It may be a pain in the @$$ for 60 days, but rather that sproading projects over several years, just closing it mfor 60 days may be the more efficent, and safer option.

IAHFLYR

Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:22 am

Quoting Ejmmsu (Reply 24):

How about concrete? I could actually care less what holds water but I will sure look at those banks as I have nothing else to do today.

IAHFLYR

Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:27 am

Quoting Ejmmsu (Reply 24):

Or maybe it does hole water as I have found a few different times....MEM-GSO has a 1:42 time listed, then 1:52 time listed and then a 1:50 time listed for at least 3 different CRJ's through the day! Enjoy  Smile

ejmmsu

Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:54 am

Quoting IAHFLYR (Reply 28):
Or maybe it does hole water as I have found a few different times....MEM-GSO has a 1:42 time listed, then 1:52 time listed and then a 1:50 time listed for at least 3 different CRJ's through the day! Enjoy

Those times are similar, and none have outragous ground/taxi times. NW has a similar amount of flights at each flight bank, so these small changes in block times are somewhat arbitrary. The main point is that although these block times are nominally different, all of the allow only for reasonable ground and taxi times... not sitting and waiting in line for a long time to take off.

This is not the case with DL, which was the real argument I was trying to make. The long block times for ATL flights are universal, and not an aberation of one particular flight. There will indeed be slight differences in block times, but all ATL-GSO flights have longer taxi/ground times built into their block times than MEM-GSO flights.

IAHFLYR

Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:59 am

got ya...just fly from MEM then ! Smile

DTWAGENT
Topic Author

Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:11 am

Thank you for the information on the runway closure.

chuck

sv2008

Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:24 am

Whats the difference between asphalt and concrete (apart from the obvious)?

And how would an airport like LHR cope with a runway reconstruction like that?

DAL767400ER

Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:51 am

Quoting Sv2008 (Reply 32):
Whats the difference between asphalt and concrete (apart from the obvious)?

Don't know too much other than that concrete is better for airports with year-round hot wheather and extremely hot temperatures during summer, like LAS or PHX. An old magazine article a few years ago reported of an incident on a summer day when the temperatures at PHX went too high and parts of the then asphalted runways started to melt from the heat.

Quoting Sv2008 (Reply 32):
And how would an airport like LHR cope with a runway reconstruction like that?

An airport could do it the way FRA renewed their runways 1-2 years ago. What they was that they would replace the runway step-by-step, replacing 180ft per night in a timeframe of 2300-0600, during which the few flights that actually took place could use the parallel runway for flight operations.

worldtraveler

Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:19 am

Your world is pretty limited unless you fly via Fedex.

The ATL runway is a complete rebuild and hasn't been done in 40 years. They waited for the 5th runway to open in order to do the work but it has to be done sometime.

ATL ATC is the best in the world. Remember that ATL consistently has been the top 2 or 3 airports in terms of operations for several years and has done it with fewer runways than ORD or DFW.

united319

Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:27 am

With ATL, if its not one thing its another. Dont get me wrong, I love ATL, its a wonderful airport. But my days here in MSY have been lengthened thanks to ATL. All of our inbound flights have been at least an hour late, and on top of that there is weather moving through the area. BTW, quick question is it true that DL has priority over FL for departures. We have four flights out of MSY while DL has 11, however all four of our flights are around the same time as DLs, DL seems to be arriving pretty much close to ontime, while we are late. Can somebody explain?
It's Time To Fly

IAHFLYR

Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:14 pm

Quoting United319 (Reply 35):
quick question is it true that DL has priority over FL for departures. We have four flights out of MSY while DL has 11, however all four of our flights are around the same time as DLs, DL seems to be arriving pretty much close to ontime, while we are late. Can somebody explain?

MMMMM, priority, I don't think "priority" would be something that someone would get over another unless an emergency or lifeguard situation existed, the FAA would sure frown on that type of operation!

Is it a scenario of when the flights have similar times is the proposed departure time the same? Are they flight planned for the same enroute time or arrival time because the timing of arrivals when delays are in place take the flight time/arrival time when putting folks into a 15 minute window for EDCT's etc., might want to check into that. If you say it is 59 minutes and someone else is doing a 54 minute flight that knocks the 54 minute aircraft into an earlier 15 minute window, there may not be the demand on the airport in that window as much as in the next 15 minute window, which then the 59 minute trip would get into that delay program.

KATL757

Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:36 pm

Quoting 73G (Reply 14):
For my money, they are hands down the best TRACON crew in the country.

checkmark 
Wherever you go, there you are.......

KATL757

Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:51 pm

Here is the article from the AJC.com regarding the closing of the runway.

Text of article for non-subscribed readers of the online paper:

Repairs to one of the old runways at Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport have brought back some of the flight delays that were supposed to be cured by the opening in May of the $1.28 billion fifth runway.

The 10,000-foot-long north departure runway, known as 8R-26L, was closed Friday and will undergo $90 million worth of improvements and repaving over the next 60 days, said airport spokeswoman Felicia Browder.

About 700 planes a day take off from the strip, which was last repaved in 1969.

"Normally, we have three runways for departures and two for arrivals," Browder said. "Now we have two for departures and two for arrivals, so there will be some delays."

The fifth runway is mainly used for landings and was built to relieve the increasing air traffic jam at Hartsfield.

With about 2,600 takeoffs and landings a day, Atlanta is the second-busiest airport in the nation behind O'Hare International Airport in Chicago.

Delta Air Lines spokesman Anthony Black said Monday that the runway closing, combined with weather and hazy skies that limit visibility and slow air traffic, caused flight delays ranging from 15 to 45 minutes, depending on the time of day.

Work on the runway has also increased traffic on and near Loop Road, Browder said. During the first two weeks truck traffic will be especially heavy, she said, as the old strip is removed and pieces are hauled to the airport's recycled material site on Sullivan Road.
Wherever you go, there you are.......

deltadawg

Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:18 am

This really is starting get on my nerves. Left ATL on 9/11 headed to ATW and waited on the ground for 1-1/2 hours before takeoff and coming back thru CVG we circled ATL I think 4 or 5 times before finally landing.

The good news is that the new marble floor is going in fast and furious on B as well as the baggage claim.

Came home last night and the construction crews were laying them down like crazy. The marble floor looks great - really lightens the whole atmosphere. Way better than the old, old, old, old brown brick tile they had down since it opened.

All the work may be somewhat of a headache but it is looking better.

Just wait till the new South Terminal in a couple of years - that is when the real fun will start - along with the new rental car facility - joy o joy!?
GO Dawgs, Sic' em, woof woof woof

united319

Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:35 am

Quoting IAHFLYR (Reply 36):

Quoting IAHFLYR (Reply 36):
is the proposed departure time the same? Are they flight planned for the same enroute time or arrival time

Yes they are in the same 15 minute time window. And the flying times are the same, they inflight times can change within a ten minute window at times. But overall it is pretty much the same.
It's Time To Fly

HT

Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:00 pm

some BOLD thinking:
Seeing the impacts (= delays) that the work to the runways bring, why do not do it the way FRA did ?
They managed to resurface a runway by closing it only during the night time, while it was fully operational during the daytime ...
Or does the work to ATL`s runway include heavier (= deeper) digging ?
-HT
Carpe diem ! Life is too short to waste your time ! Keep in mind, that today is the first day of the rest of your life !

RL757PVD

Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:24 pm

Quoting HT (Reply 41):
some BOLD thinking:
Seeing the impacts (= delays) that the work to the runways bring, why do not do it the way FRA did ?
They managed to resurface a runway by closing it only during the night time, while it was fully operational during the daytime ...
Or does the work to ATL`s runway include heavier (= deeper) digging ?
-HT

That can work for a regular rehab and that is how most major airports in the US do their rehabs, this one is more of a reconstruction so as you say it "goes a little deeper"

60 says 24 hrs/day is alot of work, if ti was closed only for 8 hrs at night, its take 6-8 months to complete.

smcmac32msn

Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:41 pm

I flew through ATL late morning/early afternoon on 9/11 and experienced no MAJOR delays on my flights. We landed on arrival to ATL 15 minutes early, then on the way out, were part of about a 10-15 plane line for take off... resulting in us landing in Pittsburgh about 5 min late. I didn't see a single delay on any board in ATL that I looked at with my 4 hour layover.
Hey Obama, keep the change! I want my dollar back.

srbmod

Fri Sep 15, 2006 7:02 am

Quoting RL757PVD (Reply 42):
60 says 24 hrs/day is alot of work, if ti was closed only for 8 hrs at night, its take 6-8 months to complete.

They did the same exact thing in the fall of 1999 when they rehabbed 9L/27R. Thankfully for them, the fall wasn't too rainy (only one small stretch of rain) and they got it completed ahead of schedule (They did it in 30 days).

73G

Fri Sep 15, 2006 7:14 am

I witnessed the construction and delays first-hand today (9/14) flying from ATL to BMI and TRS560. We departed the gate on time and made it as far as the north end of Ramp 4 before coming to a stop. The captain indicated we were number 18 for departure. ATL was in a west operation this morning so landings were being conducted on 26R, 27L, and 28 while departures were using 27R and 26R. Unfortunately, we were assigned 26R. I did get a very good view of the construction from my seat. Basically, large forklifts are scooping slabs of concrete up piece by piece and loading three pieces at a time to waiting dump trucks which take them to the south side of the airport and drop them off in stacks. They are working from east to west and appear to have 3-4,000 feet done already. Behind the concrete removal, grading is already beginning for the new surface. In the end, it was about a 25 minute taxi and we arrived in BMI just a few minutes behind schedule.

9V-SPJ

Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:01 am

I landed in ATL yesterday (13th Sep) with a 2hr delay, from IAD due to low ceilings at ATL. We had a really long downwind leg, must have been close to 50 miles due to the traffic and we landed on 8L. There were a huge line of dump trucks ready to get onto 8R!

9V-SPJ

worldtraveler

Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:20 am

ATL weather cleared up nicely this afternoon and the airport ran like clockwork...except for the airplanes that had been delayed earlier today.

hopefully the weather in the SE will be kind in the next 2 months.. there is no doubt the airport is moving as fast as possible to get the project done.