monorail

PHX Ops During 2001 World Series

Wed Sep 13, 2006 3:20 pm

I remember in the wake of 9/11 that no fly zones were instituted around all the major sporting events, like the Super Bowl XXXVI in New Orleans just a few months afterward. While I remember the mention of the utmost security for the games, I don't remember any of the specifics for the World Series games in PHX. How did Sky Harbor alter its operations during those games? With Bank One Ballpark only a few miles away and almost directly under the approach pattern for 8, I know options would be a limited in changing traffic flow. So how did they work things? The best I could speculate was that they just used 25R for takeoffs and banked them left after takeoff. How big was the no fly zone around BOB?
Playoffs? Don't talk about playoffs!

pgtravel

RE: PHX Ops During 2001 World Series

Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:59 am

Quoting Monorail (Thread starter):
So how did they work things? The best I could speculate was that they just used 25R for takeoffs and banked them left after takeoff. How big was the no fly zone around BOB?

They didn't change anything AFAIK. I flew EWR-PHX on HP the evening of game 7. When we were on final, the pilot came on and announced that those on the left side would have a spectacular view of the World Series underway. Unfortunately I was on the right, but pretty much everyone strained in their seatbelts to get a look. So they were landing to the east and there were no diversions around the stadium.

Unrelated to your specific question, the plane was electric with excitement that night since we were going between the land of the Yankees and the home of the Dbacks. When we got off the plane, the CSR standing at the podium with connecting gate information just kept repeating "0-0, top of the second." That was great.