ZRH
Topic Author

Again Delay For New FRA Runway

Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:41 pm

I don't know if it was discussed recently. But today I read an article in the Neue Zürcher Zeitung (one of the best newspapers in Europe), that the new runway at FRA will be delayed again. Probably only in 2009 or even 2010 the first aircrafts will land on the new north-west runway. This is really bad news for FRA. They are losing to CDG, AMS and MAD. In the article it is also mentioned that for many routes the new Gulf airports (Dubai etc.) will be a big competition for FRA. LH and Star Alliance won't like that. I am wondering if this will have effects on MUC and ZRH. On both airports are still enough slots available (despite the noise problems in Zurich).
(Unfortunately the article is not online)

[Edited 2006-09-13 15:44:19]

zvezda

RE: Again Delay For New FRA Runway

Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:56 pm

This is bad news indeed. FRA urgently needs both the new runway and the new terminal.

ushermittwoch

Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:11 pm

Very true. Although I really don't like FRA, it would be a shame to see them encounter even more problems.
And I don't see how MAD can become a viable option for most people in Central Europe. It's too far out of the way and the routes that do not go to South America are subpar to those of other big European airports, although I do have to admit that the new facilities there are great!
Where have all the tri-jets gone...

Beaucaire

Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:19 pm

It's German bureaucracy at it's best...
When you see the theater about the new airport in Berlin-which took nearly 10 years to decide...
The sickness of Germany (despite all the positive sides of the country..) is the hair-cutting thoroughness in which all decisions are taken.To send troops to Lebanon takes one month - I fear for any major conflict in Germany,since it would take the palianment three weeks to decide to deploy troops to defend the country !
I do understand LH and their anger-you can not simply let companies wait for major infrastructure projects so long- aircraft orders are depending slot's,space,hangar-room and flight-clearance policies including airspace-control.
Having a great coalition as government does seemingly not help to get things done faster...
Please respect animals - don't eat them...

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos