LIPZ
Topic Author
Posts: 483
Joined: Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:29 am

New U2 Routes

Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:04 pm

easyJet announces six new routes from Madrid

LONDON (AFX) - easyJet PLC, Europe's second-largest no-frills airline, has announced plans to launch six new routes from its new base at Madrid's Barajas airport.

Two of the new routes are domestic, to Oviedo and La Coruna, while four are international, to Lyon and Toulouse in France, Rome in Italy and Casablanca in Morocco.

The new services will start February next year. easyJet will initially base three aircraft at Barajas.

Spain is the airline's second largest market after the UK.

easyJet also announced a new route from Lyon to Rome.

http://www.forbes.com/markets/feeds/afx/2006/09/13/afx3012898.html
 
RJ100
Posts: 3895
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2000 1:37 am

RE: New U2 Routes

Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:12 pm

With what aircraft are they going to operate the LYS to CIA flights? They don't have aircraft based in CIA and LYS do they?

Regards,
RJ100
none
 
Joost
Posts: 1844
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2005 8:27 pm

RE: New U2 Routes

Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:26 am

Interesting new routes! I suppose they will announce more new routes shortly, as they will base 3 aircraft; these routes seem to be few for 3 aircraft.

Not surprised for the Lyon routes. I always considered Lyon to be the most underserved airport of Western Europe. It's one of the largest cities in France, but connections to the metropoles of Southern Europe (Rome, Madrid) were served by a couple of regional jets.

On their Spanish website they also mention a frequency increase to LGW SXF GVA MXP as a first phase of the base creation; the new destinations as a second phase.
 
Humberside
Posts: 3223
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2006 12:44 am

RE: New U2 Routes

Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:46 am

Quoting RJ100 (Reply 1):
With what aircraft are they going to operate the LYS to CIA flights? They don't have aircraft based in CIA and LYS do they?

Just a guess but as it has been announced with the MAD base, maybe MAD-Lyon-CIA or MAD-CIA-Lyon-CIA-MAD

Interesting to Casablanca as EZY's second African destination and I think EZY are Casablanca's first LCC
Visit the Air Humberside Website and Forum
 
planesarecool
Posts: 3211
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2001 12:37 am

RE: New U2 Routes

Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:03 am

Quoting Joost (Reply 2):
Interesting new routes! I suppose they will announce more new routes shortly, as they will base 3 aircraft; these routes seem to be few for 3 aircraft.

It could possibly mean that some existing flights to MAD will be converted to a MAD based aircraft. Similar to MXP, where 2 new daily LGW routes will be operated by MXP based aircraft alongside the two operated by LGW aircraft. However, there is nothing on the EZY website about the planned new routes, so as of yet we can't tell.
 
bambicruz
Posts: 289
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2001 12:35 pm

RE: New U2 Routes

Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:16 pm

Quoting Humberside (Reply 3):
Interesting to Casablanca as EZY's second African destination and I think EZY are Casablanca's first LCC

Well Not really, Jet4you (a moroccan LCC) has announced the following new routes with very interesting one-way fares (incl. Taxes and Airport charges!):

CMN-ORY : 48 Euros
CMN-Charleroi : 17 Euros
CMN-Liége : 18 Euros

www.jet4you.com

[Edited 2006-09-14 12:17:50]
F*** Me Im Famous!
 
N1120A
Posts: 26468
Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2003 5:40 pm

RE: New U2 Routes

Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:18 pm

Quoting Bambicruz (Reply 5):
Well Not really, Jet4you (a moroccan LCC) has announced the following new routes with very interesting one-way fares

I wouldn't exactly call them "Moroccan" given that they are part of the TUI brand.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss
 
sam1987
Posts: 550
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2005 11:27 pm

RE: New U2 Routes

Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:12 pm

Here's the official U2 press release:

http://www.easyjet.com/ES/Noticias/e...drid_el_mayor_centro_low_cost.html

I can't read Spanish so it doesn't mean much to me!
Next flights: LGW-LBA-LGW, LHR-SIN-SYD, SYD-BKK-LHR, LGW-GRO, GRO-CIA, CIA-MAD, MAD-LGW
 
Joost
Posts: 1844
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2005 8:27 pm

RE: New U2 Routes

Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:34 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 6):
I wouldn't exactly call them "Moroccan" given that they are part of the TUI brand.

Though technically, they are moroccon as 60% of the shares is held by Moroccon institutions, where TUI AG holds the other 40%.

http://www.jet4you.com/static/fr-FR/about/actionnariat.html
 
bambicruz
Posts: 289
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2001 12:35 pm

RE: New U2 Routes

Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:53 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 6):
I wouldn't exactly call them "Moroccan" given that they are part of the TUI brand.

As I understand it, TUI owns 40% of the shares and provides the expertise and part of the tourist feed, however, as Joost mentionned, 60% of the shares are owned by moroccan companies, and the Company's headquartered in casablanca.

Cheers
F*** Me Im Famous!
 
N1120A
Posts: 26468
Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2003 5:40 pm

RE: New U2 Routes

Fri Sep 15, 2006 2:38 am

Quoting Joost (Reply 8):
Though technically, they are moroccon as 60% of the shares is held by Moroccon institutions, where TUI AG holds the other 40%.



Quoting Bambicruz (Reply 9):
As I understand it, TUI owns 40% of the shares and provides the expertise and part of the tourist feed, however, as Joost mentionned, 60% of the shares are owned by moroccan companies, and the Company's headquartered in casablanca.

Question, is Marrache French or Moroccan?
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss
 
Joost
Posts: 1844
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2005 8:27 pm

RE: New U2 Routes

Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:59 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 10):

Question, is Marrache French or Moroccan?

At least he is born in Morocco, from http://www.eee-press.net/71/sp9.html

Quote:
E&E: Qui est Guy Marrache?
G.M: Je suis né à Essaouira, le 28 juin 1943, que j’ai prématurément quittée à l’âge de…15 jours pour rejoindre la ville d’Agadir.
 
Humberside
Posts: 3223
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2006 12:44 am

RE: New U2 Routes

Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:27 am

Quoting Bambicruz (Reply 5):
Well Not really, Jet4you (a moroccan LCC) has announced the following new routes with very interesting one-way fares (incl. Taxes and Airport charges!):

CMN-ORY : 48 Euros
CMN-Charleroi : 17 Euros
CMN-Liége : 18 Euros

Sorry, I wasn't aware of that. Thats great news, particulalrly for Liege. But how come they are serving both CRL and Liege? There very close together
Visit the Air Humberside Website and Forum