richm

Ryanair = The UK's Most Unprofessional Airline?

Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:52 am

I decided to check-out Ryanair.com. I stumbled across many unprofessional articles. How long has Ryanair been behaving in such way?

From a prospective customers point of view, it cannot look very good. You don't have to be a genius to see that their professionalism doesn't match that of practically every other airline in the UK that I can think of.

One may begin to question their standards in other areas too. - If they can't look half decent on their website, then what are they like behind the scenes?! - Although judging them from that alone would be rather ignorant, but one could only begin to wonder...

REF http://www.ryanair.com/site/EN/news....r=06&month=sep&story=reg-en-120906

In regards to that article, it clearly shows that they are only making bad business relations. They are effectively mocking BAA with their rather abrupt and blunt attitude towards them, this surely cannot be good from a business perspective.

What are your opinions and encounters?

I'd like to add that I have never flown with this airline and this post is based purely on what is written on their website. I am interested to hear other opinions on the matter.

Thanks.  

[Edited 2006-09-14 21:55:18]

shamrocka330

RE: Ryanair = The UK's Most Unprofessional Airline?

Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:01 am

Thats how they do business my friend and it works very well for them when you consider profits and passenger numbers. Look at their website, advertisments, press conferences or discussions (MOL on Prime Time the other night is a great example) - the same aggressive, over the top, arrogant but very effective points are made each time.

What matters to Ryanair is that the ordinary Joe Bloggs thinks that their flights are cheap and cheerful, they couldn't care what anyone else thinks.
aka thebigjd (member since Sept 2001)

NZ560

Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:09 am

Well in NZ a couple of nights ago. They had this program on them. It was an under cover investigation were 2 reporters trained as F/A's and worked with the airline for 5 and a half months. It was a real eye opener. One brief example is that they contract out their training and the trainer told them in the event of an emergency landing not to get the person sitting in A1 to help them. The reason being that there is a bit of metal that has something to do with the door and up on crash landing there was a high risk that this bit of metal would kill the person.  Wow!  Wow!  Wow!
-OJL RIP Also to the 7 onboard

chiad

Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:11 am

I have never flown them, but I understand that from travellers point of view Ryanair will leave you stranded without any support if they .. say ... cancel a flight. Sure they offer you the money back, but that's hardly enough for a hotel room.
I have also read some horrible stories about Ryanair and I understand that they have the department of Norwegian consumer rights on their back.
Also I've heard rumours that Ryanair takes care of their employees hardly any better than their customers. But maybe someone else here at A.net have more indepth information about this
Anyway .. being a customer I would be sure to never travel with Ryanair unless I was financially prepared for being stranded.
Ryanair have many satisfied customers simply because they got what they paid for and everything went without any incidents.
I think Ryanairs product is like an old computer: "If it starts to fail, then you are in serious trouble!"

Chiad

shamrocka330

Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:13 am

The link below is the Prime Time programme from Monday night I mentioned in my post above. Its an Irish general discussion programme and tonights topic is pilot fatigue in LCC - but particularly at Ryanair. Michael O' Leary and Evan Cullen (IALPA) are in the studio. I think this clip sums up Michael O Leary and will help you better understand why their website is like the way you describe.

http://dynamic.rte.ie/av/230-2172554.smil

What do you think?

cumulus

Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:14 am

Quoting RichM (Thread starter):
I'd like to add that I have never flown with this airline and this post is based purely on what is written on their website. I am interested to hear other opinions on the matter.

Anybody know where Pe@rson is? The resident in house FR spin doctor!!
What Goes Up Must Come Down, Hopefully In One Piece!

FlyKev
Crew

Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:15 am

Here comes the FR bashing  Wink

FR is not a high class, professional business airline like BA.
Therefore, many of their customers are of the "lower" forms of life, and all they want is cheap flights.
This genre of Sun readers don't understand how airport negotiation works, or care. Providing they can get to spain for £15, thats all they care about.
Any publicity is good publicity as well.
Some people hate MOL's style of publicty, others love it.
It obviously works, as FR are not only a profitable airline, but loads are high and satisfaction is very good.

Im not too bothered at how the guy running the airline acts personally. As long as my safety is not comprimised, then I am happy to fly. And at £15, I cannot complain.

Kev.
The white zone is for immediate loading and unloading of passengers only

shamrocka330

Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:17 am

Quoting NZ560 (Reply 2):
The reason being that there is a bit of metal that has something to do with the door and up on crash landing there was a high risk that this bit of metal would kill the person.

This was to do with their 737-200 fleet (which are now retired) and turned out to be untrue. Do you really think one of the most popular aircraft in the world would be allowed to fly if this was true?

djmatthews

Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:22 am

Ryanair is an Irish airline, not a UK airline.  Wink

Ryanair is great if everything goes to plan, you get what you pay for. They are cheap and get you from A-B (roughly). I will always defend Ryanair for helping to drive down the costs of air travel and actually creating demand. The world (well at least Europe) has become a lot smaller and cheap with the arrival of the LCC. How many people took 'short breaks' via aeroplane 10 - 15 years ago?

A lot of the bad press probably comes from other airlines who are jealous of its profitability, and passengers that have had a bad experience. Considering the amount of people that travel with Ryanair on a daily basis, I think they do rather well.

Considering the TV documentary was filmed over 5 months or so, I personally am not worried about the findings.

Joost

Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:25 am

Quoting FlyKev (Reply 6):
Therefore, many of their customers are of the "lower" forms of life, and all they want is cheap flights.

One out of every 3 passengers flies Ryanair for business, though.

And if you're flying from anywhere in Europe to places like Alicante or Ibiza, you will find the people you describe on every airline that flies there, including all charter airlines.

dhhornet

Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:28 am

Quoting Shamrocka330 (Reply 1):
Thats how they do business my friend and it works very well for them when you consider profits and passenger numbers.

yes  That is it -end of!
Like 'em or not. Bums on the seats count, and they must be getting it right. Whats the percentage of complaints to pax carried I wonder?

shamrocka330

Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:39 am

Quoting DHHornet (Reply 10):
Whats the percentage of complaints to pax carried I wonder?

Would you waste your time complaining?! If you were waiting on a bus and it was an hour late would you complain to the bus company?

No.

dhhornet

Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:46 am

Quoting Shamrocka330 (Reply 11):
Would you waste your time complaining?! If you were waiting on a bus and it was an hour late would you complain to the bus company?

True!

David L

RE: Ryanair = The UK's Most Unprofessional Airline

Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:58 am

Quoting Chiad (Reply 3):
I understand that from travellers point of view Ryanair will leave you stranded without any support if they .. say ... cancel a flight. Sure they offer you the money back, but that's hardly enough for a hotel room.

But isn't that the deal? It's a gamble. You can fly cheaply and take a chance that you aren't stranded by a cancellation or you can spend "real" money at a "real" airline and know you'll be looked after. It's no secret.

I'm sure FR would be the first to advise you that if you want guarantees then you shouldn't fly with FR. I prefer the guarantees so I fly with legacy airlines but that's no reason for me to tell others they shouldn't take cheap flights.  Smile

NZ560

Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:59 am

Quoting Shamrocka330 (Reply 7):
This was to do with their 737-200 fleet (which are now retired) and turned out to be untrue. Do you really think one of the most popular aircraft in the world would be allowed to fly if this was true?

Sorry. I should of put that in there but forgot. They stated that it was not true.  Smile
-OJL RIP Also to the 7 onboard

planesarecool

Fri Sep 15, 2006 7:42 am

Quoting Shamrocka330 (Reply 11):

Exactly. People complain that they don't get free refreshments, and that they have to scramble to get on the plane (although that is more the passengers' faults than anything else), but it's no different to getting on a rush hour bus or train - except for the fact that you WILL get a seat on FR.

Quoting Chiad (Reply 3):
I have never flown them, but I understand that from travellers point of view Ryanair will leave you stranded without any support if they .. say ... cancel a flight. Sure they offer you the money back, but that's hardly enough for a hotel room.

I turned up at Frimley railway station on Saturday night after an evening go-karting, and found that the last train back to Guildford had been cancelled. Did i get a hotel room? No. Did i get free alternative transport? No. In fact, I didn't even get a refund. You can say "Yeah but that's different," but it really isn't. Had a paid a full fare, my train ticket would have been around £12 return. If i pay £8 return on FR from London to Cork, why should i expect a hotel room, should my flight be cancelled?

I decided to check-out Ryanair.com. I stumbled across many unprofessional articles. How long has Ryanair been behaving in such way?

Jet2 have had a lot of 'unprofessional articles' on their site in the past, does that make them a bad airline?

A340600

Fri Sep 15, 2006 7:56 am

Oh dear, here we go again. Can we stop the FR posts, they've replaced NWDC9 threads! Do we honestly need another thread about FR's business model, it's getting rediculous. I don't like FR, never have done but instead I just book at ba.com or something and don't moan about it any more.

And if you're talking about unprofessional airlines I suggest you maybe take a look at Virgin Atlantic who have fabulous plastered everywhere and adverts that aren't exactly business-like. Then there are many others such as the Southwest girls who wore hotpants etc etc. It's just a thread picking at FR for nothing.

Sam
Despite the name I am a Boeing man through and through!

richm

Fri Sep 15, 2006 1:25 pm

Quoting A340600 (Reply 16):
It's just a thread picking at FR for nothing.

No it is not. There was no need to be rude. I posted this to hear other peoples opinions.

Quoting Planesarecool (Reply 15):
Jet2 have had a lot of 'unprofessional articles' on their site in the past, does that make them a bad airline?

I never stated, nor implied that they were a bad airline.

My intentions were NOT to to "bash" Ryanair. My first impressions (from looking at their website) were negative ones. I therefore decided to ask other members about it and now I have a different perspective on the matter.

Quoting A340600 (Reply 16):
Oh dear, here we go again.

I did search but lets face it, it's not very effective. I run a large discussion forum myself (unrelated to aviation), and we do not slaughter people to death when they decide to discuss matters that have been previously discussed. If people didn't re-discuss previous topics, there would hardly be anything to talk about. - People would miss out and not be able to post their thoughts as the previously discussed topics are likely to be archived. Therefore, in my opinion there is no real harm in re-disscusing a subject. After all, you my friend (A340600) did not have to read this thread if it didn't take your fancy. - I made the subject very clear and it was entirely your choice as to whether or not you participated in this discussion.

If you guys want to be rude, unwelcoming and insulting, then sure, flame me just for asking for opinions. Just remember that all you're doing is creating a bad atmosphere, which is certainly not in a.net's best interest.

As for the rest of you, I'd like to thank you for reading and taking the time to reply with your opinions on the subject.  

- RichM

[Edited 2006-09-15 06:29:58]

AeroWesty

Fri Sep 15, 2006 1:32 pm

Quoting RichM (Reply 17):
As for the rest of you, I'd like to thank you for reading and taking the time to reply with your opinions on the subject

I'm just curious, since your flag is from the UK, was this the first you'd heard of Ryanair, or the first that you thought about looking into flying with them?
International Homo of Mystery

ZKSUJ

Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:54 pm

I too saw the documentary NZ560 is talking about. Quite a few things that are real eye openers.

cumulus

Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:31 pm

It seems to me that there is an ongoing argument for and against FR. The same people pipe up with their opinions and the outcome is always the same i.e "Get what you pay for", "Brilliant business model", and "The airline has some of the best load factors in Europe" etc etc.

Perhaps it's time for A.Net to create a new Forum "LCC Forum" where everyone can argue this until the "cows come home"??
What Goes Up Must Come Down, Hopefully In One Piece!

Lumberton

Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:48 pm

Quoting Shamrocka330 (Reply 4):
I think this clip sums up Michael O Leary and will help you better understand why their website is like the way you describe.
What do you think?

Great clip! What do I think? I think that if the pilots union is going to challenge MOL to a knife fight then next time they better be represented by someone with a knife!
"When all is said and done, more will be said than done".

cedarjet

Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:58 pm

Quoting NZ560 (Reply 2):
The reason being that there is a bit of metal that has something to do with the door and up on crash landing there was a high risk that this bit of metal would kill the person.

While the footage is real, the information is wrong. Ryanair's 737s have the exact same interior as dozens, or even hundreds of other airlines. Do you think Boeing would build a plane where an emergency landing would impale a passenger in 1A? Completely ridiculous, and as someone knowledgable about aviation, I'm surprised you believed it. Planes go through a very thorough certification process. Believe that crappy documentary, you'll believe anything.

Quoting Chiad (Reply 3):

This has been covered, but once again, how much was the fare? You think you're entitled to a hotel room after buying a ticket for a tenner?
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

richardw

Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:58 pm

Book and fly on a 'free' Ryanair flight and then come back and tell us what you think.

AeroWesty

Fri Sep 15, 2006 7:08 pm

Quoting Cedarjet (Reply 22):
You think you're entitled to a hotel room after buying a ticket for a tenner?

I would, because you and I both know that the airline cannot possibly transport a planeload of passengers any distance for a tenner each, so let's not kid ourselves. A stranded passenger is a stranded passenger is a stranded passenger. If it's the airline's fault, then they should accommodate you while they sort things out.

Joost

Fri Sep 15, 2006 7:16 pm

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 24):
A stranded passenger is a stranded passenger is a stranded passenger. If it's the airline's fault, then they should accommodate you while they sort things out.

I do not agree. There is always a risk of cancellations that causes stranded passengers. Weather-, crew- or equipment-related cancellations happen to any carrier. Now carriers can calculate the risk of this (chance that it happens times the involved costs (hotel, etc) ) and include it in the ticket price.

However, not everybody needs this. VFR passengers and second home owners (almost 40% of Ryanairs passengers), usually have a house on both sides of the route, so if their flight is delayed for a day, they can return to their house and not have these hotel costs. These are pure savings. For people that stay in a hotel or appartment on one end of the route, they can choose to take the risk themselves or, and that actually is what Ryanair (and other LCCs) recommend, take seperate travel insurance, covering these risks. Why should this insurance be included in the ticket price. In the end, the customer pays. And all the people that have a continuous travel insurance, already pay for these risks on a montly basis.

You pay what you get for. And with Ryanair you can ultimately choose what you want to pay and what you don't want to pay.

AeroWesty

Fri Sep 15, 2006 7:18 pm

Quoting Joost (Reply 25):
I do not agree. There is always a risk of cancellations that causes stranded passengers. Weather-, crew- or equipment-related cancellations happen to any carrier.

I clearly stated "if it's the airline's fault." Hell, you even quoted that part of my post.

AlanUK

Fri Sep 15, 2006 7:22 pm

Quoting Lumberton (Reply 21):
Quoting Shamrocka330 (Reply 4):
I think this clip sums up Michael O Leary and will help you better understand why their website is like the way you describe.
What do you think?

Great clip! What do I think? I think that if the pilots union is going to challenge MOL to a knife fight then next time they better be represented by someone with a knife!

Wow! That was a very heated debate. If you don't want to see the report, that we all know! Skip to minute 20 for the debate. MOL is a vicious man, and I'm just glad I don't work for him...

Safe flying all!!!

Joost

Fri Sep 15, 2006 7:23 pm

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 26):
I clearly stated "if it's the airline's fault." Hell, you even quoted that part of my post.

That's why I included crew- and equipment related issues in my first paragraph. But it doesn't matter. Even if it is the airline's fault, there is a risk that they have to calculate and include in the ticket price. It does not change the meaning of my post at all. You get what you pay for.

Joost

Fri Sep 15, 2006 7:24 pm

By the way, if they cancel the flight due to airline-related reasons within their control, they are obliged by EU law to compensate each passenger for about 200 euros for that - enough to pay a hotel room for a night.

AeroWesty

Fri Sep 15, 2006 7:28 pm

Quoting Joost (Reply 28):
You get what you pay for.

If you read the rest of my post, clearly, a tenner is not going to cover the cost of transporting every passenger on the plane. The earlier implication was that just because a cheap price may have been paid by a few, they should not consider compensation when the airline screws up, which I believe is a submissive and incorrect position to take as a paying passenger with rights.

How exactly do you think airlines like Ryanair can sell tickets for a penny each? Do you really think people buy that much overpriced spring water onboard? Think about it for a moment.

As I said, all stranded passengers should be treated equally, regardless of the price paid, when the interruption is the airline's fault. I believe there are even EU rules that state when compensation is to be paid that airlines such as Ryanair must abide by.

PanHAM

Fri Sep 15, 2006 7:39 pm

Quoting Joost (Reply 29):
compensate each passenger for about 200 euros for that - enough to pay a hotel room for a night.

yes, but they don't do it and one night is most of the times not enough because when they screw up their schedule, they have little room on next day's flight to accomodate the stranded passengers.

I heard from people whose flight to Hahn was canx that they were offered flights to Charleroi but it was up to them to travel onwards. Nice, nothing except a one way car rental gets you there and MOL does not pay anything.

The answer is to avoid such airlines or, calculate extra expenses which would be kind of a Ryanair Roulette.