travellin'man

Easyjet Gouges Its Customers

Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:24 pm

Far be it for me to think that one rude attendant or ticket agent a bad airline make; however, EasyJet really takes the cake, in my opinion.

A week ago split up a LAX-VCE trip to have a stopover in London by flying United to LHR, and then Easyjet from LGW to VCE. I was a bit surprised by Easyjet's baggage policies, because they really took me for a ride. I had neglected to read the fine print that the baggage limit is 20 kg per customer, not per bag. Fine. A bit stingy, I think, but I bought the ticket, and accept that I am responsible for what I get myself into. What was a shock was when the check-in agent told me that she was charging me 5 pounds sterling per kg for each of my 15 kg of overweight. Given that I paid 85 pounds for the fare (which is decent, but by no means a steal compared to mainline fares I saw for a combined stopover ticket for the whole route), I was pretty upset; however, I put the nicest face on it I could (anger never gets you anywhere in these situations, but being nice often does), and appealed to both some sense of measure and decency, but got nowhere. Her only suggestion was to get rid of things I don't need, which was stultifying. I thought to myself: "That's a good idea! I knew I should have thrown the household garbage out at home as opposed to dragging it along to Venice to throw away there! Thanks for helping me lighten my load!"

There was a long line at the cashier, who when asked told me that, yes, things had been especially busy for them since the new security measures had taken effect, and no, he wouldn't reduce the fee. There was another long line to see a manager, if I wanted to try to do that (what was this, Soviet Russia, where people stopped waiting for hours in bread lines to go kill Breshnev, but gave up when they saw how long the line was?!). Incidentally the people in front of me told me that they got their ticket agent to reduce the fee for 18 kg of overweight(!!) down to 15 pounds. When I went back to pick up my boarding pass, I informed the check-in agent that I knew it was at her discretion to adjust the overweight fee, and that it showed poorly on her character, and the airline, that she decided to stiff me like that.

What was I left with was disgust at the fact that:

1) Easyjet places no limit on its overweight charges. I am perfectly used to paying overweight fees when I travel for jobs, and am schlepping lots of gear, and think that a fixed fee is reasonable. This is not.

2) Given the new English carry-on restrictions, I could only carry a camera in the cabin, and was forced to put a lot of things in my checked baggage, which of course added to my baggage weight. Again, the especially long line at the cashier showed me that I was not the only one who fell prey to this. One would think the airline would grant some reprieve to its travellers in light of the current anti-terror measures.

I think it is cynical of Easyjet to have policies that take advantage of circumstances like this. It is hardly a business model I admire, or plan to support in the future, and if Easyjet marketing people are trolling this site (as we a.netters constantly suspect airline exces of doing), I hope they take more note of a once and former customer's discontent than their indifferent staff in order to implement a more reasonable policy.

Fellow grunts and rumblings welcome. Cheers!
It is not enough to be rude; one must also be incorrect.

Bicoastal

RE: Easyjet Gouges Its Customers

Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:49 pm

You pretty much admit that it was your own ignorance of Easyjet's policies that caused your inconvenience and more money to be spent. So what's the point of your post? Buyer beware? Easyjet, Ryanair and all others have a business to run and a profit to make. You HAD a choice of airlines to fly. You apparently made the wrong one. If you're looking for sympathy, I have none for you.
Airliners.net has many forums. It has spell check and search functions. Use them before posting!

travellin'man

Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:57 pm

I wasn't looking for sympathy. I was merely protesting what I see to be a lack of a sense of measure and fairness, especially in light of the British anti- terror restrictions, which increase your baggage weight. It's unfair of Easyjet to exploit the situation like this, plain and simple.

RichardPrice

Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:15 pm

Quite simply - dont fly with them if you dont like their policies.

I personally cannot find anything wrong with Easyjets stance in your post from my point of view.

MDorBust

Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:20 pm

Wait a second... You, as in.. all by your lonesome, had 77lbs of luggage?

Beyond wondering what you can find to do with 77lbs of luggage... why didn't United charge you, since you are above their limit too?

Besides, did you really think a LCC was going to let you carry a ton of luggage around?
"I KICKED BURNING TERRORIST SO HARD IN BALLS THAT I TORE A TENDON" - Alex McIlveen

BMED

Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:25 pm

baggage limit is 20 kg per customer, not per bag

This is the same for BD when you fly economy so its not just the lcc.
Living the jetset life! No better way to be

travellin'man

Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:28 pm

I am a photographer, and was travelling for a job. I was carrying a certain measure of gear. United's limit, and most airlines' limit, is 20 kg, or 45ish lbs. per bag, two bags, or 100 lbs. per person. By most airlines' standards, I was well within my limits.

I am surprised that none of the people who respond think that 150 USD of overweight charges (on a 170 USD ticket) is excessive.

BMED

Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:30 pm

Like you said yourself it was in the terms and conditions. You see it happen all the time on the TV program so its nothing new. I've had friends pay more for excess baggage than the cost of their ticket.
Living the jetset life! No better way to be

vfw614

Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:31 pm

If you bought the ticket before the new terms & conditions came into force, you should have been charged according to the rules that applied to your contract. IIRC, the "one piece of luggage" rule is fairly new. If Easyjet had to change its luggage policy because of new rules imposed by the government, that's fine but they cannot let you pay for it if you were within the weight, but outside the piece limit. If your luggage had become overweight because you had to put carry-on into the hold luggage: IMHO, that is an interesting legal problem as far as your contract is concerned (no such limitation was in your contract, so you had to forego part of your contractual allowance of checked-in luggage because the government effectively limited the choice of what to take into the cabin).

If you had booked after the new government rules and the adjusted terms & conditions had come into force, I do not see point you are making other than the fact that the CSA did not do you a favour - which she could have done, but need not do (and probably should not do as those charges are an important source of revenue for easyJet and their CSA certainly are not encouraged to waive them).

geotrash

Sat Sep 16, 2006 12:13 am

I think the policy is excessive, and I think I would choose another airline next time if I had been snared by this particular policy. Whether he missed the fine print or not probably wouldn't change his opinion, because he was clear that he had no choice but to bring the equipment on the trip for the job. If many passengers are being inconvenienced and frustrated by a policy, then it is important for an airline (or any business) to either adjust the policy, or find another way to recoup the costs (if any) that does not anger or inconvenience customers.

If an entire line full of people are given an unpleasant surprise at the Easyjet counter on a regular basis (as evidenced by the cashier line), then there is reason to suspect that the baggage limit may be set unreasonably low, and adjustments need to be made elsewhere to accomodate reasonable exceptions without invoking "policy". Thus, more happy customers and repeat business.

Dave

[Edited 2006-09-15 17:16:10]

RichardPrice

Sat Sep 16, 2006 12:13 am

Quoting Travellin'man (Reply 6):
I am surprised that none of the people who respond think that 150 USD of overweight charges (on a 170 USD ticket) is excessive.

Theres a reason that 170USD ticket is 170USD.

GSM763

Sat Sep 16, 2006 12:24 am

As far as I'm aware U2s limit has been like that since the beginning in fact I thought it was the norm in Europe. As mentioned in the last post there is a reason the fares are cheap and that is that everything other than the trip from A-B is extra. LCCs in Europe have always been more ferociously low-cost than their US counterparts and that is what you are seeing here.

vfw614

Sat Sep 16, 2006 12:24 am

Why should 150 USD on a 170USD ticket be excessive ? It stays the same, whatever the fare is.

widebody

Sat Sep 16, 2006 12:42 am

Two points;

A) Ryanair are charging passengers for a checked bag which would usually have been hand luggage even if the ticket was purchased before the current requirements. Same everywhere.

B) I once paid a 260 euro overweight baggage charge with EI. No airline I've ever travelled with has had a limit? Why would they? Why encourage a family of lets say 5 people to check all their excess luggage under one person because its free after the limit is reached?! You're charged because it's costing the airline fuel to haul your baggage to your destination, a cost which they would have otherwise not have incurred if you had taken normal luggage.

icarus75

Sat Sep 16, 2006 12:49 am

Quoting Travellin'man (Reply 6):
United's limit, and most airlines' limit, is 20 kg, or 45ish lbs. per bag, two bags, or 100 lbs. per person.

Sorry if I'm wrong but I disagree with you!!! Most of airlines limit in economy is 20Kg per person, not per bag!!!!!!
Flying is amazing!

travellin'man

Sat Sep 16, 2006 2:03 am

Quoting Widebody (Reply 13):
I once paid a 260 euro overweight baggage charge with EI. No airline I've ever travelled with has had a limit? Why would they? Why encourage a family of lets say 5 people to check all their excess luggage under one person because its free after the limit is reached?! You're charged because it's costing the airline fuel to haul your baggage to your destination, a cost which they would have otherwise not have incurred if you had taken normal luggage.

Actually at least the US airlines, as far as I know, charge 25 USD for anything over 50 lbs. and under 75 lbs. per bag, and then another fixed fee (75$?) up to 100 lbs., above which they won't accept it as baggage. So there are limits there too that would prevent that scenario.

My comment on your overweight charges is that, without knowing how much you were schlepping, I think that it is unfair for you to be charged that.

My point stands that because there were several kilos (8-10?) that I could not carry into the cabin in my carry-on (because of British anti- terror measures), these went into my luggage, for which I was charged, which again I think is cynical. They could have instituted an ad hoc policy that temporarily increased the baggage allowance by a few kilos to allow for the fact that people would be putting more weight into their bags, but no. It's going on the plane anyway, cabin or hold, so I don't see how Sleazyjet is inconvenienced by this shift in passenger packing. It's opportunistic, and in the long run they lost me as a customer, someone who was curious to fly them, so perhaps it was not worth their while to charge me so stiffly, even if most people on this thread think it makes perfect sense to follow this policy.

rdwootty

Sat Sep 16, 2006 3:04 am

Please note BA has now the same policy 1 item 20kgs so even mainline costs the same in Europe. You US bods have no idea what is coming over the water to you.

JJJ

Sat Sep 16, 2006 3:12 am

Quoting Rdwootty (Reply 16):
Please note BA has now the same policy 1 item 20kgs so even mainline costs the same in Europe. You US bods have no idea what is coming over the water to you.

My experience with mainline companies is that often don't enforce this, or you can get a nice reduction once on the cashier.

Anyway I was this week at Zagreb and saw a sign on the BA check-in area saying they were now taking the excess baggage seriously, and would start charging you after just 3Kg. overweight.

infodesk

Sat Sep 16, 2006 3:15 am

I wouldn't call a limit of 20 Kgs per passenger stingy. That's pretty much the norm for economy.

And as for the "English carry on restrictions", easyjet isn't the only airline to be affected by all this. Have other airlines granted "special reprive"?

If you think easyjet have tight restrictions on hold baggage, try Ryanair!
"Do nothing in haste, look well to each step and from the beginning think what may be the end" - Edward Whymper

gilesdavies

Sat Sep 16, 2006 3:24 am

You have to look at this another way...

easyJet will only accept additional baggage if space and weight restictions on the aircraft permit...

easyJet regularly restrict the excess baggage to an absolute maximum on 32kg (inc your 20kg weight included in your ticket), and could have forced you to leave some behind.

Mexicana757

Sat Sep 16, 2006 3:45 am

Thats why you need to read the fine print when booking tickets on any airline. How much the weight limit is per person or bag. That way you can pack according to each airlines limit.

sevenair

Sat Sep 16, 2006 3:59 am

A similar thing happened to me flying NCL-BRS for my ATPL studies - my manuals took me up to 11kg for my case as it was. IT was going to got �36 for my excess 6 kgs, but the flight cost me just �5+�10 tax. Usually they are quite lapse with this on domestic flights, but not this time! I had to dump some thing off with a friend. Coming home, I flew LGW-MME on WW with 25kg + 10kg hand luggage, and they didnt bat an eyelid! Luckily with EZY, there was no hand luggage restrctions on weight. So i put as much as I could into my laptop and carryall! I guess the morale of my story is its the luck of the draw!

legoguy

Sat Sep 16, 2006 4:06 am

The part that I think is unfair is how the person at the desked reduced someone elses fee down to £15 even though they had 3kg more in extra than Travellin'man. And by the sounds of it, Travellin'man was not that pee'd off (or did not show it) so there's not really any reason why the person behind the desk did not reduce his fee. I find that quite unfair.
Can you say 'Beer Can' without sounding like a Jamaican saying 'Bacon'?

RichardPrice

Sat Sep 16, 2006 4:10 am

Quoting Legoguy (Reply 22):
The part that I think is unfair is how the person at the desked reduced someone elses fee down to £15 even though they had 3kg more in extra than Travellin'man. And by the sounds of it, Travellin'man was not that pee'd off (or did not show it) so there's not really any reason why the person behind the desk did not reduce his fee. I find that quite unfair.

Lifes not fair. Theres no entitlement to a reduction in costs.

HBJZA

Sat Sep 16, 2006 4:13 am

Ignorance again and again. If people would simply swallow their pride when they get the proof that they are wrong, the world would get way better. If it's a policy written on the carrier's rules and one bought the ticket, it means that the rules were known and accepted. END OF STORY

legoguy

Sat Sep 16, 2006 4:13 am

Quoting RichardPrice (Reply 23):
Lifes not fair. Theres no entitlement to a reduction in costs.

Yea, I know but I feel, if they reduce it for one person, then they should reduce it for another person. Especially if the original person who gets it lowered has more baggage.
Can you say 'Beer Can' without sounding like a Jamaican saying 'Bacon'?

cwldude

Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:02 am

Okay well for a start... you don't know that the family in front of you are telling the truth... for a second, if they are, it was probably because there was more than one of them! Granted unfair, but c'est la vie!

As said in this topic, you've pretty much admitted liability for it, if your luggage is overweight, you get charged, airlines can't afford to let people just walk on with as much weight as they like! I'm normally lucky with getting away with it, but I guess you're not, you just need to get over it and accept that you were in the wrong, whether you like it or not.
Thomson Airways - The UKs premier charter airline // now flown : BY -AA -AJ -AE -AT; OO -AX -AU -RA -BG; BRIG; OBYD

B787

Sat Sep 16, 2006 12:18 pm

I think it was blatant opportunism by any airline to charge people for excessive luggage that wasn't allowed by the authorities to be carried onboard. The luggage didn't add to the weight of the aircraft it was just moved from the cabin to the hold. The airlines should have just been happy that people were/are still willing to fly, and show a bit of grace and logic. After all it's in their interests.

Other then that, if you carrying to much weight then you should pay.

danild

Sat Sep 16, 2006 12:40 pm

I think that a 20Kgs. baggage limit is very low! when compared to the North American costums, which right now stands (depending on the airline) at 50 lbs per bag and 2 check bags per pax plus a carry on that shall not exceed the 40 lbs. If you do exceed the 50 lbs but do not go over 70-75 depending on the airline they will charge you $25-30 USD but if you do exceed the 70-75 they will charge you up to $100 USD on every 70-75 lbs or for an extra bag of up to 70-75 and that's why I recomend customers that if you are going to check a 120 lbs bag. might as well check one for 50 lbs and another one for 70 lbs and only pay $25 USD.

On the other hand AIRLINES ARE NOT A NOT FOR PROFIT ORGANISATION, THEY ARE A BUSINESS!!!! AND THEIR GOAL IS TO MAXIMIZE THEIR INCOME ON THEIR TRANSACTION WITH YOU.

And lets get real in Europe with all their low cost airlines you have a choice of very inexpensive tickets. You shouldn't be surprised that airlines charge you for almost anything else you want from them. You can't expect to receive all the goodies if you are not willing to pay for them.

Although I flew in July 2006 on Smartwings (low cost) from Prague to Venice with all of our luggage 1 BIG (around 60 lbs) checked bag each of us and did not get charged for extra baggage. I have used Portugalia as well with a lot of lugagge and never had any issues with excess baggage. Are all low cost airlines in europe the same when it comes to luggage???

The same is true here in North America, customers get surprised that they get charged for lunches, extra luggage, premier seats. But the customer is not willing to pay more so Airlines just have to get smarter and get more revenue in other ways.

I always recommend and make all of my customers to read the REMARKS or TERMS OF PURCHASE so that they don't get surprised and know what to expect. In the end IT IS ALL ABOUT EXPECTATIONS.

Cheers!

Daniel

[Edited 2006-09-16 05:45:33]

[Edited 2006-09-16 05:47:33]
Danild

AeroWesty

Sat Sep 16, 2006 12:44 pm

£5 per kilo is actually quite reasonable. If you were flying a full IATA carrier, the usual rate is 1% of the first class fare per kilo over 20 kilos, IIRC, if they aren't on the piece system. There are still a number of carriers who charge at this rate. I think you got off rather cheaply.
International Homo of Mystery

travellin'man

Sat Sep 16, 2006 1:03 pm

Quoting B787 (Reply 27):
I think it was blatant opportunism by any airline to charge people for excessive luggage that wasn't allowed by the authorities to be carried onboard. The luggage didn't add to the weight of the aircraft it was just moved from the cabin to the hold. The airlines should have just been happy that people were/are still willing to fly, and show a bit of grace and logic. After all it's in their interests.

Thanks. This point seems to have gotten lost, and I'm surprised more people haven't seconded it.

FAGC

Sat Sep 16, 2006 2:00 pm

Apart from the fact that you have not checked what it is you may or may not carry with you, when are you guys going to stop taking it out on the desk agents

Quote:
I informed the check-in agent that I knew it was at her discretion to adjust the overweight fee, and that it showed poorly on her character, and the airline, that she decided to stiff me like that.

It is not at their discretion, they are only doing their job according to policies laid down by the respective airlines. It's like berating the staff on the check-out at a supermarket for the prices charged in the store - you want them to 'slip' a few items through??? Nothing to do with her character.

sparkingwave

Sat Sep 16, 2006 2:43 pm

It's too bad you were treated like that, but technically, unless Easyjet was violating a law or their own contract, they can do whatever they like, whenever they want, to whoever they like, whether they do it to just you or several other passengers. It's up to you to decide whether you want to fly them again or not. You're simply wrong to expect anything more from an LCC.

You did send a letter of complaint to Easyjet first, right? Venting on a.net without letting Easyjet know your frustrations first is just plain copping out.

In the end, it's a case of caveat emptor (let the buyer beware).

SparkingWave ~~~
Flights to the moon and all major space stations. At Pan Am, the sky is no longer the limit!

AeroWesty

Sat Sep 16, 2006 3:21 pm

Quoting Travellin'man (Reply 30):
This point seems to have gotten lost, and I'm surprised more people haven't seconded it.

But you flew a month after the new carry-on regulations took effect, so you should have been aware that you were going to go over the limit.

If effect you're saying that easyJet should have increased the hold luggage allotment by 10 kilos or so for everyone, because they would have carried the luggage in the cabin anyway. Well they didn't, and you could have informed yourself about it before you arrived at the airport, but instead you tried to duke it out with the check-in staff and the supervisor to have them change the rules on the fly. I believe that's why more people didn't sympathize with your situation.
International Homo of Mystery

aeroplan73

Sat Sep 16, 2006 4:15 pm

I guess you get what you pay for. The fee is definately a tough pill to swallow, but there is usally some catch with LCC's.

I wonder when airlines will start weighing passengers, and charge people extra if over a certain limit.
I remember, the choices were chicken or fish. I had the lasagna.

Bicoastal

Sat Sep 16, 2006 4:29 pm

Quoting B787 (Reply 27):
The luggage didn't add to the weight of the aircraft it was just moved from the cabin to the hold

Not on Air Canada. They have a weight limit for carry-ons, too. Nothing over 20 lbs, I believe, is allowed on board. Smart move. I wish more airlines would limit the number, size and weight of carry-on luggage.
Airliners.net has many forums. It has spell check and search functions. Use them before posting!

Col220

Sat Sep 16, 2006 5:30 pm

I learned this long time ago:

If you want to get a cheap flight you have to take everything in account. The price of the ticket is not everything, you have to check the luggage rules, for example you want to travel from Europe to South America and you need to take for some reason 40kg with you. So you can choose between a direct flight about 800€, 20kg free luggage and a flight via the US for 1000€ with Piece Concept (2x23kg) both return tickets. The second is cheaper. 20kg overweight can cost you maybe 400€ for each direction.

But at easy jet you have a good chance to avoid extra fees, because they have the concept of free kilos on hand-luggage (two pieces allowed). Once I flew with them and had 25kg luggage and should pay 35€, but I had an extra
bag so I took 5kg out of my luggage and took it as hand-luggage. It was really heavy because I had already one heavy piece of hand-luggage, but I saved 35€.

But you have also take in account traveling on ground. Maybe you pay for a flight with Ryanair only 0.01€ + 35€ Tax + 5€ Credit card fee + 3.50€ for one piece of luggage (43.51€ one-way so far) but you have to organize a trip to the Airport in nowhere (needs time and money) and pay the Stanstead-express (35GBP), so it is cheaper to fly BA to Heathrow with a return ticket of 99€ (all incl.) and use the much cheaper subway. [I don't know the exact prices it's only an example]

Col220

soups

Sat Sep 16, 2006 6:15 pm

next time book an airline from LHR to VCE and have UA to tagg the bag all the way to vce
Next destinations, Suarabaya, beirut, paris, Accra

BA767s

Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:06 pm

I used to work on check in for easyJet, The most excess I ever charged in one go was £575 and they didnt have a problem so why do you!?!?! You agree to the T&C's you agree to pay the price.

J
Come on, let's fly!

zruda

Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:11 pm

Quoting Danild (Reply 28):

Well, sure not all lowcost are like Smartwings, thank god. We dont charge excess baggage on Smartwings flight, because their employees are just not willing to come and collect the money. I guess they are too lazy, dont need the money or just dont get anything from collecting them. Its good for passengers though.
I also work for Sky Europe which are very strict and charge every kilogram above 22 kg of luggage for 7 euro.
there is no coincidence

danild

Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:27 pm

Quoting Zruda (Reply 39):
Well, sure not all lowcost are like Smartwings, thank god. We dont charge excess baggage on Smartwings flight, because their employees are just not willing to come and collect the money. I guess they are too lazy, dont need the money or just dont get anything from collecting them. Its good for passengers though.
I also work for Sky Europe which are very strict and charge every kilogram above 22 kg of luggage for 7 euro.

I actually did like Smartwings... The staff was VERY FRIENDLY the planes clean and nice and price was excellent one thing I have never seen before is that on the PRG-VCE flight there was some kind of storm over the mountains and the whole time we were inside clouds the flight encountered some very heavy turbulence and the pilot did not for one second try to change altitude or speed. I have seen before that when there is some heave turbulence usually slowing down makes it more comfortable for PAX but smart wings didn't. Sure we were on time but We wanted to kiss the ground LOL.... (or the water since it was Venice)

I did love Smartwings though.
Danild

zruda

Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:38 pm

Well Danild, tell about you love for the smartwings to the people, which got to the apt just to find their flight is cancelled, with no previous notice. And it happens every weeks. Plus regular delays plus no customer service, well, I actually dont like them for how they behave.
As for the pilots, there are some former army and acrobatics pilots among QS's employees, so they sometime performe nice rides :]
there is no coincidence

airways1

Sat Sep 16, 2006 11:00 pm

Quoting Travellin'man (Reply 30):
Quoting B787 (Reply 27):

Thanks. This point seems to have gotten lost, and I'm surprised more people haven't seconded it.

I disagree. I don't think you can really call it opportunism because, although the baggage restrictions may have advantaged Easyjet, their baggage policy was in place before the restrictions came into effect. They didn't change anything to take extra advantage of the situation. And besided, on balance, I'm sure Easyjet lost a lot more as a result of the whole security issue than they made from charging for excess bagage.

Now I'm not sure about this, but I suspect the 8-10kg handbaggage you had would have exceeded their standard carry-on allowance anyway.

vv701

Sat Sep 16, 2006 11:04 pm

Quoting B787 (Reply 27):
I think it was blatant opportunism by any airline to charge people for excessive luggage that wasn't allowed by the authorities to be carried onboard. The luggage didn't add to the weight of the aircraft it was just moved from the cabin to the hold.

But the baggage had to be checked, loaded and unloaded. All of this takes time and time is money.

LCCs encourage you to take minimum luggage and to check even less through their pricing structure. It is unfortunate that, for the passenger's safety, the government has taken steps that will increase the costs of those flying with luggage and increase the LCC's costs for checking, loading and unloading luggage. But the LCC is a business and since the tax payer is not going to and should not pay these additional costs the passenger has to. And that seems to be the fairest and most appropriate solution to me.

B787

Sun Sep 17, 2006 6:56 am

Quoting Bicoastal (Reply 35):
Not on Air Canada. They have a weight limit for carry-ons, too. Nothing over 20 lbs, I believe, is allowed on board. Smart move. I wish more airlines would limit the number, size and weight of carry-on luggage.

Yes, but I'm talking about if you aren't allowed to take that luggage in the cabin in the first place, and if that non allowed cabin baggage ends up pushing you over your allowance.

Quoting VV701 (Reply 43):
But the baggage had to be checked, loaded and unloaded. All of this takes time and time is money.

Fair point and I'm not arguing that the airlines rules aren't fair or paracticle. All I'm saying in this instance the rules didn't have to be enforced or at least so rigorously. The airlines keep throwing their hands up and saying it's the Governments policies not ours so we shouldn't have to make any concessions, well that just doesn't cut it with Joe Smith the consumer. It's in the airlines interests that people continue to fly and the Governments polices work to ensure that. Don't we all want a safe airline industry? The airlines, their shareholders, the employees, the customers and the economy in general? Yes we do and when airlines fail to see that all that infrastructure and policy exists for their businesses and that the customer pays the bills then we're all in trouble.

Think about it for a moment. Making people fork out an extra 5, 10 15, 20 pounds for 'excess luggage' after they've just endured a long flight, or hour plus wait in the queue or just the commute to the airport then they're going to be upset. They're tired, hungry, thirsty, and probably on edge and this just tips them over.

Contrast that with "Good Morning Mr Smith. Oh, I see you're 5 kilos over the limit, normally I'd have to charge you 25 pounds for that but unlike the other airlines, our managment has decided to waive that charge for now because we understand how the current situation impacts you and we want to help however we can" Now just as that passenger smiles for the first time that day chuck in "Lucky you didn't fly airline XXX because they'd make you pay!" Imagine how that passenger is going to feel walking away on and while they endure more pain going through security. Just imagine.

You can't buy that sort of customer experience. You'll have them for life, sure you'll have to be competitive but you won't have to be the cheapest. All marketing types know the best form of advertising is word of mouth so combine that experience with the next time that passenger is at the pub, work function, dinner party, airline forum  Smile etc, I'm sure you get my point.

What the airlines need right now is Vvsionaires at all levels. It's all gotten textbook 101 and black and white and if that's what you want then expect customers to get upset in abnormal circumstances.

I've said my piece, I need a nap now.

A340600

Sun Sep 17, 2006 8:34 am

Quote:
I informed the check-in agent that I knew it was at her discretion to adjust the overweight fee, and that it showed poorly on her character, and the airline, that she decided to stiff me like that.

How rude. I really don't see the point in this post. The fact is, in the first place it wasn't even easyJet who checked you in. Although at LGW they have the uniform they are actually contracted by Servisair. Next, she merely followed the rules she was supposed to, I don't see why you felt that you were special enough to not have to pay the charges. Next, you should have read the T&C's, you ticked the box, it's your fault. Airlines have had to lose enough money as it is through these recent secuitry measures.

Quoting Legoguy (Reply 22):
Travellin'man was not that pee'd off (or did not show it)

Well he was unneccesarily rude to the check-in agent for absolutely no reason. It didn't show poorly on the airline, it showed very well actually, she was doing her job.
Despite the name I am a Boeing man through and through!