leelaw

Nok Air Brings New Meaning To "Check-In Girls"

Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:58 pm

Thai low-cost carrier Nok Air is expanding its fleet Boeing 737-400s and its fleet of scantily-dressed “PDA girls...”

http://www.flightglobal.com/Articles...ngs+new+meaning+to+'check-in.html
Lex Ancilla Justitiae

jfk777

RE: Nok Air Brings New Meaning To "Check-In Girls"

Sat Sep 16, 2006 4:41 am

Hey in Asia things are done this way. Even SIA makes there F/A retire at 35 or when they marry. You know that ole saying," Singapore Girl you are a great way to fly".

crownvic

Sat Sep 16, 2006 2:18 pm

YUMMY!!! Well 3 out of 4, anyway...

777ER
Crew

Sat Sep 16, 2006 4:11 pm

$4 per day to employee those girls, yikes
Head Forum Moderator
moderators@airliners.net for all Moderator contact

Ejazz

Sat Sep 16, 2006 4:37 pm

SIA Dollies do not need to retire when they marry and at present a female CSS, IFSS can retire at 45 or it might even be later now. There is even a scheme called flying mothers for pregnant crew to return to flying after having given birth.

As for SIA being a great way to fly that all depends on the crew on the day like most other good Airlines. Nothing special anymore in my opinion.

[Edited 2006-09-16 09:42:00]
Etihad Girl, You're a great way to fly.

zvezda

Sat Sep 16, 2006 4:42 pm

Quoting Jfk777 (Reply 1):
Even SIA makes there F/A retire at 35 or when they marry.

That was raised to 40 with the exception of IFSS. A few SQ stewardesses have suggested to me that raising the age limit to 40 has compromised safety.

baylorairbear

Sat Sep 16, 2006 7:27 pm

Quoting Crownvic (Reply 3):
YUMMY!!! Well 3 out of 4, anyway...

Which three?

BAB
I'm just skipping stones...

NewYorkCityBoi

Sat Sep 16, 2006 7:38 pm

I think people in the US would love to fly more if they do sth like this!.. You know just like Abercrombie Model!

We had a lot of discussion here comparing airlines in the US and Asia... serving meals in a 45 mins flights... bla bla bla....This is another thing! Having young, attractive F/A really make the flight pleasant and enjoyable. It makes sense to most people, just have to admit it!

avroarrow

Sat Sep 16, 2006 7:56 pm

Well the short shorts concept didn't end up working that well for Hooters Air, something to do with alienating half of the potential market. (North American women seem to have an aversion to female exploitation, except when it comes to music and movies.) While I would happily be serviced by any one of those girls I can also see how they might make some people uncomfortable, at least in North America.
Give me a mile of road and I can take you a mile. Give me a mile of runway and I can show you the world.

dairbus

Sat Sep 16, 2006 8:03 pm

Quoting Zvezda (Reply 6):
That was raised to 40 with the exception of IFSS. A few SQ stewardesses have suggested to me that raising the age limit to 40 has compromised safety.

Then the U.S. must have some of the unsafest airlines around.
RE: 82 Year Old NWA Flight Attendant (by AADC10 Sep 6 2006 in Civil Aviation)
"I love mankind. It's people I can't stand." - Charles Shultz

MSYtristar

Sat Sep 16, 2006 8:14 pm

Many people in the U.S are prudes it seems when it comes to this sort of thing. The folks in Europe and Asia get it right, apparently.

I would have liked to have seen Hooters Air really expand and fly into small conservative towns and listen to the public outcry.  Smile

NewYorkCityBoi

Sat Sep 16, 2006 9:32 pm

Quoting AvroArrow (Reply 8):
(North American women seem to have an aversion to female exploitation, except when it comes to music and movies.) While I would happily be serviced by any one of those girls I can also see how they might make some people uncomfortable, at least in North America.

I believe that's true! (about this culture in north america)... But it's also true that when it comes to service, people (both male and female) like to see beautiful things, products, etc.

I feel like north america women just try to deny this fact. When you go to the restaurant, you want to see hot waiter/waitress. Go shopping, want to see hot models working in the store. It's so simple and make sense. Who wants to see old flight attendent? It's not fair for smart but not so attractive lady, but what can you do, that's how it works. Why not admit it like in asia.

I can also see how they might make some people uncomfortable

how? I think having a grandma F/A would make many people uncomfortable.

dutchjet

Sat Sep 16, 2006 9:39 pm

Come on, guys, you really dont think that having airline employees running around in sexy outfits is a good thing, do you? Do you really want Southwest to put their F/As back in hot pants? And you really think that the ""Fly Cindy, Fly National"" campaign should now be used by another airline? And should CO F/As get out their uniforms with micro mini skirts so that ""they can really move their tail for you??"" This is a giant step backward.....its insulting to women and it makes many pax worldwide uncomfortable. Even SQ is trying to bring their Singapore girls into the 21st century.

I, for one, really thought that they days of convincing horny business men to fly with a certain airline by using schemes like this were over, I guess not. F/As are professionals that are work hard, lets treat them with the respect that they deserve. And who really cares if a F/A is 25 or 50.....many of the older F/As are among those that truly understand what the words ""customer service"" really mean and are a pleasure to chat with as they truly have seen it all. Get a life.......do you really think that the sexy F/A is going to sleep with you after the flight? He or she is probably going home to his/her husband, wife or partner just as soon as the flight lands!

wukka

Sat Sep 16, 2006 9:55 pm

Quoting Dutchjet (Reply 12):
many of the older F/As are among those that truly understand what the words ""customer service"" really mean and are a pleasure to chat with as they truly have seen it all.

Yeah... because they used to wear hot-pants and microskirts!  Big grin
We can agree to disagree.

blueflyer

Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:15 pm

Quoting NewYorkCityBoi (Reply 11):
When you go to the restaurant, you want to see hot waiter/waitress. Go shopping, want to see hot models working in the store. It's so simple and make sense.

Oh grow up. It isn't so simple and it doesn't make sense. For one thing, most people (and especially most business flyers) will still take competency over looks. How quickly are you going to get bored looking at some eye candy who is simply too incompetent/untrained to assist you with your legitimate query ?

For another, the supply of "hot models" isn't infitine and the ones that are available would rather avoid working the night shift at your local McDonald's if they could. These "hot models" already work in restaurants and stores, where they are highly paid both for their looks and their work skills, which means they sell expensive items in places like Miami Beach and Hollywood, so if you haven't met them, you're hanging out with the wrong crowd.

Quoting MSYtristar (Reply 10):
Many people in the U.S are prudes it seems when it comes to this sort of thing.

You are entirely right, IMHO, but that doesn't mean the less prudes among us prefer eye candy over competency, it simply means they have a greater... tolerance for "this sort of thing."

He or she is probably going home to his/her husband, wife or partner just as soon as the flight lands!

And telling him/her everything about the horrible asshole she had to fake a smile for during her entire flight...

Quoting NewYorkCityBoi (Reply 7):
I think people in the US would love to fly more if they do sth like this!.. You know just like Abercrombie Model!

You mean like on Ecstasky Air ? That didn't fly very long. After all, to quote an article in Newsweek, "after the first lap dance, what is there to talk about with a stripper for the rest of the flight?"
Recep Tayyip Erdoğan has no clothes.

zvezda

Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:19 pm

And who really cares if a F/A is 25 or 50.

It's not the 50 year-olds who are the serious problem. The serious problem is some FAs are old enough to have 50 year-old grandchildren. I wish I were joking, but I'm not.

drexotica

Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:21 pm

Quoting BlueFlyer (Reply 14):
You mean like on Ecstasky Air ? That didn't fly very long. After all, to quote an article in Newsweek, "after the first lap dance, what is there to talk about with a stripper for the rest of the flight?"

Easy. What about details concerning the next lap dance.

Only one lap dance?!

N707PA - Best looking commercial aircraft ever.

B777-700

Sat Sep 16, 2006 11:36 pm

When you go to the restaurant, you want to see hot waiter/waitress.

No, most people want good food and good service. If I wanna see hot girls, I'll go to the beach or a concert.

Who wants to see old flight attendent?

It's not fair for smart but not so attractive lady, but what can you do, that's how it works.

Yes, let's give attractive people everything. They don't have enuff breaks in life as it is. I mean, intelligence, competency, and talent are over rated any way  Yeah sure
If you don't chew Big Red, then @#$% you.

MD11Engineer

Sat Sep 16, 2006 11:53 pm

He or she is probably going home to his/her husband, wife or partner just as soon as the flight lands!

And telling him/her everything about the horrible asshole she had to fake a smile for during her entire flight...

I've heard about one female LH F/A who had her toilet wallpapered. with calling cards handed to her by horny business class passengers...

I like to look at pretty girls as much as anyone else, but in case of an emergency or unruly passengers I'd rather have 50 year old female purser who can turn out like a sergeant major (sorry, Peps...  Wink ) than an 20 year old without any natural authority.

Jan

[Edited 2006-09-16 16:54:37]
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

comorin

Sun Sep 17, 2006 6:09 am

Are the Nok Air stewardesses called 'Nokkies' by any chance? And the trainees called "Little Nokkies" ?

scratchchin 

acidradio
Crew

Sun Sep 17, 2006 6:33 pm

If the US airlines tried this kind of thing, well, OK it just wouldn't work. Girls like that don't exist in the US airlines  Wink
Ich haben zwei Platzspielen und ein Microphone

NewYorkCityBoi

Sun Sep 17, 2006 7:58 pm

Oh grow up. It isn't so simple and it doesn't make sense.

How quickly are you going to get bored looking at some eye candy

Speak for yourself!.. At least I know it works in Thailand and New York.... (I dont know the rest of America) We are men, wanna see attractive energetic girls over a weak grandma.... nothing more simple than that!

NewYorkCityBoi

Sun Sep 17, 2006 8:27 pm

she had to fake a smile for during her entire flight...

Fake smile??? Thailand is a land of smile!, we dont have fake smile (I know there are good/bad people everywhere in the world), Thai people are friendly and realistic about life!

its insulting to women

What's wrong off dressing sexy? Is that too conservative to think so? It's not an insulting.... As long as they can do their job perfectly (I bet they do better than old women) and make many people happy at the same time. I am not biased cuz I am gay, but I think by thinking that sexy women are stupid and can't do their job as good is an insulting.

Just go try flying TG, MH, SQ, CX, and come back to fly AA, CO, NW, UA, DL and you would understand what good service is...

NewYorkCityBoi

Sun Sep 17, 2006 8:49 pm

How quickly are you going to get bored looking at some eye candy who is simply too incompetent/untrained to assist you with your legitimate query ?

What makes you conclude that young girls are incompetent/untrained as old lady. "Most"(not all) younger girls are more energetic and learn things faster. All airlines must train F/A before they put them on the flights....

baylorairbear

Sun Sep 17, 2006 8:55 pm

Well the short shorts concept didn't end up working that well for Hooters Air, something to do with alienating half of the potential market. (North American women seem to have an aversion to female exploitation, except when it comes to music and movies.) While I would happily be serviced by any one of those girls I can also see how they might make some people uncomfortable, at least in North America.

That half of the market doesn't like seeing it in person because it only reinforces their own petty insecurities. If they'd get off their asses and lose a few million pounds, we could again have hotpants on the plane and hot sex at home.

BAB
I'm just skipping stones...

manni

Sun Sep 17, 2006 8:59 pm

Quoting NewYorkCityBoi (Reply 22):

What's wrong off dressing sexy? Is that too conservative to think so? It's not an insulting....

Indeed, there's nothing insulting about a woman dressing sexy. What's insulting for them are men who can't look at a 'sexy' women without calling them names or having pervert toughts. Event girls (also reffered to as Race Queens), as girls in these outfits are often called, are a regular sight in many Asian countries. They're left alone, are no subject to slander and insult and are not looked down upon. It IS possible in Asia for girls to be dressed 'sexy' without putting themselfes at risk.
SUPPORT THE LEBANESE CIVILIANS

EBGflyer

Sun Sep 17, 2006 9:13 pm

Aren't there enough skimpy dressed girls in Thailand? - don't really need them at check-in.

I'd prefer if Nok Air accepted international credit cards when booking a ticket online. It would be a little easier getting a cheap ticket unless you try the rival airlines like Bangkok Airways or (Thai) Air Asia (I'd stay away from Orient Thai).

A way of getting around their credit card policy is to pay your ticket at your (thai) local 7-eleven after getting your confirmation code on an sms. This is of course difficult if you live outside Thailand!
Future flights: CPH-BOS; CPH-SVG; CPH-PVG-HKG-MNL-DVO; CPH-CDG; CPH-NRT; CPH-MIA; CPH-PVG

NewYorkCityBoi

Sun Sep 17, 2006 9:40 pm

Quoting Manni (Reply 25):
Indeed, there's nothing insulting about a woman dressing sexy. What's insulting for them are men who can't look at a 'sexy' women without calling them names or having pervert toughts.

It's true, but if you re talking about "Thailand", Thai people dont think like that. Even pervert thoughts are not an insulting, as long as it's just a fantasy, not harming other people. It's perfectly decent and healthy. Thai people are very openmind. That's why Thailand is the most liberal place in Asia.

B777-700

Sun Sep 17, 2006 11:45 pm

Quoting NewYorkCityBoi (Reply 21):
We are men, wanna see attractive energetic girls over a weak grandma.... nothing more simple than that!

No, dude. Most people don't care. Get over yourself.

AirbusA6

Mon Sep 18, 2006 1:36 am

Don't forget that the best looking girls are always used for these promos. For example, the girls on several Air Asia flights I've been on didn't live up the visual attractiveness of the girls in their adverts!

It is an Asian theme this, on internal Chinese flights, all the hostesses I saw were young and pretty. I guess people expect it.
it's the bus to stansted (now renamed National Express a6 to ruin my username)

tundra767

Mon Sep 18, 2006 1:45 am

HOT!!!!!! Now why can't we have this here!!!!!!

B777-700

Mon Sep 18, 2006 1:49 am

Quoting Tundra767 (Reply 30):
HOT!!!!!! Now why can't we have this here!!!!!!

Because our society isn't superficial and shallow.

TVNWZ

Mon Sep 18, 2006 1:49 am

Oh grow up. It isn't so simple and it doesn't make sense. For one thing, most people (and especially most business flyers) will still take competency over looks.

Actually, there have been studies that show...all things being equal...people tend to pick the attractive person. Whether it is buying something, being told what to do, or just stopping for someone in distress, you tend to default to the good looking individual and do what they say/ask.

The opposite is also true, you tend to ignore an unattractive person. All NOK is doing is exploiting our already ingrained tendencies. This also applies for both men and women, though, men more than women but not by much.

777236ER

Mon Sep 18, 2006 2:50 am

Quoting TVNWZ (Reply 32):
All NOK is doing is exploiting our already ingrained tendencies.

No, all they're doing is exploiting females in a sexist fashion that's (rightly) illegal in the West.
Your bone's got a little machine

supa7E7

Mon Sep 18, 2006 3:31 am

Quoting 777236ER (Reply 33):
No, all they're doing is exploiting females in a sexist fashion that's (rightly) illegal in the West.

You are reading far more into the photo than most people here.  Smile

It's just a harmless bit of fun... probably...

Here in the USA attractive girls are commonly hired as drug sales representatives, TV news "journalists" , Verizon sales girls ("V-team") etc. There is a place for it. To ban the hiring of cute girls would mess up the fashion industry quite a lot don't you think...
"Who's to say spaceships aren't fine art?" - Phil Lesh

TVNWZ

Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:12 am

Quoting 777236ER (Reply 33):

Illegal? Then all these people are going to jail....

Quoting Supa7E7 (Reply 34):
Here in the USA attractive girls are commonly hired as drug sales representatives, TV news "journalists" , Verizon sales girls ("V-team") etc. There is a place for it. To ban the hiring of cute girls would mess up the fashion industry quite a lot don't you think...

....and those are just a few.

I believe it was Dateline (but could have been some other news magazine) that had two types of people standing, distressed, by the side of the road with a flat tire. the findings: both men and women stopped to help the attractive individuals no matter if they were male or female. Nobody stopped for the unattractive people. They did the same thing with race...but that is another story.

mdsh00

Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:30 am

I think people are reading too much into all of this.

Quoting Supa7E7 (Reply 34):
Here in the USA attractive girls are commonly hired as drug sales representatives,

Exactly. Still a majority of doctors are men and therefore the drug companies tend to hire young and attractive women as their reps. And I bet you it works too.
"Look Lois, the two symbols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a big fat white guy who is threatened by change."

NewYorkCityBoi

Mon Sep 18, 2006 8:53 am

Quoting B777-700 (Reply 31):

May I ask you one question... How much do you know about Asian culture? Have you lived there or even been there? I live in both continents, and I could say.. "Asia", we have way longer culture than america, and it's not shallow! Thai people are openmind and accept the "human nature" more compare to (some) conservative american. In the US, you just feel politically incorrect (because of the culture) to "accept" or talk about this kindna stuff.

And may I just say that girls in LA, NYC, Tokyo, Paris, they dress up nice and sexy... not because people there are superficial and shallow.. but it's fashoin, beauty, art, creativity, and make the cities more beautiful.

Quoting TVNWZ (Reply 32):
Actually, there have been studies that show...all things being equal...people tend to pick the attractive person. Whether it is buying something, being told what to do, or just stopping for someone in distress, you tend to default to the good looking individual and do what they say/ask.

The opposite is also true, you tend to ignore an unattractive person.

Some people just cant admit it because it's not fair, but it's true!

B777-700

Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:51 am

Quoting NewYorkCityBoi (Reply 37):
May I ask you one question... How much do you know about Asian culture? Have you lived there or even been there? I live in both continents, and I could say.. "Asia", we have way longer culture than america, and it's not shallow! Thai people are openmind and accept the "human nature" more compare to (some) conservative american. In the US, you just feel politically incorrect (because of the culture) to "accept" or talk about this kindna stuff

I don't have to give you my resume. But please, tell me...what jobs do you feel the 'ugly' people should do?...

When you go to the restaurant, you want to see hot waiter/waitress. Go shopping, want to see hot models working in the store. It's so simple and make sense. Who wants to see old flight attendent? It's not fair for smart but not so attractive lady, but what can you do, that's how it works.

Gr8Circle

Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:09 pm

Quoting Jfk777 (Reply 1):
Hey in Asia things are done this way

Quoting B777-700 (Reply 31):

You guys want to be more careful when making such remarks.....

If Nok Air is using such techniques to attract pax, it is their own choice and not reflective of Asian culture or Thai culture....bear in mind that most Asian countries have cultures which are much more orthodox and traditional than the West and date back thousands of years.....moreover, Asia is very large and you cannot make one sweeping statement to cover the entire culture....

Another thing to note is that these sort of displays are usually a result of Western culture influencing Asian cultures and not a result of Asian culture itself.......

As for Western society not being "superficial and shallow", one only needs to look at places like Las Vegas, Hooters or a dozen other such examples, to decide which is which......the use of titillation to attract business is not an Asian thing...it is used all over.....

So do be careful when making such comments on a forum where you have like-minded people from all over the world sharing a common enthusiasm - Aviation!  smile 

cricket

Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:27 pm

Oh wow, do we get these girls in DEL when Nok Air starts???? Not that DEL-BKK traffic needed more motivation..
A300B2/B4/6R, A313, A319/320/321, A333, A343, A388, 737-2/3/4/7/8/9, 747-3/4, 772/2E/2L/3, E170/190, F70, CR2/7, 146-3,

malaysia

Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:44 pm

Quoting NewYorkCityBoi (Reply 22):
Fake smile??? Thailand is a land of smile!, we dont have fake smile (I know there are good/bad people everywhere in the world), Thai people are friendly and realistic about life!

Fake smiles are not rare in Thailand, I once had a girl who had a smile and told my Mom on the phone that she would have me killed back in Thailand.

Quoting NewYorkCityBoi (Reply 27):
Thai people are very openmind

Not with the hiring practices, they are a Xenophobic culture often.

Nok = Bird

[Edited 2006-09-18 15:44:27]
There Are Those Who Believe That There May Yet Be Other Airlines Who Even Now Fight To Survive Beyond The Heavens

Nimish

Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:46 pm

Quoting Cricket (Reply 40):
Oh wow, do we get these girls in DEL when Nok Air starts???? Not that DEL-BKK traffic needed more motivation..

Hey cricket - their first route is supposedly BLR-BKK in January!! Quite looking forward to that route starting, and hopefully they'll offer a different timing from the current TG flights, enabling better connectivity on TG's network ex-BKK.

Does DD offer connectivity/ through-checkin/ through-baggage with TG?
Latest Trip Report - GoAir BLR-BOM-BLR

thaiaggie

Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:28 pm

Quoting Malaysia (Reply 41):
Fake smiles are not rare in Thailand, I once had a girl who had a smile and told my Mom on the phone that she would have me killed back in Thailand.

And how do you know that the smile she had was fake? May be she really smiles!! just kidding Big grin
Barrow, Alaska in Feb. It was Cold!

B777-700

Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:43 pm

Quoting NewYorkCityBoi (Reply 27):
Thai people are very openmind

Not with the hiring practices, they are a Xenophobic culture often.

Haha totally. It hilarious that he says they're open minded....

...unless of course you're ugly!  Wink

NewYorkCityBoi

Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:29 am

Quoting B777-700 (Reply 44):
Haha totally. It hilarious that he says they're open minded....

Things like this happened everywhere cuz there are good and bad person everywhere....

Quoting Gr8Circle (Reply 39):
Asian countries have cultures which are much more orthodox and traditional than the West and date back thousands of years.....moreover, Asia is very large and you cannot make one sweeping statement to cover the entire culture....

To say that asian society is "superficial and shallow" before getting to learn the asian culture is not so openmind. I dont say that I am always on asian side. I'm more like there are good things and bad things from every cultures. There are a lot of thing I like about asian and lots of things I like about american. It just goes differently. But when it comes to service, WHY??? CX, TG, MH, EK is on the top rank of best airlines for decades??? TG doesnt even have PTV in many of their fleet.

102IAHexpress

Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:05 am

WTF? What’s wrong with this forum?

Look, just because most of anet is gay does not mean that most of the flying public is gay also. Men like seeing pretty women, what's wrong with that?
All things being equal, who would you rather fly with? A fifty year old FA that goes on power trips, or pretty young FA that is attentive to your flying needs?

[Edited 2006-09-19 01:11:22]

BMIFlyer

Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:12 am

Front Center girl for me please  Wink

Lee
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own

AirbusA6

Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:50 am

Quoting B777-700 (Reply 38):
I don't have to give you my resume. But please, tell me...what jobs do you feel the 'ugly' people should do?...

You could argue the same about hollywood only using attractive stars.

Re Thailand, it could be argued that it was 'morally' corrupted by the US forces based there during the Vietnam war, certainly a lot of the sexual sleaze dates back from that period, where local girls 'serviced' the US military.

Being an air dolly seems quite innocent in comparison...
it's the bus to stansted (now renamed National Express a6 to ruin my username)

cricket

Tue Sep 19, 2006 5:47 pm

Quoting Nimish (Reply 42):
Hey cricket - their first route is supposedly BLR-BKK in January!! Quite looking forward to that route starting, and hopefully they'll offer a different timing from the current TG flights, enabling better connectivity on TG's network ex-BKK.

From what I've heard on the Indian Aviation threads Nok Air has had problems getting slots at BLR's currently overcrowded airport, I thought BKK-DEL might just start before that even though that might be a stretch for a 737-400.
A300B2/B4/6R, A313, A319/320/321, A333, A343, A388, 737-2/3/4/7/8/9, 747-3/4, 772/2E/2L/3, E170/190, F70, CR2/7, 146-3,