jmc1975

AirTran Exploring PHX

Sun Sep 17, 2006 4:42 am

This should be no surprise. Phoenix is the largest market AirTran does not serve.

http://www.azcentral.com/community/p...nix/articles/0915airtran15-ON.html

AirCop

AirTran Exploring PHX

Sun Sep 17, 2006 5:28 am

But Phoenix officials said they plan to "push" Gateway.
Right non-stop service from Mesa (IWA) to ATL! I just can't imagine AirTran agreeding to that.

Falcon Flyer

AirTran Exploring PHX

Sun Sep 17, 2006 5:33 am

Quoting AirCop (Reply 1):
I just can't imagine AirTran agreeding to that.

Agreed. The "push" for Gateway suggests that they're not familar with AirTran's model.
My definition of cool ? Not trying so hard to be cool.

desertjets

AirTran Exploring PHX

Sun Sep 17, 2006 5:34 am

Interesting that the article mentions that "officials" are pushing IWA at AirTran. I would be very, very, VERY surprised if AirTran opened service to Phoenix it would be at IWA and PHX. IWA is still more or less in the sticks (far less so than it used to be) and has no freeway access.

My only concern w/ AirTran is where would they fly to? Presumably ATL-PHX, but that market is pretty heavily covered between US and DL. Possible alternate markets (BWI, MDW, MCO) are again well covered by US, WN, et al.

Is there enough demand for AirTran to run 1-3 flights a day btwn say ATL and PHX? And is there enough gate, ticket counter space, office space somewhere @ PHX for AirTran?
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

monorail

RE: AirTran Feeling Up PHX

Sun Sep 17, 2006 6:16 am

If it's true, it's about time they came to Sky Harbor!

Quoting DesertJets (Reply 3):
And is there enough gate, ticket counter space, office space somewhere @ PHX for AirTran?

I would imagine they might go to T2. There are open gates where US used to be (9, 11, 13). There should be enough counter space to squeeze in too. T3 would be a tighter fit, I think all the counters there are occupied now. But gates 5, 7, and 9 aren't very well utilized (split between HA, YX, B6) so they could probably squeeze in there if need be. After all they probably wouldn't have many daily flights at first, likely just a redeye at first.
Playoffs? Don't talk about playoffs!

AirTranTUS

RE: AirTran Exploring PHX

Mon Sep 18, 2006 8:50 am

Although it may be a nice idea, IWA doesn't serve most of the PHX metro area. They are planning a 300,000 sq. ft. terminal, but for what airlines. Their "terminal" now does not even have jetways. Who wants to walk out to the plane when its 130 degrees plus o the tarmac in the summer? If they are having trouble, maybe the could come down to TUS.  hyper 
I love ASO!

atrude777

RE: AirTran Exploring PHX

Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:20 am

The article looks exactly the same as the STL one, replace the city and airport name with Lambert,a nd STL and you have the same article.

I have heard from FL workers that PHX is def on the list along with SAN and STL but take it with a grain of salt until you see them landing there.

Alex
Good things come to those who wait, better things come to those who go AFTER it!