Best Airport In The Caribbean?

Fri Jun 30, 2000 5:37 am

Hi all.

I would like your opinion. Which airport in the Caribbean do you consider to be the nicest/prettiest looking. That is of course if you travel to the caribbean at all.

I would have to say Punta Cana International (PUJ) airport in the Dominican Republic. Not because I'm from there but because I've been to a lot of Caribbean islands and have not yet seen one as pretty as this one. Airlines from all over Europe and the US visit this aiport all year long. Tourists get a kick out of it. I believe there are a couple of pictures posted on this site.

Take care,

RE: Best Airport In The Caribbean?

Fri Jun 30, 2000 11:45 am

Was it necessary to post this 3 times?

Although I have never been to any airport in the carribean, My guess would be one in Jamaica.

Fri Jun 30, 2000 12:44 pm

As a person living in the Caribbean I have flown to several of the region's airports. Few of the ones which I have visited can really be called "pretty" - most are just purely functional designs. (BTW, I have never been to Punta Cana.) Of the terminals presently in use Sir Grantley Adams International of Barbados (BGI) is the most attractive that I have seen - it is well-landscaped and the terminal is huge and designed for the efficient movement of many passengers at once. Architecturally it is very appealing with many windows and skylights to let in natural sunlight.

The one which I look forward to, though, is the new terminal at Piarco, Trinidad (POS), my home port. This terminal has been designed to reflect Caribbean architecture while at the same time offering its users speedy and efficient operations. The terminal will feature 14 gates with jetway ramps, a first for the Eastern Caribbean and will be able to cope with 2-3 million passengers per year. From adjacent roadways it looks very impressive indeed and I eagerly await its opening in August 2000.

Hop to it, fly for life!

Sat Jul 01, 2000 10:32 am

I also say Piarco International Airport in Trinidad. Being a Trini, I am very excited to see the old terminal building to be replaced. Hopefully it would finish ontime in August 2000.

Sat Jul 01, 2000 12:47 pm

The airport that I would consider the BEST would be in two places; in the Dominican Republic, Punta Cana, Puerto Plata, and the one in the Capital of The Dominican Republic, Las AmericaS Int'l Airport. Also the one in San Juan, Puerto Rico. But for me the airports to be nice have to be in a good maintenace and good structures since in the Caribbean there are a lot of Hurricanes especially in the summer, and this is when a lot of people travel.
The sky is not the limit...