Trvlr
Topic Author

JAL Private Planes In North America

Fri Jun 30, 2000 6:23 am

Its a long shot, but...
Does anyone know if JAL has a private plane or two to transport their US-Based execs around the country? I was just near SAN and I thought I saw on final a small prop aircraft that looked like a condensed Beechcraft private plane or something that I am 60% sure had the JAL crane logo on it. If it was a JAL-related plane, I wonder what the people in El Segundo were doing at SAN??  Anyway, when I go home today I will take a route that passes right near a private aircraft parking lot and see if what i saw was really what I think it was. Any information would be immensely appreciated. Thanks.

Aaron G.

FLY777UAL

RE: JAL Private Planes In North America

Fri Jun 30, 2000 10:41 am

I'm not sure if they have private planes for their US execs, but I do know that they operate [fairly large] props from Napa Airport as part of their training program. Their props are in full JAL livery.

F L Y 7 7 7 U A L

Trvlr
Topic Author

Fri Jun 30, 2000 11:19 am

Thanks for the info. If it was a JAL plane, it was in the old 80s livery with the blue and red cheatline. I just drove past the airport a/c parking place at SAN and it wasn't there   ...Do you know where any pictures of these might be?? I'll try the JAL website now. I sure wish that plane was there to meet the Port Commission to negotiate a JAL service to SAN!

Aaron G.

Fri Jun 30, 2000 11:21 am

That aircraft you saw was a King Aire C-90, and is a regular aircraft at MRY.

It is used for the multi-engine phase of their ab-initio aircrew training.

Trvlr
Topic Author

Fri Jun 30, 2000 1:06 pm

Maybe. I wonder why they haven't painted it in the new colors yet? Thanks.

Aaron G.

Fri Jun 30, 2000 5:43 pm

What you saw was one of the large fleet of single and twin engine Beechcraft used by JAL at it's Napa Ca training base. The King Air are regular visitors at airports all over California and Nevada. JAL has been training it's new pilots at Napa (APC) since the early 70's. The King Air's are painted in both the current colors as well as the old colors.

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © Richard Silagi

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © Tom Hildreth

I think JAL has about 30 planes at APC.

Richard Silagi

Trvlr
Topic Author

Sat Jul 01, 2000 6:37 am

The first one is exactly what I saw. Thank you.

Aaron G.