Beaucaire
Topic Author

Austrian Airlines Wants To Join Skyteam...

Tue Sep 19, 2006 3:14 pm

In presse-reports in Austria ,the possible change from Star Alliance to Skyteam is mentioned.
The increasing competition from LH flights into east-block counties ex MUC is considered by Austrian Airlines management a serious threat.IN a special board-meeting on Oct. 2 the green light to initiate the departure from Star could be obtained.

http://derstandard.at/?url=/?id=2591371
Please respect animals - don't eat them...

TriStar500

RE: Austrian Airlines Wants To Join Skyteam...

Tue Sep 19, 2006 3:29 pm

Don't know if this would be such a good move if really followed through. Due to strong cultural ties between Austria and Germany (and the heavy business and private traffic generated by these) and the strong integration into the Star network, it would be hard for OS to gain the same benefits in term of passenger and freight volume if they become part of Skyteam.

AB is already nibbling away successfully at OS's Germany market, if LH is now becoming another competitor, I can see OS losing out heavily on the routes to Central and Western Europe.
Homer: Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!

VonRichtofen

Tue Sep 19, 2006 3:32 pm

So they think by pulling out of an alliance that includes LH they'll be better protected from competition from them? That doesn't make sense to me. If Austrian wasn't in STAR LH would be a lot more ruthless and I don't think a carrier the size of Austrian could cope.

Kris

centrair

Tue Sep 19, 2006 3:36 pm

Quoting Beaucaire (Thread starter):
The increasing competition from LH flights into east-block counties ex MUC is considered by Austrian Airlines management a serious threat.

They are safe in Star and if they joined Skyteam they will be working with five European members two of which are Eastern European carriers.

Question: Why Skyteam? Is Austrian bankrupt or recently merged?

[Edited 2006-09-19 08:39:15]
Yes...I am not a KIX fan. Let's Japanese Aviation!

ZKNBX

Tue Sep 19, 2006 3:50 pm

I think it makes a lot of sense. Too much STAR density in LX - LH - LO - OS - SK et al... I would say since LX joined, muscles flexing, OS are feelin the pinch.

Skyteam - you could argue that OK are also very close to OS geographically but the size differential (!) compared with LH and LO probably makes it a more attractive option. Also, with Skyteam, OS would have less Skyteam competition re long haul traffic from the eastern end of Europe... potentially a good move for their services to the far east.

HB-IWC

Tue Sep 19, 2006 4:06 pm

It wouldn't be the first time for Austrian to make such a bold move and leave an alliance. In tempore non suspecto, back in 1999, OS decided to leave the ill-fated Qualiflyer Group in favor of a tie up with Lufthansa because of the overly dominant position of Swissair in that partnership. That decision proved successful for the Austrian Airlines Group, and I believe that a possible move away from Star and into Skyteam would entail much more benefits for OS than one would presume.

ZKNBX

Tue Sep 19, 2006 4:18 pm

Well said, HBIWC.

It is useful to have an historical perspective. OS move out of Qualifyer at the time SR entered the arena is telling re these rumours.

alespesl

Tue Sep 19, 2006 4:24 pm

I would love OS to come to SKYTEAM. I am a big fan of this airline and flown with them many times between PRG and VIE and on to YYZ or YUL.

I have a membership is CZECH AIRLINES OK PLUS and would love to collect points with OS.

kiwiandrew

Tue Sep 19, 2006 4:54 pm

so , if this happens OS will leave behind their frequent flyer database to start again from scratch ? also , aren't they hosted in LH's res system - I assume that there would be a substantial penalty payable to LH for breaking this commerical arrangement in addition to the rumoured fee for leaving Star . I believe also ( though I can't remember the source ) that if a member opts to leave Star they are not permitted to join a rival alliance for a period of two years - a period in which they would be very vulnerable - in short , while OS may not be happy with how things are in Star nobody should underestimate how difficult things could be for them if they decide to move on

Beaucaire
Topic Author

Tue Sep 19, 2006 5:01 pm

..but you underestimate the ego of Austrian politicians when it comes to the independance of "their" national airline.Austrians are somewhat more emotional when it comes to their pride and pure economical-financial reasons for a maintain in STAR are a little unrealistic....
The current situation does not provide any perspective for them -so they have to initiate a stategic move.
Better " ein Ende mit Schrecken als ein Schrecken ohne Ende.."

rootsair

Tue Sep 19, 2006 5:27 pm

Austrian airlines seems to LOVE moving away from alliances.
First they pull out of Qualiflyer and then STAR.

Quoting ZKNBX (Reply 4):
I think it makes a lot of sense. Too much STAR density in LX - LH - LO - OS - SK et al... I would say since LX joined, muscles flexing, OS are feelin the pinch.

Skyteam - you could argue that OK are also very close to OS geographically but the size differential (!) compared with LH and LO probably makes it a more attractive option. Also, with Skyteam, OS would have less Skyteam competition re long haul traffic from the eastern end of Europe... potentially a good move for their services to the far east.

Not only OK but AZ and to a lesser extent AF.
A man without the knowledge of his past history,culture and origins is like a tree without roots

ZRH

Tue Sep 19, 2006 5:37 pm

Quoting Centrair (Reply 3):
Is Austrian bankrupt or recently merged?

Not bankrupt, but in a critical financial situation.

Quoting ZKNBX (Reply 6):
OS move out of Qualifyer at the time SR entered

To be correct, SR did not enter Qualifyer but was a founding member.

Quoting Beaucaire (Reply 9):
..but you underestimate the ego of Austrian politicians when it comes to the independance of "their" national airline.Austrians are somewhat more emotional when it comes to their pride and pure economical-financial reasons for a maintain in STAR are a little unrealistic....
The current situation does not provide any perspective for them -so they have to initiate a stategic move.
Better " ein Ende mit Schrecken als ein Schrecken ohne Ende.."

That was the same with the Swiss politicians. But after the SR bankruptcy and the selling of Swiss to LH everybody now takes it easy and is quite satisfied with the current situation.

Danny

Tue Sep 19, 2006 5:48 pm

Does not make any sense to me for a number of reasons.

Leaving one alliance and joining another is a very expensive operation. There are better ways to invest money for OS.

Secondly they cut off themselves from any feeding from Lufthansa, Adria etc I do not believe AF or OK will provide any value as feeders.

Third, if they complain about STAR competition now, just imagine what will happen with them once they leave the alliance. They are pretty much surrounded by STAR carriers and will face very fierce fight against them.

Leaving Qualiflier was right as this was ill and weak alliance with major players slowly drowning. Leaving world's strongest alliance may be a deadly move.

keesje

Tue Sep 19, 2006 5:53 pm

Austrian perhaps has better opportunities to expand in Skyteam. The additional of Swiss probably didn't help.

An alliance can be so full of airlines that individual airlines feel restrained and overruled by the bigger ones. Thai is another good example within Star that plays up now and then.
"Never mistake motion for action." Ernest Hemingway

FrancoBlanco

Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:00 pm

Quoting Beaucaire (Reply 9):
ein Ende mit Schrecken als ein Schrecken ohne Ende

And rather lose the market share on flights between Austria and Germany than lose the market in Eastern Europe, where LH is a lot stronger than OS already.

speculation on:
Maybe OS could even continue the flights to Australia once they are in Skyteam. Currently there are no Skyteam flights between Europe and Down Under. speculation off.

The independence of OS is not only of national interest in Austria. OS being taken over by LH would definetly mean that OS would become nothing more than a regional feeder for LH.

Sebastian
'Pointless!' - NY Times

Leskova

Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:08 pm

Quoting FrancoBlanco (Reply 14):
The independence of OS is not only of national interest in Austria. OS being taken over by LH would definetly mean that OS would become nothing more than a regional feeder for LH.

... which is exactly, word for word, the same thing that a lot of members here claimed would happen to LX... and I think most of us are aware of what happened to those rumors, right?

LH is not stupid - if they were, they wouldn't be where they are today. If they were to take over OS, they'd continue the short/medium/longhauls that make sense, they'd discontinue those that don't.

Claiming that they'd convert OS into "nothing more than a regional feeder for LH" is just pure speculation, nothing else.
Smile - it confuses people!

RJ100

Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:09 pm

LH is just waiting for OS to go belly up so they have one competitor less in Europe.
So they need to join a different alliance. Currently OS is not able to survive and with increasing competition to Eastern European destinations LH will add some pressure.

So they have these options:

1) staying with Star and losing money, taken over by LH at some stage
2) joining a different alliance and hoping for better times
3) radical resizing, cutting loss making routes, laying off people etc. and stay with Star (but of course Austrian politician's pride will not allow this)

Regards,
RJ100
none

Beaucaire
Topic Author

Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:28 pm

Quoting FrancoBlanco (Reply 14):
speculation on:
Maybe OS could even continue the flights to Australia once they are in Skyteam. Currently there are no Skyteam flights between Europe and Down Under. speculation off.

I don't see passengers from France first travel to Vienne and fly on stop-over Singapore to Sydney-that makes two stops instead of the usual one stop via Dubai ,Bangkok or Singapore.
I don't say it's completely unfeasable but a somewhat longer route...

konrad

Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:38 pm

AUA has no separate FF program, their premium customers are LH Miles&More Senators and FTLs. If AUA goest to SkyTeam those customers on most profitable routes (say VIE-IAD, VIE-LHR, VIE-FRA) are likely to stay with LH or other Star airlines, e.g. UA. Not to mention the extra cost of starting a brand new FF program.

On a different note: I keep hearing a lot of complaints about LH entering East Europe market which was supposed to be OS ground for expansion. The point is, LH offers a better product in the short- and medium-haul segment so no wonder Star customers chose with their feet and went LH via MUC iso OS via VIE. AUA offers nothing but water on 1 1/2 h flights and this is not exactly what I expect from a major alliance carrier.

I doubt SkyTeam needs AUA having already CSA and Alitalia operating close by.

FrancoBlanco

Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:14 pm

Quoting Leskova (Reply 15):
Claiming that they'd convert OS into "nothing more than a regional feeder for LH" is just pure speculation, nothing else

I forgot to add the speculation on/off thingy in this case, that's true.

Nevertheless, I cannot imagine Star Alliance building a hub in VIE with FRA, MUC and ZRH so close. True, LX continues to be a national carrier for Switzerland and they can keep their long-haul destinations. But on the other hand, why should the same go for OS? OS's long-haul flights are not as interesting as LX's and OS's network in Eastern Europe doesn't mean much to LH when they have a larger network there on their own.

As I said, that's just my point of view and I always like to have an open discussion.

Sebastian
'Pointless!' - NY Times

ZKNBX

Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:20 pm

Quoting Danny (Reply 12):
imagine what will happen with them once they leave the alliance. They are pretty much surrounded by STAR carriers and will face very fierce fight against them.

Yes but there are rules, protecting airlines against dishonest competition (price fixing). Look what happened to LH last week? (significant payout in the trans-atlantic price fixing saga). So competition may be fierce, but it also comes to WHO and WHERE your friends are and HOW you can get most leverage.

SwissA330

Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:20 pm

Regarding the FF-System

They are in Miles&More, that's correct, but they have their own customer database. (Same for Swiss btw)
Austrian (resp. Swiss) Passengers are being handled by a regional Miles&More Center only handling those passengers.
I.e. the former Swiss Travelclub guys are now called miles&more Switzerland, and all former STC Members became a member of Miles&More.

BTW: Frequent Flyer Programme changes happened a lot lately, it is not that uncommon.... E.g. when Qualiflyer broke up, you could chose where you wanted your miles to go, either to TP, SN, LX etc... then, when LX joined LH you could choose wether to open up a new account or join it to an existing LH one etc. So solutions are possible...
swissair/+/ we care

StarGoldLHR

Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:08 pm

I cant imagine Austrian moving from Star Alliance, I think it's a deal strengthing tactic to negotiate with LH.

I thought LH has a share in AUA Group ? If so then LH has a voting right also.

At the end of the dat AUA is going to become a feeder to LH, plus a couple of Long Hauls, as is Lot, Swiss and Scandinavian.

If AUA were to align with Czech, AF and KLM... they wouldnt have a chance, and people wouldnt want to feed to AMS, CDG from VIE or from Graz via VIE to CDG for a long haul, when they could go Graz to MUC with LH and fly one OS Segment instead of 2
So far in 2008 45 flights and Gold already. JFK, IAD, LGA, SIN, HKG, NRT, AKL, PPT, LAX still to book ! Home Airport LCY

Danny

Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:21 pm

Quoting StarGoldLHR (Reply 22):
At the end of the dat AUA is going to become a feeder to LH, plus a couple of Long Hauls, as is Lot, Swiss and Scandinavian.

Let's get few things straight.

Nobody prohibits OS to fly to Australia other than the market. It is lack of passengers and lack of revenue that caused OS to terminate this service.

SAS is hardly LH feeder. LOT maybe but only due to their own incompetence and political management not LH forcing them to something.

Swiss was saved by LH from bankruptcy and began to grow under LH management not the opposite.
http://www.airliners.net/discussions...general_aviation/read.main/2994442

Are they getting those A340 to feed FRA and MUC?

Motorhussy

Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:38 pm

From an alliance perspective, it makes good strategic and competitor sense to me, but oneworld would make even more sense.

oneworld has no Central European alliance partner currently and particularly nothing in the German block. OS would be a coup.

SkyTeam has CSA (OK) in Central Europe, but would benefit from OS participation immensely.

In the Star Alliance group, OS is one of many in Central Europe (and the poor cousin in the German block - because of LH's partial ownership of LX - so no offense you Austrian a.nutters) with no particular strategic strength to hinge and galvanise support on from other Star carriers.

IMHO
Regards
MH
come visit the south pacific

kiwiandrew

Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:40 pm

Quoting MotorHussy (Reply 24):
oneworld has no Central European alliance partner currently

what about MA ?

ZKNBX

Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:05 pm

MA is .... in a state of flux. I gather they got the rough end of the pineapple from Skyteam and are en route to One World as we speak. Not that One World have said anything to confirm discussions. MA were not happy being a second tier carrier. And they are hardly competition for OS.

kiwiandrew

Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:11 pm

Quoting ZKNBX (Reply 26):
Not that One World have said anything to confirm discussions

yes they have  Smile

http://www.oneworld.com/ow/news-and-information

19 September 2006aword from oneworld: September 2006

Japan Airlines, Malév and Royal Jordanian are all on track to join oneworld early next year, in particular in implementing interline e-ticketing (IET) with their future partners. For details, and news of another destination in Germany joining the oneworld network, click on this link to open this month's edition of the group's regular review, aword from oneworld ...more

freedom747

Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:20 pm

Com'on over, SkyTeam has room

Motorhussy

Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:27 pm

Quoting Kiwiandrew (Reply 25):
what about MA ?

Good point, forgot they were in the starting line-up for the next intake. Shades of the old Austro-Hungarian empire - could be LOL.

Regards
MH
come visit the south pacific

JGPH1A

Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:29 pm

Quoting Kiwiandrew (Reply 8):
also , aren't they hosted in LH's res system - I assume that there would be a substantial penalty payable to LH for breaking this commerical arrangement in addition to the rumoured fee for leaving Star

OS are currently hosted in Lufthansa Systems inventory/DCS, and in Amadeus for Reservations. But so a are a lot of carriers, including some LH competitors. That by itself should not be a barrier to them loosening their ties with Star. However, I would be very surprised if OS wanted to leave Star.
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

swissy

Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:30 pm

For sure OS is "free" to go however if it is for the better??? time would tell.

OS had a good "eastern" network and VIE is a very good gateway to eastern Europe, long haul is a little different and somewhat tricky..........

Quoting Danny (Reply 23):
Nobody prohibits OS to fly to Australia other than the market. It is lack of passengers and lack of revenue that caused OS to terminate this service.

checkmark 

Quoting Danny (Reply 23):
SAS is hardly LH feeder. LOT maybe but only due to their own incompetence and political management not LH forcing them to something.

checkmark 

Same with LX, there is space for each airline, it just depends on the size & market.

Cheers,

FrancoBlanco

Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:23 pm

I'd say we should stop speculating about OS joining oneworld; there haven't been any talks or even rumors about that. Remember that it's not like OS has decided to leave Star and is looking for a new partner.

Also remember that press releases stated that AF would be interested to invest in OS, to spend money for "harmonizing" their fleet with the AF-KL fleet (whatever that means - a new can of worms for all a.netters). There weren't even rumors that BA or LH would be interested to do that - the only rumor that maintains is the one about LH wanting to take over OS.

Sebastian
'Pointless!' - NY Times

Aviator27

Wed Sep 20, 2006 1:03 am

I can in fact confirm this rumor to be more than true from the information I got from reliable sources when I was in Vienna last week. Star alliance does not fit into Austrians network very well so they want out. Although, they did not know which alliance they were going to join, I was asked which one fits Austrian best. I said Skyteam.

JAL

Wed Sep 20, 2006 2:04 am

But wouldn't OneWorld with fewer member airlines (I think only Malev) in that area be a better choice?
Work Hard But Play Harder

orlando666

Wed Sep 20, 2006 2:11 am

I think Austrian could also do something else:

(A) Stop all Long-Haul Flying - Their withdrawal from KUL/Australia is in the right direction, I doubt yields on the remaining long-haul routes are worth it.

(B) Focus on being a low-cost carrier between east/west Europe. But perhaps their staff costs are too high?

(C) Admit they can never compete with LH on East Europe/Asia and rationalise/share schedules and capacity (Like KL-AF have done on long haul).

Beaucaire
Topic Author

Wed Sep 20, 2006 2:22 am

Quoting Orlando666 (Reply 35):
(B) Focus on being a low-cost carrier between east/west Europe. But perhaps their staff costs are too high?

You have Skyeurope,Wizzair and Centralwings already active in this market-if you add Germanwings,Ryanair,Esyjet and Air Berlin (they are thought to anounce more new destinations soon including Moscow..),the Low Cost segment would be an absolute mistake.
AUA can only survive embedded in a strong alliance as complementary feeder/network carrier.VIE needs to maintain a role as (even small ) Hub.

B777-700

Wed Sep 20, 2006 2:24 am

Quoting Centrair (Reply 3):
Question: Why Skyteam? Is Austrian bankrupt or recently merged?

Oh hahaha...you're a funny guy.

Lemme make sure I understand the punchline. Did you mean like United bankrupt, or USAirways bankrupt? Was it like USAirways recently merged?

Just wanna make sure so I can tell all my friends your funny joke.
If you don't chew Big Red, then @#$% you.

deltadawg

Wed Sep 20, 2006 2:51 am

While I would like to OS in SkyTeam I really question the move. There are two sides to this.

One, OS has an agreement (albeit one they obviously are struggling with - LH) but would they want to trade an agreement with LH for an even closer OK (Czech) just up the road that I am sure competes today for passengers.

Two, would OK want OS coming into SkyTeam for the same reason, competition and strategic advantage of an expansion area, Eastern Europe.

Who would sponsor such a move - AF, DL, etc.?

Also, the only one I see this really benefiting would be DL with their expansion into Eastern Europe they could draw some connection traffic with a route to Vienna - possibly.

I just don't see this happening - I think it could be a negotiating tool against LH?
GO Dawgs, Sic' em, woof woof woof

DALelite

Wed Sep 20, 2006 3:14 am

AUA in the Skyteam Alliance would be great. DL/AF offered them to join early in 2000 but AUA went to LH instead.

DALelite
They loved to fly and it showed..

goldorak

Wed Sep 20, 2006 3:35 am

I would love also to see AUA in skyteam. Don't forget they already code-share with AF for several years on CDG-VIE and LYS-VIE. Star carriers are supposed to all move to CDG1 next year (?) to constitute a hub, but AUA is currently at CDG2 for the AF code-share. If they join skyteam, they won't have to move

KLM685

Wed Sep 20, 2006 3:52 am

Quoting Kiwiandrew (Reply 8):
so , if this happens OS will leave behind their frequent flyer database to start again from scratch ? also , aren't they hosted in LH's res system -

OS could do something similar as MX did when they left Star Alliance. They kept code-share with most of the major SA carriers and slowly face them out. Their codeshare with AC was just left until recent. Also miles from Mexicana could be used in some of their ex-Star Alliance companions.

So it's possible.
KLM- The Best Airline in the World!

CRJ900

Wed Sep 20, 2006 4:11 am

Does Austria attract hoardes of tourists and business people in its own right or do most people just pass through the country on their way to something more interesting?

LH's A380 will be very popular, I'm sure, so OS may find it hard to fill their B772s that are replacing the A343. And for their Euro network, are the CRJ100/200s economical today or would they be better off replacing them with CRJ700 or CRJ900 to better compete with LH and Air One's CRJ900s?
Come, fly the prevailing winds with me

dtwclipper

Wed Sep 20, 2006 4:15 am

OS in Skyteam?

When do they start VIE-DTW?
Compare New York Air, the Airline that works for your Business

worldtraveler

Wed Sep 20, 2006 4:45 am

OS can easily see what LH has done to LX and they do not want that repeated with them. OS will always face a difficult road but they can pick a partner that does not dominate them as LH does its partners. AF/KL’s more westerly presence and BA even more westerly than that does give OS a lot more room to be itself.

Since we can’t confirm who the potential partner might be, we have to use some caution but OS and DL were partnered before so OS does know what that partnership would be worth. Also, it is interesting that both CO and DL are rumored to be talking about VIE services which would pump a lot of capacity into VIE – and thus feed OS’ flights.

OK is a lot smaller than LH and is itself still in transition. If OS played its cards right, it could regroup quickly and secure its position while OK still has room to grow around OS. The Czech Republic and Austria are both small enough that neither market will support multiple frequencies per day in most markets so the two could benefit by complementing each other as well as by complementing each other on longer haul routes.

It would seem like strategically that OS would have the most room to grow in oneworld but AA doesn’t have the feed at JFK that DL has and AA doesn’t seem interested in longhaul expansion to continental Europe. If OS moved its IAD flights to ORD, they would have pretty good coverage and good feed there. Either way, IAD-VIE seems like it would be hard to sustain outside of Star.

FrancoBlanco

Wed Sep 20, 2006 4:48 am

Quoting DeltaDAWG (Reply 38):
Who would sponsor such a move - AF, DL, etc.?

As being said in previous post in this very thread, AF has stated their interest in OS.

It seems that OK's opinion on this topic is rather irrelevant, it's only a thing between AF and OS. AF/KL group would obviously prefer OS rather than OK to build up a network in Eastern Europe for Skyteam.

I don't think OS uses this whole thing as a negotiation tool with LH. AF claimed to be interested in OS, that's a fact, that's nothing OS could make up. Of course, OS can use this offer to put some pressure on LH, but if it's a good offer, they will have a serious look at it.

Sebastian
'Pointless!' - NY Times

ckfred

Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:23 am

This is sort of revisiting the past, since OS used to codeshare with DL, prior to joining Star. I remember that OS used to fly ATL-VIE.

ZRH

Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:36 am

Quoting WorldTraveler (Reply 44):
OS can easily see what LH has done to LX and they do not want that repeated with them

At moment it is very positive what LH has "done" to LX. LX makes profit and is able to expand: 2 more A 321, 1 A 320, 2 332 and probably a few more A 343 next year.

airbazar

Wed Sep 20, 2006 8:04 am

Sooner or later OS will go belly up, it's that simple. What value does OS bring to any alliance? The geographic location of VIE (in the middle of Europe), combined with few onward connections, makes it impossible to travel with OS. Why would anyone travel via VIE withon Europe when they can go non-stop? And why would you stop in VIE on the way to Asia or the US, when again, you can go non-stop or have far better connecting options via CDG/FRA/MUC/AMS?

vv701

Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:01 am

Quoting Danny (Reply 12):
Secondly they cut off themselves from any feeding from Lufthansa

Sorry. What traffic would LH feed to OS? I would have thought that 90 per cent of the feed between LH and OS was from OS to LH. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Quoting CRJ900 (Reply 42):
Does Austria attract hoardes of tourists and business people in its own right or do most people just pass through the country on their way to something more interesting?

Vienna and Salzburg and the Tirol are year-round tourist attractions. Vienna also used to be an important East-West bridge for business during the Cold War days. More recently I have done business with Iran in Vienna and used to go to the Iranian Embassy in Vienna if I needed a quick visa for Iran that could take me months to get in London. So apart from local business it still has potential as an east-west (with small and not initial capital letters) bridge.