ronerone

Aircraft Cleaning

Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:11 pm

Apart from the usual cleaning that aircraft recieve while on the ground in between flights, how often do they recieve a more thorough cleaning on average?

Once a week? twice maybe?

What is the procedure like and how long does it take?

Thanks

Roni
Fly Roni. Aviation Journeys. Photos. Videos.

airtran737

RE: Aircraft Cleaning

Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:23 pm

We clean our planes every night. There is a sheet that has about forty to fifty items that need to be accomplished, and verified before the night crew leaves. We clean the lavs, galleys, floors, walls, windows, seat back pockets, mirrors, hard surfaces, tray tables, and cockpit. In total it takes about 3 1/2 man hours to clean a 717, and about 4 man hours to clean a 737.
Nice Trip Report!!! Great Pics, thanks for posting!!!! B747Forever

EK413

Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:54 pm

Its varies and depends what route the aircraft operates...For example the A333 aircraft that operates the QF123 SYD-DRW-BOM-SYD sector receives a deep clean once it returns to Sydney....Let me you this aircraft really,really stinks once it has operated this sector  butthead   crazy   eek   eyepopping   splat   vomit   yuck 

EK413
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!

swissy

Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:35 pm

Quoting EK413 (Reply 2):
Its varies and depends what route the aircraft operates...For example the A333 aircraft that operates the QF123 SYD-DRW-BOM-SYD sector receives a deep clean once it returns to Sydney....Let me you this aircraft really,really stinks once it has operated this sector

Agree 100%, based on my own experience, however each airline has different requirements and most of them get a light clean between flights and over night a more detailed clean and "once" in while a so called "deep groom" which is very time consuming as they basically clean the inside from top to bottom.

Cheers,

VgnAtl747

Wed Sep 20, 2006 1:17 am

On EV aircraft, there is a section that is "Deep Cleaned" on specific days of the week. Essencially, the Galley is concentrated on twice weekly, as is the Lav, and other areas are concentrated on once a week, such as the overhead bins, seat backs, etc.

Now this is entirely different from the OH cleaning policy (which takes about an hour longer to do every night), which includes doing all of these areas every night and actually hand scrubbing the cabin walls, etc.

Comair has really set the bar high on our cleaning standards- unfortunately we now only get EV aircraft in my station which generally are a pain to clean since the EV cleaning policy isn't exactly in-depth. We tend to do a hybrid of the two programs on our EV aircraft, going a bit beyond the EV program simply for customer service sake- nobody wants to get on an aircraft that hasn't been thoroughly cleaned- at least that's the way I look at it.
Work Hard. Fly Right. Continental Airlines

HAWK21M

Wed Sep 20, 2006 1:12 pm

Exterior Cleaning is approx once a week.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

EK413

Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:44 pm

Its varies and depends what route the aircraft OPERATED...For example the A333 aircraft WHICH operates the QF123 SYD-DRW-BOM-SYD sector receives a deep clean once it returns to Sydney....Let me TELL you this aircraft really,really stinks once it has operated this sector....

Sorry, I had to correct my self as it didnt make any sense after reading it!

EK413

atlflyer

Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:47 pm

I was on an evening Air Tran flight out of Atlanta a few weeks ago, and it was absolutely filthy. Underneath where the seat is bolted to the floor were crumbs, gum and candy, and small pieces of trash. It really looked like this area of the plane had never been cleaned. The plastic over the lights was a dark yellow/orange and made the cabin look dirty and old. I wrote Air Tran to tell them that this was not the first impression I was looking for and never received a response from them.

dl1011

Thu Sep 21, 2006 2:25 am

1 certain airline that shall remain nameless, only cleans the exterior during heavy checks. The interiors are "cleaned" by a contract company. They usually manage to get all of the big pieces of trash but the little stuff under the seats and in the seat tracks are members of the frequent flier club.

If one needs to work under a seat, one ends up feeling scuzzy and in need of a shower.

HKA

Thu Sep 21, 2006 3:13 am

How do they get rid of the vomit smells ??

I am sure virtually every long flight will have passengers vomit on the floor or seats especially from children.

TuRbUleNc3

Thu Sep 21, 2006 3:24 am

Quoting HKA (Reply 9):
How do they get rid of the vomit smells ??

About 5 bottles of febreeze  

[Edited 2006-09-20 20:24:59]

6thfreedom

Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:55 am

Quoting EK413 (Reply 2):
Its varies and depends what route the aircraft operates...For example the A333 aircraft that operates the QF123 SYD-DRW-BOM-SYD sector receives a deep clean once it returns to Sydney....Let me you this aircraft really,really stinks once it has operated this sector

Is it the fact that the aircraft has operated to BOM, or are u just assuming this.

Could it be it gets cleaned after BOM simply due to aircraft rotation and ground time in SYD??

The flight departs at 1000 from SYD, and doesn't get back in til 1405.

If its next mission isn't til the following morning, that might explain the cleaning after the BOM flight.

vulindlela744

Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:16 am

Airtran 737.....you are completely dreaming. As a f/a for the same airline I can assure you this 40 to 50 checklist thing is almost never done. I cannot begin to tell you how many mornings I have been on one of our a/c that has barely had the seatbelts crossed. And the galley being cleaned. Yeah....right. Don't think so. Sad but true.

EK413

Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:00 pm

6thfreedom

From Singapore, joined Sep 2004, 1640 posts, RR: 7
Reply 11, posted Thu Sep 21 2006 01:55:09 UTC+2 and read 149 times:

Quoting EK413 (Reply 2):

Is it the fact that the aircraft has operated to BOM, or are u just assuming this.

Could it be it gets cleaned after BOM simply due to aircraft rotation and ground time in SYD??

The flight departs at 1000 from SYD, and doesn't get back in til 1405.

If its next mission isn't til the following morning, that might explain the cleaning after the BOM flight.

Based on experience its due to the route the aircraft operates. . . Believe me no one enjoys servicing this aircraft once it returns to Sydney. . .

EK413

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos