kmh1956

What Happens To The Connecting Plane?

Wed Sep 20, 2006 2:37 am

OK, this may seem like a silly question, but it's one I really would like the answer for. Last Sunday and Monday, BDA airport was under hurricane watch and was shut down for two days. On the Tuesday, Delta cancelled their BOS-BDA flight because of possible weather conditions.
My question is this: the flight that flew into BOS to make the BDA connection....what happens to that plane? Does it get switched to another route, or what? I mean, that's three days worth of planes that obviously can't just sit there.....
And what about the flight crew? I was trying to imagine the logistics behind re-arranging schedules and crew and decided that it must be a nightmare....
Thanks, all!
'Somebody tell me why I'm on my own if there's a soulmate for everyone' :Natasha Bedingfield

cle757

RE: What Happens To The Connecting Plane?

Wed Sep 20, 2006 2:40 am

It probably was used for another route, I'm sure it just didnt sit. May have been sent to a hub for a flight that had a maintenance problem.
Cleveland the best location in the Nation

coyoteguy

Wed Sep 20, 2006 3:44 am

This is nothing.... imagine when Miami shuts down due to a hurricane, every single flight is cancelled, and every single aircraft leaves. Now THAT must be a scheduling nightmare. Happened twice last year, and the airport was closed for a couple of days the second time.

S5FA170

Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:42 am

It is a scheduling nightmare.

From a crew perspective, they probably lose the pay (depending on their contract - if a flight cancels for weather or maintenance they are not pay protected) and they might have been given an extended layover in BOS to pick their trip back up when they would have normally returned from BDA.

-Tony
Prepare doors for departure and cross-check.

JAFA

Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:52 am

Here at DTW when there is a major weather system like a hurricane, you will see extra aircraft parked all over the place. Some on the deice pad in summer, or more than the usual amount at the maintenance hangers.

The airplane just sits until its next scheduled flight that doesn't involve the affected area. As far as the crew it depends on the airline. You could go home if it was just a one day trip, or pick up the unaffected part of the trip if its a multiple day trip.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos