B6DC10
Topic Author

Blue Chicago?!?!?!

Thu Sep 21, 2006 3:41 am

Hello fellow A-netters...expect the windy city to get hit w/ a touch of blue this week...I'll give you a hint -It's not Midway...It's not Gary...and It's not Rockford....any guesses???
TriJet or No Jet At All...

N1120A

RE: Blue Chicago?!?!?!

Thu Sep 21, 2006 3:43 am

Quoting B6DC10 (Thread starter):
Hello fellow A-netters...expect the windy city to get hit w/ a touch of blue this week...I'll give you a hint -It's not Midway...It's not Gary...and It's not Rockford....any guesses???

SBN? Or perhaps B6 now wants MKE called Milwaukee/Chicago?
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

B6JFKH81

Thu Sep 21, 2006 3:43 am

Are we re-opening Meigs and extending the runway?!? LOL!

You aren't leaving us with much with your list. Is it ORD????
"If you do not learn from history, you are doomed to repeat it"

B6DC10
Topic Author

Thu Sep 21, 2006 3:44 am

ORD? Hmmm....I don't want to play spoiler, but you're on the right track...

vivavegas

Thu Sep 21, 2006 3:53 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 1):
perhaps B6 now wants MKE called Milwaukee/Chicago?

Swwweeettt.....

Now on to reality...

Anyway, what gates are available at ORD? International?

Craig
MKE
MKE / EYW / LAS - The true trifecta of aviation!

jetbluefan1

Thu Sep 21, 2006 3:59 am

Wow, this definitely comes as a surprise (or will come as one, I should say).

When can we expect some more information?

JetBluefan1

FriendlySkies

Thu Sep 21, 2006 4:02 am

I doubt it's ORD considering the FAA just more or less made it slot-controlled through 2008...but I could be wrong.

sjc4me

Thu Sep 21, 2006 4:11 am

Oh good, ORD needs more traffic.
Unable.

chase

Thu Sep 21, 2006 4:33 am

Hmm...well, if FR can land in the grass in Madrid as is rumoured on another current thread, maybe B6 are heading to Peotone a little early?  Smile

piercey

Thu Sep 21, 2006 4:37 am

Quoting B6DC10 (Thread starter):

SBN? ORD? Aurora becoming civ-av?
Well I believe it all is coming to an end. Oh well, I guess we are gonna pretend.

B6DC10
Topic Author

Thu Sep 21, 2006 4:37 am

Slots opened up very quickly....expect an ORD announcement this week...8 daily flights!

scaledesigns

Thu Sep 21, 2006 4:53 am

Old AA and UA slots were possibly going to be given to other airlines to add free competition at ORD.I suspect Jet Blue may get a few from this program.

I hope they know they are entering a hornets nest. AA and UA will protect
their turf.
F1 Tommy

ripcordd

Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:01 am

Just another route they will loose money on there is way too many loyal fliers for AA/UA in the market for them to switch they offer like 30 some flights they don't know what they are in for.

FWAERJ

Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:04 am

Quoting Vivavegas (Reply 4):
Anyway, what gates are available at ORD? International?

International Terminal 5 has gates, but the operating costs from T5 are higher than Terminals 1/2/3. JetBlue has been holding out for gates at T1/2/3 for quite some time.

My bet is that JetBlue will be subleasing gates from United, as B6 subleases gates from UA at several other airports (including PDX). Another possibility is DL vacating their remaining T3 Concourse L gates and moving to T2 Concourse E, sharing gates with SkyTeam partners CO and NW... but this is unlikely to happen as DL shows no love for B6 (esp. at JFK). IIRC, AA is still bitter over losing the LGB battle to B6, so I wouldn't expect that JetBlue's gates at ORD would be subleased from AA. But, then again, stranger things have happened...
"Did he really need the triple bypass? Or was it the miles?"

jetbluefan1

Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:11 am

Quoting B6DC10 (Reply 10):
Slots opened up very quickly....expect an ORD announcement this week...8 daily flights!

What what???!!! All are most likely to JFK since there is very little competition. I doubt BOS will get service right off the bat because the route is so saturated already.

Alright! Can't wait to see what the fares are. I bet JetBlue has something up its sleeve for marketing. This is not going to be easy in the least - that's for sure - but it'll be very, very interesting to watch.

JetBluefan1

sjc4me

Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:38 am

Quoting Ripcordd (Reply 12):
Just another route they will loose money on there is way too many loyal fliers for AA/UA in the market for them to switch they offer like 30 some flights they don't know what they are in for.

What if you hate flying on RJ's? B6 will be the only airline to offer mainline fleet from ORD to JFK. That's a pretty big bargaining chip in my mind.

PS - sweet run on sentence!
Unable.

B6DC10
Topic Author

Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:40 am

Quoting Ripcordd (Reply 12):

Sour Grapes....I am sure that people will look beyond the legacy carriers after being under their thumb for so many years....expect service to begin next month!

lowecur

Thu Sep 21, 2006 6:01 am

Quoting B6DC10 (Reply 10):
Slots opened up very quickly....expect an ORD announcement this week...8 daily flights

FAA left the possibility of an 89th and 90th slot opening to new entrants with 8 or fewer flts per day. The slots will be effective until 10/31/08 when a new runway is anticipated to open. This still doesn't answer the question of gates. Jetblue will obviously be subleasing from someone, but their growth will be stymied after 2008 until they get access to some new gates. Consolidation could answer a few of those questions, as UAL may be forced by the DOJ antitrust division to give up some gates/slots at ORD if they want approval to merge with CAL.

[Edited 2006-09-20 23:12:01]

JetBlueGuy2006

Thu Sep 21, 2006 6:44 am

Does this signal a heavier growth into the midwest (if this is all proven soon)?

So we could be seeing STL and possibly some in Michigan?
Home Airport: Capital Region International Airport (KLAN)

LambertMan

Thu Sep 21, 2006 6:50 am

Not surprised to see St. Louis get the stiff-arm yet again, Chicago surely needs the service.  Wink

scaledesigns

Thu Sep 21, 2006 7:23 am

AA/AE mainly uses the JFK runs for connections to AA/partners international departures.
Jet Blue with its huge International fleet:- will be only using it as a domestic hub.With all the mainline nonstops from ORD/MDW they better have real cheap tickets fares or they will be eaten alive.
F1 Tommy

GoBlue

Thu Sep 21, 2006 7:33 am

So excited to see this happen. I am worried that they will not be able to get the slots to expand to IAD, BOS, MCO and FLL. Which i would assume is on the radar.

How would they get the slots for expansion?

Cheers

flyibaby

Thu Sep 21, 2006 7:36 am

Where did the Independence slots go? I know in 2004 they operated 14 a day...any idea what happened to those, or were they just absorbed by another carrier?

srbmod

Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:20 am

Quoting Scaledesigns (Reply 11):
I hope they know they are entering a hornets nest. AA and UA will protect
their turf.

And would make the fight DL and FL gave them in Atlanta look like a church picnic.........

propilotjw

Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:24 am

wow... this will be interesting to see what routes from ORD B6 would serve if ORD really is announced. It could be quite the battle between the new guy and the legacies. On the other hand, the big guys don;t have DirectTV and XM radio with leather seats as well as a full compliment of snacks and drinks. The customer will ultimately decide the winner in this.

daron4000

Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:39 am

Quoting PropilotJW (Reply 24):
wow... this will be interesting to see what routes from ORD B6 would serve if ORD really is announced. It could be quite the battle between the new guy and the legacies. On the other hand, the big guys don;t have DirectTV and XM radio with leather seats as well as a full compliment of snacks and drinks. The customer will ultimately decide the winner in this.

No, but they do have international flights, first class, hourly flights, service to LGA/EWR, Economy plus, better FFP, and tons of loyal customers.

nopeotone

Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:40 am

Is there any other B6 employee that can confirm this? If so, good for Jetblue and ORD. Jetblue needs to enter the Chicago market. Just wondering if this is an extended rumour or another jetblue employee has proof of this. Its about time though that Jetblue comes to the midwest.

piercey

Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:42 am

Quoting B6DC10 (Reply 16):
I am sure that people will look beyond the legacy carriers after being under their thumb for so many years

Yes, all the evil legacy carriers  sarcastic 

uhh... You do realize that someone could drive 2 hrs north to MKE for YX, 2 1/2 hrs east for G8, or, better yet, cross town and get on WN over at MDW, which has all but an official hub there. Get some facts before you post biased stuff like that.
Well I believe it all is coming to an end. Oh well, I guess we are gonna pretend.

jetbluefan1

Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:07 am

I would expect an announcement tomorrow. Something big is supposed to be happening with the website as well, so it only makes sense for Chicago service to be announced. Not to mention, I don't think Friday is the best day to announce new service.

JetBluefan1

stirling

Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:14 am

Quoting Daron4000 (Reply 25):
No, but they do have international flights, first class, hourly flights, service to LGA/EWR, Economy plus, better FFP, and tons of loyal customers

That may be all well and good, but it is assuming all the passengers will be "Chicago-centric".
Remember, jetBlue is a New York City airline, that is where their following resides. This flight (if it indeed happens) will depend initially on the loyalty base that exists currently in the Tri-State region. Yes, I said, and meant to include CT and NJ.
Whether this route loses money in the beginning is besides the point. A national carrier cannot ignore the nation's third largest metro forever. I would wager a guess it is probably the most requested new city being vocalized by the jetBlue faithful.
Delete this User

jetblueatjfk

Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:38 am

Well it's about time they get into ORD. Most likely they will have like 6X to JFK and then maybe have the other 2X to BOS or maybe a place like MCO. But on the other hand I have a feeling they will just through all 8X to JFK on the 190 and then each additonal slot they get they will put towards connecting the dots.

So what up with the new website thing? When is that due to come on?

When is the ORD announcement due to be out Thursday or Friday?

B6jfk airplane 

FA4B6

Thu Sep 21, 2006 12:08 pm

Well, from my end of things, we posted a memo (from our CEO) in the Inflight Crew Lounge at JFK for 4 Inflight Crewmembers to work a "high profile, high media, mystery flight". It departs JFK at 0800 and arrives in JFK at 1400. It says to "dress to the 9's". Hmmm.

[Edited 2006-09-21 05:39:05]

[Edited 2006-09-21 05:39:56]
"Leap! And the net will appear."

kanebear

Thu Sep 21, 2006 12:17 pm

Quoting FWAERJ (Reply 13):
AA is still bitter over losing the LGB battle to B6, so I wouldn't expect that JetBlue's gates at ORD would be subleased from AA. But, then again, stranger things have happened...

I wouldn't bet on that. If there's money to be made, especially as tight as things are now, AA will likely go for the $$$. AMR and AA have ALWAYS been very pragmatic when it came to business opportunities. They don't like WN much either but it doesn't stop AA from publishing their in-flight magazine. That's some bitter irony; WN's anti-Wright editorials and AA's pro-Wright editorials rolling off the very same presses.

bigdrewfl

Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:34 pm

What ever it is its going to happen this Friday AM!!!

jetBlueNYFL

Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:34 pm

No, but they do have international flights, first class, hourly flights, service to LGA/EWR, Economy plus, better FFP, and tons of loyal customers.

International flights - ok. Well, people also connect to international flights from jetBlue flights even though there is no agreement with other airlines in terms of check baggage. However, there has been talk of a possible alliance earlier this year - I would expect one at jetBlue within 18 months. Many international airlines are interested in jetBlue's route network.

First Class - Come on, everyone knows that domestic first class on a 730-mile hop these days is nothing more than a joke. With jetBlue, it's not "first class" but you're treated really well, especially for a 1 hr. 40 min. flight like JFK-ORD. This did US good on the CLT-NYC flights. US didn't think jetBlue would stick around on this route...in the mean time, loads have been great and at nice-yielding fares!

Hourly Flights - OK, so jetBlue won't have the extremely high frequency, but 8X a day is pretty good. Not to mention the fares will be competitive.

Service to LGA/EWR - Wow, I can't think of any reason why I'd rather fly into EWR. That airport is a mess and the ground delays are just horrible. LGA, on the other hand, is good for those wishing to be closer to NYC, but LGA also has its share of delays due to the runway situation. JFK is just an easier airport. While not as close to NYC as LGA, it is easy to get into NYC by utilizing the following options: AirTrain, cabs, car service and the U.S. Helicopter service from T9 to Wall St. in 8 minutes...a little more expensive, but quick. Also, not the whole world needs to be in NYC - JFK serves Queens, Brooklyn and Long Island pretty well.

Economy Plus - Same seat, more legroom...big deal on a 730-mile hop. jetBlue offers a very comfortable seat for everyone.

Better FFP - Who are you to judge? Each FFP serves the unique needs of all different kinds of travelers. TrueBlue works great for me, while AAdvantage works great for others.

Tons of loyal customers - ?????? Please. I don't think "loyal" is an appropriate word here. Sure, AA and UA have loyal customers - but so does jetBlue!!!!! jetBlue is usually raved about all over...they have one of the LOWEST complaint rates to the DOT, unlike AA and UA.

Quoting JetBlueAtJFK (Reply 30):
Most likely they will have like 6X to JFK and then maybe have the other 2X to BOS or maybe a place like MCO. But on the other hand I have a feeling they will just through all 8X to JFK on the 190 and then each additonal slot they get they will put towards connecting the dots.

I thought about 6X to JFK and 2X to BOS, but I don't think it will happen. ORD is obviously a business market, and therefore frequency is needed. I think BOS is too competitive for this route and 2x would not do the trick. BOS has seen this issue with PIT and AUS frequencies. jetBlue learned that mistake.

Quoting JetBlueAtJFK (Reply 30):
So what up with the new website thing? When is that due to come on?

I hear the new website should debut sometime today (Thurs.)!! I also hear some pretty nice features will be introduced....again, the jetBlue experience is further enhanced!!
jetBlue...Bringing Humanity Back To Air Travel!

bigdrewfl

Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:40 pm

Watch it be LAX.....

nopeotone

Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:47 pm

So ORD is a positive thing? And a new website for Jetblue? Wow, busy week for them. JetblueNYFL: I have a question for you.

Quoting JetBlueNYFL (Reply 34):
I think BOS is too competitive for this route and 2x would not do the trick. BOS has seen this issue with PIT and AUS frequencies. jetBlue learned that mistake.

Are the flights to PIT and AUS not doing well then to BOS? Are the loads doing okay? Sorry, just didn't know, seemed interesting when I read that.

jetBlueNYFL

Thu Sep 21, 2006 2:09 pm

Quoting Nopeotone (Reply 36):
Are the flights to PIT and AUS not doing well then to BOS? Are the loads doing okay? Sorry, just didn't know, seemed interesting when I read that.

I'm not sure. But since they are primarily business routes, I have heard the times and frequencies don't work for most people. AUS-BOS does not have great loads from what I hear. On the other hand, AUS-JFK does have decent loads. And I bet many people actually route AUS-JFK-BOS just for the times, even though it means making a connection.

Nonetheless, this thread is about a Chicago rumor, and it will be great news if/when it happens.

And launching the website does not add to a busy week for them...it's great news, but it's not like jetBlue has their hands full. The website has been planned for some time.
jetBlue...Bringing Humanity Back To Air Travel!

777fan

Thu Sep 21, 2006 2:53 pm

Quoting PropilotJW (Reply 24):
On the other hand, the big guys don;t have DirectTV and XM radio with leather seats as well as a full compliment of snacks and drinks. The customer will ultimately decide the winner in this.

I'm guessing that most FFers will see that B6's perks (on a 2 hour max flight) aren't worth as much as a robust FF program and connections around the globe. Oh, BTW, UA offers XM programming...and Channel 9!

Quoting JetBlueNYFL (Reply 34):
First Class - Come on, everyone knows that domestic first class on a 730-mile hop these days is nothing more than a joke. With jetBlue, it's not "first class" but you're treated really well, especially for a 1 hr. 40 min.

Does anyone really care about anything other than getting from points A to B on a 1 hr 40 minute flight?! Looks like B6 will have their work cut out for them if ORD-JFK is indeed the announcement. It's a bold decision that will be fought by UA and AA from day one, minute one. Personally, I don't need the creature comforts on a flight that short and would rather reap the benefits provided by easy connections (particularly international, if applicable), FF benefits, frequency and competitive fares. Then again, what do I know? I'm just a year round, business oriented frequent flier!

777fan
DC-8 61/63/71 DC-9-30/50 MD-80/82/83 DC-10-10/30 MD-11 717 721/2 732/3/4/5/G/8/9 741/2/4 752 762/3 777 A306/319/20/33 AT

BN727

Thu Sep 21, 2006 2:56 pm

Who knows for sure what JetBlue will do next....One thing's for sure...If Jetblue announces JFK-ORD.... You can bet Delta will announce the same within hours...Seems to be current trend for Delta domestic business plan out of JFK...Just do as Jetblue...Did Delta not learn from failure of "Song? Things that make you go...."Hmmmmm."

unitednrt

Thu Sep 21, 2006 3:41 pm

Quoting BN727 (Reply 39):

Delta already operates the JFK-ORD stage with CRJ-700 frames through Delta Connection.
"...That's a lovely name. My name's Milton; Milton Ettenheim, but my friends call me Bubbles."

ordpia

Thu Sep 21, 2006 3:48 pm

new site is up, nothing about ORD yet.
Concorde 146 727 737 73G 742 744 752 753 762 763 772 773 300 319 320 321 343 346 CRJ ERJ ATR ATP CL604 LJ45 LJ60 BD700

jacobin777

Thu Sep 21, 2006 4:45 pm

Quoting 777fan (Reply 38):

Does anyone really care about anything other than getting from points A to B on a 1 hr 40 minute flight?! Looks like B6 will have their work cut out for them if ORD-JFK is indeed the announcement. It's a bold decision that will be fought by UA and AA from day one, minute one. Personally, I don't need the creature comforts on a flight that short and would rather reap the benefits provided by easy connections (particularly international, if applicable), FF benefits, frequency and competitive fares. Then again, what do I know? I'm just a year round, business oriented frequent flier!

checkmark ....being an AA fflyer and getting seats/service I want..not to mention Admirals Club service at ORD (which I used yesterday evening) and JFK, interlining, etc....I'm 95% sure B6 won't be getting any of my business anytime soon.. no ..

and there are tens of thousands of people who are basically thinking the same way....
"Up the Irons!"

WMUPilot

Thu Sep 21, 2006 6:35 pm

Well no matter where the destination is, it is sure to prove a big battle ground. If it is ORD then I, as well as everybody else on here, believe it will be a hard uphill battle to gain customers out of a very loyal UA and AA base in ORD. Not to mention WN and FL are just down Cicero avenue, will surley put up a huge find as well. Hopefully we learned from ATL, if it is ORD, if not we may be sent packing very quickly.

In ATL we where creamed by 2 airlines, in ORD there will be 4, not including United Express and American Eagle.

I still can't confirm or deny ORD but I have heard about a huge announcement that is suppose to come out of Friday, what it exactly entails, I don't know, but it should be interesting.
JetBlue - Bringing humanity back to air travel

FWAERJ

Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:11 pm

Quoting FA4B6 (Reply 31):
It departs JFK at 0800 and arrives in JFK at 1400.

Quoting Bigdrewfl (Reply 35):
Watch it be LAX.....

With the way the timetable for the mystery flight is set up, it can't be LAX.

As we all know, JFK-LAX is a 5 hour flight, and the time for the arrival of the return flight at JFK is 5 hours after the flight first departed from JFK for the "mystery city". Maybe B6 has strapped supersonic jet engines onto an A320 to make it possible... but I doubt it.

[Edited 2006-09-21 15:21:51]
"Did he really need the triple bypass? Or was it the miles?"

ckfred

Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:07 pm

I'm not sure where B6 can find gate space at ORD. UA and the City went to court over lease payments and whether UA had to give up gate space because it wasn't running enough flights through them. UA won, so I don't see giving up space.

AA has cut back mainline flying, but several gates on H have been turned over to Eagle.

Not only is DL flying JFK-ORD, but so is Eagle.

I've read several times that B6 doesn't want into ORD, unless it can get 4 or 5 gates, because B6 wants a Midwest focus city. Supposedly, B6 wants to fly from ORD to LAS, LGB, BOS, and other cities, and not just a spoke on the JFK hub.

bigdrewfl

Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:13 pm

Quoting FWAERJ (Reply 44):
Watch it be LAX.....

With the way the timetable for the mystery flight is set up, it can't be LAX.

As we all know, JFK-LAX is a 5 hour flight, and the time for the arrival of the return flight at JFK is 5 hours after the flight first departed from JFK for the "mystery city". Maybe B6 has strapped supersonic jet engines onto an A320 to make it possible... but I doubt it.

I was just kidding......if someone seen Chicago in flight speed then Chicago it is. Nice to see that somehow we got gates there!

Cadet57

Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:50 pm

Watch it be LAX.....

rotfl 
Doors open, right hand side, next stop is Springfield.

ctbarnes

Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:56 pm

Quoting Ckfred (Reply 45):
I've read several times that B6 doesn't want into ORD, unless it can get 4 or 5 gates, because B6 wants a Midwest focus city. Supposedly, B6 wants to fly from ORD to LAS, LGB, BOS, and other cities, and not just a spoke on the JFK hub.

ORD-OAK, Pleeeeeeeeeaaase!  pray 

Charles, SJ
The customer isn't a moron, she is your wife -David Ogilvy

vivavegas

Fri Sep 22, 2006 1:05 am

SRQ~~~!!!

Is this the ORD announcement?? -
"JetBlue Adds Its Seventh Destination to the Sunshine State: Now Serving Sarasota Bradenton"
http://biz.yahoo.com/pz/060921/105586.html

Craig
MKE

[Edited 2006-09-21 18:08:24]
MKE / EYW / LAS - The true trifecta of aviation!