Carfield
Topic Author

Will The Coup Affect Opening Of New BKK Airport

Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:59 am

Just curious... if the military coup will delay the opening of the new BKK airport! The coup looks pretty peaceful and nothing seems to be going wrong, but then since the new BKK airport is a major project of the former/exile prime minister, will the new BKK airport no longer being "rushed" to be opened to save Thaksin's face? And will a more realistic transition take place? or the new airport will simply suffer more delays?

Any insights from fellow a.netters in Thailand?

carfield

echster

RE: Will The Coup Affect Opening Of New BKK Airport

Thu Sep 21, 2006 12:21 pm

I'm to lazy to search for it on the net, but I read an article today that General Sonthi said Suvarnabhumi will open as scheduled.

satx

Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:17 pm

At this point what critical part still requires completion before the airport can be opened for business? Any delay should be fairly minimal in my view. It may not open in September, but sometime in October is quite possible and November should see most of the early bugs worked out. I'd say plan your next trip for December and you should arrive at the new airport with everything more or less functional. Too bad the BTS can't yet reach BKK, but taxi's are still cheap by Western standards. Catch a Mercedes to your 5* hotel and leave the BTS for your next trip.
Open Season on Consumer Protections is Just Around the Corner...

satx

RE: Will The Coup Affect Opening Of New BKK Airpor

Thu Sep 21, 2006 3:41 pm

Quote:

Airport's opening still on for next Thursday

AMORNRAT MAHITTHIROOK

The new Suvarnabhumi airport's official opening will take place next Thursday as scheduled despite the Thaksin government's downfall, officials said yesterday. In a meeting with the agencies concerned yesterday, transport permanent secretary Wanchai Sarathulthat said that the airport's commercial opening would go ahead as planned.

All airlines have been instructed to relocate their operations from Don Muang airport to Suvarnabhumi and their winter flight schedules have been set, he said.

More...

http://www.bangkokpost.net/News/21Sep2006_news20.php

satx

Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:22 pm

Quote:

Suvarnabhumi Airport will start full operation on September 28, 2006 according to the schedule, said Gen Sonthi Boonyaratglin today.

Earlier, there were speculations that the coup might further delay the opening of the new airport.

Airports of Thailand Plc (AOT) officials also confirmed that Suvarnabhumi Airport would start full operation as scheduled of September 28, 2006.

http://www.bangkokairportonline.com/taxonomy/term/1

HB-IWC

Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:53 pm

Here at Garuda Indonesia, we have to day received confirmation that the opening of the new airport will go ahead as planned. Our last flight out of Don Muang will be on Spetember 27 and our first flight into Suvarnabhumi will be on the next day. I think the sitation in Thailand is seriously overhyped. Life seems to be going on pretty much as normal, and none of the airlines' operations has been affected a single bit by the recent political events.

satx

Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:56 pm

Quoting HB-IWC (Reply 5):
Life seems to be going on pretty much as normal, and none of the airlines' operations has been affected a single bit by the recent political events.

Some airlines apparently had minor delays or even cancelled flights (Emirates, for example) but they did this on their own and not because they were prevented from operating flights by anyone else.

VTBDflyer

Fri Sep 22, 2006 6:10 am

You would think that it would delay the opening, but I'm not too sure. I have some friends there (I'm in the US now) who are insiders in the whole project and no word from them. I would suspect that they would try extremely hard to have it open on Sept 28.

VTBDflyer
Fly Thai