carnoc

Woman Makes A Scene Over Yogurt At Airport

Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:51 pm

A middle-aged businesswoman was fined 200 yuan (US$25) and had her boarding pass cancelled after she made a scene and tried to attack security staff at China's Chongqing Airport late last week.

She was stopped at a boarding gate for trying to take a whole box of yogurt, containing 24 packs of the drink, onto the plane. This surpassed the authorities' limit by a considerable margin.

To the security staff's surprise, she opened some of the drinks and poured them onto the ground, threw herself into one security guard and clawed him with her sharp nails.

Source: http://en.carnoc.com/list/1/1043.html

Regards.

leftshoe

RE: Woman Makes A Scene Over Yogurt At Airport

Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:41 pm

Do you have an idea why she did that?

I mean, is yogurt really something that important?

Quoting Carnoc (Thread starter):
This surpassed the authorities' limit by a considerable margin.

And is there a "limit" for taking yogurt on board in China?

Is this "limit" security related or does it have other reasons?

mspguy

Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:27 pm

Quoting Leftshoe (Reply 1):
Do you have an idea why she did that?

She must be off her meds!!!!!!!!!!! It amazes me that in today's age of airport security that people still behave like this!!!!!!
If it ain't broke, DON'T touch it!!!!

Bobski

Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:31 pm

She must really love her yoghurt, that is one crazy lady!

Maybe it was laced with cocaine, thus making it addictive and causing her to act crazy when she was told she couldn't have it?

(Do not flame, I speak in jest)
Who is Benjamin Breeg?

dgehfx

Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:37 pm

I flew from PEK to PVG in December of last year on CA. At the security inspection I was required to leave behind an unopened can of juice (purchased in China). Liquids seemed to be the most important threat to security at the time - many months before LHR's issue with liquids and gels.
My suspicion is that the yoghurt was considered just as dangerous as my juice and that's why it was forbidden.

carnoc

Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:06 am

Is this "limit" security related or does it have other reasons?

Hi Leftshoe,

To the best of my knowledge, the 'limit' for China's domestic flights is that passengers should only bring liquids through the security screening points after being identified as non-dangerous (which means they must be opened for inspection, if the passenger insist not to open the package, then it has to be left at the security screening points), most security staff would ask people to drink it if it is a drink like water etc., or otherwise test the liquid by utilising other means (usually by smell etc.). And, this is for security purpose. This nationwide policy was introduced a few months after the plane crash (in Dalian, China) on 7th May 2002.

Regards.

[Edited 2006-09-21 17:09:19]

Lufthansa747

Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:36 am

Well, considering they make you throw away any liquids... I guess so. Well actually they don't require that, some idiot 3 years ago made me taste a can of Diet Coke and shouted something as I threw it to the nearest trash can after that. So the lady in the story could have opened them all and carried on I guess.

Quoting MSPGUY (Reply 2):
She must be off her meds!!!!!!!!!!! It amazes me that in today's age of airport security that people still behave like this!!!!!!

Today's age, 9-11, other crap. Yeah... whatever.

We had a military coup here two days ago, and the result was the bars were open longer the next day. Just relax. Big grin

Quoting Dgehfx (Reply 4):
At the security inspection I was required to leave behind an unopened can of juice (purchased in China). Liquids seemed to be the most important threat to security at the time - many months before LHR's issue with liquids and gels.

Exactly - after some moron who possibly can't even read the boarding pass in the two seconds he looks at it, but stamps it anyway. Chinese airport departure procedure has to be the stupidest I have ever seen:

Customs clearance, pay tax, check-in, departure immigration, then this liquid sensitive screening with people who don't speak a word of English... In the process you collect about 32 stamps in the darned boarding pass.

God bless the European airports where you swipe your card in a machine, get a BP and 3 minutes later you sit in the lounge.
Air Asia Super Elite, Cebu Pacific Titanium

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos