Are This Airlines Safe Or Not?

Sat Jul 01, 2000 9:55 am

I heard somewhere that this airlines were not to safe to fly on. Is this right?? How is their saftey record??

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © Søren Geertsen

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © Ted Quackenbush

senliture

RE: Are This Airlines Safe Or Not?

Sat Jul 01, 2000 10:21 am

hum...OZ is good, seldom has fatal accidents, at least in the past few years, they didn't
KE is not bad, seldom has fatal accidents in these years, but she did crashed. No passengers were killed, coz that's a Cargo flighter.  

OZ is much better than KE of course! KE did crashed in these years, at least 2 cargo flighters (one in ShangHai, another in London). OZ is one of the best airlines in the World.

Peter

Sat Jul 01, 2000 12:05 pm

Asiana is safe. Korean Air has had alot of crashes in the past few years. They have been trying to improve saftey, and have spent, I think, over $100 million. I don't think Korean Air is safe yet, but in the near future, I think that Korean air will be safe.

cedarjet

Sat Jul 01, 2000 8:31 pm

Korean Air have lost four 747s - one undershot at Seoul in 1980, one was shot down in 1983, one undershot at Guam in 1998, and one rolled over and crashed after taking off from London (STN) due to a failed instrument. A further 747 landed but was declared a write-off after pieces of the trailing edge flaps detached and struck the fuselage. They also lost at least two 707s, one shot down in 1980 and one sabotaged in the early 80s. And a couple of A300s in landing accidents, and an MD80.

An Aussie mate knew I collect airline cutlery and flew Korean Air to London. He brought me (I should say 'stole') a few items off the various meal services he enjoyed. A pilot friend of mine who knows what goes on at Korean Air saw the items in question and was moved to remark, "I didn't know anyone had ever lived to collect the full set!" I wouldn't go near them if I were you.

BTW, Asiana have an excellent safety record, and since they have profited so much from Korean Air's woes, I think it is more in their interest than most to remain a 'safe' airline. I think they pranged a 737-400 but that's all. Having said that, they have a smaller fleet and they've been around a lot less that KE. But they're supposed to be good and I know their insurance premiums are about half KE's, according to a friend of mine in the reinsurance business.
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

goingboeing

Sat Jul 01, 2000 10:05 pm

oh goody, pictures. Hey guys, I'm trying to avoid topics with pictures, but the title sure doesn't sound like there would be pictures.

Sun Jul 02, 2000 4:41 am

How do we change our username? I am going to sentence you to life in prison.

FLY777UAL

Sun Jul 02, 2000 4:45 am

Didn't Korean lose a DC-10 in Libya in the 70's/80's?

F L Y 7 7 7 U A L

ZRH

RE: Anti_Egyptair

Sun Jul 02, 2000 5:50 am

To Anti_Egyptair: Hey it is a good idea if you want to change your username. You only have to register again, not difficult and it is free.
Sorry to all readers for not staying with the topic, but I think it is better if this young man wants to change his username.

jon

Sun Jul 02, 2000 6:28 am

I only flew on Korean Air once, in July 1997. I flew from Kimhae (Pusan) to Kimpo (Seoul) and I was the only American on the flight. They played some kind of Elvis greatest hits collection on the entertainment system of the Airbus (Believe it was an A320) we were flying. After the flight the pilot asked me if I liked the music. I just thought that was the neatest thing. And the landing was the smoothest I have ever had. I know they don't have the best safety record but I wanted to share this one experience with you all.