Topic Author

Jet Airways Europe/US Plans

Sat Sep 23, 2006 2:52 am

New routes could include:

LHR-Bangalore
Flights to BHX/NEMA/MAN/Paris/Rome/ZRH
India-MUC-YYZ
Mumbai-BRU-NYC (FINALLY!!!)

All UK flights would be turnaround and not cntinue to the US/Canada due to strong UK-India demand

Quote:
UK and Ireland general manager Emmanuel Menu said: “We want to become the key player between the UK and India.”

The carrier operates twice a day from Heathrow to Mumbai, daily to Delhi and began flying three times a week to Amritsar a month ago. Its next route will be to Bangalore.

Menu declined to name the regional airports under consideration, but they are likely to be Birmingham, Nottingham East Midlands and Manchester.

Quote:
However, Jet’s main target for expansion is North America. It plans an extensive network from India, flying via a series of European airports. Menu said: “The demand for UK-India is sufficient to cover a turnaround operation.”

The first route, likely to be launched next year, will be Mumbai to New York via Brussels. Jet had planned to commence this last year, but was held up by a delay in US regulatory approval - partly due to a legal challenge from a firm with the same name.

Next up is likely to be a service to Toronto via Munich, and the carrier is considering routes via Paris, Rome and Zurich.

http://www.travelweekly.co.uk/Articl...ys+take+on+UK+to+India+market.html
Visit the Air Humberside Website and Forum

A342

RE: Jet Airways Europe/US Plans

Sat Sep 23, 2006 4:45 am

Quoting Humberside (Thread starter):
India-MUC-YYZ

It was known they were looking at BOM-MUC, but continuing the flight to YYZ ??? Is there a lack of capacity on YYZ-MUC ?
Exceptions confirm the rule.

karan69

Sat Sep 23, 2006 9:25 pm

Quoting A342 (Reply 1):
It was known they were looking at BOM-MUC, but continuing the flight to YYZ ??? Is there a lack of capacity on YYZ-MUC ?

makes sense mate, there is definitly not enough O & D for year round terminator flights between India and Germany.

Karan

jfk777

Sat Sep 23, 2006 10:16 pm

Jet Air has 773ER's coming, why no nonstops to the USA or Canada? Stopping in what is becoming a nonstop market in umcompetitive.

HAWK21M

Sat Sep 23, 2006 11:42 pm

Quoting Jfk777 (Reply 3):

Jet Air has 773ER's coming, why no nonstops to the USA or Canada

Not get cleared to launch to US.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

A342

Sun Sep 24, 2006 12:05 am

Quoting Karan69 (Reply 2):
makes sense mate, there is definitly not enough O & D for year round terminator flights between India and Germany.

I think you misunderstood me. I know very well there is a market for BOM-MUC and BOM-YYZ, but AC already flies YYZ-MUC and I wonder if the yields/loads are so good on that leg.
Exceptions confirm the rule.

behramjee

Sun Sep 24, 2006 1:06 am

9W has never once indicated any interest to serve USA/CANADA nonstop from India.

Always they had maintained their interest to serve ONE STOP flights to Canada and USA to take advantage of 5th freedom rights and no pay load restrictions that a B 773ER might incur on BOM-NYC/ORD/IAD/YYZ-BOM nonstop routes.

I find BOM-MUC-YYZ a very interesting routing...however I would have prefered BOM-GVA-YYZ as this has more potential in the premium cabins especially.

Apart from BLR-LHR which deserves a nonstop A 332 at least 5 times a week...they should seriously dedicate 1 A 332 to fly HYD-LHR nonstop as the demand and yield is there + feeder traffic via LHR from USA/CANADA through VS/AC/UA SPA interlining agreements.

sshank

Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:04 am

Despite losing a boat load on the LHR operations, 9W's UK obsession continues unabated...

Quoting Humberside (Thread starter):
New routes could include:

LHR-Bangalore
Flights to BHX/NEMA/MAN/Paris/Rome/ZRH
India-MUC-YYZ
Mumbai-BRU-NYC (FINALLY!!!)

All UK flights would be turnaround and not cntinue to the US/Canada due to strong UK-India demand

Quote:
UK and Ireland general manager Emmanuel Menu said: “We want to become the key player between the UK and India.”

The carrier operates twice a day from Heathrow to Mumbai, daily to Delhi and began flying three times a week to Amritsar a month ago. Its next route will be to Bangalore.

Menu declined to name the regional airports under consideration, but they are likely to be Birmingham, Nottingham East Midlands and Manchester.

http://www.travelweekly.co.uk/Articl....html

blrsea

Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:19 am

Have Jet tied up with any other airline for onward connections to US from LHR?

LAXintl

Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:40 am

Lets see how the DOT responds this time to Jet's plans to serve the US.

The last attempt to launch NY services got bogged down with allegations of connections between Jet Aiways and financing provided by an alleged Al-Qaeda terrorist suspect.

Also Jet Airways needs to clarify the usage of its name in the US, as its currently registered to a Maryland based company which strongly objected to the carriers application and use of the name while serving the US market.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

Humberside
Topic Author

Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:50 am

Quoting Blrsea (Reply 8):

UA I think

Do Jet and bmi have a interline deal at LHR and Mumbai? I think it would be great if the smallest two competitors on LHR-India teamed up. bmi could offer onward connections at Mumbai as well
Visit the Air Humberside Website and Forum

behramjee

Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:58 am

Quoting Blrsea (Reply 8):

9W has trans-atlantic interline agreements via LHR with Virgin Atlantic and United Airlines only.

Yes 9W expected to lose money on the LHR route for the first 2 years of operations...such losses on newly started long haul routes is expected for most airlines as aviation analysts always predict that it takes 2-3 years for a new long haul route to mature and eventually breakeven.

Concorde001

Sun Sep 24, 2006 3:51 am

Quoting Sshank (Reply 7):
Despite losing a boat load on the LHR operations, 9W's UK obsession continues unabated...

Does anyone know if the lease costs of SA's A343s has anything to with the unprofitability of their UK flights?
As far as I'm aware, BA's India flights seem to be profitable - BA have publicly stated, particularly Willie Walsh, that increased flights to India and China have helped boost profits - VS have stated the same.

Does anyone know if AI or BD's flights are profitable?