dj1986

C-172 Incident At Naples While Landing

Sat Sep 23, 2006 8:46 am

A C-172 (N320CP I'm not sure) was sliding off the runway while landing on runway 14. It looked like the nose wheel broke off as well as some other damage to the nose, I'm not sure about the prop. Nothing happend to the student pilot on a solo flight. The airport was closed for about 5 min because there is also construction going on runway 5-23.
Don't know what happend maye he was coming in to fast or a wind gust?
US Airways I miss you!

Jpax

RE: C-172 Incident At Naples While Landing

Sat Sep 23, 2006 9:05 am

My guess is that he stopped flying the plane when the plane wasn't done flying. Even though the plane has touched the runway, there is still quite a bit of flying/driving to do, which maybe he wasn't well enough versed in?

[/blunt assumption]

Hopefully that was not his first solo.  Wink

MeanGreen

Sat Sep 23, 2006 11:30 am

Maybe the Shimmy Damper scared him. Sadly all of my time is in 172s and that thing scared me when I first started to fly. When the nose comes down sometimes the nose wheel virbrates and you think something is broken. He could have not known what was happening and failed to react and ran off the runway. Coming into fast should be a problem if he had a lot of runway, and if it was his solo flight chances are the instructor chose somewhere with a long runway (mine was at KAFW for that very reason, a lot of runway!) glad the student was ok.

futurecaptain

Sat Sep 23, 2006 12:30 pm

Quoting Dj1986 (Thread starter):
It looked like the nose wheel broke off as well as some other damage to the nose

Wow. Those Cessna's are very well built and can take alot of punishment. He must have really landed hard or gone off the runway with some good momentum to break off the gear.
AirSO. ASpaceO. ASOnline. ASO.com ASO. ASO. ASO. ASO. ASO.

dj1986

Sat Sep 23, 2006 1:04 pm

Quoting Futurecaptain (Reply 3):
Wow. Those Cessna's are very well built and can take alot of punishment. He must have really landed hard or gone off the runway with some good momentum to break off the gear.

That's right Cessna's do take a lot of punishment from students and they are still fine. I don't know but maybe he nose wheeled it pretty hard so that the structure of the gear got a crack.
US Airways I miss you!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos