daron4000

MIA Concourse J- Opening Date?

Sun Sep 24, 2006 5:43 am

Star Alliance, since opening the NRT terminal, has said MIA will follow in the co-terminal footsteps, which of course, is Concourse J. Does anyone have any information as to when this concourse should be opening up?

zippyjet

RE: MIA Concourse J- Opening Date?

Sun Sep 24, 2006 5:44 am

I heard somewhere February of 2007. I forgot where but, from going through H concourse at MIA last month. J looks well on its way toward opening.
I'm Zippyjet & I approve of this message!

sflaflight

Sun Sep 24, 2006 4:32 pm

Thank Goodness. Let me tell you that after landing in F on Ted last week we are really ready for the new terminal. F looks like something out of a fourth world country.

P.S. It was raining that day. Both outside and inside! How embarrasing especially since lufthansa was there. Those poof Germans must have thought they got off in the wrong country!

A

A388

Sun Sep 24, 2006 7:57 pm

Concourse J will be the only terminal in MIA that can handle the A380 so AF and VS will also be using this terminal when they start A380 service to MIA (which I heard they will). So the J Concourse is not entirely a Star Alliance terminal only. Are there enough Star Alliance flights to MIA to warrant the J Concourse to be fully used the entire day? AFAIK there are not that many Star Alliance (daily) flights to MIA.

A388

jfk777

Sun Sep 24, 2006 10:32 pm

Star alliance in Miami is almost a non-entity. UA has a few TED flights, Varig, Air Canada and Lufthansa. AC has a few daily flights to Canada with more in the winter season. Lufthansa has one 744 daily to FRA, no MUC flight yet. VG is no flying at the present time, so who knows. SAS, ANA, SAA(hope they returm to MIA), ANZ and SIA don't fly to Miami. I think they will share the new concourse J with other airlines.

daron4000

Mon Sep 25, 2006 12:03 am

I've heard that Star has a deal where they have to have a certain amount of flights daily, which they will abide by. Of course, the whole concept was made when UA still flew to South America etc. However, as in another post, I could see them bringing back mainline or adding a few more flights, plus possibly one to SFO/LAX. Remember, even with the connecting pax from South America, UA was running 3-class 763's to SFO/ORD from MIA.

dj1986

Mon Sep 25, 2006 12:48 am

Quoting Jfk777 (Reply 4):
Star alliance in Miami is almost a non-entity. UA has a few TED flights, Varig, Air Canada and Lufthansa. AC has a few daily flights to Canada with more in the winter season. Lufthansa has one 744 daily to FRA, no MUC flight yet. VG is no flying at the present time, so who knows. SAS, ANA, SAA(hope they returm to MIA), ANZ and SIA don't fly to Miami. I think they will share the new concourse J with other airlines.

Don't forget US. They have the biggest operations of all Star Alliance Carriers in MIA. MUC won't be coming back in the future because MIA-ZRH is an LX/LH flight now and it is going up to a daily flight in October. But I have read in some Austrian article (they same that mentioned it's plans leaving Star) that they have plans to use one of the 777 for a VIE-MIA service in the future. I remeber that NG was flying VIE-MUC-MIA and it was a really great way to go to MIA with the outstanding Amadeus service they offered.
US Airways I miss you!