KarlB737
Topic Author

Comair Crash Survivor Has Leg Amputated

Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:07 am

Courtesy: Associated Press

Comair Crash Survivor Has Leg Amputated

"he does not remember the accident that killed 49 people, his family said Monday."

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...=OHTOL&SECTION=US&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

MD88Captain

RE: Comair Crash Survivor Has Leg Amputated

Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:14 am

Well there goes the career.

rikkus67

Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:19 am

This man has been through more than his fair share of difficulties in his life. I do hope he is able to recover as fully as possible.

...And, as always, my thoughts and prayers to the others on that flight, RIP
AC.WA.CP.DL.RW.CO.WG.WJ.WN.KI.FL.SK.ACL.UA.US.F9

aussieindc

Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:22 am

Quoting MD88Captain (Reply 1):

I have to admit, that was my FIRST thought as well. On the other hand, he's lucky to be alive so I don't think he'll be worrying too much about the career aspect.

Here's to a speedy recovery and personally, (I'll wait for the flames), I hope he doesn't regain his memory.

Charliejag1

Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:25 am

I also hope he remains in the dark about the accident as much as possible. Of course he will be dealing with it legally for some time, but I hope he doesn't ever remember it. Hopefully he can find another vocation after he has recovered and dug himself out of his hole with the FAA and the courts.

exarmywarrant

Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:25 am

Not to be insensitive, but I think his career was pretty well in the dumper anyway...

nkops

Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:30 am

Quoting Exarmywarrant (Reply 5):
Not to be insensitive, but I think his career was pretty well in the dumper anyway...

Agreed

I also hopes he does not remember, although I'm sure somewhere along the line it will be mentioned to him... hoping for a speedy recovery
GOOFY6

MD88Captain

Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:21 am

Is their a little face for irony? I guess I have to start using them.

Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:47 am

But not his life. He is a very lucky man to have survived to such an ugly accident.

I really hope he doesn't recover anything from that ugly moment. It will be worthless.

My best wishes.
Flying isn't dangerous. Crashing is what's dangerous!

QFSYD744

Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:49 am

Wasnt he at the helm of the flight at take-off, down the wrong runway?
I Still Call Australia Home

turpentyine

Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:07 pm

I believe the news said that he was at the controls.

Wsan581

Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:11 pm

Quoting KarlB737 (Thread starter):
"he does not remember the accident that killed 49 people, his family said Monday."

Let's hope he never remembers that ill fated day.  Sad
Blue Skies Ahead!!

F9Animal

Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:36 pm

Quoting QFSYD744 (Reply 9):
Wasnt he at the helm of the flight at take-off, down the wrong runway?

Yes, but he obviously had no control of steering. Too many ifs involved. I too hope he is able to move on, but how hard it would be to live a normal life after such a tragic incident. This guy is going to need serious therapy. I could never imagine the feelings and emotions he will face for the rest of his life. I am sure he knows what happened, as I would be asking why my leg is missing, and why I would need so many surgeries.
I Am A Different Animal!!

FLY2LIM

Tue Sep 26, 2006 2:06 pm

Quoting 797 (Reply 8):
But not his life. He is a very lucky man to have survived to such an ugly accident.

I believe this is the same person who survived being shot by his spouse a few years back. How many lives does this cat have?

FLY2LIM
Faucett. La primera linea aerea del Peru.

MCOflyer

Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:29 pm

I just pray for him everyday hoping he gets better. He can always find another job.

MCOflyer
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.

cityguy

Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:46 pm

Compassion gentlemen..."if not for the grace of god, there go I.."

kc135topboom

Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:53 pm

Quoting Wsan581 (Reply 11):

Let's hope he never remembers that ill fated day.

Is that on the advice of his lawyer?

BNE

Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:54 pm

If the copilot doesn't remember now about the crash then he is not likely to remember any time in the future.

Here is hoping for a speedy recovery.
Why fly non stop when you can connect

deltadc9

Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:38 pm

Also revealed yesterday was the fact that all the wheels were on the ground when the plane reached the end of the runway. No rotation. The flight recorder stopped 4 seconds after that.

The judge ordered all construction halted until the families and their lawyers can visit the scene.

Also, the airline almost got cited for contempt. The judge was so pissed she was screaming and yelling in the courtroom because they are constantly late or no shows.

All drug tests came back negative. The co-pilot had very low levels of sudafed, that's it.

NTSB Preliminary Report:

http://www.realcities.com/multimedia/kentucky/pdfs/NTSB0925report.pdf
Dont take life too seriously because you will never get out of it alive - Bugs Bunny

fanoftristars

Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:40 pm

Quoting BNE (Reply 17):
If the copilot doesn't remember now about the crash then he is not likely to remember any time in the future.

Having experienced a tragic accident myself, that I don't remember, he probably will never remember the moment of inpact or the the seconds before.

Having said that, it's very possible he'll start remembering right up to the point of inpact. Over the years, I have remembered quite a bit about my bad day, right up to "inpact". A certain smell or the way the sun is on the horizon, and it will trigger my memory of what was happening.

I'm guessing that listening to the cockpit recording will bring a tragic rememberance of what was going on. I think his mind will always keep the worst part of this accident dark, if only to protect him from additional torment.

Remember the most important thing that separates us from animals is our ability to show compassion on one another. Best wishes to him, especially in this terrible time for him and his family.
"FLY DELTA JETS"

swaopsusafatc

Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:50 pm

I for one hope he flies again. With a prosthetic it is totally possible. I don't know if he will want to or if the FAA will/will not revoke his license but if he can keep it and he recovers and he wants to fly again I would stand behind him and would fly with him. Good luck to him. Don't get me wrong it is a horrible thing that happened but mistakes happen and unfortunately people die.

JAL

Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:32 pm

I wish him a speedy recovery and wish him and his all the best in the coming years!
Work Hard But Play Harder

United787

Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:14 am

Quoting Wsan581 (Reply 11):
Let's hope he never remembers that ill fated day.

I agree that he probably won't ever remember the events of that day, but ... I think if I were him, I would want to remember. He is going to be plagued for the rest of his life with the question of what happened, how did we make that mistake? If he could remember how they made the mistake of taking off from the wrong runway, perhaps then he could eventually come to peace that we are ALL human and we ALL make mistakes no matter how serious the consequences...we are ALL flawed. Just a thought...

Matheus

Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:29 am

Quoting Charliejag1 (Reply 4):
Of course he will be dealing with it legally for some time, but I hope he doesn't ever remember it.

No, he wont have any legal issue.
As the Brazil's FAR (RBHA) the investigation propose is not find a guilty (crew), it will just reveal why it happened and how it can be avoid on the future. On theory, the company or the FAA will be made responsible for the accident for not give the proper lessons for the pilots.
The FARs are standerized on almost all first level countries (Brazil included).

Matt

Findigenous

Wed Sep 27, 2006 1:21 am

Hey come on you guys, he does not have to remember it, but we KNOW that there was a departure from SOP's, no line-up check, failure to abort takeoff when it was obvious there was confusion about the runway having no lights... If I were him, I too would say I do not remember. It's just a hell of a lot easier than admitting that he too could have saved all those lives. To all of us who fly for a living, it's quite clear what went wrong. There are hardly any excuses to be made here.

[Edited 2006-09-26 18:23:34]

AirWillie6475

Wed Sep 27, 2006 2:11 am

Another media idiot who doesn't know how to write. I don't think the family included the 49 dead people in the statement. As much as I would like to take side of the pilots it was a very very stupid thing they did. I don't care if ATis and charts were not up to date they should know something as basic as locating a runway. I think it is not fair to the flying public who might not know how pilots operate and assume the 2 up front are well rested. If only the flying public knew what goes on with pilot schedules, the would never fly again. The FAA should consider this accident and require better rest time for pilots.

[Edited 2006-09-26 19:14:57]

flybynight

Wed Sep 27, 2006 2:37 am

Quoting BNE (Reply 17):

Actually the memories could come back at anytime. Trama such as that can suddenly spring forward. Or they may never come back.

If he was at the controls and it looks like pilot error, he could be facing some tough times beyond what he has already gone through.
I'm not sure how much blame he will have to take on versus what the airline will cover for him.
Heia Norge!

fraspotter

Wed Sep 27, 2006 3:22 am

Quoting Findigenous (Reply 24):
If I were him, I too would say I do not remember. It's just a hell of a lot easier than admitting that he too could have saved all those lives.

The guy is barely conscious and so doped up on drugs/anisthetics from the surgeries that of course he probably can't remember anything. Maybe when he recovers fully and has a clear state of mind, his memory might start to come back online...
"Taking off is optional. It’s landing that’s mandatory."

Jonno

Wed Sep 27, 2006 3:57 am

Anyone remember the hospital scene at the end of "Deliverance"? Might shed some light on the matter.

RichardPrice

Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:05 am

Quoting Matheus (Reply 23):
No, he wont have any legal issue.

If the investigation shows he was negligent, then you can bet your arse that he will end up with many lawsuits filed against him personally (I know NTSB investigation results cannot be used in a court of law, but if they come to one conclusion then its going to be almost trivial to come to the same conclusion in a court of law) along with the company.

Also theres the chance of a criminal charge being brought.

These arent necessarily my views, just unfortunate facts.

Mason747

Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:45 am

That is really sad. I hope he is able to find another career in aviation somewhere where he'll be around the excitment

fanoftristars

Wed Sep 27, 2006 5:01 am

Quoting AirWillie6475 (Reply 26):
If only the flying public knew what goes on with pilot schedules, the would never fly again.

Please enlighten us on pilot schedules! If only the unhealthy public knew what goes on with doctor's schedules, we'd never get sick or hurt! These guys are used to it. I don't feel one bit bad for their working schedule.

His schedule is far from the cause of this accident, in my own opinion!
"FLY DELTA JETS"

JBirdAV8r

Wed Sep 27, 2006 5:25 am

Quoting Fanoftristars (Reply 32):
Please enlighten us on pilot schedules! If only the unhealthy public knew what goes on with doctor's schedules, we'd never get sick or hurt! These guys are used to it. I don't feel one bit bad for their working schedule.

Physicians never make critical mistakes?

Especially ER docs?
I got my head checked--by a jumbo jet

TheSorcerer

Wed Sep 27, 2006 5:36 am

Depends how much of the leg was amputated. One of my dad's friends lost his left leg below the knee but is ERJ 135/145 chief pilot for a major UK airline.
I'll let u guess which one.  Wink

Dominic
ALITALIA,All Landings In Torino, All Luggage In Athens ;)

richm

Wed Sep 27, 2006 5:57 am

Poor guy, well good luck to him in the future.

AirWillie6475

Wed Sep 27, 2006 6:49 am

Wow, unless you are a regional pilot your statements can not be taken seriously.

We're Nuts

Wed Sep 27, 2006 7:19 am

My doctor works four days a week and lives on the beach. I picked the wrong career.
Dear moderators: No.

David L

Wed Sep 27, 2006 7:25 am

Quoting We're Nuts (Reply 37):
My doctor works four days a week and lives on the beach.

So he's a beach bum who's a part-time doctor.

jfklganyc

Wed Sep 27, 2006 8:01 am

"Please enlighten us on pilot schedules! If only the unhealthy public knew what goes on with doctor's schedules, we'd never get sick or hurt! These guys are used to it. I don't feel one bit bad for their working schedule."

Thank you Graphic Arts Designer! They say a picture is worth a thousand words . . . too bad that opinion isn't worth the 40 words it took to express it.

PJ

APFPilot1985

Wed Sep 27, 2006 8:23 am

in my own opinion!

and you know what they say about those, and yours is especially ripe
Stand Up and Be Counted Visit Site Related to Voice your opinion

DashTrash

Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:38 pm

You can't get used to a schedule that is ever changing and conflicts with your schedule outside of work.

777STL

Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:49 pm

Quoting Fanoftristars (Reply 31):

While his schedule may not have been the cause of this accident, regional pilots can have some pretty miserable schedules.
PHX based

Lemurs

Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:52 pm

Quoting Fanoftristars (Reply 31):

Uhh...ever hear of malpractice? Why use a profression where people die due to negligence and mistakes EVERY DAY as your proof that you should have no compassion for poor working conditions in another, otherwise very SAFE, industry?

(I'm not slamming on doctors here either...just saying this is all very hard...and that's without idiots trying and judging you from news snipets.)
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary, and those that don't.

fanoftristars

Wed Sep 27, 2006 1:00 pm

All I'm saying is pilot's schedules don't make them any less safe than any other problems that can happen in their lives (like having a bad headache or an awul personal problem like a pending divorce). I would think that most pilots are professionals and knowing that pilots have long days and short nights between flights doesn't make me feel any less safe on the plane. Accidents can happen anytime, even when someone is wide awake and well rested, if they're distracted for one reason or another.

Believe me, I know very well what different schedules are like, and the problems they cause. I'm often in all four time zones in one week, staying in different hotels, and working 16 hours a day. While you might be flying the plane, I'm back in 2B working on a presentation to give that afternoon.

How many hours can a pilot legally work in one week? I'll bet it's less than many ER Doctors work schedules.

Bottom line, I think I have a pretty good understanding of how hard Pilots work, and it causes me no worry. Flying is statistically safer than walking down the street! I think the combination of pilots skill and today's technology make accidents like LEX a very rare occurence, and because I'm on a plane several times a week, I'm glad to know this!
"FLY DELTA JETS"

HAWK21M

Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:11 pm

Whats the medical explanation for him not recalling the event.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

deltadc9

Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:28 pm

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 44):
Whats the medical explanation for him not recalling the event.

1) He suffered a severe blow to the head, and there is still a possibility of permanent damage.

2) The brain does have its own internal defense mechanism with respect to extremely traumatic events. There is no physical reason why humans cannot remember every single thing period which is why "photographic" and other forms of total recall is possible and shows up now and then in people. Ever notice you never forget a smell? We need to be able to forget or our mental health would not be maintainable. It is the only way we can avoid constantly dwelling on all the tragic events in our past.

Especially when the two are combined, you may or may not regain recall of certain events. At least that is how it was explained to me in college.
Dont take life too seriously because you will never get out of it alive - Bugs Bunny

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos