kiwi

727 Wing Cuff

Mon Feb 22, 1999 8:50 am

Hello all!....Does anyone know what purpose(s) that "cuff" serves on the leading edge of the B-727? Thanks!

L-188

Cuff??

Mon Feb 22, 1999 10:41 am

You have me a little bit confused about what you mean by a cuff. I understand a cuff as a downward rounding of the bottom leading edge of the wing to increase the lifting charicteristics of the wing.

Are you refering to possibly the Kreuger flaps on the leading edge that droop down when the aircraft is shut down? or are you possibly refering to the fence on the upper leading edge of the wing. I don't know the specific reason for it on the 727 but a fence is instaled so that air is prevented from flowing parel to the leading edge of the wing rather then over it at high speeds. If I remember right is is located about where the inboard aileron is on the trailing edge. So it might be there to direct airflow over that control surface. But this is just a guess.

Did I hit on what you are looking at or can you narrow down the choices a little bit? I hope this helps.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

RE:727 Wing Cuff

Mon Feb 22, 1999 11:31 am

Hey KIWI1 Hows it goin?
@ the end of this message people are probably going to say" Um..ok...what's your point??"
I know that there are SEVERAL high lift devices on the B727. This "cuff" you are talking about most likley(like L-188 said) contibuted to added lifting of the aircraft. Tell me, is the cuff seen when the aircraft has the flaps deployed or when everything is retracted? I am wondering if it is the different deisgn of the leading edge's slats you are talking about. Oh well, I doubt I cleared anything up. Hehe.
Best regards'
CapK

kiwi

RE: L-188

Mon Feb 22, 1999 11:45 am

You were right when you mentioned the fence. The object in question is located right where you said..... on the upper leading edge in front of the inner aileron. The airflow over the control surface makes sense. Thanks!

L-188

RE: L-188

Tue Feb 23, 1999 2:56 am

Ok. Now I know what you where talking about.

A Cuff is a weird thing to put on the wing of a +400 mile/hour jet since it makes the wing more draggy and increases the lift. Because it is a permanet non-adjustable feature most designers use either slats of kruger flaps so they can have a high speed wing and then change the shape if for takeoffs and slow speed flight.

You see a lot of wing cuffing when they put STOL kits on small airplanes like Cessna 207 and 185's. The only heavy transport I have seen with a cuffed wing is the IL-62M. It has a very large Cuff that runs down the outboard panel of the wing from where the wing jogs out to the tip. That jog in the wing by they way is employed to do the same job as a fence. To keep air from flowing down the length of the wing rather then over itl. You see this a lot more on military fighters though. The cuff on the IL-62 may have a lot to do with it's reputation as a gas hog.

You may want to through this question to Will on this site. I belive he is a 27 FE and knows more about the airplane then I do. I just made an educated guess based on what fences are normaly put on an airplane to do.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos