A330323X
Topic Author

US Airways To Codeshare With Air China

Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:27 am

US Airways today applied for certain U.S.-China authorities, to be used pursuant to its existing codeshare agreement with United Airlines, and a new codeshare agreement being negotiated with future Star Alliance member Air China.

US Airways applied to place its US* code on UA-operated flights ORD/SFO-PVG, ORD/SFO-PEK, and also IAD-PEK should UA be awarded that authority. It will place its US* code on CA-operated flights beyond PVG and PEK.

US did not state the beyond-PVG/PEK markets it will codeshare with CA on, saying it will list them in its later application for approval of the US/CA codeshare agreement, which is still being negotiated. US did, however, mention in its answer supporting UA's IAD-PEK application, that it intends to serve 18 domestic Chinese points over PEK, including PVG/CAN/NKG/XIY/SZX.

In addition to US's existing codeshare on many UA flights to Asia from ORD and the West Coast, and the new China flights from ORD/SFO, US also stated it will be placing its code on UA's IAD-NRT flight.

US Airways currently codeshares with sister airline America West; Star Alliance partners United, Lufthansa, bmi, Spanair, and TAP Portugal; Lufthansa's partners Air Dolomiti, Eurowings, and Air One; and GoCaribbean Network members Bahamasair, Caribbean Sun, and WINAIR.
I'm the expert on here on two things, neither of which I care about much anymore.

m180up

RE: US Airways To Codeshare With Air China

Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:30 am

Great news  Smile!
Hope they get the approval!
Werner from SAL

mah584jr

Wed Sep 27, 2006 2:46 pm

I remember reading awhile back that Air China might come to PHL. It was a rumor here, has there been any update or is that rumor completely untrue?

vega

Wed Sep 27, 2006 2:59 pm

Code share, smodshare. PHL needs a non-stop flight to Asia like all of it's peers, not a change plane code share through UA. Actually IF Air China were to serve PHL directly, this beyond code share would probably be a first step in the relationship.
We are but a moment in this vast Universe and when gone we will never have existed.

LAXdude1023

Wed Sep 27, 2006 3:40 pm

Quoting Vega (Reply 3):
Code share, smodshare. PHL needs a non-stop flight to Asia like all of it's peers, not a change plane code share through UA. Actually IF Air China were to serve PHL directly, this beyond code share would probably be a first step in the relationship.

If they get a flight to Asia, it will be on US. But US doesnt have a plane that could make it to Asia from PHL. I think the first destination will probably be in Japan if they get one. But I think US will shoot for PHX before PHL to Asia.
It is what it is...

usairways85

Wed Sep 27, 2006 6:34 pm

LAXdude1023:
Asia is not on US' radar for a long time, not only do they not have the aircraft but also the slots.

If PHL gets service to Asia it will be on an Asian carrier long before US.

B2443

Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:39 am

Quoting M180up (Reply 1):
I remember reading awhile back that Air China might come to PHL

That would be a remote possibility. CA can't not even support their daily PEK-JFK with the full pax 744s (they use combi's). PHL market would be smaller than JFK's, probably even with US feed.

So far the Chinese carriers are focusing on LAX (CA, MU, CZ), SFO (CA) and JFK(CA). MU used to run ORD/SEA but stopped. And ALL of them are losing big money on the US routes. I don't think they are thinking about expanding any time soon.

steeler83

Thu Sep 28, 2006 2:11 am

Quoting Mah584jr (Reply 2):
I remember reading awhile back that Air China might come to PHL. It was a rumor here, has there been any update or is that rumor completely untrue?

I remember seeing that as well...

Quoting LAXdude1023 (Reply 4):
If they get a flight to Asia, it will be on US. But US doesnt have a plane that could make it to Asia from PHL.

US doesn't have one YET, considering they actually do get the A350 when they're supposed to...

Quoting LAXdude1023 (Reply 4):
I think the first destination will probably be in Japan if they get one. But I think US will shoot for PHX before PHL to Asia.

Not sure... PHL is a huge int'l O&D goldmine for US, and I am sure that massive O&D for Asia exists in PHL for US to do service there. They have a sizeable Chinese population there, not to mention several asian businesses that have large offices in PHL I am sure.

I remember seeing on here that some 10 years ago they wanted to apply for PIT-NRT but could not secure the necessary 767 aircraft request err something of the type. Then considering the way things have gone for PIT anyway, I don't think PIT-NRT would have been around for too long... There seems to be a slow growth in Asia demand for the region, but I do have doubts for any kind of service despite my lofty optimism. PIT is not exactly an international O&D pool, let alone any kind of O&D pool... I still think PHL is slightly larger than that of PHX though... I think the bulk of US' international expansion has been through PHL if I recall, if not all of it anyway...
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos