DC6BDreaming
Topic Author

Screening For Stink Factor

Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:32 pm

I had the displeasure of traveling a US Airways Exrpress (Air Wisconsin) flight from YYZ to PHL late yesterday seated in 2F on a CRJ-400, a fully packed flight. The large gentlemen next to me with a heavy flannel shirt had a bad case of body odor. A man in front of me in 1F also had the same problem. I breathed through my mouth the entire flight!

They screen for all kinds of security breaches, but shouldn't they also screen for stink, especially on small cramped RJ aircraft? I was hoping for an oxygen mask to appear, but alas, nothing.

The pilot must have smelled it to, because his fast approach to runway 19 was a go-around at the last minute! I never thought the Philadelphia air smelled so good after getting off that plane!

MYT332

RE: Screening For Stink Factor

Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:38 pm

JGPH1A and KROC on your flight?
One Life, Live it.

ushermittwoch

Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:42 pm

Man, you'll have to file a trip report. I am sure you are the first member to fly on a CRJ-400 on this board.  Wink
Where have all the tri-jets gone...

ltbewr

Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:57 pm

Most airlines can and do turn away pax who have offensive body or other odors. The A&E network TV show 'Airline' as to WN had at least 2-3 segments on this issue. It is however such a delicate issue to deal with that in many cases, like as happened to you, it won't be dealt with. Employees of airlines or their service companies don't want to piss off their bosses or customers by rejecting pass angers for such reasons. Let's face it too, odorous persons will (to use a pun) make a stink if you say they stink, and who needs that hassle.
CSA's also are more concerned with security and service issues rather than being a scent checker.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos