Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ChicagoFlyer
Topic Author

Tilton's Contract Extended At UA

Sat Sep 30, 2006 3:37 am

According to the press release, it was supposed to expire in September 2007 and is now good through 2011 (along with the rest of UA top management).

So the board decided to keep the management in place. Remember this is the new board post Ch-11, and I heard this particular board meeting is supposed to be the "strategic direction" kind. This is the most clear indication that from the point of view of the shareholders UA management is doing (and expected to do) a good job. I don't want this to degenerate into a thread where people bash UA management or respond to such bashing. Let's consider what this means for the airline.

- I think this may make the merger with control given up less likely (see "UA and CO merge, CO management remains in charge" rumors).
- Also, Tilton will probably get a lot more money. Again, we can bring up "long-suffering employees" and discuss whether he deserves it or not, but it's a given that if he never joined UA and pursued his alternate career in the oil industry, he'd be worth much more than now!
- Finally, everyone agrees that UA is far from an efficiently run airline--i.e., in need of non-labor cost reductions. This probably means that the board believes current management can achieve the savings.

Anyone heard anything else on what came out of this board meeting?

F9Animal

RE: Tilton's Contract Extended At UA

Sat Sep 30, 2006 8:29 am

AWESOME! Glad to see the scum of the earth get another 4 years. He is about as good a GW is. And both are former and still are heavily invested in oil. Gotta love it........

United767

Sat Sep 30, 2006 10:18 am

Why am I not surprised.  weeping . How much more must I suffer with this guy at the helm?  cry 

jacobin777

Sat Sep 30, 2006 10:25 am

Quoting F9Animal (Reply 1):
AWESOME! Glad to see the scum of the earth get another 4 years. He is about as good a GW is. And both are former and still are heavily invested in oil. Gotta love it........

"Scum" like him turned down other much more lucrative (as well as less of a headache) jobs.....quite a number of few people said UA would go "chapter 7"...yes..all is not peachy-keen, but it is profitable and going in a positive direction...

How about some kudos to Tilton..?

CHIFLYGUY

Sat Sep 30, 2006 10:43 am

Quoting ChicagoFlyer (Thread starter):

- I think this may make the merger with control given up less likely (see "UA and CO merge, CO management remains in charge" rumors).

Why say that? A big fat contract now means an even bigger, fatter golden parachute if he bails. Remember, in any change of control that resulted in a Tilton departure, they'd have to buy out his contract.

United767

Sat Sep 30, 2006 11:05 am

Quoting Jacobin777 (Reply 3):
"Scum" like him turned down other much more lucrative (as well as less of a headache) jobs.....quite a number of few people said UA would go "chapter 7"...yes..all is not peachy-keen, but it is profitable and going in a positive direction...

O.K. maybe "scum" was a harsh word from F9Animal, but I agree with his view on Tilton. As for giving him "kudos" I agree that yes, he did somewhat turn UA around, but because of him I am making 10k less a year and because of that i am quite bitter still. I'm sure it will pass in due time, as long as no more pay cuts are on the way.
(i am also bitter that he "demanded" pay cuts from employees and he himself took none). Just my   .

[Edited 2006-09-30 04:07:29]

mariner

Sat Sep 30, 2006 11:12 am

Quoting F9Animal (Reply 1):
the scum of the earth

Hmmmm?

If Mr. Tilton had not taken the job at United, the airline would likely have one under.

There was not a long list of candidates for the job, and even fewer with his credentials - who were prepared to take the job.

United was in desperate circumstances and almost total denial and the actions by the board did nothing to help - they appointed an interim CEO who was 69 and had to retire within 12 months.

"I am not here to preside over a bankruptcy," Mr Creighton decreed - and he didn't - he retired. No one knows what was wasted in that time, or how much worse the mess had become before Mr/. Tilton agreed to take it on.

I may not like some of the things Mr. Tilton has done, I may disapprove of the whole Chapter 11 process. but anyone who still has a job at United owes that job to Mr. Tilton.

mariner

[Edited 2006-09-30 04:24:39]

jacobin777

Sat Sep 30, 2006 11:20 am

Quoting United767 (Reply 5):
(i am also bitter that he "demanded" pay cuts from employees and he himself took none). Just my

I could understand your frustration United767....but unfortunately, that's how it always is with management...look at how many dot.com/telecom CEO's made millions while their companies were burning through billions of dollars of shareholder equity........most of it legal unfortunately... Sad

Looking at the financials of UA from a few years ago, it wasn't too hard to conceive that there was a possiblity UA would have been mentioned along the lines of Pan Am....

Obviously it would have been better if he took a paycut for the first few years also..but that's not how it goes unfortunately....

Cheers..

United767

Sat Sep 30, 2006 11:31 am

Quoting Jacobin777 (Reply 7):
Looking at the financials of UA from a few years ago, it wasn't too hard to conceive that there was a possiblity UA would have been mentioned along the lines of Pan Am....

Looking back, you are absolutely correct on that. I was going through alot of stress then, luckily it never turned out that way. I also agree with what you also replied to on my post. Like I said, I am glad I am still employeed at UA, I only hope that someday our pay will go back up just a little, but that is how it is with the airlines now a days and i am slowly grasping that.

Ryan

F9Animal

Sat Sep 30, 2006 11:44 am

Quoting Jacobin777 (Reply 3):

Kudos? The guy mugged and made off like a bandit. He was and is not the savior for UA. How can one justify that he could have made more money elsewhere? He was not the only one that could have taken the job, and put UA through 3 years of bk.

Chapter 7? If they had a competent person at the wheel, UA would have exited 11 in less than 2 years, and a much happier work force. Sorry bud, but I am not giving any praise to the guy. Scum is actually not the word I wanted to use, as I would have gotten in trouble for profanity.

Quoting CHIFLYGUY (Reply 4):
Why say that? A big fat contract now means an even bigger, fatter golden parachute if he bails. Remember, in any change of control that resulted in a Tilton departure, they'd have to buy out his contract.

I am sure that golden parachute is now lined with diamonds.

O.K. maybe "scum" was a harsh word from F9Animal, but I agree with his view on Tilton. As for giving him "kudos" I agree that yes, he did somewhat turn UA around, but because of him I am making 10k less a year and because of that i am quite bitter still. I'm sure it will pass in due time, as long as no more pay cuts are on the way.
(i am also bitter that he "demanded" pay cuts from employees and he himself took none). Just my .

And I feel your frustration 767. 10k is alot of money, and I would imagine that Tilton feels very bad for that. In fact, I wonder if he is cracking open a bottle of expensive bubbly right now to mourn that 10k loss. I get furious when hard working employees like yourself get the short end of the stick. Again, I feel your pain buddy.

Quoting Mariner (Reply 6):
I may not like some of the things Mr. Tilton has done, I may disapprove of the whole Chapter 11 process. but anyone who still has a job at United owes that job to Mr. Tilton.

I just feel that UA could have gotten better when looking for a leader. I have many friends that have lost their jobs while Tilton has been in control. Sadly, many more are probably shaking as I type this.

In total, I give Tilton no kudos. I would not even give him a kudos candy, as I am sure it is not up to his fancy.

United767

Sat Sep 30, 2006 11:55 am

Quoting F9Animal (Reply 9):
And I feel your frustration 767. 10k is alot of money, and I would imagine that Tilton feels very bad for that. In fact, I wonder if he is cracking open a bottle of expensive bubbly right now to mourn that 10k loss. I get furious when hard working employees like yourself get the short end of the stick. Again, I feel your pain buddy.

Thanks man, I appreciate your comment. Welcome to my R.U. List F9Animal.

F9Animal

Sat Sep 30, 2006 12:10 pm

Quoting United767 (Reply 10):
Thanks man, I appreciate your comment. Welcome to my R.U. List F9Animal.

Thank you United767. It is hard workers like you that will make UA succeed. Just keep your head up high, and I wish the best for you and your colleagues at UAL. I have the highest respect for UA, and I hope they come back to what they were.

mariner

Sat Sep 30, 2006 12:12 pm

I just feel that UA could have gotten better when looking for a leader.

Then blame the board - they didn't look.

He was and is not the savior for UA.

No one else wanted the job. At least, no one competent.

He was not the only one that could have taken the job,

Pretty much.

Chapter 7?

Was an imminent possiblity. The true financial circumstances at United were denied when Goodwin said it, and they were denied when the ATSB said it. Twice.

Even their own CEO - Creighton - denied it.

If they had a competent person at the wheel, UA would have exited 11 in less than 2 years,

That is a value judgement, pure and simple. I know of no financial analyst who believes that. Or - not one that I trust.

mariner

jacobin777

Sat Sep 30, 2006 12:26 pm

Quoting United767 (Reply 8):
Looking back, you are absolutely correct on that. I was going through alot of stress then, luckily it never turned out that way. I also agree with what you also replied to on my post. Like I said, I am glad I am still employeed at UA, I only hope that someday our pay will go back up just a little, but that is how it is with the airlines now a days and i am slowly grasping that.

One of my investors was a UA pilot, so I know what he was going through at the time.....painful...

Hopefully, UA's balance sheet will improve over time....with that comes new planes and pay raises...Even though I don't fly UA too much...growing up in the Chicagoland suburbs/living in downtown Chicago for 3 decades and then moving to The Bay Area, I've always been exposed to UA so UA has always felt as my "hometown" carrier...I still want to see UA succeed and expand!!!

Kudos? The guy mugged and made off like a bandit. He was and is not the savior for UA. How can one justify that he could have made more money elsewhere? He was not the only one that could have taken the job, and put UA through 3 years of bk.

He hasn't "made off" anywhere....and given that he was in the oil business...and given his credentials, he easily could have gotten a "better" job..

". He is the former Vice Chairman of ChevronTexaco Corp.....Mr. Tilton serves on the Board of Directors of the American Petroleum Institute and Lincoln National Corp., and on the Board and the Executive Committee of the British American Chamber of Commerce.":**

**-source-http://www.staralliance.com/star_alliance/press_room/executive_biographies/glenn_f.html

Quoting Mariner (Reply 12):

checkmark 

Then blame the board - they didn't look.

checkmark 

That is a value judgement, pure and simple. I know of no financial analyst who believes that. Or - not one that I trust.

checkmark 

N31029

Sat Sep 30, 2006 12:42 pm

Hi everyone.

A very close friend of mine who is a 744 captain with United has shared with me over the recent past similar stories of associates, at all levels, who have experienced the same pain and frustrations as F9Animal and United767. My heart goes out to you both, and, the other brave and courageous United employees that have made the brand so great.

I, as a 1K flyer and strong United loyalist (my hometown airline!) am aware that the quality of this operation was built by the men and women who believed in something better - and gave of themselves to achieve it - the "rank and file."

Ramp workers, cargo handlers, gate agents, flight attendants, and, crew members have all been shining examples of professionalism and perseverence.

I am proud of what these (you) great people have accomplished in the face of extreme adversity.

I know too that almost every industry - at some point in its lifecycle - goes through hardship. And the airline industry most certainly has had more than its share.

I feel - and grieve - for the wonderful people at United who have been through so much. I'm impressed with wonderful people at United who haven't given up.

It is my hope that despite subjective opinions about Mr. Tilton's job at the helm, the objective viewpoint is not forgotten: United is coming through this period of darkness with its head held high. And why? Because of its people!

So, a personal "thank you" to each and every one of the great United workers - at all levels; it is my hope that each of your lives will have a bright future. There is no reason why this will not be so.

I believe in miracles. And, I know that sometimes it is darkest just before the light begins to shine.

For whatever might be the prevailing opinion of Mr. Tilton, he has kept this great company in a position where its even greater people can help it rise to the top again.

God bless!

F9Animal

Sat Sep 30, 2006 12:48 pm

Quoting Jacobin777 (Reply 13):
He hasn't "made off" anywhere....and given that he was in the oil business...and given his credentials, he easily could have gotten a "better" job..

". He is the former Vice Chairman of ChevronTexaco Corp.....Mr. Tilton serves on the Board of Directors of the American Petroleum Institute and Lincoln National Corp., and on the Board and the Executive Committee of the British American Chamber of Commerce.":**

**-source-http://www.staralliance.com/star_alliance/press_room/executive_biographies/glenn_f.html

Yup, I am sure one can dig some dirty oil off the bottom of his shoes. Oil and airlines don't mix too well these days. Is it perhaps that nobody would take him back, as to the reason he jumped to UA? What did he do to Chevron Texaco Corp? Retire? Forced into retirement? Sorry, I do not trust Tilton. He has done nothing to impress me, or 99% of the work force at UA. The other 1% is the execs that are sitting in his office.

The day I can trust anybody associated with the oil industry is the day that I die. Can't argue or change my opinion of him. Was Bush in the oil industry?

I edited the remainder of my feelings for the respect of UA employees. Again, I just hope that UA gets a better captain at the controls. I love UA, and the employees and shareholders of UA deserve a better leader.

In closing, thanks to the UA employees. Tilton is just a small dot when compared to the reason UA has come out of bk. The only real credit goes to the employees that gave up pay, sweat, and determination.

[Edited 2006-09-30 06:02:43]

[Edited 2006-09-30 06:04:02]

United767

Sat Sep 30, 2006 1:03 pm

N31029, thank you for your kind words. It is nice to see that some people still support UAL and its hard working employees.

Ryan

APFPilot1985

Sat Sep 30, 2006 1:05 pm

I just feel that UA could have gotten better when looking for a leader. I have many friends that have lost their jobs while Tilton has been in control. Sadly, many more are probably shaking as I type this.

name one, that could have come in and done a better job and
a) would have wanted the job
b)would have done it for less pay

Without him there is a good chance you wouldn't even have a job much less a 10K pay cut

[Edited 2006-09-30 06:06:44]

jacobin777

Sat Sep 30, 2006 1:11 pm

Quoting N31029 (Reply 14):
Hi everyone.

A very close friend of mine who is a 744 captain with United has shared with me over the recent past similar stories of associates, at all levels, who have experienced the same pain and frustrations as F9Animal and United767. My heart goes out to you both, and, the other brave and courageous United employees that have made the brand so great.

I, as a 1K flyer and strong United loyalist (my hometown airline!) am aware that the quality of this operation was built by the men and women who believed in something better - and gave of themselves to achieve it - the "rank and file."

Ramp workers, cargo handlers, gate agents, flight attendants, and, crew members have all been shining examples of professionalism and perseverence.

I am proud of what these (you) great people have accomplished in the face of extreme adversity.

I know too that almost every industry - at some point in its lifecycle - goes through hardship. And the airline industry most certainly has had more than its share.

I feel - and grieve - for the wonderful people at United who have been through so much. I'm impressed with wonderful people at United who haven't given up.

It is my hope that despite subjective opinions about Mr. Tilton's job at the helm, the objective viewpoint is not forgotten: United is coming through this period of darkness with its head held high. And why? Because of its people!

So, a personal "thank you" to each and every one of the great United workers - at all levels; it is my hope that each of your lives will have a bright future. There is no reason why this will not be so.

I believe in miracles. And, I know that sometimes it is darkest just before the light begins to shine.

For whatever might be the prevailing opinion of Mr. Tilton, he has kept this great company in a position where its even greater people can help it rise to the top again.

Good post N31029....we all want UA to do well.... Smile

MyAviation.net photo:
Click here for bigger photo!
Photo © Jacobin777

Quoting F9Animal (Reply 15):
The day I can trust anybody associated with the oil industry is the day that I die. Can't argue or change my opinion of him.

That's ok..you are entitled to your opinion..I'm fine with it, its just that I respectfully disagree... Smile

Oil and airlines don't mix too well these days

Actually, they do...without lube and gas, them' planes ain't goin' anywhere.... Wink

Is it perhaps that nobody would take him back, as to the reason he jumped to UA?

Er... no ..he is quite distinguished.....

Apropos..I just happen to disagree with your comments..but I do like F9... Smile

MyAviation.net photo:
Click here for bigger photo!
Photo © Jacobin777

Cheers..

uadc8contrail

Sat Sep 30, 2006 1:17 pm

mariner,
you are correct......back in dec of 2002 i had a 1 hr conversation with adam aron at the ege airport prior to his departure to ohare and he told me that no one of any merit wanted the job at ual and the board asked him 3x before he accepted the job albeit with a better compensation package than the previous offer....anyone remember him????he made his mark on ual in a big way....he was the one that convinced wolf to go with the battleship gray scheme and after leaving ual he went to ncl(iirc) then went on to vail resorts as the ceo....

N31029

Sat Sep 30, 2006 1:17 pm

Quoting United767 (Reply 16):
N31029, thank you for your kind words. It is nice to see that some people still support UAL and its hard working employees.

You're welcome, Ryan. And thank you!

God bless!

Bicoastal

Sat Sep 30, 2006 1:18 pm

but because of him I am making 10k less a year

No, because of macro economic issues and a radical change in the way ALL legacy airlines are run, market forces AND a desire by the consumer for the lowest possible fares, you and others who work in legacy airlines are all making market competitive salaries today. Unlike the high salaries before which were not what the market could support. Unfortunately for those at legacies who were used to higher salaries and benefits, the labor market can't justify it.

just feel that UA could have gotten better when looking for a leader. I have many friends that have lost their jobs while Tilton has been in control.

Tilton has saved United. The airline industry has changed. Deal with it. Thanks to low cost and better run new airlines, the legacies have had to adapt to survive. That or perish. You can blame one man for the change in the industry and consumer demand for low fares and the need for legacies to stay competitive, but that would show your ignorance of macro economic forces. Yes, many of your friends have lost their jobs. Oh well, that's life. Maybe United didn't need in-house aircraft cleaners and kitchens. Maybe they needed to shed people, contract out many jobs, and lower salaries to survive. Your friends and their unions have shown no feasible and viable alternative to what Tilton has achieved.

F9Animal

Sat Sep 30, 2006 1:20 pm

Quoting Jacobin777 (Reply 18):
That's ok..you are entitled to your opinion..I'm fine with it, its just that I respectfully disagree...

LOL! What would we do in these forums if we all agreed on everything. That is what makes airliners.net such a fun place to visit. I respect your feelings too!

Actually, they do...without lube and gas, them' planes ain't goin' anywhere.... Wink

Alright..... I bet Tilton is not looking for an alternate source!!!  Smile

Er... no ..he is quite distinguished.....

Apropos..I just happen to disagree with your comments..but I do like F9... Smile

Distkinksquished?

Thanks! F9 is a great airline. And UA is great too. While the two compete, I have nothing but the highest respect for UA, and I want nothing more than to see them be successful. I put 3 years of my life in at UA, and I will always have a special place for UA in my old ticker.

jacobin777

Sat Sep 30, 2006 1:35 pm

Quoting F9Animal (Reply 22):
LOL! What would we do in these forums if we all agreed on everything. That is what makes airliners.net such a fun place to visit. I respect your feelings too!

It would certainly be a boring place to exchange ideas/info... Wink

That being said, 'ell would have to freeze over before that happens... cold 

Alright..... I bet Tilton is not looking for an alternate source!!!  Smile

I bet you he is.....< fuel dependency = higher profits...

Distkinksquished?

distinguished... Wink

Thanks! F9 is a great airline. And UA is great too. While the two compete, I have nothing but the highest respect for UA, and I want nothing more than to see them be successful. I put 3 years of my life in at UA, and I will always have a special place for UA in my old ticker.

I thought we're not supposed to agree on everything... silly ...almost everyone here would like to see UA (as well as F9) do well....

Cheers..

p.s.-thanks for respecting my feelings.. Wink

Avatordon

Sun Oct 01, 2006 2:02 am

I think this aware says it all about good ole Glenn -

http://www.planebusiness.com/bestofthebanter/2006/04/13/bestof.shtml

If being pillaged and plundered by the likes of Tilton & Co makes one frustrated and bitter, then count be among the frustrated and bitter folks whose lives have been impacted negatively by this man. I consider myself in very good company as opposed to the Kool Aid drinkers that seem to think he's some kind of savior.

Too many people were hurt by this individual and his cronies. His "if you don't like it, leave" attitude towards the employees who built United and stayed through thick and thin is nothing short of comntemptous. He's spoken of fulfilling the hopes and aspirations of the employee group in "saving" United, while he put the torch to those hopes so that he could warm his hands at the flames. He's to be reviled, not admired.

FL370

Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:41 am

ALL I KNOW IS THAT THE CEO OF UA DOESN'T DISERVE THAT FAT RAISE!!!! I DO'T THINK HE EVEN DISERVES THAT MUCH MONEY!!! ALL HE IS DOING IS SCREWING ALL THE EMPLOYESS!!! UA IS COMPLAINING THAT THEY DON'T HAVE ENOUGH MONEY TO PAY THEIR EMPLOYESS!! WELL THAN STOP PAYING GLENN SO MUCH F#####K MONEY!!!  mad 

FL370

halls120

Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:13 pm

Is it perhaps that nobody would take him back, as to the reason he jumped to UA? What did he do to Chevron Texaco Corp? Retire? Forced into retirement?

He was a casualty of the merger when Chevron bought Texaco. But when he ran Texaco, he saved the company from a period where liquidation was a real possibility.

Quoting APFPilot1985 (Reply 17):
name one, that could have come in and done a better job and
a) would have wanted the job
b)would have done it for less pay

Yes, where were all the other candidates?

Quoting Bicoastal (Reply 21):
No, because of macro economic issues and a radical change in the way ALL legacy airlines are run, market forces AND a desire by the consumer for the lowest possible fares, you and others who work in legacy airlines are all making market competitive salaries today. Unlike the high salaries before which were not what the market could support. Unfortunately for those at legacies who were used to higher salaries and benefits, the labor market can't justify it.

A sad but true summary. My brother is a pilot for DL, and knows all too well the changes affecting the industry he's spent the better part of his adult life in.

Quoting United767 (Reply 16):

As a loyal UA PE flyer, I would like to echo my support for the hardworking UAL employees. Their professionalism in the face of dire economic conditions is one of the reasons I remain a UA flier.

uadc8contrail

Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:30 pm

FL370,
i understand yours and all the others that feel that glenn has raped and pillaged this company...2 things i have finally let go are...#1)we all knew when tilton came in what he did over at oil central with that merger he orchestrated. and if he had not taken the job then ual would have gone ch7, thats a given. #2)after 22 yrs at ual i have 16 working days left till im out of a job. my family is more important than moving across country to keep my job and will finally collect(unemployment) on those taxes i have been paying into the "system" and now will watch my kids sports games that i have not been able to up until now...a great fellow a.netter told me in a email......1 door closes and another door opens and dont look back...i will heed his advice Smile...btw....my 22yrs at ual will get me 697.00/mo in pension from the pbgc when i hit 55..but thats in another 15 yrs...

jacobin777

Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:48 pm

Quoting Uadc8contrail (Reply 27):
FL370,
i understand yours and all the others that feel that glenn has raped and pillaged this company...2 things i have finally let go are...#1)we all knew when tilton came in what he did over at oil central with that merger he orchestrated. and if he had not taken the job then ual would have gone ch7, thats a given. #2)after 22 yrs at ual i have 16 working days left till im out of a job. my family is more important than moving across country to keep my job and will finally collect(unemployment) on those taxes i have been paying into the "system" and now will watch my kids sports games that i have not been able to up until now...a great fellow a.netter told me in a email......1 door closes and another door opens and dont look back...i will heed his advice Smile...btw....my 22yrs at ual will get me 697.00/mo in pension from the pbgc when i hit 55..but thats in another 15 yrs...

Uadc8contrail.....congratulations on your 22 years service at UA  champagne ...though I no longer fly with UA anymore, it's people like you who make aviation and flying fun. Smile

I lived in the north Chicagoland suburbs for 3+ decades, now I live in the Bay Area, so UA has always been around me my entire life and I still consider UA to be my "hometown" airport. I want it to succeed and prosper (i.e.-I always root for it)!!

I'm glad you have taken the time to share your wealth of knowledge with us.... Smile

Cheers.

planemaker

Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:52 pm

Quoting United767 (Reply 8):
I only hope that someday our pay will go back up just a little, but that is how it is with the airlines now a days and i am slowly grasping that.

Quoting Jacobin777 (Reply 13):
Hopefully, UA's balance sheet will improve over time....with that comes new planes and pay raises.

I think that pay raises are not feasible for a very long time, unfortunately. The industry is still going through change and this small uptick that is being experienced may be a relatively calm period before the next onslaught.

jacobin777

Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:10 pm

Quoting Planemaker (Reply 29):

I think that pay raises are not feasible for a very long time, unfortunately. The industry is still going through change and this small uptick that is being experienced may be a relatively calm period before the next onslaught.

Hopefully some pay rises..... Smile

I do aree with you however....I think there will be another wave.while it might be more severe than the previous wave, it might be the one which really gets the "houses in order"....

Interestingly enough, I'm paying 101-15% more for my AA flights than I used to..and to be honest, I have no problems with it...I would rather pay 10-15% more for my flights and have the carriers stick around than me saving a few $$$'s here and there and watch these carriers sink....

planemaker

Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:28 pm

Quoting Jacobin777 (Reply 30):
I do aree with you however....I think there will be another wave.while it might be more severe than the previous wave, it might be the one which really gets the "houses in order"....

Yup, that is why Tilton is so vocal about industry consolidation, and it seems that the BoD backs his vision. Domestically, the LCCs are slowing down their break-neck expansion (except for WN) but not stopping it. For example, B6 is still taking all their E190 (well, for now at least). The LCC growth is just going to add more pressure for Legacies to outsource flying to their regional partners/suppliers. On the other hand, Open Skies is going to be a reality sometime in the near future and that will have a large impact with more profitable foreign carriers with newer aircraft starting to go for the most lucrative routes. So, as for pay raises, the above does not auger well for that... coupled with the fact that there is no shortage of people that still want to join the industry... even with the depressed wages.

CTHEWORLD

Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:35 pm

he did somewhat turn UA around, but because of him I am making 10k less a year

Or you could look at it as you have a job with UAL, period.

(i am also bitter that he "demanded" pay cuts from employees and he himself took none)

Actually, quite the contrary, he is making far less than his market value, but staying at UAL he is making a heck of a lot less than he could have in the oil or any other biz.

It is all a matter of perspective. There are a LOT of people at UAL that took more than a $10k pay cut and actually appreciate the job Tilton has done.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos