nycfuturepilot

Where To Check In When Flying Code Share

Sat Sep 30, 2006 8:48 am

Forgive my ignorance on this, I booked a ticket from united for a flight that is codeshared on a US flight (ticket says UA, flt is operated by US). I'll probably check in on line but at the airport would i be able to check in at the US counter?
Father, Son, HOYA spirit

AlexPorter

RE: Where To Check In When Flying Code Share

Sat Sep 30, 2006 8:53 am

Check in with US Airways. The general rule is to check in with whatever airline operates your first flight of the day (i.e. flying US and transferring to UA at another airport would involve you checking in with US).
Last Flight: SCX701 MSP-PHX B738 8Jan2008

luv2fly

Sat Sep 30, 2006 8:54 am

Best bet check in with the airline flying the actual flight!
You can cut the irony with a knife

VgnAtl747

Sat Sep 30, 2006 9:49 am

With codeshare flights you'll want to check in with the carrier actually operating the first segment. As codeshares are generally done with carriers that have interline ticketing and baggage agreements with one another, that carrier will usually also be able to issue you boarding passes for any additional legs also.
Work Hard. Fly Right. Continental Airlines

AlexPorter

Sat Sep 30, 2006 10:26 am

It seems that you are only flying one flight, but a thing you can do whenever you have a multi-airline itinerary: Since you are checking in online, you can probably actually check in with both airlines for their respective flights. This is what I did when flying PHX-IAH-MSP on CO and NW last December. I had confirmation codes for both airlines and I checked in on both continental.com and nwa.com and had both of my boarding passes before I went to the airport. Oh, and when I checked in online for my continental flight, the website said I'd have to get my NW boarding pass at that gate, but I just went ahead and got it online instead.

[Edited 2006-09-30 03:27:19]

nycfuturepilot

Sun Oct 01, 2006 2:11 am

Am i able to check in on usair.com for it or would i have to use UA.com?
Father, Son, HOYA spirit

B4REAL

Sun Oct 01, 2006 4:05 am

As some others have said, yes, check in with the operator of the first segment. As for web-check in, I'd do it with the ticket issuer if it is eligible for check-in online.
B4REAL, spelled like it sounds

nycfuturepilot

Fri Oct 06, 2006 9:44 am

Quoting B4real (Reply 6):
As for web-check in, I'd do it with the ticket issuer if it is eligible for check-in online.

no, I just did it, i went to united and went through all the steps then got a message saying i was unable to check-in online as it was not a flight operated by united or ted. Went to usair.com and tried using my UA confirmation number which didnt work but then it brought me to a screen which asked for name, departure city and flight number and this brought up the check in screen and allowed me to check in as usual. Thanks for all your help.
Father, Son, HOYA spirit

Go3Team

Fri Oct 06, 2006 9:57 am

Quoting Nycfuturepilot (Reply 7):
Went to usair.com and tried using my UA confirmation number which didnt work but then it brought me to a screen which asked for name, departure city and flight number and this brought up the check in screen and allowed me to check in as usual.

I just tried checking online for I flight I have on US tomorrow, and the damn thing said I can't. US flight bought thru US itself.
Yay Pudding!

nycfuturepilot

Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:39 pm

did it give any reason why?
Father, Son, HOYA spirit

AlexPorter

Fri Oct 06, 2006 2:07 pm

Quoting Go3Team (Reply 8):
I just tried checking online for I flight I have on US tomorrow, and the damn thing said I can't. US flight bought thru US itself.

Is it an international flight? Are you traveling with any lap-children? Are you traveling in a party of more than eight passengers? If so, you cannot check in online. The only exception is that select international destinations (they probably mean Canada and places with pre-clearance but I'm not sure) can still use online check-in.

One other thing from the website: "Please Note: Due to heightened security some customers may not be able to check-in online." Do you regularly have to go through secondary security screening (not at random) or have the agents ever had your name come up on the no-fly list and had to verify that you were not the individual in question? Then you also can't check in online.

Sorry for all the edits, but I keep finding more info! If your flight is tomorrow but still more than 24 hours from now, you can't check in online. The flight also has to be on an e-ticket, not a paper ticket.

[Edited 2006-10-06 07:09:23]

[Edited 2006-10-06 07:11:06]