SJCRRPAX
Topic Author

SJC Too Big For General Aviation?

Sat Sep 30, 2006 11:09 am

I am curious what pilots and SJC spotters feel about general avation mixing it up with comercial aircraft. Is there a point where an airport is too big for general aviation? SJC is not a particularly busy airport, weather is almost always great, no obstructions. SJC should be about as safe as an airport can be.

But I got to wondering this today, because as I was driving home I saw a WN aircraft landing at SJC and not far behind it an Alaska MD80 pulled up to go around. I checked the flight tracker website at sjc.org, and noticed at 5:10 PM, SWA 2472 landed and at about the same time something labeled ZQX923 flew over the runway and ASA332 did a go around not far from the runway. Do go arounds happen very often at SJC? was this planned or did ZQX923 decide to cut across the airportwithout instructions from ATC. And what kind of plane is zQX923 anyway? just curious...

sjsu2sjcAA777

RE: SJC Too Big For General Aviation?

Sat Sep 30, 2006 11:48 am

general aviation brings in a lot of money with the hanger space and fueling. sjc makes money off of all of this which makes up for our lack of airline service. also go rounds happen about three times a month on a good month. sjc is really a real relaxed airport when it comes to business

nonfirm

Sat Sep 30, 2006 12:52 pm

Quoting SJCRRPAX (Thread starter):
But I got to wondering this today, because as I was driving home I saw a WN aircraft landing at SJC and not far behind it an Alaska MD80 pulled up to go around. I checked the flight tracker website at sjc.org, and noticed at 5:10 PM, SWA 2472 landed and at about the same time something labeled ZQX923 flew over the runway and ASA332 did a go around not far from the runway. Do go arounds happen very often at SJC? was this planned or did ZQX923 decide to cut across the airportwithout instructions from ATC. And what kind of plane is zQX923 anyway? just curious...

I heard this on the company freq.The southwest airplane landed with out clearance. airplane 

SJC-Alien

Sat Sep 30, 2006 3:53 pm

...wouldn't be an issue if 30R wasn't closed while the taxiway adjacent to 30R is being re-done. Otherwise, I've seen about 10 go arounds at SJC airliner-wise since 1967...but, it's slowly becoming K-Mart Country....even AA looks like small potatoes anymore....

Alien