gayrugbyman

Low Cost Carriers At BRU - Will It Ever Happen?

Sun Oct 01, 2006 3:27 am

Why are we not seeing carriers such as EasyJet, BMI Baby, FlyBe and Jet2 operating in to Brussels (BRU)?

As a regular traveller to Belgium, I would love to see some low cost services in competition with the established carriers at Zaventem, but will it ever happen?

I reckon a daily LS MAN - BRU would do pretty well.

Cadet57

RE: Low Cost Carriers At BRU - Will It Ever Happen?

Sun Oct 01, 2006 4:40 am

Isnt Virgin Express based out of BRU? I thought they were a LCC.
Doors open, right hand side, next stop is Springfield.

A342

Sun Oct 01, 2006 4:58 am

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 1):

Yes, you are right.
Exceptions confirm the rule.

PlymSpotter

Sun Oct 01, 2006 5:00 am

Virgin express is a LCC, plus you have Vueling flying to BRU from Barcelona and Valencia. In addition, according to their site, BMI Baby also fly from BRU to EDI, LBA, EMA and LHR, the latter though may mean that they are just selling tickets on the mainline carriers aircraft.

Also BRU is situated in between two of Europe's largest hubs, AMS and CDG, there already is a good rail link to the south from Paris and a high speed line to Amsterdam is expected to open soon. EZY already operate hubs from both of these, so would they find enough traffic to do the same in BRU?

Dan 

[Edited 2006-09-30 22:01:19]

[Edited 2006-09-30 22:02:06]
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

Gofly

Sun Oct 01, 2006 5:14 am

Quoting PlymSpotter (Reply 3):
, BMI Baby also fly from BRU to EDI, LBA, EMA and LHR, the latter though may mean that they are just selling tickets on the mainline carriers aircraft.

The latter is mainline, and the rest are bmi regional flights.  Smile

-Gofly
Living the high life on my ex-Airliners.net Moderator pension...

PHKLM

Sun Oct 01, 2006 5:42 am

FR operates out of "Brussels Charleroi", to quite a number of European destinations. EIN is not too far away either.

brightcedars

Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:01 am

As said, FR is based at CRL a bit South of Brussels and that, combined with the relatively low-priced and midly flexible offerings or SN/TV at BRU, would make a harder market to enter than developing the low-cost product at an untapped more remote location. It will cost a big investment to whoever wants to slice a quantifyable share of the market.

And as mentioned, there are lots of low-cost operators at BRU and CRL including Ryanair, SkyEurope, Virgin Express, Vueling, WizzAir, etc.

Also, BRU is not keen to block slots and gates for non transit, low spending profiles.
I want the European Union flag on airliners.net!

aussie_

Sun Oct 01, 2006 8:48 am

I would have thought Air Berlin is a candidate for BRU for flights to perhaps Berlin and Munich. BRU-Germany can be outragiously expensive.

mainMAN

Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:18 am

Quoting GayrugbyMAN (Thread starter):
I reckon a daily LS MAN - BRU would do pretty well.

I'm not so sure it would. I know that the BA/SN duopoly on MAN-BRU produces fares of a minimum of £87, booked well in advance, but I doubt that there's enough tourist traffic between the two to support a 733 operated by LS, especially only once a day (which pretty much discounts business traffic). I might be wrong though.

I think LS might not do as well as they expect on MAN-CDG, and Paris is a prime international leisure destination.

Quoting Aussie_ (Reply 7):
I would have thought Air Berlin is a candidate for BRU for flights to perhaps Berlin and Munich. BRU-Germany can be outragiously expensive.

Similar situation, where perhaps the type of passenger between MAN/BRU/BER and MUC is primarily on business.