nwafflyer

XJ Flight Attendant Comments

Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:27 am

Today, a Mesaba flight attendant told me she would not go to Pinnacle, because of the safety issues - I really didn't know Pinnacle had major safety issues - can someone please enlighten me?

filejw

RE: XJ Flight Attendant Comments

Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:15 am

Your listening to a FA?That is a safety issue in its self.

777wt

Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:49 am

In fact I would rather go to Pinnacle than to Mesaba. My company hired workers who quit working for Mesaba.
I talked to one of them after training classes at the hotel by the pool and was told bad stories about the way they maintain their planes, mostly about the interior cabin stuff.

And latey they have major maintenance problems with their Dash-8's at JFK since 2 weeks ago that DL got so pissed off and called us to provide service for them until Mesaba gets their act together.

My company sent out 2 spare ERJ-135's to JFK for service to DL in good faith that my company will keep the contract we have with DL currently since DL is sending regional flying contracts up for a re-bid.

Cessna057

Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:54 am

Quoting Filejw (Reply 1):

LMAO!! So right. I was on a CO flight once speaking with a flight attendant and she told me "We have placed orders for the 772LR and will be opening flight to SIN and SYD." I knew it wasnt true but just sounded as if I was intruiged.

But yeah, FA's are not a reliable source of information at all.
Hold it . . . Hold it . . . HOLD THE FREAKIN NOSE UP!!

flypdx

Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:56 am

Quoting 777WT (Reply 2):
And latey they have major maintenance problems with their Dash-8's at JFK since 2 weeks ago that SA)">DL got so pissed off and called us to provide service for them until Mesaba gets their act together.

You are thinking of MESA, not MESABA. Mesaba is a Northwest Airlink carrier, and Mesa does flying for SA)">DL Connection, United Express, UsAirways Express, and others(?)

dtwclipper

Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:58 am

Quoting 777WT (Reply 2):
And latey they have major maintenance problems with their Dash-8's

That's very odd, as XJ hasn't flown the "Dash-8" in years!

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Howard Chaloner

Compare New York Air, the Airline that works for your Business

2H4

Sun Oct 01, 2006 10:47 am

Show some respect, Filejw.

FAs, while not necessarily privy to internal corporate news, are certainly knowledgable enough to listen to, especially in matters relating to safety. Bear in mind, FAs are trained on and proficient in matters above and beyond serving drinks.

If I'm sitting up front flying the airplane, for example, and an FA says they see or hear something out of the ordinary, you better believe I'll listen to them...

2H4

Intentionally Left Blank

AsstChiefMark

Sun Oct 01, 2006 11:16 am

Quoting 777WT (Reply 2):
And latey they have major maintenance problems with their Dash-8's at JFK since 2 weeks ago

XJ hasn't used Dash 8's for many years. I can't even remember the last time I saw one.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Matthew Lee - Contrails Aviation Photography

Mark

[Edited 2006-10-01 04:23:23]
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

filejw

Sun Oct 01, 2006 11:33 am

2H4, Well I've been doing this for a real long time and they may have some good information on some subjects but safety? Doubtful.

2H4

Sun Oct 01, 2006 3:03 pm

Quoting Filejw (Reply 8):
they may have some good information on some subjects but safety? Doubtful.

Is safety not the primary responsibility of FAs? All I'm saying is your original comment had an insulting tone by suggesting that simply listening to an FA "is a safety issue in its self".

I don't doubt you've been flying for a long time, but I find it surprising that someone with a relatively high level of experience could speak of fellow crewmembers in such a disrespectful manner.

2H4

Intentionally Left Blank

filejw

Sun Oct 01, 2006 10:58 pm

Like I said FA's have a lot to offer but a judgment on an other airlines safety?What is somebody giving you a freebie on your layovers.

DILF

Sun Oct 01, 2006 11:41 pm

Quoting Nwafflyer (Thread starter):
Today, a Mesaba flight attendant told me she would not go to Pinnacle, because of the safety issues -

Well, her local Buger King's probably hiring! Maybe she'll feel 'safer' there?
NO MORE Trip Reports about SQ First Class! Or TG, CX or MH! E-N-O-U-G-H !!

We're Nuts

Sun Oct 01, 2006 11:55 pm

Quoting Filejw (Reply 10):
Like I said FA's have a lot to offer but a judgment on an other airlines safety?What is somebody giving you a freebie on your layovers.

Since the FAA's charter was change in the wake of the Valujet crash, every 121 carrier in this country follows the same safety standards. The likelihood of dying on one is as miniscule as it is on another.

However, FA's are safety professionals. It's our job to keep the passengers alive. Please don't insult your partners in the sky like that.
Dear moderators: No.

DILF

Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:25 am

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 9):
but I find it surprising that someone with a relatively high level of experience could speak of fellow crewmembers in such a disrespectful manner.

Quoting We're Nuts (Reply 12):
However, FA's are safety professionals. It's our job to keep the passengers alive. Please don't insult your partners in the sky like that.

How much of a "safety professional" was the originally mentioned Mesaba F/A who badmouthed -in a pretty serious way- Pinnacle Airlines (a carrier operating for NW just like the one she worked for) to a passenger!?

2H4

Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:36 am

Quoting DILF (Reply 13):
How much of a "safety professional" was the originally mentioned Mesaba F/A who badmouthed -in a pretty serious way- Pinnacle Airlines

It doesn't matter, dilf. Filejw's contends that listening to FAs in general is somehow a "safety issue". I disagree. Whether this particular FA's assertions were accurate is a seperate issue.

2H4

Intentionally Left Blank

DILF

Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:38 am

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 14):
doesn't matter, dilf. Filejw's contends that listening to FAs in general is somehow a "safety issue". I disagree. Whether this particular FA's assertions were accurate is a seperate issue.

OK, I'll give you that - but do you acknowledge how unprofessional and inappropriate that F/A's comment was?

2H4

Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:02 am

Quoting DILF (Reply 15):
but do you acknowledge how unprofessional and inappropriate that F/A's comment was?

As a matter of fact, I do consider what she did (making negative comments about a competing carrier) unprofessional and inappropriate, especially when those comments are communicated to a passenger and related to safety-of-flight issues.

But like I said...seperate issue. I maintain that, with regard to air safety, FAs should be considered a legitimate resource on board, and that they should be fully respected both as fellow crewmembers and as aviation professionals. Anything less will result in a more dangerous environment for all aboard the aircraft.

2H4

Intentionally Left Blank

filejw

Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:03 am

2H4,That's an assumption on your part. The discussion here is an FA from one airline is qualified to discuss the operational safety of an other carrier.Period.

2H4

Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:40 am

Quoting Filejw (Reply 17):
The discussion here is an FA from one airline is qualified to discuss the operational safety of an other carrier.

It would also be an assumption to profess that FAs are never knowledgeable in matters relating to carriers other than their own. Would it not?

An FA from one airline may very well be qualified to discuss the operational safety of another carrier, just as you may be qualified to discuss the operational safety of a previous employer. While probably not authorized, you'd each potentially be qualified.

Filejw, your original comment...the only one I take issue with...had absolutely no qualifiers. As such, the only logical conclusion one could draw from it is that simply listening to an FA "is a safety issue in its self". And that brings us back to square one....that this attitude toward fellow crewmembers is detrimental to air safety.

If you never intended to communicate that the simple act of listening to an FA is a safety issue in itself, we can chalk it all up to a communication error.

If you do subscribe to this theory, well, I sincerely hope things go smoothly for you in the future.

2H4

Intentionally Left Blank

filejw

Mon Oct 02, 2006 2:10 am

If you would stick to the intent of the original poster you would not have to worry about communication. BTW at my airline I'm know as one of the Capt's that are first to back up the FA's on any matter.And after 30 yrs I have a real good idea what the FA's can do and not do and what to expect from them.Thats it for now time to pack my bag for the rink.

NWADC9

Mon Oct 02, 2006 2:17 am

Quoting 777WT (Reply 2):
And latey they have major maintenance problems with their Dash-8's at JFK since 2 weeks ago

Eight years ago, I would've believed you, but you're thinking Freedom.
Flying an aeroplane with only a single propeller to keep you in the air. Can you imagine that? -Capt. Picard

bobnwa

Mon Oct 02, 2006 2:46 am

Quoting 777WT (Reply 2):
In fact I would rather go to Pinnacle than to Mesaba. My company hired workers who quit working for Mesaba.
I talked to one of them after training classes at the hotel by the pool and was told bad stories about the way they maintain their planes, mostly about the interior cabin stuff.

And latey they have major maintenance problems with their Dash-8's at JFK since 2 weeks ago that DL got so pissed off and called us to provide service for them until Mesaba gets their act together.

My company sent out 2 spare ERJ-135's to JFK for service to DL in good faith that my company will keep the contract we have with DL currently since DL is sending regional flying contracts up for a re-bid.

I do not think you are qualified to comment on safety issues about any airline if you confuse Mesaba (who doesn't own any Dash-8s) any does not do any flying for DL) with Mesa. At least I think it is Mesa you are confusing them with. Suggest you do more research on the industry before making observations.

NASBWI

Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:08 am

Quoting Filejw (Reply 17):
2H4,That's an assumption on your part. The discussion here is an FA from one airline is qualified to discuss the operational safety of an other carrier.Period.

I won't argue that, but when you say things like:

your comment goes away from "what the discussion was about" and you make more of a generalization - one which mocks the importance of FAs. i.e. using your reply as logic, one should then assume that when I'm briefing an exit row, they shouldn't listen (because apparently, us FAs don't know safety)? Because that's what your post implies, and that's what 2H4 was getting at. Not that this Mesaba FA was professional, and not that I'd support what she said in the least; it was your response, and what you left out, that drew his (and my) ire.
Fierce, Fabulous, and Flawless ;)

777wt

Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:44 am

Quoting Bobnwa (Reply 21):
I do not think you are qualified to comment on safety issues about any airline if you confuse Mesaba (who doesn't own any Dash-8s) any does not do any flying for DL) with Mesa. At least I think it is Mesa you are confusing them with. Suggest you do more research on the industry before making observations.

It is Mesa that is. Sorry about the error with Mesaba. Two similar names...

XFSUgimpLB41X

Mon Oct 02, 2006 6:46 am

Many XJ people are biased strongly against Pinnacle... they believe we're taking their flying, we're unsafe...blah blah blah.

VERY uninformed.
Chicks dig winglets.

RiddlePilot215

Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:27 am

Quoting Nwafflyer (Thread starter):
Today, a Mesaba flight attendant told me she would not go to Pinnacle, because of the safety issues - I really didn't know Pinnacle had major safety issues - can someone please enlighten me?

Haha, I know a guy at my school that did ramp work at PIT this summer....I've heard horror stories about that airline...how the nickname is Pinch-A-Nickel, and he's a pretty credible source.
God is good, all the time. All the time, God is good.

ASFlyer

Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:09 am

Quoting Filejw (Reply 19):
BTW at my airline I'm know as one of the Capt's that are first to back up the FA's on any matter.And after 30 yrs I have a real good idea what the FA's can do and not do and what to expect from them.Thats it for now time to pack my bag for the rink

Somehow I doubt any of this.

It's attitudes like yours that give pilots a bad name.

[Edited 2006-10-02 03:10:40]

WNCrew

Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:36 am

Quoting Flypdx (Reply 4):

You can thank your beloved airlines for this. For people who spend more time with the customer than anyone else in a given airline the FA's are generally kept in the dark.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

We're Nuts

Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:14 pm

Quoting WNCrew (Reply 27):
For people who spend more time with the customer than anyone else in a given airline the FA's are generally kept in the dark.

Read: As people who spend more time with the customer than anyone else in a given airline the FA's are generally kept in the dark.
Dear moderators: No.

XFSUgimpLB41X

Tue Oct 03, 2006 2:54 pm

Quoting RiddlePilot215 (Reply 25):
Haha, I know a guy at my school that did ramp work at PIT this summer....I've heard horror stories about that airline...how the nickname is Pinch-A-Nickel, and he's a pretty credible source.

PIT isn't exactly the A-Team of ramp crews...
Chicks dig winglets.

aa757first

Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:27 am

Quoting Filejw (Reply 8):
2H4, Well I've been doing this for a real long time and they may have some good information on some subjects but safety? Doubtful.

Safety onboard her carrier's aircraft. Sure. She knows how to work all of the exits, where the fire extinguishers are and how to perform CPR (except for the ones on RyanAir, apparently).

On other aircraft that she isn't familiar with or the mechanical aspects of safety, not really. Most flight attendants are familar with the aircraft their carrier flies and that's it. Unless they are senior enough to remember, they don't know what a DC-3 looks like, how big a 707 was, etc. They also get very little, if any, training on the mechanical aspects of the aircraft (engine, hydrolics, electric systems, etc). So, yes, generally, flight attendants would be a bad resource for general safety information.

Of course, flight attendants who post on here are the exception, since they are obviously aviation enthusiasts and have training/experience on top of that.

AAndrew

airnewzealand

Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:35 am

Believe it or not, but we are privy to other airlines incidents etc etc...

Downunder here, we study Emergency procedures for 4 weeks. Within that time we review ALOT of airlines accidents, incidents etc etc...and it really opens up your eyes to how better handle emergencies and how a Flightdeck crew and the cabin crew can really work together to avoid serious situations. One accident springs to mind which happened in Canada- the flight attendant knew about ice on the wings, but didnt report it to the flight deck as their was such a big segregation between the two.

So before planting your foot in your mouth mate, I would reconsider how you look at us flight attendants. Were your eyes and ears in that cabin, and the respect you show on here towards us shows you really have an over inflated ego. I would snap out of that mindset of instruments are everything and it will never happen to me.

All the best and safe flying!

RiddlePilot215

Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:08 pm

Quoting XFSUgimpLB41X (Reply 29):
PIT isn't exactly the A-Team of ramp crews...

As that may be the case, however you just don't make up maint. problems as a ramp guy on other airplanes.
God is good, all the time. All the time, God is good.

iairallie

Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:00 pm

Quoting Cessna057 (Reply 3):

Nor are pilots, rampers, agents or any other airline employee short of the executives and even then their info can be suspect/inaccurate/or outright false.
Enough about flying lets talk about me!

Cessna057

Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:16 pm

Quoting IAirAllie (Reply 33):
Nor are pilots, rampers, agents or any other airline employee short of the executives and even then their info can be suspect/inaccurate/or outright false.

Yeah I totaly agree, but aside from sitting next to pilots in the cabin you mainly do not speak to them, unless you know one personaly. An FA, however, is in the cabin and often speaks to passengers.
Hold it . . . Hold it . . . HOLD THE FREAKIN NOSE UP!!