QXRamperMEII
Topic Author

New Pax Arrangement To Include Standing...?

Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:59 pm

This seems way too absurd to be true, but I thought I would throw it out there anyway. I overheard a conversation between a flight crew I was working with about some sort of new passenger arrangement in which they are standing (still buckled in with a four-point type harness)...this would be used in short-haul, high density routes to increase pax capacity...

As I said, it seemed too wierd to be true, but they had both heard of it, and seemed adamant about it being correct. Any thoughts, ideas, rumors, etc?

osiris30

RE: New Pax Arrangement To Include Standing...?

Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:01 pm

Quoting QXRamperMEII (Thread starter):
This seems way too absurd to be true, but I thought I would throw it out there anyway. I overheard a conversation between a flight crew I was working with about some sort of new passenger arrangement in which they are standing (still buckled in with a four-point type harness)...this would be used in short-haul, high density routes to increase pax capacity...

As I said, it seemed too wierd to be true, but they had both heard of it, and seemed adamant about it being correct. Any thoughts, ideas, rumors, etc?

Correct or otherwise I will NEVER fly on any carrier that has 'standing-room' on ANY of their flights ANYWHERE in the world.
I don't care what you think of my opinion. It's my opinion, so have a nice day :)

mjlhou

Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:07 pm

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/267888_seats25.html

I heard rumor of it too....this summer in fact. It looks like Airbus had dismissed this idea early along though.
Don't worry about things you can't change or control

trekster

Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:13 pm

There have been a few threads regarding this. Its a new type of seat someone has designed. Do a search and you should get the info.

Dan
Where does the time go???

centrair

Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:42 pm

Back in the days of the Soviet, didn't SV have standing room? I remember seeing a picture very very long time ago where there were rings like on subways hanging off the overhead compartments.

Couldn't this standing room only system be good for Ryanair? They could make the entire back of the seat/table a commercial space. For added safety, arm straps and head straps. Optional "Lector" mask and inflight meal of Liver and Fava beans.
Yes...I am not a KIX fan. Let's Japanese Aviation!

phoenixflyer

Mon Oct 02, 2006 2:33 pm

There was a story about standing "seats" on Airbus aircraft in the NY Times over the summer. From what I remember Airbus denied they seriously considered it just after the story was published.

yabeweb

Mon Oct 02, 2006 2:51 pm

Airbus is conducting studes... will it ever see a real application??.. i seriously oubt that.. but that does not stop studiieing possibilities..

mjlhou

Mon Oct 02, 2006 4:25 pm

Quoting Phoenixflyer (Reply 5):
There was a story about standing "seats" on Airbus aircraft in the NY Times over the summer. From what I remember Airbus denied they seriously considered it just after the story was published.

I published a link quoting the NY times....also said they abandoned their idea though.
Don't worry about things you can't change or control

Pe@rson

Mon Oct 02, 2006 4:31 pm

Quoting Centrair (Reply 4):
Couldn't this standing room only system be good for Ryanair?

I knew it wouldn't take long... reply 4. Not bad.  Silly
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

AlexPorter

Mon Oct 02, 2006 4:50 pm

Optional "Lector" mask and inflight meal of Liver and Fava beans.

Chianti for $5.
Last Flight: SCX701 MSP-PHX B738 8Jan2008

remcor

Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:04 pm

Back in the days of the Soviet, didn't SV have standing room? I remember seeing a picture very very long time ago where there were rings like on subways hanging off the overhead compartments.

Quoting Phoenixflyer (Reply 5):
There was a story about standing "seats" on Airbus aircraft in the NY Times over the summer

In that case Airbus would literally be an Air-Bus.

Exact change please.

ltbewr

Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:58 pm

This would be so unacceptable to anybody that it can never come true, even on Ryanair. It's bad enough on a bus or train to be standing while traveling, but a aircraft - not going to happen. I wonder if the Airbus idea was part of an elaborate April Fool Joke.

Tod

Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:21 pm

It is a stupid and unrealistic concept.
The overhead structure required to facilitate a standing pax restaint system would add weight and cost. Additional doors may be required to facilitate emergency evac, even more weight and cost. After all the weight is added it would be unlikely that you could carry any more pax than with normal seats.

Tod

QXRamperMEII
Topic Author

Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:43 pm

Thanks for the responses...I read the provided articles; I did do a search on the topic prior to posting but didn't find anything. I agree it's a crazy concept, but I'm relieved to see it was an actual idea. I halfway figured I was getting joked with the entire time.

I saw the Ryanair references...I'm surprised that I'd be the first one talking about how much WN would love such a pax config...

jasond

Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:38 pm

Airbus did in fact study this idea. I have a graphic of what it looks like in my data library somewhere from several months ago so I have seen the idea. The 'seats' aren't exactly vertical as they do have a slight recline but as a concept it is appallingly close to standing no question about it.

Pe@rson

Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:28 pm

I'd happily and instantly give it a go: it'd be fun.
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."