LRGT

Reval Stickers Dead?

Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:38 am

I've been running my boutique travel agency since 2003 and now's the first time we need to reorder reval stickers, but their not on ARC's list of non-accountables!

WTF... while I understand that airlines in the USA don't use them anymore, about 70% of my business (and 100% of my paper tickets) are on airlines who *DO*. I just did a painful re-issue and charged $100, of course without telling the pax that it would have only been $25 if I still had stickers!

Is there a way to get these from ARC or does some other supplier make them now? My old ones were pretty generic but I can't find replacements anywhere. Help anyone?
Don't bring up the NW DC9's unless you have to!

EA CO AS

RE: Reval Stickers Dead?

Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:57 am

Huh? Reval stickers went the way of the dodo (for agencies, anyway) YEARS ago!
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

mjlhou

Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:09 am

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 1):
Huh? Reval stickers went the way of the dodo (for agencies, anyway) YEARS ago!

I agree......and I've been in the airline business for 8 years now and really can't say I've seen them in quite some time.
Don't worry about things you can't change or control

Leskova

Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:34 am

For IATA/BSP carriers, they've been scrapped quite a while ago over here as well (I think it's something around 4-5 years ago)... then again, we still have some tickets that we use stickers on, but those are non-BSP tickets (though for IATA airlines nonetheless).
Smile - it confuses people!

LRGT

Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:39 pm

Quoting Mjlhou (Reply 2):

You are right according to ARC... They said reval sticker distribution stopped (quietly) in January 2003.
Don't bring up the NW DC9's unless you have to!

JGPH1A

Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:19 pm

Aren't you supposed to overprint the revalidation on the ATB now ? Stickers were for TAT / OPTAT's IIRC. And with everyone (!) moving to 100% eticket by the end of next year (  rotfl  ) no more ATB's either - wooohooo.
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

LHR777

Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:29 am

I've been in the airline industry since 1991, and the use of reval stickers in the agency environment stopped around 2003, since airlines now require all tickets to be either e-tickets wherever possible, or paper tickets which must be reissued in the event of a change.

Reval stickers caused a major loss of airline revenue, as some agencies would do date changes and simply reval the ticket, without charging the customer any change penalties. Bizarrely, some countries also had an almost 'black-market' situation regarding the use of these stickers.

However, we do use them in the terminal at work, but only if WE change the ticket/reservation in the first place.

airfoilsguy

Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:45 am

Can I ask a dumb question? What is a Reval sticker?  Confused
It's not a near miss it's a near hit!!

JGPH1A

Thu Oct 05, 2006 6:10 am

Quoting Airfoilsguy (Reply 7):
Can I ask a dumb question? What is a Reval sticker?

It's a revalidation sticker, used by airlines or travel agents to change the flight details on a paper ticket coupon, either when the passenger was rebooked, or when the segment changed from Open or Waitlisted to Confirmed.

The sticker was placed on the flight coupon and the agent hand-wrote the new information (flight number, class, status, record locator etc) onto the sticker, to replace what had originally been ticketed. Agents can revalidate tickets rather than reissuing or exchanging them when the change to the ticket does not require that the ticket be repriced (normally, anyway - there are rules about when a ticket may and may not be revalidated as opposed to reissued or exchanged).
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

Leskova

Thu Oct 05, 2006 6:15 am

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 5):
Aren't you supposed to overprint the revalidation on the ATB now ?

I think that's more or less been given up on - I know it's not being done in Germany, Austria or Switzerland yet... perhaps in other countries, but not in these three...

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 5):
And with everyone (!) moving to 100% eticket by the end of next year ( rotfl ) no more ATB's either - wooohooo.

rotfl  ... the frightening (or... perhaps... hillarious...) thing is that some still believe that this date will actually be met!! Big grin

JGPH1A

Thu Oct 05, 2006 6:24 am

Quoting Leskova (Reply 9):
I think that's more or less been given up on - I know it's not being done in Germany, Austria or Switzerland yet... perhaps in other countries, but not in these three...

I think you have to have the front feed ATB printers, maybe those are BSP-specific, who knows. But theoretically it can be done.

Quoting Leskova (Reply 9):
... the frightening (or... perhaps... hillarious...) thing is that some still believe that this date will actually be met!!

IATA are being very firm from a BSP standpoint - no paper tickets issued through BSP from 2008. That's what they say, anyway. And the target for 2006 which is 70% e-tickets may be met. Certainly 70 % of tickets issued in Amadeus are already electronic, and we have our e-ticket product certified in 120 BSP's, which is twice as many as any other GDS. The real problem is probably going to be connecting all the DCS and Ground Handling systems to all the e-ticket providers, and getting the interlines set up. It's getting a lot easier to implement both, but there are just so many that need to be set up.

Leskova

Thu Oct 05, 2006 6:33 am

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 10):
I think you have to have the front feed ATB printers, maybe those are BSP-specific, who knows. But theoretically it can be done.

Yeah... I know... we've got those for Sabre in the three countries I mentioned as well as for Worldspan in Switzerland, and Galileo in Germany as well - and we're considering something for Amadeus in two of those countries, but we'll have to see about it... but those three BSPs aren't permitting it as of yet (might be that they're allowing it with AMA, but so far we've still got those old printers installed at all ticketing locations).

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 10):
IATA are being very firm from a BSP standpoint - no paper tickets issued through BSP from 2008.

I know... I just still don't believe it'll work by 2008. 2010, yes - maybe even 2009... but 2008? Don't think so, though I wouldn't mind being proven wrong on that.  Smile