juventus

AC Adds 25 Weekly Legs To Mexico For High Season

Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:40 am

This winter addition brings the total weekly flights to Mexico to 61, with Cancun getting 9 more 767 flights.

http://home.businesswire.com/portal/...&newsId=20060927005812&newsLang=en

SLCUT2777

RE: AC Adds 25 Weekly Legs To Mexico For High Season

Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:48 am

Quoting Juventus (Thread starter):
This winter addition brings the total weekly flights to Mexico to 61, with Cancun getting 9 more 767 flights.

Skyservice charters finally have some real competition from a scheduled carrier from the Great White North. It looks as though AC is banking on the shorter term Canadian on holiday, rather than the usual 2-3 week tropical getaway. They can cater to the more U.S. like 7-10 day type, with the flexibility of scheduled service.
DELTA Air Lines; The Only Way To Fly from Salt Lake City; Let the Western Heritage always be with Delta!

aircanada014

Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:42 pm

wow very nice.. I thought more increasing flights to other destinations in MExico?..

juventus

Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:57 pm

I was looking at their route network, and San Jose Del Cabo is not on there. Hope they add it some day.

Question to our Canadian friends, any chance of West Jet launching flights to Mexico????

SLCUT2777

Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:53 pm

Quoting Juventus (Reply 3):
I was looking at their route network, and San Jose Del Cabo is not on there. Hope they add it some day.

Question to our Canadian friends, any chance of West Jet launching flights to Mexico????

Cabo (SJD) would be a great destination from YVR, YYC and YEG since it would logistically be quite close.
DELTA Air Lines; The Only Way To Fly from Salt Lake City; Let the Western Heritage always be with Delta!

juventus

Fri Oct 06, 2006 5:39 am

Quoting SLCUT2777 (Reply 4):
Cabo (SJD) would be a great destination from YVR, YYC and YEG since it would logistically be quite close.

That would be great, Canadians going to Cabo wouldn't have to connect in the US. YVR would be a better choice than YYZ.

SLCUT2777

Fri Oct 06, 2006 6:05 am

Quoting Juventus (Reply 5):
YVR would be a better choice than YYZ.

Let those from Toronto dominate the Cancun scene and the D.R.!

CXH

Fri Oct 06, 2006 6:32 am

Quoting SLCUT2777 (Reply 1):
Skyservice charters finally have some real competition from a scheduled carrier from the Great White North. It looks as though AC is banking on the shorter term Canadian on holiday, rather than the usual 2-3 week tropical getaway. They can cater to the more U.S. like 7-10 day type, with the flexibility of scheduled service.

There are many airlines flying from Canada to "sun" destintions such as Mexico, the D.R., etc. Although Air Canada Vacations (using Air Canada planes) is big, Transat A.T. Inc and its' tour operators Transat Holidays and Nolitours are the biggest using Air Transat and WestJet.

Although lots of Canadians fly to "sun" destinations on scheduled flights and carriers, the Canadian sun market in Winter is alot like the British / European 'beach' season in summer: that is, most fly on Charter flights (the carrier may be Scheduled or Charter) which are packaged with a hotel by a Tour Operator. In fact, a fair chunk of the Skyservice 757s and A320s are actually subleased during the winter peak season by Skyservice from First Choice Airways and MyTravel Airways on behalf of First Choice owned Signature Vacations and MyTravel owned Sunquest Vacations. Skyservice also operates aircraft for Canadian firm Conquest Vacations.

Since Expedia, Travelocity, etc. don't carry most charter flights, its' hard for non-Travel industry people to see that. (But lots of other websites do!)

Hang around CUN, PVR, VRA, PUJ, POP, in January and you'll see lots of Skyservice, Air Transat, WestJet, Air Canada, Sunwing and even Zoom aircraft.

Duration: most Canadian go for 1 week vacations. I think its the Brits / Europeans who often do 2+ week trips.

Quoting Juventus (Reply 5):
That would be great, Canadians going to Cabo wouldn't have to connect in the US. YVR would be a better choice than YYZ.

I'm pretty sure that at least one Canadian charter airlines flies to SJD during the winter. And to be fair, lots of Canadians do fly via the U.S. on U.S. carriers. Here in Western Canada, Alaska Airlines and its' vacations division are quite popular.
I've seen the future, I can't afford it. - Martin Fry

SLCUT2777

Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:55 pm

Quoting CXH (Reply 7):
There are many airlines flying from Canada to "sun" destintions such as Mexico, the D.R., etc. Although Air Canada Vacations (using Air Canada planes) is big, Transat A.T. Inc and its' tour operators Transat Holidays and Nolitours are the biggest using Air Transat and WestJet.
Although lots of Canadians fly to "sun" destinations on scheduled flights and carriers, the Canadian sun market in Winter is alot like the British / European 'beach' season in summer: that is, most fly on Charter flights (the carrier may be Scheduled or Charter) which are packaged with a hotel by a Tour Operator. In fact, a fair chunk of the Skyservice 757s and A320s are actually subleased during the winter peak season by Skyservice from First Choice Airways and MyTravel Airways on behalf of First Choice owned Signature Vacations and MyTravel owned Sunquest Vacations. Skyservice also operates aircraft for Canadian firm Conquest Vacations.

I've actually had a few of my Canadian friends do trips to the D.R. and Mexico with both Signature and Sunquest Vacations. They (Skyservice) even send charters to SXM during the winter. They negotiate cheap all-inclusive rates for long periods of time, and get rates their friends south of the 49th can never touch. In Mexico they do fly to the said beach resorts: CUN, PVR, MZT, SJD and even ACA (not sure on that one). In the D.R., PUJ and POP are the resort towns of choice, having friends do long 2.5 week stints in both places there. You're very right , most of these aircraft (A320s and 752s--RR powered) do charters to Europe during the summer months.

Quoting CXH (Reply 7):
I'm pretty sure that at least one Canadian charter airlines flies to SJD during the winter. And to be fair, lots of Canadians do fly via the U.S. on U.S. carriers. Here in Western Canada, Alaska Airlines and its' vacations division are quite popular.

That is a given that you'll see a Skyservice charter on the tarmac at SJD and know a bunch of Cancuks are there having fun on "holiday!"  hot  laughing 

yow

Sat Oct 07, 2006 12:05 am

Quoting SLCUT2777 (Reply 1):
Skyservice charters finally have some real competition from a scheduled carrier from the Great White North.

Skyservice could really care less about competition as all they do is fly the airplane. The competition comes from the tour operators themselves.

SLCUT2777

Sat Oct 07, 2006 12:26 am

Quoting YOW (Reply 9):
Skyservice could really care less about competition as all they do is fly the airplane. The competition comes from the tour operators themselves.

They actually do it for substantially less cost to the consumer than the scheduled carriers. All the resorts are sold to the tour operators at rooms for double occupancy at a minimum, so a single person can take a partner for $200-$350 or so more for even 2.5 weeks. Try booking something like that through AC, AA or DL. Having the AC frequency merely allows someone to cut their holiday short to get out easier and faster although it would be more expense, but less to a Canadian who otherwise might be stuck on AA or DL and have to connect through MIA or ATL and deal with U.S. Customs as well.

XA744

Sat Oct 07, 2006 1:29 am

Quoting CXH (Reply 7):
Hang around CUN, PVR, VRA, PUJ, POP, in January and you'll see lots of Skyservice, Air Transat, WestJet, Air Canada, Sunwing and even Zoom aircraft.

Yes sir, down here at PVR we get to see on busy winter days, up to three Skyservice 757s, two AC´s 320s/319s, two Westjet´s 738´s, and one Zoom's 763 parked simultaneously at the apron, not to mention all the other birds coming down from the U.S. The Air Transat´s A310 comes at night, by moonlight !!!

PVR is just to small to handle all this amount of traffic... S.O.S., we need an additional expansion urgently !!!

I don´t know what about AC this year, but I just hope they also introduce additional frequencies to our destination. Puerto Vallarta is standing number two in terms of Canadian arrivals after Cancun. Let´s keep it that way for many years to come !!!

Best regards
No matter how you fly...just never get your wings clipped !

SLCUT2777

Sat Oct 07, 2006 2:24 am

Quoting XA744 (Reply 11):
down here at PVR we get to see on busy winter days, up to three Skyservice 757s

laughing  One SLC based DL Captain told me not long ago that; "When you see that at PVR, it merely means you'll see more Canucks than ever in one place south of the 49th!" I'm sure the same rule holds true for CUN, MZT and SJD, as well as PUJ and POP over in the Dominican!  rotfl  I guess that merely means that Americans had better not brag about being superior in hockey or anything else for that matter!  rotfl   razz   mischievous