747400F
Topic Author

Europeanwide Limits On Hand Luggage.

Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:26 am

Europeanwide limits on handluggage:

1 bag only - no execeptions for laptops either!, but unfortunately for instruments! YES, I have been waiting for this for ages.

Max size: 56*45*25cm which is big enough for a decent camerabag with room for a change of clothes.

Unfortunately they will still allow DF's bought inside security to be taken onboard.

Why not just introduce duty free arrivals shopping like in say KEF and OSL, would also save on fuel as the airlines wouldn't have to carry fuel to carry all the DF's

Great not having to strugle with all the rollerboards and suitbags that people insist on bringing onboard.

[Edited 2006-10-05 18:27:10]

[Edited 2006-10-05 18:28:04]
All humans have the right to marry the one they love

IFEMaster

Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:29 am

This is good news for the frequent traveller. Hopefully the US will adopt a similar policy. I was completely AMAZED at how quickly a fully loaded BA 744 from LAX to LHR boarded a few weeks ago. I was the last person on the plane for the purposes of observing the new rules. 25 minutes from the pre-boarding call to the moment I sat in my seat. And I didn't have to struggle to find overheard space for my laptop. Brilliant.
Delivering Anecdotes of Dubious Relevance Since 1978

kellmark

Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:32 am

Until they lose your checked bag that you would have been able to carry on before. Plus they have to have a higher number of baggage people and this will increase costs.

I think a reasonable carry on is one bag that fits in the overhead and one small computer type bag. I can live for weeks with that and am not at the mercy of the airline in getting my bag to me.

Gr8Circle

Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:59 am

Sorry to strike an unpleasant note, but you should have thought twice before referring to "Terrorism hype".....what happened on 9/11 was very real and a lot of people suffered then.....as also in subsequent terrorist activities in different parts of the world......

While some of the measures being taken to prevent such activities may seem out of proportion, let's not be calling it "hype", for gods sake....

747400F
Topic Author

Fri Oct 06, 2006 2:21 am

Quoting Gr8Circle (Reply 3):
let's not be calling it "hype", for gods sake

You have your opinion - I have mine. Lets just leave it at that.

robsawatsky

Fri Oct 06, 2006 4:56 am

Quoting 747400F (Reply 4):

Hype is too kind, propaganda is more appropriate.

And, I'm not talking about the tragic results of terrorism but the opportunistic and politically motivated media, government and corporate reactions to these events.

Gr8Circle

Fri Oct 06, 2006 5:47 am

Quoting Robsawatsky (Reply 5):

And, I'm not talking about the tragic results of terrorism but the opportunistic and politically motivated media, government and corporate reactions to these events.

Well, you're right about that....but the thread poster and myself too, were referring to airport security measures.....

thetuna

Fri Oct 06, 2006 5:58 am

I think they should ban ALL carry ons. I feel safe when that is done.
He just ate the big one! Hog!...get away from that thing!! Just get away from it!

CMHSRQ

Fri Oct 06, 2006 6:06 am

Quoting Thetuna (Reply 7):

might as well ban people too
The voice of moderation

757lgw

Fri Oct 06, 2006 6:28 am

i think the limitations are stupid, if you can carry it and it fits into overhead lockers or under your seat then a couple of bags should be fine.
i love being able to travel with just hand luggage , on arrival i can land , and 10 miniutes later i will be on the train , if i had to wait for baggae reclaim and run the chances that the airline loose all my stuff then i wud think twice about flying where possible and get a train insted.

747400F
Topic Author

Fri Oct 06, 2006 3:50 pm

Less handluggage in the cabin = Less time at security
Less handluggage in the cabin = Quicker boarding/deborading
Less handluggage in the cabin = less flying debris in cabin in turbulence (think of the UA 747 that hit turbulence over Pacific, resulting in several killed passengers due to flying handluggage)
Less handluggage in the cabin = more comfortable flight
Less handluggage in the cabin = more checked luggage = more correct weight/balance as the correct weight for what's in the holds is used

but yes also:
Less handluggage in the cabin = more time spend at luggage carrousels. I my opinion a small price to pay for all of the above

Ikarus2006

Fri Oct 06, 2006 4:51 pm

747400F,

I am also happy to see that there will be some restrictions on hand luggage with all the good consequences for easier and quicker security checks, boarding, saved fuel etc.

On one note I would like to raise a question, and it is regarding your sentence:

"Why not just introduce duty free arrivals shopping like in say KEF and OSL, would also save on fuel as the airlines wouldn't have to carry fuel to carry all the DF's".

While I did not fly myself to OSL, I did to KEF and what I saw was a bit "special" - after arrival everybody was walking towards baggage claim and at a certain moment a huge stream of people headed right towards a tiny door instead of left towards the belts.

The door was the access to the arrival duty free and people were coming out of it with bags, in the majority of case, full of alcohol in many shapes and sizes. Now, my point is, isn't this arrival duty free more popular at present for the facts it allows people to get cheap alcohol and not for safety issues? Isn't it not a coincidence that both airports you mentioned are in countries known to have a quite high taxation on alcohol which generates a pressure on inhabitants to run for it whenever they can find it in a cheap form?
In the end, is it a feasible model to export?
Would be interesting to hear about other arrival DF around the world.

This is not supposed to be a Scandinavian bashing post, just a note to openly discuss whether an arrival duty free is really a necessity and a plus for security.

Beside, if I would be flying from say Shanghai to Frankfurt, I would still like to buy my DF stuff in China as it would be definitely cheaper then in FRA. So, even if you create arrival DF you still need to convince the people to buy a product in a place where it costs more - hard task!

Cheers!

flygirlnz

Fri Oct 06, 2006 5:14 pm

Quoting 747400F (Thread starter):
Europeanwide limits on handluggage

It would be great to see int'l consistency. In NZ we are very strict about hand lugguage and we are often complained to by travellers who say, "well I have travelled all round the world and.........." etc.

What they dont realise is that the restrictions are for safety reasons. I would be so p**** off if their 14kg bag dropped out of the overhead locker and hit me on the head. Would'nt you???????

747400F
Topic Author

Fri Oct 06, 2006 6:35 pm

Quoting Flygirlnz (Reply 12):
Would'nt you???????

Moset definately. But consistency in all of Europe is a good start. And as a lot of flights from other parts of the world come to Europe, or passengers from other airlines transfer through Europe, the effects would be widespread. To give you an example: The NZ LHR-HKG/LAX-AKL flights will be affected as they depart from Europe, passengers on these flights will only be able to carry one bag, thus only bringing one bag on their connecting AKL-WRE flight. Same goes for the flights from NZ to LHR if the passengers have connections from LHR, as they wouldn't be able to bring ore that one bag onto their connectiong flight ex LHR, so though it may not fully consistant all over the world, the effects will be widespread.

Quoting Ikarus2006 (Reply 11):
Now, my point is, isn't this arrival duty free more popular at present for the facts it allows people to get cheap alcohol and not for safety issues?

Yes I am sure it's popularity is very much due to economics, but that should not stop it from being used as an instrument used to increase safety.
I only used KEF and OSL as examples, as I knew them, not because they are in the Nordic countries (Scandinavia does not include Iceland).

Quoting Ikarus2006 (Reply 11):
if I would be flying from say Shanghai to Frankfurt, I would still like to buy my DF stuff in China as it would be definitely cheaper then in FRA.

I can understand that given the present prices. However the general problem with departure shopping is that if you were to fly say: PVG-FRA-PVG, then the DF's you bought in PVG going to FRA would have to shipped in your checked luggage going back (provided you didn't consume them in Germany!) would like your Chiwas 12 year old Whiskey in your Samsonite with the potential of drenching your Armani suit if broken?

All in all I think there greater advantages to arrival DF shopping if it was adopted universally.

Another discussion of course is weather DF shopping actually serves a broader economic good, but that is another matter all together.

Ikarus2006

Fri Oct 06, 2006 6:57 pm

Check! Iceland is not part of the Scandinavian peninsula.

I just wanted to share with you a video I just found and reflects a bit the careless customs of some passenger who bring huge hand luggage in the cabin. Be aware, is just for fun:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxfS5lk98mQ&mode=related&search=

Cheers

CMHSRQ

Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:26 pm

Quoting 747400F (Reply 10):
Less handluggage in the cabin = less flying debris in cabin in turbulence (think of the UA 747 that hit turbulence over Pacific, resulting in several killed passengers due to flying handluggage)
Less handluggage in the cabin = more checked luggage = more correct weight/balance as the correct weight for what's in the holds is used

but yes also:
Less handluggage in the cabin = more time spend at luggage carrousels. I my opinion a small price to pay for all of the above

Less handluggage in the cabin = less business travelers in the cabin.

Business travelers pay the bills

can't pay the bills = less airlines in the sky and less airline employees on the ground.

TSA= morons who react to what might happen instead of being proactive = more hassle and regulations that are simply ineffective and burdensome to everyone.
The voice of moderation

747400F
Topic Author

Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:39 pm

Quoting CMHSRQ (Reply 15):
Business travelers pay the bills

Partly correct, business travellers pay (some of the bill), but they still have follow the same regulations as everyone else.

Yes some may choose not to fly for a short while, but when their business starts to suffer, I'm sure we'll see them flying again, even with lesser handluggage to inconvienience other pax.

CMHSRQ

Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:55 pm

Can any yield people or revenue analysts educate 747400F please on where the airlines make money. (no offense intended) It's not the 21 day advance purchase CMH-LGA stay for a week and see the sights for $89 RT traveling once a or twice a year people. It's the $1,100 RT CMH-LGA-CMH (maybe RON 1 night) fares that my wife pays for business trips once or twice a month. She has already cut back on her trips because of the hassles of flying. So now if she can't go out and back in the same day she doesn't go at all. Before she would fly out and stay in a hotel then fly back the next day. So you can also say that the idiots at the TSA probably have hurt hotel business as well. It's a whole trickle down effect.
The voice of moderation

OHLHD

Fri Oct 06, 2006 9:04 pm

Less handbaggage = less discussion for ground handlers  Smile

what will they do? take the train iso an aircraft?

747400F
Topic Author

Fri Oct 06, 2006 9:10 pm

Frankly CMHSRQ if your wife and her company can afford, from a revenue point of view, to have her flying less, then all the better. I mean why bother to travel for more days if it doesn't mean more money earned?

With less items to go through security one should think the hassles (time consumption) would be less ie. her travel would in fact be easier.

and just for the record, drop the patronizing ring of your comment - they don'r make you sound more credible! (to put it mildly) I am aware that business travellers make up a large amount of the revenue and yield, but not everything. Yes business travel is important, but not IMHO important enough to warrant special tratment in the handluggage department.

USAF336TFS

Fri Oct 06, 2006 9:14 pm

Sorry to strike an unpleasant note, but you should have thought twice before referring to "Terrorism hype".....what happened on 9/11 was very real and a lot of people suffered then.....as also in subsequent terrorist activities in different parts of the world......

While some of the measures being taken to prevent such activities may seem out of proportion, let's not be calling it "hype", for gods sake....

Thank you Gr8Circle. "Hype" implies that it's over blown, exaggerated, which it clearly is not. I found the title of this thread very offensive.
336th Tactical Fighter Squadron, 4th Fighter Wing, Seymour Johnson AFB

traveler_7

Fri Oct 06, 2006 9:17 pm

Just lock everything in he overhead. check that overhead is properly locked and you are safe from flying debris.

One more point roll on bag which can be stored securely in overhead would not cause the problem.

On my opinion some bag which is not properly closed could cause much more trouble compare to slightly over weighted luggage which is properly locked and stored in overhead.

vegas005

Fri Oct 06, 2006 9:20 pm

Swisstansa (SWISS and Lufthansa) has lost my luggage 4 out of the last 5 trips. 3 within Europe and 1 time DTW to ZRH via Frankfurt. Checking baggage sucks period.

747400F
Topic Author

Fri Oct 06, 2006 9:47 pm

Quoting Traveler_7 (Reply 21):
check that overhead is properly locked and you are safe from flying debris.

I wish it was that simple. I have on several trips experienced "locked" overhead lockers spring open i flight - luckily only coats fell out - I would hate to have a stuffed rollerboard fall down.

Quoting USAF336TFS (Reply 20):
I found the title of this thread very offensive.

Whatever! You have your opinion, other differ.

But I agree with you: "hype" implies "overreacted" - which is my honest opinion about a lot of the matters that have been introduced to "fight terrorism". But in this case the "hype" IMHO has led to a good thing ie. less handluggage. The fact that people can not bring hairgels and toothpaste is part of the "hype", but I consider that "collateral damage" of the greater good of less handluggage. You of course may choose to differ - afterall it is a free world (or is it? - but that is another discussion!)

CMHSRQ

Fri Oct 06, 2006 9:58 pm

Quoting 747400F (Reply 19):
Frankly CMHSRQ if your wife and her company can afford, from a revenue point of view, to have her flying less, then all the better. I mean why bother to travel for more days if it doesn't mean more money earned?

All the better for her only, not better for the airline, not better for the hotel, not better for her company who prefers to have meetings with clients in person. The hassles of flying are really starting to outweigh the benefits. Which is good for my company.

With less items to go through security one should think the hassles (time consumption) would be less ie. her travel would in fact be easier.

Unless she is overnighting in NYC, so instead of carrying on a roll aboard she now has to check baggage. Now the TSA gets to go through the bag if they want, stuff could get stolen, the bag lost, etc etc etc.

and just for the record, drop the patronizing ring of your comment - they don'r make you sound more credible! (to put it mildly) I am aware that business travellers make up a large amount of the revenue and yield, but not everything. Yes business travel is important, but not IMHO important enough to warrant special tratment in the handluggage department.

My apologies, it's a message board, never meant to patronize.
Business travel is the largest generator of revenue for the airlines, nothing else. I wasn't asking for special treatment for business travelers. I'm saying business travelers are being impacted the most as well as the airlines bottom line. I think that the carry on rules should go back to what they were before for everyone. The simple fact is that if a terrorist even makes it to the check point then the system has failed. Spend the money on intelligence were the problem can be stopped before it even starts. Terrorists are smart, if we continue to react and not be proactive then there is no stopping another terrorist attack.

I agree with the Boyd group here

http://www.aviationplanning.com/asrc1.htm

Quoting OHLHD (Reply 18):

Trains we ain't got no trains here. Except the DC-NYC-BOS corridor. No the answer is we don't fly.
The voice of moderation

goaliemn

Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:00 pm

I will say this would also impact flying standby. Alot of the people who fly standby use the rollerboards and such to make sure they have their clothes/supplies with them. This would kill that, for the most part.

And like others have said, airlines need to track bags better then. I've had my tools delayed/lost before when I had to check them, costing me a day of work, as well as costing a client another day of downtime. When I get that call in the afternoon to head to some little town with 1 or 2 flights a day, if my tools get lost, I'm down for a day.

USAF336TFS

Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:02 pm

Quoting 747400F (Reply 23):

Not to bemoan the subject, nor to criticize you, I was washing dust and pieces of the World Trade Center off my clothes the afternoon of 9/12/01. "Whatever" is easy to say when those events happen in a far away place and are on TV. Wouldn't you agree?

I was suggesting that title of this thread, at first glance, could be misinterpreted.
336th Tactical Fighter Squadron, 4th Fighter Wing, Seymour Johnson AFB

traveler_7

Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:05 pm

I wish it was that simple. I have on several trips experienced "locked" overhead lockers spring open i flight - luckily only coats fell out - I would hate to have a stuffed rollerboard fall down.

So just improuve lockers quality.

747400F
Topic Author

Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:28 pm

Quoting Goaliemn (Reply 25):
And like others have said, airlines need to track bags better then.

YES! could not agree more.

Quoting CMHSRQ (Reply 24):
not better for her company who prefers to have meetings with clients in person

Pardon me for asking, but how does she get away with it then, if her employer looses money on her not travveling so often?

airbazar

Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:45 pm

Quoting CMHSRQ (Reply 8):
Quoting Thetuna (Reply 7):

might as well ban people too

Lets just ban planes while we're at it. That ought to keep them from crashing into buildings  Smile By the way, I support the 1 bag per passenger policy too.

Quoting 757lgw (Reply 9):
i think the limitations are stupid, if you can carry it and it fits into overhead lockers or under your seat then a couple of bags should be fine.

The problem is, if everybody did that, there wouldn't be enough space on the plane for everyone's hand luggage. The reason you can take 2 and 3 bags onboard today is because some people only take 1 or none. I'm usually one of those. I hate carrying stuff around when I fly.

Until they grow wings it ain't gonna happen. business travelers fly because they have to, not because they enjoy it. Well, a small few do but they're weird  Smile

CMHSRQ

Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:10 pm

Quoting 747400F (Reply 28):
Pardon me for asking, but how does she get away with it then, if her employer looses money on her not traveling so often?

I never said her company looses money because of reduced travel. Her company pefers to meet with clients in person. It's better then a phone call or video conference, it's good for business to have good customer service. Now if a client chooses not to buy something because she didn't meet them in person then that's a problem.

Quoting Airbazar (Reply 29):
Until they grow wings it ain't gonna happen. business travelers fly because they have to, not because they enjoy it. Well, a small few do but they're weird

Well my wife who doesn't enjoy flying, who at the request of her company used to fly to NYC twice a month now only goes once a month, because she doesn't want to have to check her bag to overnight, and this is okay with her company. This is because of the liquid ban by our wonderful TSA. Now that may change, but her being a woman I doubt she will deal with the 3oz / ziploc bag requirements. Quality of life and convience is important to her.

Seriously what is going to be the next threat? freight, catering, fuelers, rampers, FA's, pilots ?

Once a plot is uncovered showing one of the above was planning to blow a airliner up over the atlantic then what happens. How many employees of the TSA have criminal backgrounds?

I used to be a ramper and I can't even count the number of bags that got mashed and lost.

It's so easy to get around security, you just have to be smart and patient.
The voice of moderation

OHLHD

Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:17 pm

Quoting CMHSRQ (Reply 24):
Trains we ain't got no trains here. Except the DC-NYC-BOS corridor. No the answer is we don't fly.

Business via Internet?

kellmark

Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:39 pm

As it is, it has become a dehumanizing experience when one travels on the airlines these days. Take off your shoes, remove your belt, nothing in your pockets, 3 ounces of liquid gel, if that,and check any bags except one small one. The bottom line is we are all at the mercy of a huge system which sometimes works but often does not, especially when it comes to checked bags. I am very familiar with the unreliability of getting (or not getting) a checked bag at the other end. All of you who are so ecstatic about just one bag apparently have never had to wait over an hour at the other end and sometimes it never arrives at all.

It is one more reason not to travel. Other options are available, such as teleconferencing and video conferencing or in some cases, ground transportation. Or, as some people are doing, going the business jet route, where all of these problems disappear.

It definitely is hurting business travel significantly for the airlines. To say that the business traveler must follow the rules, like everyone else, ignores the basic economic fundamentals of the airline business and the ingenuity of man in finding alternatives to what has become a difficult experience.

MichiganMAN

Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:45 pm

Quoting USAF336TFS (Reply 26):
. "Whatever" is easy to say when those events happen in a far away place and are on TV. Wouldn't you agree?

I'd like to take this opportunity to remind you that "whatever" was exactly the attitude Americans had when money was funnelled out of the USA and into the IRA coffers.

It's amazing how ones perception changes when it doesn't happen in a far away place and is on TV.
UK -> USA

NASCARAirforce

Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:53 pm

I am an American and I can totally agree with you on that... that is the "hype" part I agree with you on... not the banning handluggage part though.

Word up to that.

You use one event and build up on it and create a fear and paranoia - Government loves that. They love making new rules because there is always an ulterior motive to things... its not just about keeping us safe.

but yes also:

Also More time waiting in lines at ticket counters at some airlines. For example, on F9 last week at DEN there were huge lines for people who didn't have their online tickets or did and had to check luggage. I had my ticket code and did a carryon, I went to a kiosk got my ticket and went right to security. I would have had to wait another 10 minutes or so to check my bag otherwise.

Also, that means more work for baggage handlers, which means that many of their unions (at least in U.S.) will demand higher pay.

More claims also to the airlines. More breakable things to be broken, such as someone mentioned the size limitation is smaller than most laptop bags, therefore laptops will be getting tossed around by the bagsmashers.

More things to get lost if you change flights. If I am changing planes at a place like ATL, DEN, IAH etc I want to have my luggage with me and not worry about my luggage ending up at the wrong city.

Sat Oct 07, 2006 12:17 am

which is big enough for a decent camerabag with room for a change of clothes.

Great not having to strugle with all the rollerboards and suitbags that people insist on bringing onboard.

It is nice when it is perfect for you, isn't it? I also want the regulations to perfectly fit exactly what I need, and not be any bigger so no one can bring anything else. So I would like a decent laptopbag with room for a suit and shoes. Oh no, that seems not to be consistent with your definition of perfect! What can we do?
7 hours aint long-haul

DrDeke

Sat Oct 07, 2006 12:19 am

Thank you Gr8Circle. "Hype" implies that it's over blown, exaggerated, which it clearly is not. I found the title of this thread very offensive.

But in my mind, and the minds of many, many aspects of airport "security" (security theater) clearly are both overblown and exaggerated.

YOU may think that the original poster should have "thought twice before referring to terrorism hype," but many of us do not.

I'm sorry that you were offended by the title, but I disagree that it should have been changed.

-DrDeke
If you don't want it known, don't say it on a phone.

747400F
Topic Author

Sat Oct 07, 2006 12:23 am

Quoting NASCARAirforce (Reply 34):
that is the "hype" part I agree with you on... not the banning handluggage part though.

That'll do!
 Yeah sure

Elite

Sat Oct 07, 2006 12:29 am

The only good thing I can think of is increased security means safer flying (from terrorists).

Checked in baggage isn't that easy to lose, I guess just label them clearly...

747400F
Topic Author

Sat Oct 07, 2006 1:17 am

Quoting 3201 (Reply 35):
It is nice when it is perfect for you, isn't it?

Yeas it is - you are absolutely right  angel 

Quoting 3201 (Reply 35):
So I would like a decent laptopbag with room for a suit and shoes

Good for you! all you need to do then is stay from flights to or from Europe. Piece of cake really!  bigthumbsup 

nzrich

Sat Oct 07, 2006 6:09 pm

Quoting OHLHD (Reply 18):
Quoting 747400F (Reply 10):Less handluggage in the cabin = Less time at security
Less handbaggage = less discussion for ground handlers  

Quoting CMHSRQ (Reply 15):Less handluggage in the cabin = less business travelers in the cabin.

And the most important one

Less hand luggage in the cabin= more check baggage= less cargo space in the hold = less profits in cargo so to make it up tickets and cargo prices will have to go up at some stage to keep the same profit margins on flights
"Pride of the pacific"

SInGAPORE_AIR

Sat Oct 07, 2006 6:22 pm

As a comment, limiting to one piece of luggage makes it harder for those who want to bring a lot of luggage, for various reasons (vising relatives in a far country for the first time in years for a month or two as an example) to do so.

Furthermore, this thread has been hijacked by arrogance. Some people need to be dropped down a peg or four.
Anyone can fly, only the best Soar.

OHLHD

Sat Oct 07, 2006 7:09 pm

Quoting Nzrich (Reply 40):
Less hand luggage in the cabin= more check baggage= less cargo space in the hold = less profits in cargo so to make it up tickets and cargo prices will have to go up at some stage to keep the same profit margins on flights

Sure, but I do not think that airlines will raise there baggage allowance!
So if there is more checked baggage that will increase the excess baggage payments too!

747400F
Topic Author

Sat Oct 07, 2006 10:53 pm

Quoting Singapore_Air (Reply 41):
As a comment, limiting to one piece of luggage makes it harder for those who want to bring a lot of luggage

True, in the overall picture is that nessasarily a bad thing?

As someone else said, that may result in more excessbagage charge revenue for the airlines, and as excess bagage rates ar nomally higher than cargo rates, the airlines make more money, which in our day and age is not a bad thing IMHO.

Quoting Singapore_Air (Reply 41):
Some people need to be dropped down a peg or four.

who has given you the right to be the judge of that?

SInGAPORE_AIR

Sun Oct 08, 2006 12:51 am

Quoting 747400F (Reply 43):
which in our day and age is not a bad thing IMHO.

Indeed and I would completely agree with that. I was merely commenting from the certain's passengers point of view.

Quoting 747400F (Reply 43):
who has given you the right to be the judge of that?

My overwhelming common sense and the thinly veiled attitude that engulfs the thread that is obvious to all whether they agree with the attitude or not.
Anyone can fly, only the best Soar.

TeamAmerica

Sun Oct 08, 2006 1:11 am

No, let's not. You demonstate a very callous attitude towards offending others.

Ditto.

As do I.

I lost loved ones on 9/11. Your thread title IS offensive, as is your attitude towards those who take exception to it. You didn't even spell the word "terrorism" properly. I suggest this entire thread be moved to Non-Av or deleted entirely.

Do not flip me off with a "whatever". You fail to realize the depth of emotion involved in the this topic, and your cavalier attitude threatens to set me off, big time.  bomb 
Failure is not an option; it's an outcome.

N31029

Sun Oct 08, 2006 1:12 am

Quoting USAF336TFS (Reply 26):
I was washing dust and pieces of the World Trade Center off my clothes the afternoon of 9/12/01.

I'd like to personally thank you, USAF336TFS, for your selfless service in a very dangerous environment on an emotionally and physically draining day.

All of us admire and owe people like you a great debt for sacrificing your own safety and health to assist in the search for survivors.

I know that even today many are suffering the aftereffects, and the real and present danger of the conditions that day will be something many will have to live with for the rest of their lives.

So, with respect to the thread-starter, I will conclude my short detour but want you to know that I for one want to stand up, be counted, and say to you once again: thank you.

Blessings, N31029
John 3:16

galapagapop

Sun Oct 08, 2006 1:27 am

Quoting 757lgw (Reply 9):
i love being able to travel with just hand luggage , on arrival i can land , and 10 miniutes later i will be on the train , if i had to wait for baggae reclaim and run the chances that the airline loose all my stuff then i wud think twice about flying where possible and get a train insted.

Problem is, especially in the US, the size of bags some pax bring on are just immense. They can hardly move them in open areas, let alone in a cramped aisle, rolling bags are nice and all but some have taken it to a new level when their rolling luggage can hardly be called (carry on) seeing as without the wheels they wouldn't be able to move it if their life depended on it. I say let em bring backpacks and a carrying case for the laptop and I think that should cover it. Or if they must a SMALL rolling bag.

Sun Oct 08, 2006 1:46 am

Yes, the recent bans have had the effect of less carry on baggage and more loaded as checked bags. However, nothing comes without a price. Yes, you can get through security quicker but you must go through the process of checking the bags. The airline has to employ more staff and equipment to handle those bags from point to point and at each connection. Rather than arriving at the destination and deplaning and getting away, you must wait for the bags to be unloaded and made available at bag claim. And, when the bags are missing, you will spend time making the lost bag claim and obtaining replacement items. The airline also has to pay for these claims and delivery of luggage.

Many European airlines do an excellent job of handling all of the passenger baggage as they have the financial resources. In the USA, the airlines have been cost cutting and do not have adequate personnel and equipment for all of the baggage to be checked.

As a frequent business traveler, I'm rarely in one location for even 24 hours. If my bags are lost on the first flight, I might never see them for the duration of my trip unless I cancel the whole thing and go home.

Bottom line, find and catch the terrorists. Do not treat me as a prisoner.

NASCARAirforce

Sun Oct 08, 2006 1:52 am

There is nothing wrong with the title other than "something good comes from", because one handbag will be a problem for the airlines. I agree with the one poster who said the more checked luggage, the less cargo the plane can carry. The less cargo the plane carries, the less profit the airline makes. If you noticed, most airlines make their money on cargo operations rather than passengers.

As for the terrorism hype, ok 9-11 happened its done that was five years ago. What many of the Europeans here feel and many Americans including myself is that we are sick of the American government getting a thrill by putting us constantly in fear. The government has done the wrong thing with 9-11, instead of helping the victims they exploit it by creating wars and new laws.

Why would checking luggage make us less safe from a terrorist threat than simply carrying it on? What instance has terrorism occured with carryon luggage? After all the bomb aboard Pan Am Flight 103 was in checked luggage. Are the TSA guys working security downstairs with checked luggage supposed to be any better than the guys working upstairs and more accurate at finding explosives etc at the passenger checkpoints?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos