Boeing 777 Engine Types?

Mon Jul 03, 2000 9:41 am

I was looking over info on AA's 777 and they state that their 777's are powered by GE engines.. when I was in SEL, I saw a bunch of Cathay Pacific 777's with Rolls Royce stickers on their engines.. Im guessing those are Rolls Royce trents.. how do these 2 engines compare?

Jason

sammyk

RE: Boeing 777 Engine Types?

Mon Jul 03, 2000 10:14 am

American Airlines also has Rolls Royce Trents on their 777s, not sure where you read otherwise, but they were wrong.

Not sure how they compare, but surely you will get A LOT of opinions from others on this board.

Sammy

AA737-823

RR Vs. GE 777

Mon Jul 03, 2000 10:21 am

I have no idea. BUT- I do know that AA uses Rolls Royce engines on their 777's as well, and raised a big stink when Boeing said that they would only offer GE on the new 772LR version. The two engines must be comparable in performance. However, GENERALLY (not always) Rolls are considered more reliable than either Pratt and Whitney or GE. However, all three manufacturers make good engines.
R

FLY DC JETS

AA737-823- Not True

Mon Jul 03, 2000 10:42 am

"However, GENERALLY (not always) Rolls are
considered more reliable than either Pratt and Whitney or GE. However,
all three manufacturers make good engines. "
Not true at all. For years Rolls-Royce engines were the least reliable engines. In fact the first engine they ever made that was really superior in reliablity to another was the RB211-535. And the only reason the -535 was really superior is because PW took their time fixing some major teething problems that PW2000 had.

The 94 inch engines (CF6, PW4000) have an inflight shutdown rate twice as good as the Rb211.

There have only been two times that Rolls-Royce has produced a more reliable engine. 1. The Rb211-535 was more reliable than the PW2000. However, PW has since fixed the problems and the engines now enjoy virtually equal ratings.
2. The Trent 800- the trent 800 has marginally better reliability figures than the PW. The GE90 is a distant third.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos