FWAERJ
Topic Author

America's Most Complete Hub?

Fri Oct 06, 2006 9:19 am

I was just wondering today: "what US airline has the most complete hub?"

For the hub to be "complete", it would have to succeed in 3 key elements:
-a large amount of nonstop international flights
-a significant amount of domestic feed (both mainline and regional)
-connecting opportunities for smaller communities within the US

Here's my views of the megahubs:

UA at ORD: Good domestic feed; very good Asian service, including China; so-so European and Latin American service
AA at ORD: Decent Asian service, including China (but not as good as UA), good European service, good domestic feed; Latin American service is via MIA
AA at DFW: Very good Latin American service and domestic service (esp. to smaller communities), decent European service; only Asian service is to NRT (let's hope that AA gets DFW-PEK)
DL at ATL: Very good domestic, European, and Latin American service; good service to smaller markets; only Asian service is to NRT
NW at MSP: Very good domestic service, so-so European and Asian service; no Latin American service
CO at EWR: Excellent European and decent Asian service (including China); not as much service to smaller markets

Which hub do you think has the best chance of becoming a truly complete hub? (Write-in suggestions are also welcome.) IMO, Delta's ATL hub has the best chance of becoming a truly complete hub. All it needs is significantly better Asian service, and especially routes to China.
"Did he really need the triple bypass? Or was it the miles?"

COERJ145

RE: America's Most Complete Hub?

Fri Oct 06, 2006 9:27 am

NW at MSP or DTW.

Quoting FWAERJ (Thread starter):
NW at MSP: Very good domestic service, so-so European and Asian service; no Latin American service

NW has a seasonal flight to Liberia, Costa Rica from MSP. That should count as Latin America

PanAm747

Fri Oct 06, 2006 9:31 am

I don't think any U.S. airport has a "complete" hub as you speak of. I think most airlines are fairly well spread out. Here's my examples:

UA:

SFO handles west coast and most of the Asia flights, with tandem service at LAX. DEN handles a lot of middle America, whereas ORD is the big international hub. Granted, UA is not huge to Europe, but their affiliation with LH handles that well. Further, IAD allows for some east-coast connections, but there is a fairly large U.S. Capital - International O&D service (IAD-KWI is a good example).

CO:

IAH is a major hub, and in fact handles the vast majority of their Latin American services. EWR, on the other hand, is perfectly situated to handle Europe-bound traffic by providing a lot of O&D service to smaller European cities from the nation's largest metropolitan area, something IAH couldn't do.

AA:

MIA and SJU have to be a cash cows for AA - the O&D numbers at both have to be staggering. Connecting traffic? That's all that SJU is, and it exists at MIA. Domestically, MIA as a hub would be ludicrous. But DFW is perfectly situated, which is its forte.

DL:

The JFK hub counts on a LOT of O&D traffic. The connecting opportunities, while existent, aren't there for a large number of places.

But it's a good staging area to judge traffic levels. If it turns out to be successful, and there's the demand for it, a flight can be added at ATL. Athens is a good example of this - great numbers JFK-ATH indicated that an ATL-ATH flight would be successful, and it was.

My two cents worth.
Pan Am:The World's Most Experienced Airline - P(oor) S(ailor's) A(irline): San Diego's Hometown Airline-Catch Our Smile!

jamincan

Fri Oct 06, 2006 9:53 am

AC at YYZ  Wink

Dornier328Jet

Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:36 am

Quoting Jamincan (Reply 3):

Lol.

I'd have to say either UA at ORD or AA out of DFW. Both have fairly complete domestic and international networks. DL at ATL is up there to, though.

We must remember, no hub in the USA is prefect. That's just the nature of the US airline industry.

N766UA

Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:59 am

Atlanta. You can go anywhere in DL's system through ATL 10 times over and on any kind of plane in the fleet. That place is ridiculous.
This Website Censors Me

roseflyer

Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:05 am

While Atlanta is the biggest and by far has the most service, I think CO at EWR is more balanced because of the number of international flights. They serve the key markets everywhere. UA at ORD is big, but does not have the number of international destinations that CO has at EWR. ORD and ATL have better domestic feed, but CO at EWR is pretty good. But all in all, it depends on where you are going as to what the best hub is. I still think that EWR is great for its combination of high O/D and connections and international service.
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!

Cessna057

Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:05 am

CO at EWR because its fairly well situated. If you need to go to Europe, with most of the US you can make a connection and it is on the way, however, with ATL, alot of people in the country have to go further south and then back north
Hold it . . . Hold it . . . HOLD THE FREAKIN NOSE UP!!

Airportguy1971

Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:28 am

F9 at DEN?

blockhead 
 crackup 
 rotfl 

flydreamliner

Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:30 am

In terms of distribution of destinations, NW at DTW has got to be awful near the top.

That said, UA out of ORD is easily #1
"Let the world change you, and you can change the world"

thomasphoto60

Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:35 am

CO at EWR: Excellent European and decent Asian service (including China); not as much service to smaller markets

Poor ol' IAH!

I suppose the late, great Rodney Dangeifield's catch phrase might apply to IAH "they just don't get no respect"

Thomas
"Show me the Braniffs"

LOT767-300ER

Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:35 am

Quoting COERJ145 (Reply 1):
NW has a seasonal flight to Liberia, Costa Rica from MSP. That should count as Latin America

Son, Liberia is in Africa and not in Latin America. Since when does NW fly to Liberia?

I say UA at ORD.

dtwclipper

Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:38 am

Quoting LOT767-300ER (Reply 11):
Son, Liberia is in Africa and not in Latin America. Since when does NW fly to Liberia?

Son, get out your geography book:

http://www.govisitcostarica.com/region/city.asp?cID=15

Libera is also in Africa, only country other then the US to have it's capital named after a US president.
Compare New York Air, the Airline that works for your Business

thomasphoto60

Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:42 am

Quoting Dtwclipper (Reply 12):

Son, get out your geography book:

http://www.govisitcostarica.com/region/city.asp?cID=15

Libera is also in Africa, only country other then the US to have it's capital named after a US president.

I've been to both Liberia's and definitely prefer the Costa Rican city over the West African nation.

Thomas
"Show me the Braniffs"

ordryan28

Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:49 am

UA @ ORD, without a doubt
Whoever said winning is not everything never fought cancer.

SESGDL

Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:09 pm

I don't think any airline can touch DL at ATL. Over 70 international destinations, for a total of over 240 destinations on (soon to be) 5 continents. No other airline has anything close, not by destinations served, passengers carried, or number of continents. People who are saying ORD must not realize that UA Express has more flights than mainline UA. After ATL, it's difficult because other large hubs aren't well balanced. While ATL only has service to NRT, DFW only has service to NRT (KIX is being discontinued again). DFW is close, because it's the only hub comparable in size to ATL (but it also only has service to 4 European destinations (LGW, CDG, FRA, and ZRH), and IAH has become a juggernaut for CO, but only serves 3 European destinations. After ATL, DFW, and IAH, I'd say UA at ORD as it's the most balanced with international service.

Jeremy

commavia

Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:21 pm

I was just wondering today: "what US airline has the most complete hub?"

Well, based on the criteria you've laid out, the clear winner in the "complete" department would have to be Delta's Atlanta hub.

It is by far the world's largest hub, with a bevy of international flights to cities throughout Europe and Latin America, and now even flights to the Mid East and Africa. Internationally, the only deficiency for Atlanta is that it has virtually no presence in the Asia market, with only a single daily flight to Tokyo. Domestically, once again, it wins hands down with flights to dozens of cities throughout the U.S., and service to the vast majority of states on a year-round or seasonal basis. In addition, many of these cities are smaller communities along the eastern seaboard and the Atlantic southeast.

The only other hub, in my view, that comes close to Atlanta in terms of its "completeness" is American's D/FW hub. While it is not as big as Atlanta international or domestically, it still holds its own with nonstop flights to four of Europe's largest economic and political capitals, plus cities throughout Latin America, and flights to Tokyo. Domestically, it has a massive amount of feed to cities throughout the United States and provides feed to many smaller cities and towns in the south and midwest, some of which have D/FW as their only nonstop hub service.

tz757300

Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:34 pm

Quoting PanAm747 (Reply 2):
Athens is a good example of this - great numbers JFK-ATH indicated that an ATL-ATH flight would be successful, and it was.

If an ATL-ATH flight did well, why did they get rid of it?
LETS GO MOUNTAINEERS!

COSPN

Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:39 pm

CO EWR,

HNL,TLV, anyplace in the UK, Ireland with a "Driveway" over 6000ft,(If you Live in UK,Ireland and have a long driveway please post a private property sign or you might wake up to a CO 752 in front of your house  Smile )Brazil,NRT,HKG,PEK,almost everyplace NY/NJ'ers want to go, PVG soon {I hope}

ptugarin

Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:44 pm

Quoting COSPN (Reply 18):
CO EWR,

Agree 100%, despite the lack of flights to Australia and Africa

SESGDL

Fri Oct 06, 2006 2:22 pm

Quoting TZ757300 (Reply 17):

If an ATL-ATH flight did well, why did they get rid of it?

Huh? It's currently operating 5x weekly.

Jeremy

captaink

Fri Oct 06, 2006 2:32 pm

Though not being from the US, i have a special affinity for US Airways. Noone mentioned them how sad  Sad.

But I guess they are far from having complete hubs. PHL, European gateway, few caribbean/latin america. CLT, more caribbean/latin america, few European. Not sure about US West operations.
There is something special about planes....

masseybrown

Fri Oct 06, 2006 6:55 pm

Quoting SESGDL (Reply 15):
I don't think any airline can touch DL at ATL.

Hasn't South America been a steady loser for Delta? Sooner or later bankrupt airlines realize they are not in the route development business.

tz757300

Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:04 pm

Quoting SESGDL (Reply 20):
Huh? It's currently operating 5x weekly.

I'm not trying to doubt you, but are you sure? You can't book the nonstop on the DL website.

Quoting PanAm747 (Reply 2):
Athens is a good example of this - great numbers JFK-ATH indicated that an ATL-ATH flight would be successful, and it was.
LETS GO MOUNTAINEERS!

db373

Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:11 pm

Quoting Cessna057 (Reply 7):
CO at EWR because its fairly well situated. If you need to go to Europe, with most of the US you can make a connection and it is on the way, however, with ATL, alot of people in the country have to go further south and then back north

Disagree. EWR meets the qualifications for international, but it still doesn't have the same domestic connecting oppurtunites as ATL, DFW, or ORD.
Keep Delta My Delta

texdravid

Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:19 pm

Quoting Thomasphoto60 (Reply 10):
Poor ol' IAH!

I suppose the late, great Rodney Dangeifield's catch phrase might apply to IAH "they just don't get no respect"

Thomas

True, but in Texas, it is king. Don't let the DFW people convince you otherwise, Thomas!!

Cheers,
Tex
Tort reform now. Throw lawyers in jail later.

SESGDL

Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:59 pm

Quoting MasseyBrown (Reply 22):
Hasn't South America been a steady loser for Delta? Sooner or later bankrupt airlines realize they are not in the route development business.

DL has been extremely successful to South America. Last summer they even operated ATL-SCL twice daily on some days. They now have the 2nd or 3rd largest US-Latin/South America hub at ATL. They have also continued this growth with many new destinations starting this winter and more are on the way.

Jeremy

Lemurs

Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:17 pm

Quoting Db373 (Reply 24):
Disagree. EWR meets the qualifications for international, but it still doesn't have the same domestic connecting oppurtunites as ATL, DFW, or ORD.

How is that measured by the way? From what I can tell, there are a huge number of domestic connecting opportunities out of EWR. Maybe not as many DL at ATL, but we're talking about a few tertiary cities here at most, right? Are there numbers that show directly how many direct city-to-city flights there are by carrier from a particular airport? Be interesting to look at.

Regardless, the one thing CO is fanatical about when it comes to both hubs is frequencies. They fly too many RJ's perhaps, but only because they want 4-5 ops per day between those city pairs versus 2-3 737 ops. It's really a business traveler's best friend in a lot of cases.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary, and those that don't.

luisde8cd

Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:40 pm

Quoting MasseyBrown (Reply 22):

I really doubt that. There has been nothing but route upgrades in South America this year.

Son, Liberia is in Africa and not in Latin America.

*Sigh* this is another example of why the US Education System has a serious downfall when it comes to Geography.

http://www.vacationcity.com/costa-rica/liberia-airport/

Saludos desde Caracas,
Luis

captaink

Sat Oct 07, 2006 12:48 am

Quoting Luisde8cd (Reply 28):
*Sigh* this is another example of why the US Education System has a serious downfall when it comes to Geography.

I didn't follow, theh American dude was talking about LIbera Costa Rica, the Polish said, Liberia is in Africa. Both are correct as Liberia is a city in Costa Rica and country in Afrida. How does the US Education System fault?
There is something special about planes....

Lemurs

Sat Oct 07, 2006 12:56 am

Quoting Captaink (Reply 29):
I didn't follow, theh American dude was talking about LIbera Costa Rica, the Polish said, Liberia is in Africa. Both are correct as Liberia is a city in Costa Rica and country in Afrida. How does the US Education System fault?

rotfl 
Well, thank you for proving the educational system in Grenada works at least.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary, and those that don't.

2travel2know

Sat Oct 07, 2006 12:59 am

IMHO, ATL may be U.S.A. most complete hub, even if flights to the Far East and Africa are almost non-existant.
EWR, DFW or ORD could be a close 2nd, but DFW and ORD do lack good Latinamerican service. IAH does win over DFW and ORD when it comes to Latinamerican/Caribbean flights.
AA MIA hub is a big hub too, but its mostly an International<>International and Domestic<>International hub.
I don't work for COPA Airlines!

galapagapop

Sat Oct 07, 2006 2:48 am

AA's DFW is full of them mAAd Dogs, they got tons of domestic feed, good location, and decent number of latin american routes. ATL is certainly there as well, but not sure if ya can beat those working Dogs.

mpdpilot

Sat Oct 07, 2006 3:02 am

I have to say I think that ATL beats them all. But I think some of us are over looking DTW. DTW has almost all of NW asian, euopean, Latin american ( however small) traffic. DTW also serves just about every NW destination accept for some very small communities west of MSP. I think DTW has a very well rounded service, accept latin america where NW lacks intirely. I have to say they also have probably the best facility of the bunch. so that is my two cents
One mile of highway gets you one mile, one mile of runway gets you anywhere.

AADC10

Sat Oct 07, 2006 3:27 am

Obviously the US hub with the best balance of international destinations (except to Latin America) would have to be the combined UA-AA hub at ORD. For a single airline it would have to be DL at ATL, since DL depends very heavily on it.

Having too much at a single airport is not necessarily a good thing. It is good for passengers in providing many destinations, but fares may higher since the hub airline will protect it from compeditors. Most airlines use different hubs and gateways for different purposes. Coastal hubs or focus cities are often in the largest cities and have the bulk of the international flights. Hubs in the middle of the country often used for domestic service. Trying to have a hub be all things at once strains capacity and is easier for the competition to undermine with direct flights elsewhere.

SLCUT2777

Sat Oct 07, 2006 4:39 am

Quoting Captaink (Reply 29):
How does the US Education System fault?

Not to go into thread drift or off-topic but look no further than the NEA  gnasher !

Quoting Thomasphoto60 (Reply 10):
Poor ol' IAH!

Thomas

Despite the lack of respect many give the CO hub at IAH, I think the DL hub @SLC gets slammed more than just about any significant hub in the U.S.
DELTA Air Lines; The Only Way To Fly from Salt Lake City; Let the Western Heritage always be with Delta!

QFSYD744

Sat Oct 07, 2006 4:53 am

JFK, LAX, MIA, ORD

JFK#1 International U.S. gateway
LAX#2 International U.S. gateway
MIA#3 International U.S. gateway
ORD#4 International U.S. gateway

LAX#1 O/D Airport in the World

Interstingly everyone here is saying that Atlanta has so mych wonderful international feed, yet it handles only 6 million international pax a year while LAX handles 18 million.

Many airline fly to LAX that dont serve the so called almighty Atlanta such as:

Air New Zealand - NAN/PPT/AKL/CHC
Air Tahiti Nui - CDG/PPT
Qantas - AKL/SYD/MEL/BNE
Air China - PEK
China Southern - CAN
China Eastern - PVG
Asiana - ICN
Cathay Pacific - HKG
China Airlines - TPE
EVA Airways - TPE
Philippine Airlines -MNL
Singapore Airlines - NRT/SIN/TPE
Malaysia Airlines - TPE/KUL
Thai Airways - BKK
Air Pacific - NAN
All Nippon - NRT
Air India - FRA/DEL
Air Madrid - MAD
Aeroflot - SVO
Aer Lingus - DUB
LTU - DUS
Virgin Atlantic - LHR

Source - LAX" target=_blank>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LAX

LAX, ATL, EWR, JFK, IAD, DFW, IAH, ORD, MSP, DTW, DEN

LAX, ATL, EWR, JFK, IAD, DFW, IAH, ORD, MSP, DTW, DEN

[Edited 2006-10-06 22:14:23]
I Still Call Australia Home

phishphan70

Sat Oct 07, 2006 5:01 am

i think i would have to say NW at DTW and MSP is right up there with Delta in Atlanta. but as someone who flys NW from SFO-MSP or DTW atleast twice a year, you can see more northwest aircraft at either airport then i thought they had!

thegreatchecko

Sat Oct 07, 2006 5:09 am

How about MEM on FX. They have nonstops everywhere. Probably the only hub that really meets the three criteria in the US.

bigthumbsup 

Checko
"A pilot's plane she is. She will love you if you deserve it, and try to kill you if you don't...She is the Mighty Q400"

gigneil

Sat Oct 07, 2006 5:19 am

Quoting Galapagapop (Reply 32):
ATL is certainly there as well, but not sure if ya can beat those working Dogs.

There's no contest. ATL serves more destinations domestically and internationally.

N

Lemurs

Sat Oct 07, 2006 5:20 am

Quoting QFSYD744 (Reply 36):

RE: LAX...yes LAX is an awesome O/D airport...but it's no one's awesome hub, and that is kind of the gist of this whole thread, and the reason it hasn't been brought up yet. JFK for the same reason.

Alitalia744

Sat Oct 07, 2006 5:24 am

Many airline fly to LAX that dont serve the so called almighty Atlanta such as:

Air New Zealand - NAN/PPT/AKL/CHC
Air Tahiti Nui - CDG/PPT
Qantas - AKL/SYD/MEL/BNE
Air China - PEK
China Southern - CAN
China Eastern - PVG
Asiana - ICN
Cathay Pacific - HKG
China Airlines - TPE
EVA Airways - TPE
Philippine Airlines -MNL
Singapore Airlines - NRT/SIN/TPE
Malaysia Airlines - TPE/KUL
Thai Airways - BKK
Air Pacific - NAN
All Nippon - NRT
Air India - FRA/DEL
Air Madrid - MAD
Aeroflot - SVO
Aer Lingus - DUB
LTU - DUS
Virgin Atlantic - LHR

Mighty impressive list, but many international carriers a hub does not make.
Some see lines, others see between the lines.

QFSYD744

Sat Oct 07, 2006 5:28 am

Quoting Gigneil (Reply 39):
There's no contest. ATL serves more destinations domestically and internationally

FYI -

JFK, LAX, MIA, ORD

JFK#1 International U.S. gateway
LAX#2 International U.S. gateway
MIA#3 International U.S. gateway
ORD#4 International U.S. gateway
I Still Call Australia Home

Glareskin

Sat Oct 07, 2006 5:30 am

First I'd like to say that the title is misleading; this is about one-airline-hubs.

As an international traveller that frequently visits the US I feel ORD and LAX the most complete hubs since more airlines use it as such. ATL is a fine Delta hub, not more.
There's still a long way to go before all the alliances deserve a star...

SESGDL

Sat Oct 07, 2006 5:31 am

Quoting Galapagapop (Reply 32):
AA's DFW is full of them mAAd Dogs, they got tons of domestic feed, good location, and decent number of latin american routes. ATL is certainly there as well, but not sure if ya can beat those working Dogs.

DL's ATL hub has significantly more capacity and flights than AA at DFW. While AA uses MD-80s everywhere, DL often has 757s and 767s to places. DL also serves many destinations which wouldn't seem economical: YEG, BOI, RNO, YQB, YOW, etc.

LAX#1 O/D Airport in the World

No it's not, LHR is the #1 O&D airport in the world. LAX is the largest in the US.

Interstingly everyone here is saying that Atlanta has so mych wonderful international feed, yet it handles only 6 million international pax a year while LAX handles 18 million.

Those figures are for a few years ago. DL has grown international capacity at ATL by 35% since 2004 when those statistics are likely from. 24% since 2005, so those numbers should approach 10 million soon.

Quoting Phishphan70 (Reply 37):
i think i would have to say NW at DTW and MSP is right up there with Delta in Atlanta.

Are you joking? DL at ATL and AA at DFW are twice the size of NW's DTW and MSP hubs.

Quoting Gigneil (Reply 39):
There's no contest. ATL serves more destinations domestically and internationally.

As well as with more capacity and more frequency.

I think it's hard to say that any hub is more complete than DL's ATL hub.

Jeremy

OzarkD9S

Sat Oct 07, 2006 5:32 am

I'm gonna throw in my two cents and say ORD. A two alliance hub, combine AA/UA with Star/oneworld and it's probably the best connected airport in the US. ATL and DFW come close, but are basically one-airline/alliance towns (on a global scale).

Until ATL and DFW get LHR service...they won't be in the same league as ORD. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that if you out of ORD you have more one-stop options globally within the same alliance network(s) than either ATL or DFW.
Next up: STL-OAK-RNO-LAS-ICT-STL

777STL

Sat Oct 07, 2006 6:00 am

Quoting SESGDL (Reply 44):
DL's ATL hub has significantly more capacity and flights than AA at DFW. While AA uses MD-80s everywhere, DL often has 757s and 767s to places. DL also serves many destinations which wouldn't seem economical: YEG, BOI, RNO, YQB, YOW, etc.

And AA doesn't have 757s and 767s out of DFW? American has more 757s, 767s and 777s combined than DL does.

DL is only bigger at ATL because DL is much more focused of an airline, despite being smaller than AA.

Anyway, I'd say the most complete hub is ORD. Between AA, UA and the service from international carriers, ORD is the most complete US hub. ATL is big and is the single biggest one carrier hub, no doubt, but it doesn't have the combined service ORD does.
PHX based

brilondon

Sat Oct 07, 2006 6:11 am

Quoting Jamincan (Reply 3):
AC at YYZ

I completely agree that this is a complete hub. To bad YYZ is also the most expensive hub in NA to connect with  thumbsdown  . AC has let it be known for a while that it would like to move its hub to YUL but for the lack of room  crowded  there for hub operations.
Rush for ever; Yankees all the way!!

l1011buff

Sat Oct 07, 2006 7:09 am

I live near PHL and use US fairly often. With regard to their system, they have a great deal of feeding from smaller airlines, plus their entire European service there, plus a lot of Carribean service. I hope to see extension into South America and Asia with them one day soon. Anyone's thoughts? Kev

yellowtail

Sat Oct 07, 2006 7:19 am

Quoting Texdravid (Reply 25):
True, but in Texas, it is king. Don't let the DFW people convince you otherwise, Thomas!

Oh..boy..better duck...flames are a coming....just wait till those DFWers get over their afternoon hangovers!

Me personally..Houston anyday!!!!
When in doubt, hold on to your altitude. No-one has ever collided with the sky.