Hagic
Topic Author

Flying Out Of LGA On Saturdays

Sat Oct 07, 2006 3:48 pm

Hello A.net fellows,

I have an AC flight out of LGA next Saturday with the following schedule:

LGA - YYZ: 11:30 - 13:04
YYZ - YWG: 14:50 - 16:20

My concern is the short connecting time at YYZ (1h46min) to clear Canadian customs and switch from terminal 2 to 1 to get in the plane to YWG.

I've experienced some delays at LGA on weekdays. Can anyone tell me his experience with LGA on Saturdays? I can't afford any delay in my departure this time out.

Thanks a lot.
There's only one freedom of the press: That of the survivors - (G. Arciniegas)

ADXMatt

RE: Flying Out Of LGA On Saturdays

Sat Oct 07, 2006 4:26 pm

There is a lot LESS volume on Sat/Sun so delays are less to none.

Barring and weather problems you should be fine.

RobertS975

Sat Oct 07, 2006 9:23 pm

As stated, the weekend schedule at LGA is much more manageable... the shuttles operate every other hour, and many express/connection flights do not operate on weekends.

tinpusher007

Sat Oct 07, 2006 9:39 pm

LGA is so dead on Sat, that usually only one rwy is used for both arrivals and departures without any delays or long waits on the ground. You should be fine.
"Flying isn't inherently dangerous...but very unforgiving of carelessness, incapacity or neglect."

LGA777

Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:38 pm

Not to disagree with some of the above posts but due to Runway construction on Saturdays (13-31 has been closed the last two) there can be delays and some long waits for takeoff. Hagic you will still probably be fine, I just checked AC's website and there are 4 later flights that day from YYZ-YWG, worst case scenerio you take the next flight out of YYZ at 1605. My free advice, as you are about to board your flight in LGA if it is running late and or they are annocing runway delays ask the gate agent if they can protect you on the 1605 departure out of YYZ (which keeps your original booking and also gives you a seat on the next one). This is very common practice and will give you a little piece of mind. Enjoy NYC and LGA.

Cheers

LGA777

planesarecool

Sun Oct 08, 2006 2:31 am

Slightly off topic, I was just wondering why are flights to destinations over 1500 miles allowed only on Saturdays, and do any airlines operate Saturday only flights from LGA to the West?

wjcandee

Sun Oct 08, 2006 3:24 am

Quoting Hagic (Thread starter):
I can't afford any delay in my departure this time out.

Then don't fly from New York. Any airline enthusiast should know that delays happen, particularly in the Northeast, and you can't predict when they will happen. Also, just because you don't go right from the gate to the runway doesn't mean that you're "delayed". More often than not, LGA flights have built into their schedule a big hunk of taxi/sitting time.

Quoting Planesarecool (Reply 5):
I was just wondering why are flights to destinations over 1500 miles allowed only on Saturdays, and do any airlines operate Saturday only flights from LGA to the West

There are lots of threads on this, and it's easy to look up on Google, too. But the bottom line is that because traffic at LGA is so much lower on Saturday, there is no need for the restriction. ATA did a LGA-SFO flight for a while, with some great loads and some not-so-great loads. That stopped a while ago. Although your question was about the West, I should also say that USAirways often runs/ran trips to places like Aruba (about 2000 miles) on Sat-only as well.

tinpusher007

Sun Oct 08, 2006 3:41 am

Quoting Planesarecool (Reply 5):
Slightly off topic, I was just wondering why are flights to destinations over 1500 miles allowed only on Saturdays, and do any airlines operate Saturday only flights from LGA to the West?

DL also has Sat only flights to LAX from LGA.
"Flying isn't inherently dangerous...but very unforgiving of carelessness, incapacity or neglect."

phllax

Sun Oct 08, 2006 10:18 am

US operates flights on Saturdays to AUA, STT and SJU